Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ogopogo posted:

Switching up your flour will also achieve different textures and chews. Keep check on your dough temp and timing.

Margherita I made for a small video shoot, the benefits of nice lighting.

A big ol' NYC style cheese pizza for a kids party the other day.

:eyepop: holy cow, both of those look incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I upped the gluten in my normal dough balls to get to the percentage recommended for NY pizza. I think I could use these dough balls as stress relief squeezers.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I decided to yolo it and make crust with no thought of how to store it or anything. I'd like to let the yeast work on it for 3 days. Do I let it spend any time on the countertop before putting it into the fridge? I used 100 degree water in it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely put it in fridge

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

ok, so zero counter time?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

counter time is unnecessary

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

What kinds of mushrooms go well on a pizza? What do they go with? I just tried oyster mushrooms, lightly fried with butter and garlic to knock out most of their water.

I put them onto a pesto pizza with thin sliced tomato and they got kinda lost on it. Flavor was good but didn't go with the rest, tomatoes and mushrooms together added too much water.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm a heretic, but I think canned mushrooms on pizza are the best.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i like lots of kinds of shrooms on pizza but you gotta saute the water out of them first. you gotta use other more mild ingredients or they can get lost. i made a really good morel mushroom pizza once

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
one of my favourites at our local place is roasted button mushrooms, parmesan, cream, garlic and chopped fresh tarragon. The licoricy sweetness of the tarragon is amazing with mushrooms

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I fry button mushrooms in butter, often with a sprig of thyme and a clove of garlic, then glaze them with balsamic vinegar and add black pepper. I transfer them to a small bowl and let them sit in their juices until it's time to put them on the pizza. They get sort of marinated.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 15, 2021

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ok, so the principle is sound (precook to prevent them from dumping water onto your pizza as they cook), just make sure they're not squaring off against another strong-flavored ingredient.

I always thought oyster mushrooms cooked to a relatively firm texture, but I guess I'm mistaken? They ended up kind of mushy

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Also, not to keep bombing the thread, but how long can you let a yeast dough work in your fridge? At 3 days the crust was tasty, but we didn't finish it and are thinking of doing it again at 5 days. Is 5-6 days courting disaster?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it should be fine

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HolHorsejob posted:

Also, not to keep bombing the thread, but how long can you let a yeast dough work in your fridge? At 3 days the crust was tasty, but we didn't finish it and are thinking of doing it again at 5 days. Is 5-6 days courting disaster?

I think Ragusea lets his go up to 7-8 days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ABOKdHEUs

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
gently caress me, it’s happening!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ogopogo posted:

gently caress me, it’s happening!

do buffets on sunday nights. all yukon eat

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

do buffets on sunday nights. all yukon eat

We are kicking ourselves for not finding that pun sooner.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HolHorsejob posted:

Is 5-6 days courting disaster?
That's my normal cold ferment time.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Update:

It's good. The texture, workability, & flavor were even better at 5 days. We eased up on the cook time a little bit and it turned out fantastic. Thin and chewy.

Next up: Easing off the strong flavors and balancing. Cheese pizza and margherita are pretty much there, but pepperoni and pesto-base pizzas just have way too many powerful, competing flavors and I'm not sure how to ease it up. Goat cheese and feta are too intense as well.

What are your favorite topping combos? We're thinking of a grilled pineapple hawaiian, or maybe a cilantro, grilled corn & onion base next.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I think pesto might be better if it were the focus of the pizza; highlighting it's complex flavors by contrasting it with milder, one note toppings, like mozzarella, grilled chicken, and sweet onions.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

counter time is unnecessary

I asked basically the same question itt a week ago and everyone responded the opposite: Counter time up to 24 hours, followed by fridge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

I asked basically the same question itt a week ago and everyone responded the opposite: Counter time up to 24 hours, followed by fridge.

by "everyone" you mean one person said they did 4 hours on the counter and put in fridge for cold ferment

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well make that a +1.

