Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Rabhadh posted:

No I don't think you can avoid Simmons, he comes running right at you at the underwater cavern part and the doors are locked until you kill him. Although like yourself, I'm not sure because I've never seen it done any other way. This is Deus Ex though so I wouldn't be suprised (quite happy infact) if I'm wrong.

You are! You never have to kill Simmons, you can always run past him. The doors in the underwater base aren't locked, they just close. And you can dodge around him at Area 51.

Also, with the cloak aug or just being really, really careful, you can get around killing Gunther, too.

So the only person you have to kill in the whole game is Anna, and apparently there is a way around that, too.

And you can't tranq any of the above characters, as they are immune, if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Deus Ex Gunther: At a certain amount of damage Gunther will run away from you and you can just choose to not follow after him/kill him, so if you really want to let him live you could just start trying to kill him.

Unless you're me and you spend 20 minutes chasing him around those castle grounds, cause seriously gently caress that guy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just downloaded Super Mario RPG on the Wii, been wanting to play this game for ages but is there anything I should look out for before starting. Missable side boss's with good rewards or anything like that? This looks a bit more RPGish than Paper Mario was so it might have that sort of thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

thebardyspoon posted:

Just downloaded Super Mario RPG on the Wii, been wanting to play this game for ages but is there anything I should look out for before starting. Missable side boss's with good rewards or anything like that? This looks a bit more RPGish than Paper Mario was so it might have that sort of thing.

I don't think there's much of anything that you can miss for good. Nothing of consequence, at least.

Timing boosts are everything. Get good at them.

Try Geno Boost. It's hilariously powerful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

There's only one miss-able item iirc and that's a hidden block in mushroom castle. The first time you go there SAVE THE GAME. When you first step in, Toad will run to the throne room. The only way to get a hidden box here is by jumping on Toad's head as he's moving into the throne room. If you miss it then it's gone for good. If there's any hidden block you want to spoil for yourself, it's this one.

Don't use flower tabs/boxes when you first get them. Using them restores all your flower points so save them until you actually need them.

Some of the powers have odd timings that you should practice. Mario's jump requires you to hit the button a split second before he actually lands. Geno Beam requires you to release the Y button when three stars appear, not actually hold it like the text blurb says (you have no idea how long it took me to realize this). Mallow's thunder requires you to hit Y a split second before the lightning animation finishes.

When you level up you have the choice between three power-ups (attack, hp, and magic). Select all three to preview what bonuses they'll give you. Go with the largest bonus for that level.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

SiKboy posted:

To avoid sequence-breaking do the story quests up until you talk to three-dog in person. Or at least dont go exploring the three mentioned locations rivet city, jefferson memorial and casey smiths garage. If you do then you miss out on a helpful encounter on the way to meet threedog. Specifically: If you skip over meeting three-dog and sequence break his part of the main quest then you dont meet up with lyons pride on your way to GNR, and have to fight the behemoth on your lonesome without the benefit of a looted fat man

The behemoth will get killed by the power-armored guards, regardless of whether Lyons is there or not. Unless you're playing on Very Hard or something, the brotherhood soldiers stationed at GNR Studios will be capable of taking out the behemoth, even without the Fat Man.

As for the quest-breaking, that's true, but you don't really break the quest as much as you skip parts of it. And those parts can just be completed later. In fact, if you like avoiding the metro system altogether, then being able to skip the GNR questline and go straight to Dr. Li or even James is pretty awesome. Plus, Three-Dog will still give you the satellite quest later, just with a different reward. Since the metro sucks so hard, I find myself skipping GNR more often than not. Although I guess if you're playing through for the first time, yeah, you should really just always go where the little arrow on your compass tells you to go.

But yes to everything else you said.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

thebardyspoon posted:

Considering that you will be attacking all the time, I always increase attack when I level. It makes a really big difference over time and you can always heal when you take damage instead of adding a pointless few extra health.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just ordered Batman Arkham Asylum. Anything I need to know?

