Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Lot 49 posted:

I'd like a touchscreen kindle to get rid of the keyboard which I never use but I'm not buying something that doesn't have physical buttons for page turning.

I agree with this sentiment. Upon first inspection, I'm still leaning towards the Kindle 3 w/3G as opposed to the new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Full Kindle product matrix on this page:
http://www.kindle.com

The new Kindles are even lighter than the old one, which wasn't very heavy to start with.

Also, they are now playing pretty fast-and-loose with the "special offers" model. Most of the prices being quoted are for that.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Man, I was just expecting them to announce a tablet, which I'm not really that interested in. I'm going to be all over that Kindle Touch though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Quick price listing:

Kindle (Wifi only) $79 ($109 w/o Special Offers)
Kindle Touch (Wifi only) $99 ($139 w/o Special Offers)
Kindle Touch Wifi+3g $149 ($189 w/o Special Offers)
Kindle Fire (Wifi only) $199 (Special Offers not available as far as I can tell)

e: Kindle 3 is now called "Kindle Keyboard"

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 28, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna hold out on the fire untill a 3G version with a competitive data plan comes out.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah I'm a little surprised there wasn't a 3G option for the Fire, that's a major turnoff for me.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So there's a new non-touch Kindle with a 5-way controller as well? Random. Personally I think I'll stick with my keyboard model. Gives me something to hold it by and I do use the keyboard fairly often.

I'm guessing there's no 3G option for the Fire yet due to the potential for much greater data usage.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

smackfu posted:

Also, they are now playing pretty fast-and-loose with the "special offers" model. Most of the prices being quoted are for that.
(Disclaimer: I work for Amazon)

It seems to me like this might be a stigma-reduction strategy. People are probably wary of gifting something that is the cheaper version with ads, worried that it would appear tacky. But since the ads don't show up during actual reading, most people don't seem to mind once they actually use the device, so by treating the special offers version as the normal one, they make it seem more normal to gift it too.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

They are definitely trying as hard as they can to spread these things all over. I'm finding it hard to resist buying the non-touch kindle right now since it's the only one I can have in my hands in a few days, even though I'm sure I'd prefer at least the touch wifi.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The new lit case has the light in the center up top instead of off to the right. Pretty nice.

My pre-order is in.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'm actually curious about the sales of the ad-supported vs. ad-free versions. If the ads were the slightest bit intrusive, or if I could use custom screensavers without a hack, I would totally spring for the ad-free. Otherwise I see no point (personally...I can see how any ads on a device might bother others).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

New Kindles then....

Do the IR touchscreens still work OK in bright daylight? How does it impact battery? Is there a new E Ink screen on these ones or is it just last year's Pearl screen overlayed with IR sensors?

Probably the latter, like the Nook Touch. The battery life isn't impacted much either.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys notice they dropped the price of the ad-supported keyboard version to match the Touch?

(It was $114, wasn't it?)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

commish posted:

Man, $79 Kindle and $199 Fire pretty much punch B&N in the face.

Edit: Oh no, a Kindle Touch. I'm sure some of you are furious :p
Yeah this is definitely a case of competition being good for consumers, I think B&N will have no choice but to price drop.

I do use the physical page turn buttons on my Nook Simple Touch. It's interesting that Amazon omitted those, but they're clearly going for a minimalist design.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

BobTheCow posted:

Yeah I'm a little surprised there wasn't a 3G option for the Fire, that's a major turnoff for me.

I don't think you'll see one. With 'free' prime streaming of the media, there's no way they could make an agreement with a wireless carrier for that kind of data. E-books and kindle-style wikipedia web browsing, sure.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It seems as if the Kindle Touch isn't available in the UK. They're only advertising the non-touch Kindle (There needs to be a name for it).

And it appears to be the non-special offers edition as well. It's £89. Which is a good price.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
They made the memory smaller? And still no SD? I guess I'll be switching to a Nook when I decide to replace my Kindle 3. I've been planning on replacing it once the new generation came out because my SO wants to claim my K3 but I didn't think I'd be switching companies. Apparently ereaders weren't made for people with a lot of personal documents on top of their purchased books.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
How many gigs of personal documents do you have?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Centipeed posted:

It seems as if the Kindle Touch isn't available in the UK. They're only advertising the non-touch Kindle (There needs to be a name for it).
They're calling the new one a Kindle and the 3rd gen a Kindle Keyboard.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Nook seems like an odd choice, given the inroads Amazon has made. As far as storage goes, I can't imagine how someone can run into a storage limit with even 1GB available, unless you like to store your mp3 collection on your e-reader. Plus, with lending and now library access (which is fantastic), it seems like Amazon would be the clear choice, unless you're just a natural underdog rooter.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

So there's a new non-touch Kindle with a 5-way controller as well? R

And it's cheaper than the keyboard one and doesn't have a 3G option?

I am utterly baffled by these decisions.

edit: Oh, less storage and batter life. It's kind of a Kindle Lite.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 28, 2011

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

How many gigs of personal documents do you have?

It's a numbers thing. They aren't big (7 or 8 mb) but there are many. I've just been sort of dealing with the collections thing and wishing there were a better option. I might have up to 2 gigs which won't fit. Really the reason I wanted an ereader is because I'm a very indecisive reader so I always need about a dozen books along with all my personal documents that I need for work. Really it's the SD that is the issue. As it is now I have to delete all my work documents every time someone else wants to use my Kindle. I was really rooting for a card I could just put those on and pull when someone wanted to see it. It would keep my lists shorter and more navigable instead of long and unwieldy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm not that surprised they cut the storage, since you can just delete your books and reload them from the cloud if you ever need them again. OTOH, exactly what is the marginal cost of 2GB of flash? $0.50?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

chippy posted:

And it's cheaper than the keyboard one and doesn't have a 3G option?