Using 100 degree water may mean the yeast can get active enough in the fridge, but why the gently caress are you using 100 degree water for a long ferment unless your schedule mandates you can't counter rest.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

by "everyone" you mean one person said they did 4 hours on the counter and put in fridge for cold ferment

3 people itt have responded they do a room temp ferment of some time and many, many recipes out there suggest the same even for a 3+ day cold ferment, ranging from hours a full day. My point is just that it doesn't seem settled at all that some time at room temp is "un-necessary"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I only do enough room temperature fermentation to get the dough warm again so it's not like trying to pull a deflated whoopie cushion.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

"settled" is a matter of opinion but I don't think it's worth the extra time and effort of doing a counter rise before putting it in the fridge if I'm going to rest it in there a few days anyway. It adds an extra hour(s) till the end of the process and makes it harder to split it into separate dough balls since there's a greater volume of dough to work with

i say unnecessary because you don't need it to make great pizza. perhaps some people think it enhances the flavor but that's hardly a requirement to do it. i never bother and my pizzas turn out good

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 18, 2021

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

GramCracker posted:

:eyepop: holy cow, both of those look incredible

Yeah, seriously! Excellent work @ogopogo. Would love to know any secrets behind making both, assuming they aren't already posted ITT. Obviously they're for visuals, but I'm sure they tasted great too.

As a (formerly) native New Yorker eating both of those has been all too common, and making something similar at home has been a goal for years. Every bag of 00 flour I bought did nothing with a max oven temp of 500 (assuming it actually reached that)... preheated pizza stone be damned.

e: grats on the restaurant!

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 19, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ianskate posted:

As a (formerly) native New Yorker eating both of those has been all too common, and making something similar at home has been a goal for years. Every bag of 00 flour I bought did nothing with a max oven temp of 500 (assuming it actually reached that)... preheated pizza stone be damned.

I'm from upstate and missed that flavor, which was pretty similar. Something I figured out recently was that New York style has more protein (like 14-15% gluten) and there are specialty flours for it. I got a much similar texture adding more gluten; it could hold itself up and be manhandled. Type 00 makes a puffier, lighter pizza. I still keep some type 00 around for a pinch because it hydrates quickly and is pretty easy to use same-day.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm from upstate and missed that flavor, which was pretty similar. Something I figured out recently was that New York style has more protein (like 14-15% gluten) and there are specialty flours for it. I got a much similar texture adding more gluten; it could hold itself up and be manhandled. Type 00 makes a puffier, lighter pizza. I still keep some type 00 around for a pinch because it hydrates quickly and is pretty easy to use same-day.

Interesting, I wonder if they're actually using high gluten flour, or if the hard water combined with well seasoned and HOT AF brick/coal/wood fired ovens really help pull out the moisture in the short bake time versus a home oven dragging it on for 10x as long. Obviously there are many factors that play into it, and when you nail them down it's a perfect harmony.

This is all theoretical and I'm not that experienced enough, so I'll have to look around and find some high gluten flour to experiment with. That and maybe throw my pizza stone onto the grill. I quit trying a few years ago, and it's been bugging me that I couldn't even get close - and then I found this thread!

re: the 00, had no idea. I may have started experimenting with it after trying out this Roman Pinsera in Brooklyn, before they went out of business. Was some incredibly tasty stuff, though not being traditional pizza, people didn't trust it. Light and fluffy, crispy, great texture and not a gut busting doughy 2-3 day leftover slice affair. AFAIK they used a variety of alternative flours.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I know we're doing fancy neapolitan pizza here, but is there a consensus on a good go-to recipe for dough that is easy to handle and simple to make with acceptable taste/texture for when you just need to get some pizzas going with minimal fuss?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KinkyJohn posted:

I know we're doing fancy neapolitan pizza here, but is there a consensus on a good go-to recipe for dough that is easy to handle and simple to make with acceptable taste/texture for when you just need to get some pizzas going with minimal fuss?

