Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

nordichammer posted:

Thanks for the Skul overview.

Question that I hope makes sense: are there upgrades in each run that serve as upgrades rather than sidegrades (not talking about legendary or upgraded classes).

An example of what I mean would be boons from Hades as opposed to weapons in Dead Cells. Boons all enhance your skillset, whereas the weapons in Dead Cells just change your skillset.

I find myself craving more games that make me feel more powerful over the course of the run (Hades, Risk of Rain 2) rather than getting new weapons that may or may not help me out (Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon). I want the power fantasy to ramp up.

Yes, the items you find. A few examples
https://skul.fandom.com/wiki/Items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Baller Time posted:

I just can't get the "Start new game, take one step, die from falling rock trap" experience anywhere else, though
Spelunky 2 or Catacomb Kids. :j:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

With regards to Skul, you get a ton of quartz on a full clear. I went from getting the 300-800 mentioned before to almost 8000 on my successful run. That's a pretty huge increase in run to run power, even outside the additional base NPCs you can unlock that give you starter benefits.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Skul is neat so far but something about the combat just feels off. Skul's base moveset is just stiff in a way that feels weird to me.

I had to turn beginner mode on because I was constantly hitting the first boss with like half hp from the swarms of enemies in the areas before or the dumb Ent fart clouds. It's a crutch but whatever.

e: A few more runs in and I can consistantly make it to the second boss but the second form just wrecks me. Definitely echoing what people said about class RNG though cuz sometimes you just get hosed.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 22, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Skul is neat so far but something about the combat just feels off. Skul's base moveset is just stiff in a way that feels weird to me.

Yeah some classes feel too stiff, it's what I was commenting in my post about the attack/move timings.

Tricky posted:

With regards to Skul, you get a ton of quartz on a full clear. I went from getting the 300-800 mentioned before to almost 8000 on my successful run. That's a pretty huge increase in run to run power, even outside the additional base NPCs you can unlock that give you starter benefits.

So you get that much uh. I knew you get more and more as you advanced, but I didn't know the 'final' amount. Maximum I got was 1000 after getting to the 3 adventurers fight.

edit: I got the ArchLich in the first world by random luck and he owns. Again, the class balance is out of wack
Also, not only they should look at class balance, but item balance too:

Move speed +100% + Air AS +70% + extra jump. Lol.

I can only think the devs are too accustomed to gacha games in Asia and they consider normal these swings of luck as part of video games.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 22, 2021

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I haven't really had much complaints in terms of run luck. My first win was definitely helped significantly by some good skulls and items, but I just finished a run where I took humble Sword all the way to legendary and pulled out a win despite a failed attempt at collecting the Spirit King set. Getting some upgrades in at the witch really reduces the difficulty of Act 1 and 2, letting you play more towards getting bone shards or just rushing nine items.

If you can make it past triple adventurers, you have a pretty good shot at going all the way. That's probably the single biggest roadblock outside of some of the things in Act 4.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if you had a win already you are a much better player than me.

In other news, I don't know how to feel about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfyIKoPUIA

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is this... is this just AFK Arena with permadeath mechanics?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i kind of have genuinely no idea what is happening in golden light and i'm not sure if that's a positive thing in any way it might usually be

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That game was made by the fellow who made a click-spam game which gives you RSI after clicking 50x/sec for 30 minutes, and whose victory is dependent on rng lucky drops since it's not possible to physically click fast enough.

Just... be aware.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seems like a perfectly reasonable game in terms of the overall flow of it, but beyond that it also feels incredibly hostile to the idea of me actually playing it and/or having any idea why anything i'm doing actually matters in a concrete sense

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What roguelike should I play tonight thread? What's on your most recent played list?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

assuming you accept stuff on the lite end of the roguex spectrum, my drugs of choice have been Dicey Dungeons, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, and SYNTHETIK

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
On a similar note, is there a list of good turn-based roguelikes (or roguelites, whatever, I don't care)? I feel like most of the ones discussed in this thread recently have been real-time/action, and while I don't mind those generally it's something that scratches a different itch for me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Try Demon. One of the best, and tragically underappreciated.

Someone should really fix the OP or start a new thread. It's over 6 years old now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been enjoying Zorbus which is goon made as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for free ones i always recommend infra arcana and doomrl for quirkier ones that aren't always talked about in the main 'canon' of roguelikes

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

have you tried crown trick

also the number of goon dev ones that always get recommended here

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a big fan of Golden Krone Hotel. I know for the most part its a simplified version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, but man if it doesn't execute that really well.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Arzaac posted:

I'm a big fan of Golden Krone Hotel. I know for the most part its a simplified version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, but man if it doesn't execute that really well.

I've been playing that recently. Wish it has a god mode or something so I could just screw around with mechanics a bit. I always enjoy doing that.

