Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh... I'm just gonna play the ME3 MP because why not. Anything I need to do beforehand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

widespread posted:

So uh... I'm just gonna play the ME3 MP because why not. Anything I need to do beforehand?

Download the DLC.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

big time bisexual posted:

it's funny looking back and seeing how the default male shepard was a real uggo in the early builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZrvJ8Hs3A&t=81s

So the story I heard was that originally Meer was just recording Shepard's lines as a placeholder, and later the decision was made to make him the actual VA for the role. If true, I wonder how much of the recording got redone, and how much of his voicework in that game was from when the lines were recorded early in the process.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mark Meer is awesome, and I loved having the option to play the game 4 times essentially (by varying renegade/paragon and sex of player) with two good VAs. I'm surprised Hale gets all the praise around here since Meer did a bang up job.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Unpopular opinion here but I think Shepard renegading and killing Mordin at the climax of Tachaunka is one of the most compelling scenes i've ever seen in a video game*

*that I watched on youtube because I'm not a monster

Wrex hunting down and trying to kill Shepard when he learns the truth is a pretty great scene too, which reminds me of something that really bugged me about Quarian/Geth finale, Tali doesn't do poo poo when you doom her race, like Legion desperately tries to save the Geth and ends up in a fight against Tali and Shepard, while Tali just stands there going "whelp this sucks" and jumps off a cliff

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell kind of name is Peebee anyways

It's her initials. Pelessaria B'Sayle. Most Asari characters in past games have been pretty stiff so they were trying to make one that was more whimsical, I would guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Download the DLC.

It's all still free, too. Just a pain to get off of Origin.

quote:

It's her initials. Pelessaria B'Sayle. Most Asari characters in past games have been pretty stiff so they were trying to make one that was more whimsical, I would guess.

I really expected to hate Peebee the most but I've been rolling with her and Drack most of the game and rotating Vetra in.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

Mostly games need to stop preaching CHOICES MATTER. Unless you are just making a standalone self contained game.

I don't give a poo poo about choices mattering, or even large dramatic choices. Tell me a story, and let me roleplay(with obvious constraints) how I want my character to treat the situation they are faced with and have characters respond.

Even if it doesn't have much effect on the story as a whole it lets me color a story with my personality.

Choices building up over the course of 3 games is a goddamn insane possibility space if you want to build a "proper" payoff for all of the threads, rather than saying hey you did this here is the rachni queen saying something + 100 dkp

I wish we could get Alpha Protocol 2 sometime in the future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would have liked Alpha Protocol a lot more if it'd been about anything, anything on earth except a spy game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I disagree. I love the spy aspect of it. I don't need another fantasy or sci-fi game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Alpha Protocol except it's in Twin Peaks.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the real problem is that the actual game parts are very bad. the gunplay and stealth gameplay feels like afterthoughts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zikan posted:

the real problem is that the actual game parts are very bad. the gunplay and stealth gameplay feels like afterthoughts

They should just do away with the combat completely if they ever make a new one, which is unlikely as like 10 people bought AP and they all post on Something Awful.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

exquisite tea posted:

They should just do away with the combat completely if they ever make a new one, which is unlikely as like 10 people bought AP and they all post on Something Awful.

I just rented it. :smuggo:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Its just a different game.

The problem with Alpha Protocol is that they had the game completely finished like a year or so before Sega released it.

Which meant rather than being compared to ME 1 it was being compared to ME 2's shooting

That game is 100 an RPG. The stealth cloak allows you to walk up to someone take them down while the person next to them doesnt notice poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

exquisite tea posted:

Alpha Protocol except it's in Twin Peaks.

Deadly Premonition with pretenses to western roleplaying essentially.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Alpha Protocol is impressive in terms of its branching but the characters, combat, story, I just really struggle to care about. Like, the characters are affected profoundly by your actions, but they're almost all super thin 1D action movie stereotypes so it doesn't feel particularly impactful for me.

It's pretty good though. I don't think it's the spy genre that hurts it so much as the treatment of the actual story it's telling being quite limited.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Deadly Premonition with pretenses to western roleplaying essentially.

Deadly Premonition has a lot of problems. It's a very flawed game that I couldn't in good conscience recommend to anybody. But I think ambitious yet flawed projects are so much more interesting than games that aspire for nothing and still manage to fall flat on their face (see: Mass Effect Andromeda).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

But I think ambitious yet flawed projects are so much more interesting than games that aspire for nothing and still manage to fall flat on their face (see: Mass Effect Andromeda).

