Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

AdrenalinG posted:

Burning all my AA miles before the great devaluation that's forthcoming. Some insane pricing: 17.5k in business for intra-Australia/NZ, 10.k in economy for Qantas. That's cheaper than domestic US redemptions!!!

Has AA announced that they are devaluing or is this just a expectation based on the merger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In this case I believe they already devalued when the merger happened (no more oneworld explorer, 2 charts). But I am sure there will be another.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

asur posted:

Has AA announced that they are devaluing or is this just a expectation based on the merger?

They would have devalued even without the merger. If anything, the merger has been a blessing in disguise because it's given AA other priorities and put a freeze on any changes to the program.

Once the reservation systems merge and 2017 AAdvantage gets announced, I expect a few surprises.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any difference in amenities between Amtrak coach and Amtrak business class? In particular:

• Does coach always have a power outlet?
  • Is working on a laptop for several hours doable?

I mostly fly when I travel for work, so that's my reference point.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

In this case I believe they already devalued when the merger happened (no more oneworld explorer, 2 charts). But I am sure there will be another.
They've hugely devalued awards on AA metal, although partners awards have been relatively untouched.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any difference in amenities between Amtrak coach and Amtrak business class? In particular:

• Does coach always have a power outlet?
  • Is working on a laptop for several hours doable?

I mostly fly when I travel for work, so that's my reference point.

I mostly travel between Boston / DC / New York, but both of these things are true for coach class on all the Northeast Regional and Acela trains. The Acelas have some tables in "business" (coach), the Regionals only have tray tables - but if you don't mind noise, you can go to the cafe car on the Regional and use the huge tables there.

The wifi is terrible, though, and the LTE drops out so tethering is also kind of challenging. If you don't need internet to do work, you're golden.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

turing_test posted:

I mostly travel between Boston / DC / New York, but both of these things are true for coach class on all the Northeast Regional and Acela trains. The Acelas have some tables in "business" (coach), the Regionals only have tray tables - but if you don't mind noise, you can go to the cafe car on the Regional and use the huge tables there.

The wifi is terrible, though, and the LTE drops out so tethering is also kind of challenging. If you don't need internet to do work, you're golden.

This is my experience with the Detroit-Chicago corridor.

However if you are on a tight schedule and a substantial delay will screw you I would look for other options.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Uncle Jam posted:

This is my experience with the Detroit-Chicago corridor.

However if you are on a tight schedule and a substantial delay will screw you I would look for other options.

Same in Southern California. God help you if someone tries suicide by train.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll mostly be on one of the regionals coming from CT to NYC.

Edit: I didn't account for the bumpy ride. Typing is a bit harder than I anticipated. So far it's better than driving, though.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 22, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Cool thread.

Any of youse dropped out of the heavy-travel routine? I'm trying to do that now, or at least mostly. I've spent ten of the past twelve months on the road for work as a contractor (Hyderabad, India; Charlotte, NC; Dallas, TX; Mexico City). Girlfriend finally laid down the law, and I'm looking to settle into a job where my travel would be limited to once a week or two in New York (I live in Washington, DC).

Will I go through withdrawal?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

TheImmigrant posted:

Cool thread.

Any of youse dropped out of the heavy-travel routine? I'm trying to do that now, or at least mostly. I've spent ten of the past twelve months on the road for work as a contractor (Hyderabad, India; Charlotte, NC; Dallas, TX; Mexico City). Girlfriend finally laid down the law, and I'm looking to settle into a job where my travel would be limited to once a week or two in New York (I live in Washington, DC).

Recently got laid off. I don't miss it one bit :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The last devaluation and removal of oneworld explorer awards made it really easy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anybody fly into IND much? I'm going for a wedding in about a month and don't want to rent a car since I'm at a downtown hotel and parking would cost as much as the rental itself. I've never been there without getting a rental. Any advice for the best way to get from the airport to downtown? Taxis and Uber both look like they'd be around $40 each way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

TheImmigrant posted:

Cool thread.

It probably depends on how much you like your girlfriend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

Anybody fly into IND much? I'm going for a wedding in about a month and don't want to rent a car since I'm at a downtown hotel and parking would cost as much as the rental itself. I've never been there without getting a rental. Any advice for the best way to get from the airport to downtown? Taxis and Uber both look like they'd be around $40 each way.

In IND right now, interestingly enough. Find other people going to the wedding and split a taxi.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Thoguh posted:

If your hotel doesn't have an airport shuttle, slip a $10 to one of the other downtown hotel's shuttle drivers. Works all the time for me.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Thoguh posted:

I don't think so since they killed the Green Line bus that went downtown. Sharing a cab or uber is probably your best bet.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

TheImmigrant posted:

Cool thread.

I did heavy travel between 2008 and early 2012. Between early 2012 and mid-2014 I maybe traveled once every other month. I missed it at first since being in the same office at the same desk at the same time with the same people every day drove me nuts, but I settled into a routine and I got used to it. I got to do some regional travel that I could drive to within 3-4 hours to keep things somewhat interesting.

