Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Huge McPunch posted:

Do a bench synchronization.

I always thought you had to use something like a carbtune to sync a carb. That is pretty cool. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey Blaster how you been

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I have a carbtune too :) The flashlight stuff was just to get a baseline to start from.

The chrome on the forks looks great and everything is straight as an arrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the seals are just a million years old.

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

KARMA! posted:

I always thought you had to use something like a carbtune to sync a carb. That is pretty cool. :)

You do. What I described will give you a pretty precise zero though. Doing a vacuum sync is really hell if you're way off to begin with.

Anyway, a bench synchronization will be spot on 95% of the times. If you really need to measure vacuum it's because you're too lazy to remove the carburetor block or something else is wrong and can be helped by misaligning butterfly hight at your intake.

Huge McPunch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 13, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Installed a fender eliminator and swapped the stock system back on to prepare for my high-mount install tomorrow.

I'm completely exhausted. The old full exhaust was practically cemented to the bike. Thank god for rubber mallets and PB Blaster.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kylej posted:

Don't see many SV's in red, that might be the first one I've seen. Looks good.

Flushed the brakes on the SV and disconnected the tail light. Tomorrow I'll pull the mirrors then unplug and tape off the headlight. Head to VIR Tuesday.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Relocated the ECU again, though I think it should be good now. In between the battery and fuel tank was still too close to the engine and it was getting hot to the touch, so I tossed the old stock exhaust servo motor with a servo eliminator and put the ECU there.

For reference the old ECU is in the old position (actually it was a bit further back), the new is forward and completely under the seat so it shouldn't get too hot.

All tucked away with my servo budd.

And while you can't really tell from a distance...

...wrapped the tail up tighter than the space shuttle (R.I.P.).

I'm probably going to add some more heat shielding to the side where the exhaust runs to the can since it's pretty close to the ECU too. Hopefully that'll do it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Yesterday I took the wheels off the DRZ to Sun Enterprises - a shop that I didn't even know about until Honda sent me an email about the CBR250 (which I went to go look at last week, but they sell them as soon as they come in...)

I was really impressed by the size and layout of the place in comparison to the 'close' store. They've got a TON of gear and the service department up front and the showroom is in the rear in a separate building connected by a dedicated corridor. A two story H-D dealer/service shop next door on the adjacent property. Color me impressed!

So, I brought the tires in at 11am, they quoted me 3pm - which is remarkably better than the 3 days that the 'close' shop quoted me for a tire swap on a Saturday. Wandered around looking at the bikes for a bit, then noticed a big rig at the shop next door. The Harley Davidson Demo Truck, to be specific.

* Taking your tires to be swapped on a Saturday and having it be done the same day for $50? Nice.
* Having them call you in one hour, instead of three? (and not having to fight the rimlocks, or worry about how much money you'd spend pinch-flatting tubes) Excellent!
* Being able to go test ride Harleys in the interim? Amazing (and lucky!)
* Riding the XR1200? Terrifyingly bad!

Didn't we used to have a test ride thread?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finished changing the fork seals and bushings on my Firebolt. It took longer to do than I planned, but once I had the right tools and all of the parts, it went pretty quick. An actual spring compression tool makes everything go very smoothly. Ended up changing my head bearings too, since they felt kind of crappy.

And I got it all done just in time for it to start raining.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

it loving runs and belches fire.

needs some 93 and a good carb sync.
I also am about to sort out why the drat headlight won't come on.

KARMA! posted:

you do, bench sync is just a good starting point.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You can build a ghetto carbsync for like 10 bucks. Just google "Ghetto carbsync" they work like a dream.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Changed the oil and installed a manual cam chain tensioner. And it needed the oil badly as only 1 quart came out and it takes just under two. Should have done this when I first got the bike.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Don't see many SV's in red, that might be the first one I've seen. Looks good.

Thank you. It is a rare color I think. I never see them at SVRider.

high-mount installed today

Was way more of a pain in the rear end than it had any right to be but it looks great so I can't complain.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

kylej posted:

Thank you. It is a rare color I think. I never see them at SVRider.

high-mount installed today

Was way more of a pain in the rear end than it had any right to be but it looks great so I can't complain.

