Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ok cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I read the wikipedia on this wrestler and from what happens I'm thinking this will be a super meaty role for Steve Carrell. I can barely stomach Channing Tatum but this seems to be a role he's suited for.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Horrible Bosses 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45XU3v9sPw

Teaser trailer. I gotta say, I'm pretty surprised how much this trailer works for me. I didn't like the Dumb and Dumber To trailer, but this could be... pretty good. It looks similar to Hangover 2 in a sense, but from the looks of it- they changed enough to keep it distinct.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
It looks like boiled poo poo. I'd sooner laugh at my grandma's funeral than that pile of rear end.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DNS posted:

It looks like boiled poo poo. I'd sooner laugh at my grandma's funeral than that pile of rear end.

You can't spell funeral without fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I agree in that it looks really lame. I mean there's just no hook other than the appeal of the actors, which are a talented bunch, but I'm not getting the sense that there's any engine really driving this project other than "it'll make its money back."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A 4th of July message from President Caesar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHVZq20uSA

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm in the minority here but I HATED Horrible Bosses despite the talented cast. I'm all for a good mean-spirited comedy but it pulled a lot of punches where it could have been more interesting, and when it was dark it just seemed like it was trying to be "edgy".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Man, I can't believe they didn't just man up (ape up?) and release this during the 4th of July weekend, there's nothing good out today that wasn't out last week, considering the big releases are ET 2: Cloverfield 4 Kids, Melissa McCarthy Plays A Wretched Human Being 5 and A Horror Movie.

(and, y'know, Life Itself but that doesn't count because it's a limited release)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I don't think that's Caesar in that clip, it looks more like the angry ape.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Looks like Cormac McCarthy's next book to movie is Child of God filmed by James Franco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZyAL-Tpws

If you have read the book, yeah, this should be an intense movie.

Now where the hell is my 6 hour Blood Meridian movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CodeJanitor posted:

If you have read the book, yeah, this should be an intense movie.

I've been waiting for this one for a while. The early film festival buzz has been much more positive than for As I Lay Dying, and the book is great.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks interesting and I love Tim Blake Nelson, but I got no idea from that trailer what the movie is actually about

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

morestuff posted:

Looks interesting and I love Tim Blake Nelson, but I got no idea from that trailer what the movie is actually about

Agreed. Most of the scenes shown in the trailer are cut off or edited in a way that people who read the book knew what was next or what was being hinted at. Everyone else will be left confused.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huh. I mean granted I've read the book but I thought the trailer spelled it out pretty well, maybe too well. Basically all you need to know is "Crazy motherfucker lives out in the woods."

It certainly tells you more than the first teaser, which I kinda love and hate at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnCWxhYyEE

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3LB0lOJ0o

DNS fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wasn't really feelin it until NPH showed up. I'm not sure about this whole "airport novel" phase in Fincher's career.

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, it's good. Has some really good characters and twists. Straight-up airport novel like you said though. I know everyone hated the ending of the book, but I loved it and I'm a little bummed they're changing it for the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wasn't really feelin it until NPH showed up. I'm not sure about this whole "airport novel" phase in Fincher's career.

Seconding what Lester said. People can't even handle the mild shenanigans of Prisoners, they are going to hate the gently caress out of the ending of Gone Girl. I liked it, though, everybody says they love pulp fiction but wouldn't be caught dead reading it. All the promo stuff of Gone Girl is soaked in it so I am skeptical of what Fincher & Co. have changed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seconding what Lester said. People can't even handle the mild shenanigans of Prisoners, they are going to hate the gently caress out of the ending of Gone Girl. I liked it, though, everybody says they love pulp fiction but wouldn't be caught dead reading it. All the promo stuff of Gone Girl is soaked in it so I am skeptical of what Fincher & Co. have changed.

I mean I think there's a little bit of a distinction between pulp and airport fiction, not that I'm dissing either.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I have absolutely no clue how that ending could possibly have been put to film

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anyone want to spoil it for me?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

The basic gist of it is Nick's wife has a history of 'punishing' people for perceived transgressions. Nick turns out to be cheating on her after their marriage goes through a massive slump, so she decides to punish him by literally framing him for her murder. This includes direct bodily self-harm to leave DNA evidence at a crime scene she fakes, an elaborate 'treasure hunt' of subtle 'screw you' clues to her husband, and writing a fictional diary stretching years back into the past that steadily ramps up to "I am afraid my husband is going to murder me!". There's a lot more to the BS of it than that though.

