Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At the start of Journey to the Savage Planet you're instructed to select "your" picture as part of a post-stasis psych evaluation test to confirm you can identify yourself correctly in a lineup from a bunch of random photos. One of the pictures is of a dog, and if you pick it the game will replace your standard grunt noises (jump, impact, death, etc) with dog sounds :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm playing through the Daud DLC for Dishonored. You can summon an Assassin to help you out during combat. If there's nobody else around, and you parry (hold the sword up to your face), the Assassin mirrors the move in a little fencing salute before teleporting away.

They also remark on the environment around them, things you've done, etc.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sloth Socks posted:

In NIGHT IN THE WOODS, the options menu has a note from Mae's therapist: "Options... it's good" and I think about that every time I open an options menu. It's good.

Graphics options being "Good/Bad/Ugly" in West of Loathing was a great little gag. Too bad about the dev

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Graphics options being "Good/Bad/Ugly" in West of Loathing was a great little gag. Too bad about the dev

Oh no, what did the dev do

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh no, what did the dev do

Bad abusive things

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Probably not the thread for it but https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-23-games-professor-accuses-kingdom-of-loathing-designer-of-abuse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ruffian Price posted:

That really should have been in Red Dead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Holy hell, the updates to Ghost of Tsushima finally added in cutscene skipping. That was like the only blemish holding it back from perfection. Total GOTY material even before all the Legends/NG+ additions.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cyberpunk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A crowbar is non-lethal? Did a cop write that?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
As long as you're not being all Manhunty with it, I'm sure it can be.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

One of the missions in Cyberpunk is to find a bunch of AI taxis that have separated from the main taxi depot and they're basically the AI cores in Portal 2, GLaDOS being one of them with direct references to Portal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiiQTtg65II

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

A crowbar is non-lethal? Did a cop write that?

Everyone you fight if kitted out with cybernetics in at least some form, so I give the blunt weapons all being non-lethal a pass.

Even my gorilla arms that send people flying fifteen feet on a charged attack.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bussamove posted:

Everyone you fight if kitted out with cybernetics in at least some form, so I give the blunt weapons all being non-lethal a pass.

Even my gorilla arms that send people flying fifteen feet on a charged attack.

Do you have buzzsaw hands to go with those gorilla arms?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do you have buzzsaw hands to go with those gorilla arms?

Sadly mantis blades are mutually exclusive to gorilla arms AND the rocket launcher arm.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shoulda just trust your fists, the true non-lethal weapon.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Shoulda just trust your fists, the true non-lethal weapon.

I should probably mention that “Gorilla Arms” is literally the name of the cybernetics that are giant punching arms and not me trying to be funny.

They’re non-lethal... most of the time. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bussamove posted:

the rocket launcher arm

Really struggling to resist the siren song of Venom Snake 2077

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Non-lethal" doesn't mean "won't cause permanent damage." Haven't you all seen Terminator 2?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cyberpunk is suddenly a lot more RPG like than I thought. It isn't a looter shooter is it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ilmucche posted:

Cyberpunk is suddenly a lot more RPG like than I thought. It isn't a looter shooter is it?

It's an open world RPG, made by a company best known for making big RPGs (Witcher 1 and 2 weren't quite 'open world' but they had pretty big zones you progressed through). I dunno why you'd think it would be otherwise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bewilderment posted:

It's an open world RPG, made by a company best known for making big RPGs (Witcher 1 and 2 weren't quite 'open world' but they had pretty big zones you progressed through). I dunno why you'd think it would be otherwise.

They did REALLY de-emphasise the 'RPG' part in publicity. If you weren't paying attention you could've very easily mistaken it for a GTA clone with neon, character creation, and somehow even more gratuitous sex.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cleretic posted:

They did REALLY de-emphasise the 'RPG' part in publicity. If you weren't paying attention you could've very easily mistaken it for a GTA clone with neon, character creation, and somehow even more gratuitous sex.

I don't think it's any more de-emphasised than, say, Skyrim or recent Fallouts. They don't show menus in gameplay previews because... it doesn't make for fun viewing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bewilderment posted:

I don't think it's any more de-emphasised than, say, Skyrim or recent Fallouts. They don't show menus in gameplay previews because... it doesn't make for fun viewing.