Now I'm back up to 75% travel, and I'm back to the way I was before. When I'm out for more then 4-5 days I want to go home. When I'm back at home working in the office, I can't wait until I get to be back on the road somewhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DJCobol posted:

When I'm out for more then 4-5 days I want to go home. When I'm back at home working in the office, I can't wait until I get to be back on the road somewhere.

Yeah, this is me. Put me in the office for a week straight and I'm climbing the walls.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, this is me. Put me in the office for a week straight and I'm climbing the walls.

Same, I had about a 5 week stretch where I was grounded and was going nuts to get back on the road. Now I'm halfway through 5 back-to-back weeks on the road and I'm ready to be back home for awhile.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Higgy posted:

Same, I had about a 5 week stretch where I was grounded and was going nuts to get back on the road. Now I'm halfway through 5 back-to-back weeks on the road and I'm ready to be back home for awhile.

'On the road' as in constantly moving from place to place, or staying put in one place that isn't home? The actual travel aspect wears me down a lot more than spending a few months in one place on a project. I really hate frequent air travel - trains are much more endurable.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheImmigrant posted:

'On the road' as in constantly moving from place to place, or staying put in one place that isn't home? The actual travel aspect wears me down a lot more than spending a few months in one place on a project. I really hate frequent air travel - trains are much more endurable.

"On the road" as in on a plane every single week but home on the weekends.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Follow up double post:

Thanks to the Blue Angels doing an air show practice in my hometown, my CRJ900 had to stop and land in a nearby town to refuel making us close to two hours late.

Do Never Fly.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Posting from a Frankfurt airport hotel on a Friday night.

I'd rather fly

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How drunk do you folks get while flying/before a fly? I've asked a few airport-hotel-properties to track walk-in-reservations from business travelers that were drunk/disruptive enough to not fly. The numbers are significantly higher than I expected.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sextro posted:

How drunk do you folks get while flying/before a fly? I've asked a few airport-hotel-properties to track walk-in-reservations from business travelers that were drunk/disruptive enough to not fly. The numbers are significantly higher than I expected.

I don't any more, but used to get 'faced before and during long flights. I had a ten-hour layover in Dubai last year coinciding with Sunday brunch and then a beach club bar, after which I was lucky they let me on the flight to DC. It was on Emirates, so it only got worse in flight. Not like belligerent Bad, just goofy and slouchy and eventually sleepy.

The US legacy carriers tend to be priggish about booze, but Emirates and Etihad and Icelandair have been very generous, in my experience.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 24, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

I rarely drink, ever, and have never been drunk. My observation is that pros rarely are drunk on the plane; it's more of a tourist / infrequent traveler thing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Midjack posted:

I rarely drink, ever, and have never been drunk. My observation is that pros rarely are drunk on the plane; it's more of a tourist / infrequent traveler thing.

I think you meant to say the pros are just functional alcoholics so still get allowed on. I've sat by many guys in suits and million miler tags who were basically sweating 80 proof and downing booze but not showing any signs. I also know when I started traveling a lot I was drinking way too much and had to make a decision to scale it back (not an intervention or anything, just for my long term health it seemed like a good idea, I was gaining a lot of weight). It is super easy to fall into a routine of having a couple drinks at dinner and then hitting up the hotel bar every night when you are always traveling.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I think you meant to say the pros are just functional alcoholics so still get allowed on. I've sat by many guys in suits and million miler tags who were basically sweating 80 proof and downing booze but not showing any signs. I also know when I started traveling a lot I was drinking way too much and had to make a decision to scale it back (not an intervention or anything, just for my long term health it seemed like a good idea, I was gaining a lot of weight). It is super easy to fall into a routine of having a couple drinks at dinner and then hitting up the hotel bar every night when you are always traveling.

Amen. I had to dial it way back on my last project. It was Mexico City for three months, with the client picking up my food and booze at the hotel. Tequila is only like $10 a liter at convenience stores already, but without having to pay for booze at home, things got twisted. A lot of my colleagues are alcoholics, moderately to highly functional, but it wears you down even while being tough to break away from the lifestyle.

Also, at a certain age, you start metabolizing alcohol differently. I was in Brussels for several months working when I turned 35. I'd hurt my knee running on cobblestones there, so cardio exercise was out. I spent most of the project working long hours, eating rich food, and drinking Belgian beer. Suddenly, I noticed that the alcohol calories that had never stuck to me before were turning me into a fat bastard. Got rid of the weight eventually, but not the new metabolism.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

Thoguh posted:

It is super easy to fall into a routine of having a couple drinks at dinner and then hitting up the hotel bar every night when you are always traveling.

I've been on 3 week-long work trips now, and I've definitely observed this from the more frequent travelers. If you want to avoid falling into that trap, how do you avoid it/endure it from others, when it's travel for events & customer-facing things where you're expected to join in & put up appearances? I try to just stick to drinking very very slowly to avoid drawing attention to the fact that I'm only having 1 when most others are getting shitfaced.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pvt Dancer posted:

Posting from a Frankfurt airport hotel on a Friday night.