Does your right heel contact the pipe if you don't hold it up? When I rode my friend's SV with a Leo Vince mid-mount mine would if I relaxed my right foot. I love the way the high mounts look though.

edit: I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 15, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

King Nothing posted:

Does your right heel contact the pipe if you don't hold it up? When I rode my friend's SV with a Leo Vince mid-mount mine would if I relaxed my right foot. I love the way the high mounts look though.

edit: I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs

Dunno. I have to wait for the fancy high-temp silicon sealant to cure for 24 hours before I start her up. The exhaust manufacturer sells a heel guard for the mid-pipe which should help if it does rub.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rode a chain nearly to failure.

It was on its last legs; tensioned to the end of the swingarm before I left. Rode 500 miles, oiling it every 100. It's now sloppy loose and smells like burned rubber since all the o-rings are failed. New chain should be showing up tomorrow.

Interestingly fuel economy went into the toilet during this period. Last week was 48mpg, the first half of the ride was 44, then 42, then 41 for the last 100 miles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Interestingly fuel economy went into the toilet during this period. Last week was 48mpg, the first half of the ride was 44, then 42, then 41 for the last 100 miles.

You said that the O-rings failed, and that explains it enough. Imagine you're a person running this chain through your hands, and for every link that passes through your fingers you have to grab it and bend it to the appropriate angle before you can move onto the next one. Now, at first, the chain has good O-rings, so every joint is nicely oiled and bends freely. But after awhile, the seals fail, and oil leaks out of the joints in the chain links. Sure, every hundred miles or so a dude comes along and sprays the chain you're holding with oil, and the links become a little easier to bend. But, since the seals have failed, very quickly they regain that slightest resistance again. As you move the chain through, more oil drains out and dirt gets in, and they're ever-so-slightly more difficult to bend.

Pulling the chain and bending the links individually is very easy, even when the seals have failed, but your engine is doing that four times for each circumference of the chain (as it latches onto, and then exits, both sprockets) thousands and thousands of times a minute. A 4mpg drop is pretty understandable.

My Enfield can't run o-ring or x-ring chains, as they're all too wide to fit through the primary case. When I installed an "automatic chain oiler" (really I redirected the crank blowby oil, a drop or so a mile of oil mist, onto the chain) I gained a few MPG at first, because before I just had sprayed ATF or whatever I had onto it every hundred miles or so.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

all the o-rings are failed.

:stare:
I think I just shat myself.

you're probably going to need new sprockets too. just my $.02

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:stare:
I think I just shat myself.

you're probably going to need new sprockets too. just my $.02

Oh yeah. New front and rears are on the way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Oh yeah. New front and rears are on the way.

good.

Didn't happen today... but I haven't posted it here yet, just on
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com

I got the 76 tank painted

and everything remounted.

Then I cleaned,

prepped,

and painted the oil overflow catch can (stole it off my 75 parts bike WITHOUT having to remove teh tank. fuckyes tinyfingers)

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell I cannot get the drat thing to time properly.
For some reason I have to advance the points plate almost 90º to get the timing right. Even then the timing light doesn't stay on, it just blinks for a second.
I'll be pulling the valve covers and timing covers soon to make sure that,
1) the camshaft holders aren't hosed up and
2) the timing gears are still right where they should be. and the timing belt didn't skip a tooth or something.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Awesome my dad dropped my Kawasaki too, I just noticed it today. He took it out while I was at work, this is a guy who decided to take out my 600 supersport without a license, just a permit, and hasn't ridden anything beyond 50cc cubs.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Sounds like it's time to get your own place

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You seem so sedate after discovering that. Shouldn't you be :supaburn:?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you still living at home when you can afford something like 5 nearly new motorcycles? Priorities, dude.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Stop leaving the keys out :psyduck:

I mean I know accidents happen, but when it's not your bike and something similar just happened, what? 2 weeks ago or something?

:smith:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nsaP posted:

This.

I'd be super pissed if my dad was playing around with my property.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kylej posted:

Why are you still living at home when you can afford something like 5 nearly new motorcycles? Priorities, dude.
Sounds like he's got them straight. :cool:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Odette posted:

This.

I'd be super pissed if my dad was playing around with my property.

Now you know how he felt when you were a kid. :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Now you know how he felt when you were a kid. :v:

God drat, that brought back some weird childhood memories of playing with the car and dad running after me with a wet wooden spoon, screaming bloody murder. :(

It's a good thing I ain't having any kids anytime soon!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

nsaP posted:

I mean I know accidents happen, but when it's not your bike and something similar just happened, what? 2 weeks ago or something?

:smith:

Believe me i'm absolutely furious, i'm just exhausted because it was my birthday yesterday and I come home from a fun over nighter in the city to find that the 636 went down.