Just whatever decent flour and a 62%ish hydration will do you fine. Ooni has a quick pizza dough recipe that isn’t bad.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ianskate posted:

Interesting, I wonder if they're actually using high gluten flour, or if the hard water combined with well seasoned and HOT AF brick/coal/wood fired ovens really help pull out the moisture in the short bake time versus a home oven dragging it on for 10x as long. Obviously there are many factors that play into it, and when you nail them down it's a perfect harmony.
Neapolitans are done at 900F but New York pizza is done at "only" 600F. The saturation is a big deal though; you slap the pizza in the brick oven and it doesn't bat an eye. If you can muster a bunch of thermal mass at 550F or do magic with the broiler then I don't think it'll be too far off.

quote:

This is all theoretical and I'm not that experienced enough, so I'll have to look around and find some high gluten flour to experiment with. That and maybe throw my pizza stone onto the grill. I quit trying a few years ago, and it's been bugging me that I couldn't even get close - and then I found this thread!
I'm not really in the know but apparently General Mills' All Trumps flour is the standard for NY Pizza at 14.2% gluten:
https://www.generalmillscf.com/products/category/flour/hard-spring-wheat/all-trumps-enriched-malted-50lb

You won't find that in a regular supermarket but it sounds like it's ubiquitous in the US through wholesalers and distributors. Somebody will now respond here that they saw it at Costco.

I generally bump up gluten with vital wheat gluten though and that's probably your easier poor man's way of doing it. Going from 10-11% to 14% is getting to the point where you want to think about the math in full detail. That is, you want 14% gluten when you account for the total final weight of the flour, and then you want to adjust your hydration. When I only have to bump a all-purpose flour 1% for bread or whatever I don't really do all that, but it was more considerable when going up 4-5%.

quote:

AFAIK they used a variety of alternative flours.
If they're getting into artisanal flours then they're in another universe. You'll get "protein content" listed from some of them that aren't necessarily gluten, so figuring out how robust the dough will be requires some trial-and-error. I had gotten some type 00 pizza flour from the local mill here that I think was outright just mislabeled. It wouldn't pull without tearing and rolled out and baked flat like a giant communion wafer. The outer crust was crackly. I'm thinking it might have made a better flammkuken than a pizza (nobody talks about flammkuken).

Speaking of NY pizza:

KinkyJohn posted:

I know we're doing fancy neapolitan pizza here,
Haha I think I've said this before but there's an evolution that I noticed back when I was active on the Forno Bravo forums. Everybody would serve these Neapolitan pizzas to rave reviews initially, but after prodding, people would want this or that changed until they were describing a New York pizza. It's just that people won't complain about getting free pizza. It was a topic of chuckles at the masonry supply place when I'd talk about pizza stuff with one of the people there that was really into it. He had gone through the same process.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
One thing about the 600 degree thing, I dunno if it's just because a steel is like too efficient or w/e, but I was cooking them at 550 in my oven on a pizza steel and honestly they were charring on the bottom a little TOO much in 6 minutes and I ended up doing them more often at 500 weirdly enough after despairing for a long time that "ah poo poo my oven doesn't get hot enough!!"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Heads up in case this hasn’t been posted: Ooni is doing 20% nearly site wide for Black Friday.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bolind posted:

Heads up in case this hasn’t been posted: Ooni is doing 20% nearly site wide for Black Friday.

Thank you! Think I'll finally pull the trigger on a Koda 12 & carrying case.

e: apparently they increased prices recently, so this actually only ends up being $30 cheaper than the previous price, so kinda regret not pulling the trigger earlier. Still though, this seems like the price isn't going to get better that this with the current level of demand.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

many mushrooms and pepperoni. Pretty good, made the dough a little dry but it turned out ok

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
deeeetroit baby. used kenjis recipe but added some sourdough and cold fermented for 4 days.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

After years of settling for Hormel pepperoni because it's pretty much what every store has, I decided to give Walmart brand a shot and... it might actually be an improvement? Seems to be a little less greasy and have a stronger flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Was out of parmesan tonight so subbed in pecorino romano on this margarita with Anchovies. Worked real well, the extra sharpness of the pecorino goes nice with the anchovy which doesn't need the umami you usually get from parmesan.