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

If it's driving you crazy that you can't access a grate or something, you'll likely get a tool later on to grant access.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

There are two missable achievements: rescue all the guys in the poison gas filled room and beat the crap out of the 20 Joker minions who clap and cheer for you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Any advice for Fable 2? I've only played for like an hour or two. It seems like the game wants you to invest in all 3 of those ability trees equally(Strength, Skill, Will), but knowing how jack-of-all-trades characters can be in RPGs, I'm kinda worried that doing that will gently caress me over.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can't gently caress up Fable 2. You can max all trees pretty easily before the end of the game anyway.

I liked the shock spell (I think level 2 was when it got an area to it) and then spent most of my points in Strength, but all three are usable.

Buy all the property you can.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

graventy posted:

You can't gently caress up Fable 2. You can max all trees pretty easily before the end of the game anyway.

I liked the shock spell (I think level 2 was when it got an area to it) and then spent most of my points in Strength, but all three are usable.

Buy all the property you can.

The Lightning, Fire, and Time spells are the best ones.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Not that anyone asked, but there are some things you should know before playing Star Control Two, or its easy to find free-ware clone, the Ur-Quan masters.

I spent some pretty serious time on it a couple of weeks ago, and despite the controls, (no mouse support, etc) unreasonably large game universe, and strange/twitchy/fun/had spacewar combat, it's definitely worth playing, provided you know a few things.

1) The game's ending has a time limit, and unless you use FAQs heavily, you are not going to make it the first dozen complete games you play. No exaggeration.
2) If you're not planning to play it over and over again, you might as well make use of a bit of strategy strategy-guide. There's not a lot of "aha" stuff so much as there is "90s bullshit puzzle-game" stuff, but if you actually pay attention to various aliens and listen carefully when they speak, they give lots of clues. The game fluff matters more often that it doesn't, so you can't just skip to the coordinates.
3) The game is meant to be played with pencil and paper on hand because no friendly modern labels and in-game notes are present. The game universe is entirely too big--while it's exciting that there are thousands and thousands of planets, it's also annoying that no more than two dozen of them have anything plot-related. Still, hardcore gamers who don't do anything the easy way can sink a solid 200 hours into it.
4) Expect to spend a lot of time on the mining mini-game or dogfighting aliens for cash.
5) Make sure you have the sound and graphics pack--the voice acting in the game is mostly good, genuinely funny/interesting and gives a real sense of atmosphere.
6)Be sure to investigate Pluto before you leave the solar system for the first time!

One way of thinking of Star Control 2 is that it's a bit like morrowind, or really, dagerfall, in space, with all of the upsides and downsides of such a gameplay experience.You may now resume your regularly scheduled discussion of games that were made in the last 15 years and have such evil sorcery as mouse response, auto-save, etc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
For anyone who's played the Wii version of Phantom Brave: when the hell will Another Marona let me have a drat dungeonmonk?

Also, I just got to the Island of Evil and have no idea how I'm supposed to cross between the two islands on the first map. Apparently there aren't any strategy guides for Another Marona on the internet (or at least, the first few pages of google search).

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Gonna try to play KOTOR 2 for the umpteemth time. I already know about the mod that patched in the apparently appropriate ending but does anyone have any gameplay advice. (What class, skills, perks to choose? Gonna play offensive jedi with not a big focus on force)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Any tips for Haunting Ground?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Metroixer posted:

Gonna try to play KOTOR 2 for the umpteemth time. I already know about the mod that patched in the apparently appropriate ending but does anyone have any gameplay advice. (What class, skills, perks to choose? Gonna play offensive jedi with not a big focus on force)

The dark side lightning power is hilariously strong. I don't know much other than that since I only played through as a Consular. If I recall correctly, focusing on melee is the tougher path to take. The following characters can become Jedi: Atton, Bao-Dur, Disciple, Handmaiden and Mira, so make sure you pick up all the opportunities for Influence for at least one of them so that you can have a 3rd Jedi in your party by the end of the game.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Metroixer posted:

A little late but you should try out the gunslinger build from gamefaqs. That poo poo is the most godly you can get and it's fun to shoot people from far away instead of always running up to them (unless you're a guardian and can jump at them).

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
What order should I play the X-Com games in?

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Anonononomous posted:

UFO Defense

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Orvin posted:

I actually just finished this game.