All extra keys are now locked in my personal safe.

Yes he dropped my GSX-R 1000 that I had owned for one week that hadn't been dropped in it's life. I did my best with touch up paint and some rubbing compound/polish, replaced the frame slider, and broken shifter.

Sigh it's so ugly now when the light shines on the upper fairing, it's about 450$ for a new one, luckily it doesn't need any stickers or decals. The left fairing itself is pretty unscathed along with the tail, the shifter is slightly bent, and I realized the clutch lever is bent into a candy cane. I haven't dropped it or even come close to dropping it since owning it for almost a year, it may have taken a tumble on it's right at some point before I owned it but the left side was flawless :(

It's even more ridiculous because i'm been pushing the dad to take the drat MSF, he attempted the DMV skills test on my GS500 and failed horribly, which I think is a stupidly easy bike to ride. He still refuses to take the MSF because he thinks hes a pro when clearly he is not, also hes a total squid and is too cheap to buy gear but apparently doesn't mind costing me hundreds/thousands in dropped bikes.

GSX-R photos after my patch ups:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Move the gently caress out of your parent's house.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Your dad is dropping your bikes to let you know this.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

My god drat dad keeps scratching my 911 when he pulls his VW Rabbit out of the garage, it's totally bumming me out man. I slammed the curtain to my room, I was so angry.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Move out or buy some rotor locks. I moved out at 18 and was on a ramen noodle budget for a loooong time. With a bike your gas savings should be fairly significant so hopefully that will help you offset rent. Seriously though, if there is any way you can move out do it. The freedom is absolutely intoxicating if you've never been on your own before. Just be frugal and build up a bit of a bankroll just in case you fall on hard times.

You'll grow a lot as a person when you start having to do everything for yourself.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Life Lessons

Content:
Today I prepped my bike for it's new headlight arrangement. The front fairing stay, fairing, and gauge cluster were all cracked in various places from the last guy, so I'm going the round headlight + trailtech gauge route.
Electrical systems are still black magic to me; is anything going to go wrong if I ride without a gauge cluster and headlight plugged in for a few days?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AncientTV posted:

is anything going to go wrong if I ride without a gauge cluster and headlight plugged in for a few days?
Nope should be fine

Today I get to put the lights and mirrors back on the SV. After a great track day it's back to commuting duties tomorrow.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Right now, I:

- live on my own
- in a city that's absurdly cheap to rent/live/eat/booze in
- own four motorcycles
- own no car
- have a girlfriend with a new car under warranty & a hidden carport that I use for my bikes.

If I lived with my parents, I'd be competing with my stepbro who's a massive gearhead that takes up the entire garage for his tools, equipment, and random muscle car or ancient Jap car he takes home to fix up and flip. Not to mention the other caveats of living with parents, and the general shittiness and priciness of living in Chicagoland, which negates the prospect of free residency and free food.

move out dude.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I still haven't had any major problems living with my parents, but I'm planning on moving out soon after I graduate college. Going to miss using my dad's garage once I do though.

Anyway, for content, yesterday I figured out that my KDX no longer has a clutch. It's been kind of sticky for a couple years, but this time I managed to ride around my backyard about 10 times with the lever pulled and it never disengaged. I guess it's time to fix it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After I got my bike back from Idaho [see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405422&pagenumber=6#post394545274 for a brief ride report], I did an oil change and a headlight bulb replacement.

New bulb is a gently caress you bright Sylvania Silverstar Ultra because everybody I ride with says they can't see the stock low beam during the day. Ended up burning out the high beam so I had to get a new bulb. Gonna make sure to ride tonight and see how bright it really is!

My Mobil1 10w40 went up in price at Autozone. Used to be like $9.95/qt, now it's $10.95 or something. At least I can still get it at Autozone. I prefer not dealing with motorcycle parts counters just to get oil change stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

After I got my bike back from Idaho [see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405422&pagenumber=6#post394545274 for a brief ride report], I did an oil change and a headlight bulb replacement.

New bulb is a gently caress you bright Sylvania Silverstar Ultra because everybody I ride with says they can't see the stock low beam during the day. Ended up burning out the high beam so I had to get a new bulb. Gonna make sure to ride tonight and see how bright it really is!

My Mobil1 10w40 went up in price at Autozone. Used to be like $9.95/qt, now it's $10.95 or something. At least I can still get it at Autozone. I prefer not dealing with motorcycle parts counters just to get oil change stuff.

Why not just buy a gallon of the Shell Rotella T for $25?