I'm actually a big fan of cheating a run or two in roguelikes to help me understand the later levels better and experience the game. Control, while not a roguelike, was really cool with that. Had all kinds of options so I could still play the game as intended, but gave you options for like infinite mana, can't die (but can still run to 1 hp) etc. When you have limited time with a game but enjoy the core gameplay and story, it's a nice option.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Midboss is old, and not that big a game, but it's good and turn-based.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Made it to the fourth area in Skul and I wanna like the game but the third and fourth areas really just highlight how much you need specific items or skulls to not turn the game into a tedious slog.

They throw so many enemies at you that if you just get bad rng and stuck with lower tier ones you're just not having fun anymore slowly killing things. And this is with rookie mode on. I can't imagine how tedious the game is when enemies deal even more damage.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Made it to the fourth area in Skul and I wanna like the game but the third and fourth areas really just highlight how much you need specific items or skulls to not turn the game into a tedious slog.

They throw so many enemies at you that if you just get bad rng and stuck with lower tier ones you're just not having fun anymore slowly killing things. And this is with rookie mode on. I can't imagine how tedious the game is when enemies deal even more damage.

Yeah, in those areas the health scaling can be noticed. You need a good synergy with the items going on to compensate, apart of a decent class.

I also with some QoL items like autoattack holding the button instead of smashing it, or having two choices of the same tier for the skulls as the end of the level, so I can avoid a few I dislike.
Also, the same levels and same bosses are starting to get repetitive after the first dozen hours, this isn't Dead Cells. But then again, it’s a 14€ game so I won't complain loudly in that regard.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Clarste posted:

On a similar note, is there a list of good turn-based roguelikes (or roguelites, whatever, I don't care)? I feel like most of the ones discussed in this thread recently have been real-time/action, and while I don't mind those generally it's something that scratches a different itch for me.

I've been getting back into DoomRL lately, and of course its spiritual sequel Jupiter Hell is in EA now.

Perennial goon-made thread favourites Dungeonmans and Sproggiwood are still good.

Golden Krone Hotel has already been recommended and is definitely worth a look.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Clarste posted:

I'd highly reccomend Sil and Cogmind. Sil is super traditional (tolkien, dwarves, axes) and basically a TED talk in elegant design of mechanics and transparency to the player - I consider playing it almost mandatory for RL fans. Cogmind is a personal favorite, but it's a paid product with a massive amount of production value & lore, and focuses strongly around item destruction (blow a gun off of an enemy, strap it to yourself, have them return the favor).

Other well-known classics include Angband, DCSS, DoomRL etc but I assume you know of them. The doom one is good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Also Caves of Qud for a quality turn based roguelike in a very unorthodox setting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, and I forgot to mention Approaching Infinity (aka Star Trek RL) which is now available on Steam and getting regular updates.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'd read that skul has balance issues before trying it, but I didn't expect the difference to be between "owns a sword" and "is literally the grim reaper" lol.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What's the state of Shiren on Switch? Is it in a better state than the PC release? I'm a fan of the DS version and I'd like to give it another try.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

beer gas canister posted:

What's the state of Shiren on Switch? Is it in a better state than the PC release? I'm a fan of the DS version and I'd like to give it another try.

The switch version is good. It doesn't have the achievements from the vita and steam versions, if you care about those, but it runs great and doesn't have any bugs that I'm aware of.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Having now made it to St Joan a few times in Skul, I have honestly no idea what kind of combination you need to beat her. The way the arena is set up for her second phase is really lovely and seems to favor specific setups. I was having a blast with Yakasa and Destroyer (both legendaries) up until her. She does so much damage and there's so much crap floating around that does chip damage that it's just not a fun fight. I guess you need some legendary ranged/mage ones? This is on rookie mode too, it seems completely unbearable otherwise. Might throw in the towel at this point.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I believe the Skul devs are due to have some kind of Roadmap post incoming in the near'ish future---have to imagine ample late game touching up is going to happen alongside any number of other things.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Memnaelar posted:

So I'm looking at Gordian Quest and Trials of Fire as two card-based games to add to my ever-expanding collection of early access could-be-good card builders. Anyone have any strong thoughts about either to help me choose between them?

Hey this is from a month ago, but I just got into Gordian Quest and I'm absolutely loving it. It's a mix of Slay the Spire and Darkest Dungeon gameplay with great music and aesthetic. I really recommend it if anyone's looking for something new.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Having now made it to St Joan a few times in Skul, I have honestly no idea what kind of combination you need to beat her. The way the arena is set up for her second phase is really lovely and seems to favor specific setups. I was having a blast with Yakasa and Destroyer (both legendaries) up until her. She does so much damage and there's so much crap floating around that does chip damage that it's just not a fun fight. I guess you need some legendary ranged/mage ones? This is on rookie mode too, it seems completely unbearable otherwise. Might throw in the towel at this point.