- If you want to get the most out of the game, either go OCD on collecting the hidden Riddler Trophies or find a guide that tells you where the trophies that unlock challenges are. Challenge mode is great fun, but it seems to be the only thing to do after you've completed the main storyline. You can go back after you finish the game to do this, but it's a hassle since you need to run everywhere (and it's kind of boring when you aren't fighting through mooks to get to a location)/

- When fighting, don't click like crazy. Throwing a punch and whiffing will break your combo, as well as getting hit and not hitting someone for a few seconds after you last did. You have time to click, do a quick survey of whether you need to counter, and then click accordingly again. This sounds like "Duh" but it's really easy to caught up in the combat system and mash the mouse button.

- Freeflow combat emphasizes target switching. You can't really KO a single enemy out of the fight entirely, since your strikes tend to knock enemies down, but not necessarily KO them. You CAN KO someone who is KD'd, but the move is a lengthy animation where you are very open to attack. It is more to your advantage to KD as many enemies as possible, KDing each enemy as they get up, until your combo actually knocks them unconscious.

- In addition, if you are very deep into a freeflow combo, your "attack radius" is huge. By this I mean, if I KD an enemy on one side of a big room, and an enemy is getting up in the middle of the room, running to that enemy to start my combo may break my combo. However, if I have something like 8+ combo'd hits, I can simply hold my keys/analog stick in that baddie's direction and then press attack, and Batman will literally fly through the air in a badass somersault to strike the baddie.

- Turn off Detective mode once in a while. The game is beautiful.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Anonononomous posted:

TFTD
UFO Defense
Apocalypse

Seriously. Chronologically TFTD happens in the middle of those three, but TFTD has some....oddities compared to UFO Defense. The best way to deal with TFTD's bullshit is to not know you're dealing with its bullshit. If/when you start to hate the game, start playing UFO Defense instead.

Apocalypse is a good game if you give it a chance. Wait until you get to the manned UFOs at least.

Interceptor and Enforcer have no redeeming qualities at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alternatively, treat TFTD the same way you treat Enforcer and Interceptor. Pretend it doesn't exist.

It's pretty much the same thing as UFO Defense, but shittier in almost every way. There's no reason to play it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Since I just beat it, let's throw some out for No More Heroes 2-

-Unlike the first game, gym missions don't disappear when you do a ranking match; they'll stick around until you do them, which means you could do all of them right before the final boss.

-Forward dodge is the best dodge. This is especially useful on enemies with guns (which include a decent number of bosses), since gunfire drains your battery really fast in this game.

-Get Jeane under 11 pounds for a special move. Complete all the Revenge Missions for a new "clothing option"

-Think the Peony sucks? Whip it out when you have high Ecstasy (when the tiger is red).

-In fact, the katanas in this game are all pretty balanced. Don't be afraid to switch during battle, especially since you're invincible while switching blades.

-Revenge missions sometimes contain decorations for your apartment. If you're a completionist, make sure you get every chest in each mission.

-Like the first game, this one has a New Game+ option. When you beat the game, DO NOT save over your file if you want to replay the last ranking mission/fight.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Anything big for Metal Gear Solid 3? Right now I'm avoiding killing dudes (although loving up CQC constantly makes that hard) and stamina killing bosses.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything big for Metal Gear Solid 3? Right now I'm avoiding killing dudes (although loving up CQC constantly makes that hard) and stamina killing bosses.

Make sure you're using a PS2 (or maybe a very early PS3?), the hybrid-emulation PS3 has major/gamebreaking FPS problems later on in the game.

Otherwise, enjoy one of the best games for the platform. What difficulty are you playing on?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

Make sure you're using a PS2 (or maybe a very early PS3?), the hybrid-emulation PS3 has major/gamebreaking FPS problems later on in the game.

Otherwise, enjoy one of the best games for the platform. What difficulty are you playing on?

I'm running it on my PS2, so no worries there. right now I'm playing on easy because I am not very good and I'd probably screw up too much on Normal.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm running it on my PS2, so no worries there. right now I'm playing on easy because I am not very good and I'd probably screw up too much on Normal.

In that case you can pretty much play the game however you want. Try going Rambo style and staying in alert the entire time, it'll work just fine!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't seem like the game to have any, but does Earthbound have any penalties for dying besides losing cash you have on you?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Any tips for Haunting Ground?