I enjoyed reading the book (in an airport, no less) but I am really pleased to hear the ending will be changed.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I loved the book, and thought the ending was genius, but I'm excited to see how it will be different in the film, and not only because it would make for an awkward film ending. Apart from the knowledge that the ending will be different though, the trailer makes it look like they really captured the book very well. Really looking forward to it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redcheval posted:

The basic gist of it is Nick's wife has a history of 'punishing' people for perceived transgressions. Nick turns out to be cheating on her after their marriage goes through a massive slump, so she decides to punish him by literally framing him for her murder. This includes direct bodily self-harm to leave DNA evidence at a crime scene she fakes, an elaborate 'treasure hunt' of subtle 'screw you' clues to her husband, and writing a fictional diary stretching years back into the past that steadily ramps up to "I am afraid my husband is going to murder me!". There's a lot more to the BS of it than that though.

I enjoyed reading the book (in an airport, no less) but I am really pleased to hear the ending will be changed.

It's weird that this sounds at once so like a David Fincher ending not just because of Fight Club and something that is nigh-unfilmable without coming across as a lurid "screw you" to audience expectation, like writing a conventional mystery was too hard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

redcheval posted:

Weird, that's the ending I thought was suggested by the trailer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, I've never heard of the book and the trailer seemed to be telegraphing that ending super clearly.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Super spoiler: That isn't the ending.

If you want to know what the ending is: Amy returns home, having framed another guy (NPH's character) for her kidnapping, and basically forces Nick to stay married to her on the promise that she will completely loving destroy him if he divorces her. Then she uses a sample of his semen from a sperm bank that Nick thought had been long destroyed to get pregnant, assuring that he'll stay. They stay together out of a mix of mutually assured destruction, and weird admiration for one another. Nick's life would be boring now without her, etc.

The way the book ends is great, but would make for a lovely film ending just because of the pacing, so it makes sense to change it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The video has been made private, what's the book called?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Gone Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLPdwyJLWJE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

If you want to know what the ending is: Amy returns home, having framed another guy (NPH's character) for her kidnapping, and basically forces Nick to stay married to her on the promise that she will completely loving destroy him if he divorces her. Then she uses a sample of his semen from a sperm bank that Nick thought had been long destroyed to get pregnant, assuring that he'll stay. They stay together out of a mix of mutually assured destruction, and weird admiration for one another. Nick's life would be boring now without her, etc.

The way the book ends is great, but would make for a lovely film ending just because of the pacing, so it makes sense to change it.

Yeesh.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Oh, I see. I think I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly they're changing of the ending since 'the whole third act' feels like more than just the 'murdering Desi' thing. I'm still guessing the framing Nick thing will be part of it but I'm hoping they do something to make it more nuanced rather than 'man, women, am I right?'

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The author of the novel wrote the screenplay for the film as well, which is usually a good sign in terms of faithfulness.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
One last, extended trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9vypfwbvk

I've been extremely impressed with every trailer I've seen for this, between the music choice and the editing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4e-qJdEAXo
Another Hunger Games teaser.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

They are really good at this.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Theyve really done a great job with the Hunger Games movies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I entered this trailer I cut together in a YouTube user's contest for a fan edited Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice trailer. I'm such a nerd :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFWeBkv184

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 10, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

teagone posted:

I entered this trailer I cut together in a YouTube user's contest for a fan edited Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice trailer. I'm such a nerd :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFWeBkv184

I like it; certainly more professional-looking than 99.999% of most fan made trailers. Proper use of Man of Steel font; some references to Injustice: Gods Among Us; good usage of quick cutaways and prerendered videogame footage. So many fan made trailers use clips that are easily indentifiable as clips from other movies, whereas yours uses just enough vague footage as to leave the viewer saying "where'd I see that scene with Affleck, again?". My only complaint is that in addition to the clip of Eisenberg from Now You See Me, I would have also included some clips of him brooding like an rear end in a top hat from The Social Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonz posted:

I like it; certainly more professional-looking than 99.999% of most fan made trailers. Proper use of Man of Steel font; some references to Injustice: Gods Among Us; good usage of quick cutaways and prerendered videogame footage. So many fan made trailers use clips that are easily indentifiable as clips from other movies, whereas yours uses just enough vague footage as to leave the viewer saying "where'd I see that scene with Affleck, again?". My only complaint is that in addition to the clip of Eisenberg from Now You See Me, I would have also included some clips of him brooding like an rear end in a top hat from The Social Network.

Wow, I wasn't expecting any kind of analysis like that. Thank you!!! And yeah, I wanted to use some clips of Eisenberg form The Social Network but he looks goofy as hell in that movie, even while brooding. In Now You See Me, he at least dresses nicely, heh.

• Locked thread