I'd rather fly

Is that the 'Airport' Hotel with the tiny tiny single beds and the broken rear end CRTs in every room? And the gigantic horseshoe bar that only serves BitBurger for beer? drat that place is awful.

quote:

Alco

When I started flying I drank a lot because of the novelty that I could drink without worrying about driving but feeling energetic and good the next day after a night flight outweighs any feeling drinking could give me. Its not really a hangover but something about the cabin air and drinking makes for a negative to neutral feeling the next day.

I did precheck through PHX terminal 3 today and it was a joke: You use the same security xray machine as everyone else, you still have to remove computers and liquids and belts. I asked what the point of the precheck was and they said 'You can keep your shoes on!' Ffffrrghh. And the guy in front of me tried to go through security with 4 32oz bottles of gatorade in his luggage, not sure what dimension he thought that would ever work out in.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Jam posted:

I did precheck through PHX terminal 3 today and it was a joke: You use the same security xray machine as everyone else, you still have to remove computers and liquids and belts. I asked what the point of the precheck was and they said 'You can keep your shoes on!' Ffffrrghh. And the guy in front of me tried to go through security with 4 32oz bottles of gatorade in his luggage, not sure what dimension he thought that would ever work out in.

PHX sucks. Every time I've flown out of there, pre-check is essentially "here, take this card that says expedited screening on it, but still do all the same poo poo we make everyone else does, and then give us back the card."

As for drinking, I only do it if I know I have a long flight and I can sober up the second half, or if I know someone is picking me up. Exhibit A: last week direct BNA-LAX with almost 2 hours to kill in the delta sky club. I was pretty much trashed before boarding and the flight attendant kept bringing me more once I was on the plane. Stopped just after take off and I was fine when I got to LA
Exhibit B: a few years ago Winnipeg-MSP-GRR and my sister was picking me up at home. Bought a fifth of vodka in the duty free, was buzzed at the gate, and thanks to a flight attendant looking the other way, drunk on the plane. Somehow managed to stumble through MSP for my connection and make it home from there. Tried that again last year leaving from Montreal and the flight attendant made me put the vodka away.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

When tsa doesn't follow the normal pre check rules that must really suck. Computers/liquids in bag, coat on, shoes on is the normal at my airports.

I'd be mildly inconvenienced if I had to take my poo poo out sure, but it's annoying that the rules change, probably based only on the tsa agent's whims at the moment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

When tsa doesn't follow the normal pre check rules that must really suck. Computers/liquids in bag, coat on, shoes on is the normal at my airports.

I'd be mildly inconvenienced if I had to take my poo poo out sure, but it's annoying that the rules change, probably based only on the tsa agent's whims at the moment.

Tells you exactly how much any of the dumb poo poo the US has forced on airports actually matters.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Most of the TSA nonsense is security theater, meant for appearances and not actual security. The Atlantic did a good article on it a few years back.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

When I started flying I drank a lot because of the novelty that I could drink without worrying about driving but feeling energetic and good the next day after a night flight outweighs any feeling drinking could give me. Its not really a hangover but something about the cabin air and drinking makes for a negative to neutral feeling the next day.

Alcohol dehydrates you, and so does the lack of humidity when the cabin is pressurized to 8000ft. Combining lots of both means you're going to feel like rear end. I, too, don't drink much on planes either anymore.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Mackieman posted:

Alcohol dehydrates you, and so does the lack of humidity when the cabin is pressurized to 8000ft. Combining lots of both means you're going to feel like rear end. I, too, don't drink much on planes either anymore.

For those of us who don't sleep easily on flights and are all out of Ambien, waking up with a mild hangover is often a price worth paying.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My home airport is "expedited screening" for people who have precheck. Still have to take out laptop and liquids, but no shoes or jacket removal and you go through a metal detector instead of the scanner. Since we didn't even have that until about a year ago I'll take it.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Uncle Jam posted:

Is that the 'Airport' Hotel with the tiny tiny single beds and the broken rear end CRTs in every room? And the gigantic horseshoe bar that only serves BitBurger for beer? drat that place is awful.

It was NH and it was nice. I try to avoid Frankfurt like the plague but sometimes my conviction slips and I get punished immediately. My flight this morning was at the very end of the terminal which takes 30 minutes to get to. Thanks for the reminder, Frankfurt Airport.

Also is taking shoes off at security checks standard in the US? It rarely happens in Europe. The only time I had to take off my shoes this year was, you guessed it, this morning at loving Frankfurt Airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pvt Dancer posted:

Also is taking shoes off at security checks standard in the US? It rarely happens in Europe. The only time I had to take off my shoes this year was, you guessed it, this morning at loving Frankfurt Airport.

Yes. You will get it for flights headed to the US from anywhere.