Despite their intimidating appearance, the people who chase you can be knocked down, and if you can succeed in taking them down, they drop items. Just don't try searching them again after you get an item. I think that wakes them up faster. The quickest way to take them out is to have Hewie "Stay," which will make him crouch down, ready to attack, and then order him to "Attack" when they come close. Hewie will spring on them and take down a large amount of health, and you can help out with kicks while they're stumbling around with a doggie chewing on their neck.

Also, if you run through a doorway and an enemy is hot on your heels, you can shove the door open into them to stun them for a short while. However, the same can be done to you, so it's not a good idea to dawdle in front of doors while an enemy is still out and about.

A tip about hiding places: don't use the winepress too often. You will eventually be found and the person chasing you will activate the winepress while you're stuck inside. Very messy. Also, much like a Clock Tower game, it's a very bad idea to use any hiding place multiple times, because they will be flushed out very quickly.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It doesn't seem like the game to have any, but does Earthbound have any penalties for dying besides losing cash you have on you?

There is one more penalty to dying in Earthbound. While the main character will be revived with full health, your comrades won't, so you'll need to go to the hospital to get them healed. Fortunately, your character will have both of the teleportation techniques, so if you happened to die in a place without a hospital, just warp to somewhere more civilized. Saturn Village will be ideal when you get to that point, because they have a hot spring that heals your group for free.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

In that case you can pretty much play the game however you want. Try going Rambo style and staying in alert the entire time, it'll work just fine!

Somehow I manage to do this even when I try to be stealthy. :saddowns: I'm going to do this on my newgame+ for sure, since I'm certain I"ll get some funky item that will help me do so.

Edit: do the uniforms I get from stamina-killing bosses get carried over in Newgame+, or is it just whatever you get at the end?

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 4, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Captain Novolin posted:

Somehow I manage to do this even when I try to be stealthy. :saddowns: I'm going to do this on my newgame+ for sure, since I'm certain I"ll get some funky item that will help me do so.

Edit: do the uniforms I get from stamina-killing bosses get carried over in Newgame+, or is it just whatever you get at the end?

Every special item/weapon/camo you collect in the game will be carried over.

e: The best (most fun)weapon is Ocelot's Colt SAA which you can get for NG+ by making a certain decision at the very end of the game. Take the gun on the right side during the final Ocelot encounter

Also, spend time checking out all the awesome easter eggs. There are some great codec conversations to be had, especially about the glowcap mushrooms and the cardboard box w/ Sigint.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 5, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If you're having trouble sneaking up on guys to CQC then it may be because you're using the analog stick to sneak. Moving the stick slightly to walk is slower but not silent. Using the D-pad to "stalk" is totally silent. It took me a couple playthroughs to realise this.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr Snofeld posted:

If you're having trouble sneaking up on guys to CQC then it may be because you're using the analog stick to sneak. Moving the stick slightly to walk is slower but not silent. Using the D-pad to "stalk" is totally silent. It took me a couple playthroughs to realise this.

Yeah this is key advice. Once you're within about 5-10 feet of the victim you have to switch to using the d-pad to stalk. If you use the analog they will hear you 99% of the time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Viva Pinata? It looks pretty chill but I got it and didn't really know if I was doing it right and then I lost interest.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr Snofeld posted:

Viva Pinata? It looks pretty chill but I got it and didn't really know if I was doing it right and then I lost interest.

Look at an achievement list and use it as a guide for what things you should do.

Look up anything you want to know at this site: http://pinataisland.info/

A good first goal while you are learning the ropes is to look up what the next Sour Pinata to show up will be and try to get the things you need to tame it before it enters your area

elf help book fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 5, 2010

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Just picked up Way of the Samurai 3 (for the 360). Anything I should know starting out?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an MGS3 question I have: do save games from Snake Eater work with Subsistence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I picked up Fallout 1 from gog and I'm doing okay thanks to some basic tips from gamefaqs but I've had to rely on a party and I really want to play as the Lone Wanderer but the builds wildly vary between the different guides on that site. So I guess I'm asking for a build where I don't have to rely on a party and I want to shoot stuff. I've only gotten as far as the Hub. Also any other general tips