That's actually also a problem about Fallout. 4's RPG elements were so de-emphasised in publicity unless you're already paying attention that when my dad got it, the only way he knew it was in any way an RPG beforehand was because I'd played it before and could tell him. 76 had it even worse, as you might recall; Bethesda is so historically bad at articulating what their games are like that even their fans couldn't make heads or tails of that one at first.

I'm actually very caught up in gaming, and the only reason I knew the Witcher 3 was an RPG was because of these forums. It's VERY easy for us to misjudge how much information about a game we're aware of is actually common knowledge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

"Non-lethal" doesn't mean "won't cause permanent damage." Haven't you all seen Terminator 2?

It's Batman rules, it's nonlethal if they have a pulse and brain activity afterward

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Rubber bullets are "less-lethal", not "non-lethal".

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ilmucche posted:

It is for sure scratching that Elder Scrolls, stealth, loot everything that's not nailed down, crazy amount of dialog options I've been wanting for a while

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

Rubber bullets are "less-lethal", not "non-lethal".

Quasi-lethal

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
About as lethal as getting a rocket fist to the face.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

bony tony posted:

About as lethal as getting a rocket fist to the face.

You take Big Boss' name outta your mouth!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

That's actually also a problem about Fallout. 4's RPG elements were so de-emphasised in publicity unless you're already paying attention that when my dad got it, the only way he knew it was in any way an RPG beforehand was because I'd played it before and could tell him. 76 had it even worse, as you might recall; Bethesda is so historically bad at articulating what their games are like that even their fans couldn't make heads or tails of that one at first.

I'm actually very caught up in gaming, and the only reason I knew the Witcher 3 was an RPG was because of these forums. It's VERY easy for us to misjudge how much information about a game we're aware of is actually common knowledge.

Outer Wilds was like that for me. People had been raving about it for months, talking about how incredible it was, but when I finally decided to get it a couple months ago I realized I had no idea what it looked like or what the gameplay was actually like. Everyone was right though, it is incredible!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nioh was that kind of thing for me. I assumed it was an open ended souls style exploration game, but it's instead completely mission based. The combat is also much faster paced than I assumed based on the stance system's complexity. Had I known its main inspiration was Tenchu/Shinobi/Ninja Gaiden, not Souls, it may not have taken me by such surprise. I mean you can straight up fight Ryu Hayabusa in Nioh's dlc.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

Nioh was that kind of thing for me. I assumed it was an open ended souls style exploration game, but it's instead completely mission based. The combat is also much faster paced than I assumed based on the stance system's complexity. Had I known its main inspiration was Tenchu/Shinobi/Ninja Gaiden, not Souls, it may not have taken me by such surprise. I mean you can straight up fight Ryu Hayabusa in Nioh's dlc.

William and Ryu end up bros in the Warriors All Stars musou :allears:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CJacobs posted:

Nioh was that kind of thing for me.

The only thing I ever needed from Nioh was

https://youtu.be/jWBYOJNFYRA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casnorf posted:

The only thing I ever needed from Nioh was

https://youtu.be/jWBYOJNFYRA

HELL YEAH

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I really like that in Pavlov VR you can hear nearby enemies talking and can still hear nearby sounds after you die but before you respawn. That way I got to hear a trio of bad guys around the corner discussing how they were about to breach the room I was in, so I got the jump and took down two of them with me. Then I got to hear the third one standing over my dead body saying "Thank god that annoying loving prick is finally dead". Greatest compliment I've ever gotten in an online shooter :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Control, and while there's a lot to like about it, the specific thing I want to highlight is the protagonist's expressiveness. The game frequently does close-ups of her face during cutscenes, and they did a superb job of animating her. Lots of subtle expressiveness to her eyes and lips in particular; you can see her hesitation before saying things as she chews over her words, for example.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Remedy has come a long way since Alan Wake mumbled his way through endless monologues with a blank look on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wonder how much of that was a direct reaction to Alan Wake shipping with a bug that hosed up all the facial animations