NieR :]

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I like Alpha Protocol. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

reagan posted:

I like Alpha Protocol. :smith:

Alpha Protocol is great. Ignore those terrible opinions and tuuuurn up.... the RAAAAADIOOOO!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

But I think ambitious yet flawed projects are so much more interesting than games that aspire for nothing and still manage to fall flat on their face (see: Mass Effect Andromeda).

Xenogears will always be my favorite JRPG.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Started playing this last night. Seems real 7.5/10. Don't see where the hate comes from yet. I'll let y'all know if I find it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

numerrik posted:

Started playing this last night. Seems real 7.5/10. Don't see where the hate comes from yet. I'll let y'all know if I find it.

whenever you meet an alien, compare their face to every other alien of their species that you meet

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

numerrik posted:

I liked Prometheus: The Movie.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alpha Protocol its loving amazing

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pattonesque posted:

whenever you meet an alien, compare their face to every other alien of their species that you meet

wow man racist much

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I really expected to hate Peebee the most but I've been rolling with her and Drack most of the game and rotating Vetra in.

I liked her, but she would be infinitely better if her name was spelled PB instead.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I liked her, but she would be infinitely better if her name was spelled PB instead.

Reminded me of when I read one of those lovely Star Wars novels as a kid where they'd write R2D2 as Artoodeetoo for who knows what reason and I thought it was stupid even at that age.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ive been looking for that colorful chart somebody made evaluating the quality of mass effect over time. Tried google image search to no avail. It's that one with Kai leng at the bottom middle and the citadel DLC at the top.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Moola posted:

sory I added him too

:agreed:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What did the nyaanrobodog and collector represent?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gobblecoque posted:

Reminded me of when I read one of those lovely Star Wars novels as a kid where they'd write R2D2 as Artoodeetoo for who knows what reason and I thought it was stupid even at that age.

Threepio and Artoo at least work as nicknames. One Star Wars book I read tried to anglicize HK into Aiytch-Kay and it was awful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dexo posted:

Its just a different game.

The problem with Alpha Protocol is that they had the game completely finished like a year or so before Sega released it.

Which meant rather than being compared to ME 1 it was being compared to ME 2's shooting

I've read a number of interviews with AP dev members and it's abundantly clear issues within Obsidian were at the core of the game's troubles. Problems with scope, vision, egos. Badly managed from the start. Apparently SEGA was actually very accommodating.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rinkles posted:

I've read a number of interviews with AP dev members and it's abundantly clear issues within Obsidian were at the core of the game's troubles. Problems with scope, vision, egos. Badly managed from the start. Apparently SEGA was actually very accommodating.

OTOH it was apparently Sega's decree that it (and Binary Domain) have RPG mechanics tied in to the shooter gameplay, which is probably one of the worst parts of Alpha Protocol.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Drifter posted:

What did the nyaanrobodog and collector represent?

i wanna say it represents the fun, light-hearted fan stuff the cropped up around marauder shields, the very last enemy you fight in the game when you're lurching towards the citadel skylaser, and ultimately the noblest creature in the galaxy since he tried his best to keep you from seeing the endings

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks! I love this thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

i wanna say it represents the fun, light-hearted fan stuff the cropped up around marauder shields, the very last enemy you fight in the game when you're lurching towards the citadel skylaser, and ultimately the noblest creature in the galaxy since he tried his best to keep you from seeing the endings

You're righgt. How dare I forget his noble sacrifice?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

You're righgt. How dare I forget his noble sacrifice?

I'd forgotten about the stupid idiotic meme that was Marauder Shields.

God bless that Reaperfied Turian, trying to save you from the horrors that lurked behind him. He died in vain, but not for lack of trying to save the player from themselves. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Count Uvula posted:

... Binary Domain...

Just as an aside I loved the destructible robots in Binary Domain.
The voice recognition was poo poo.
And gently caress the boss fights. Hard.

Content:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd forgotten about the stupid idiotic meme that was Marauder Shields.

God bless that Reaperfied Turian, trying to save you from the horrors that lurked behind him. He died in vain, but not for lack of trying to save the player from themselves. :patriot:

I thought koobismo's Marauder Shields webcomic was interesting in a fanfic sort of way, but it died the web comic death of never being finished (and being mostly bad.)