I am utterly baffled by these decisions.

edit: Oh, less storage and batter life. It's kind of a Kindle Lite.

I'm not baffled at all, but both the Kindle and the Kindle touch appeal to me. I suspect I'll get the Kindle eventually, because I like to have buttons on either side.

Especially if they don't sell the Kindle Touch in the UK within a reasonable time-frame.

It's going to be annoying to have to get another case, though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, from the engadget Kindle Touch impressions:

quote:

The touchscreen is fairly responsive, and the thing flips through pages quickly with a swipe or a tap, refreshing about once every six pages or so, a rate about on-par with that of its chief competition.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Civil posted:

I don't think you'll see one. With 'free' prime streaming of the media, there's no way they could make an agreement with a wireless carrier for that kind of data. E-books and kindle-style wikipedia web browsing, sure.

Oh I didn't expect it to be included in the price like the current gen Kindle e-readers, but at least the possibility of a monthly data package.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So, are those black lines below the screen on the Touch edition a home button or what?

I don't think it's a speaker, since they're in the rear of the device.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

In case anyone's interested in how the Touch works with page-turning:

quote:

Amazon invented a new type of touch experience that eliminates the fatigue caused by continuously swiping to turn the page, and that allows readers to hold Kindle with either hand while still turning pages comfortably. With EasyReach, Kindle Touch users can effortlessly page forward in a book or a periodical while holding the device with either hand. Tapping on most of the screen area will page forward, the most common action done when reading; tapping in a narrow area near the left edge of the device turns to the previous page; and tapping on the top part of the screen brings up the toolbars for further options. This is another way that Kindle helps readers get lost in the author's world.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

smackfu posted:

Incidentally, from the engadget Kindle Touch impressions:
Wait, what does it do within that 6-page section?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cicero posted:

Wait, what does it do within that 6-page section?
That quote's just referring to the method of only doing a "full" refresh (with the blanking out of the screen with black) every 6-pages or so. Between that, it just instantly changes the text without a flash. I think this leads to a little bit of shadowing/artifacting that you can see, but the trade-off is "hey, a lot less flashing in my face."

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I think I'd rather have the flash, I've completely tuned it out at this point. I expect it saves on a batter a bit though. I think the ghosting, when it does happen, looks horrible.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

chapstickie posted:

It's a numbers thing. They aren't big (7 or 8 mb) but there are many. I've just been sort of dealing with the collections thing and wishing there were a better option. I might have up to 2 gigs which won't fit. Really the reason I wanted an ereader is because I'm a very indecisive reader so I always need about a dozen books along with all my personal documents that I need for work. Really it's the SD that is the issue. As it is now I have to delete all my work documents every time someone else wants to use my Kindle. I was really rooting for a card I could just put those on and pull when someone wanted to see it. It would keep my lists shorter and more navigable instead of long and unwieldy.

I still have a Kindle 2 (which I now will exchange for the newly price-dropped Kindle 3 - finally I can get rid of the screen damage) with 1 GB and I'm nowhere near using 1/5 of the space available. And I have nearly 200 (bought) books on it.

I see your point regarding work documents and SD cards though.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 28, 2011

commish
Sep 17, 2009

chippy posted:

I think I'd rather have the flash, I've completely tuned it out at this point. I expect it saves on a batter a bit though. I think the ghosting, when it does happen, looks horrible.

You really prefer that flashing to a millisecond of ghosting? That flashing is the single reason I refused to get an e-reader for a long time. Just annoying.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

Oh I didn't expect it to be included in the price like the current gen Kindle e-readers, but at least the possibility of a monthly data package.

Hopefully you have a phone capable of wifi tethering or a portable hotspot. With so many different devices wanting a network connection, it's awkward and expensive to have multiple mobile data subscriptions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Silk Browser split processing thing is a weird feature on the color tablet. What problem is it trying to solve? Is wifi browsing too slow for people now?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Forget touch screens. I wanted color e-ink. That's really the only innovation I can think of that would make me want to upgrade before my current kindle breaks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

The Silk Browser split processing thing is a weird feature on the color tablet. What problem is it trying to solve? Is wifi browsing too slow for people now?

Flash play maybe? I don't know, I would think a OMAP DC 1Ghz would be quick enough for pretty much everything the web offers nowadays.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

You're against faster browsing?

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
I think I just figured what everyone in my family is getting for Christmas! I hope they get the international versions of the cheaper Kindle out before the holiday season and there's enough of a supply.

maxnmona posted:

Forget touch screens. I wanted color e-ink. That's really the only innovation I can think of that would make me want to upgrade before my current kindle breaks.

Color e-ink isn't really viable yet for devices in the $100 range and wont be for a couple of years atleast. The different color e-ink or any similar technologies aren't really all that impressive even on a prototype level from what I've seen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think I'm going to grab a $99 Touch for now, and see how it does with some of my PDFs (this would be awesome to keep datasheets on for electronic parts, goddamn). If it turns out to be horrible, well, I have another gadget around and I'll just get an iPad 3 next year.

Asking around, the ads seem to be really unobtrusive so I'm a-ok with this decision.