Basically, you want things that can air combo or otherwise drop a bunch of damage and move away and don't move around a lot. Destroyer is really good in a lot of situations, but not this specific fight. I've taken Ninja, Rock Star, Dark Paladin, Sword, Thief through her... Like, yeah, absolutely it's a lot easier if you get something like Gambler or Archlich or a good spammable Quintessence build, but it's less about needing a specific skull and more just making sure that you have coverage for different types of threats.

Act 4 Hero and Act 4 Boss are basically the hard check on whether your setup is good enough for First Hero, since you just have a shop left before the end.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

code:
nethack.png
:hmmyes:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tricky posted:

Basically, you want things that can air combo or otherwise drop a bunch of damage and move away and don't move around a lot. Destroyer is really good in a lot of situations, but not this specific fight. I've taken Ninja, Rock Star, Dark Paladin, Sword, Thief through her... Like, yeah, absolutely it's a lot easier if you get something like Gambler or Archlich or a good spammable Quintessence build, but it's less about needing a specific skull and more just making sure that you have coverage for different types of threats.

Act 4 Hero and Act 4 Boss are basically the hard check on whether your setup is good enough for First Hero, since you just have a shop left before the end.

I decided to give it one more go and...

:toot:

I was practically handed this victory though. Got Grim Reaper and the Legendary Quintessence that decreases skill cooldown by 80% and does an absurdly huge nuke in the second area and sleptwalk through the rest of the game. The Hero's Apprentice in the 4th area was the only thing that actually was dangerous. St Joan and the first hero both went down without even trying, which is kinda lame but that's just the nature of how swingy the balance is. Getting the super spirit from having 5 was also pretty loving nutty.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Become some Dice, not so unlike some Decks, before it all seems to get Better in the relatively near future:

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice

quote:

Circadian Dice is a game inspired by single-player deck-building games, but instead of upgrading a deck, you build up a set of dice!

Overview
A cosmic entity has twisted time into an endless cycle. By observing the repeating patterns, the entity intends to destroy all uncertainty and ultimately control reality.

In Circadian Dice, you control a group of heroes that have managed to step outside this unnatural cycle, and are now setting out to find and destroy its source. You will need to overcome a series of skirmishes by upgrading your dice to bend chance in your favor, and strategically using your limited resources to defeat your enemies.

While the heroes and their dice are restored to normal after each scenario (whether they die or succeed), any upgrades, relics, abilities, and modifiers that you have unlocked persist - so your tools are constantly improving! The better you perform in battle, the quicker you will build your arsenal and progress through the game towards your ultimate goal to break the loop and save
the universe.

Features
A game about probability manipulation and combo crafting: shape 6-sided dice into weapons of destruction, generators of wealth, magic conduits, or stat-boosting machines!
11 scenarios, available in Normal and Hard Mode. In Hard Mode, each scenario is significantly changed with new enemies, secrets, and challenges!
Unlockable Endless and Campaign ("roguelite") modes that turn the game from a skirmish-based adventure into an intense survival challenge.
6 different heroes with unique characteristics and play styles.
36 unlockable and equippable Relics that provide your hero with new abilities, change your stats, and give you game-warping bonuses.
60 different abilities that strengthen your hero, manipulate your dice, or damage your enemies.
A semi-random upgrade mechanic for each scenario and hero, that ensures new combo opportunities every time you play.
55 enemies and 23 bosses, each with different characteristics and abilities.
(Almost) every enemy can be captured in your dice to give you bonuses and new attacks based on the enemy's attributes!
Rare random enemy mutations that can either make your adventure harder, or be turned to your benefit.
Built for quick pick-up-and-play sessions: each scenario takes between 10 and 30 minutes to play, and is designed as a stand-alone challenge.
High replayability: random mutators, semi-random upgrade opportunities, and near-infinite combo possibilities makes each run of a scenario unique!
Extensive tooltips for every element in the game help you learn and strategize.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I decided to give it one more go and...

:toot:

I was practically handed this victory though. Got Grim Reaper and the Legendary Quintessence that decreases skill cooldown by 80% and does an absurdly huge nuke in the second area and sleptwalk through the rest of the game. The Hero's Apprentice in the 4th area was the only thing that actually was dangerous. St Joan and the first hero both went down without even trying, which is kinda lame but that's just the nature of how swingy the balance is. Getting the super spirit from having 5 was also pretty loving nutty.

Grats! I still haven't seen Reaper come up. Legendary Ninja is extremely good, though, especially when you go all-in on on-hit damage. I appreciate the gimmick of getting a different set of skills to use in the air, too, which really helps shore up its one weakness in vanilla Ninja form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Become some Dice, not so unlike some Decks, before it all seems to get Better in the relatively near future:

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice
Huh, that seems kinda neat.