Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Diesel should be out like next week. Although I think his combined mode sort if sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I heard a lot about this "fix" being potentially damaging to the alt modes so I took precautions with my tools.

Here the front torso is already sanded and finished. I put it back together and it worked 50%; the left shoulder sits in tight but the right one gets loose if you wiggle it a bit. At least it looks good, you cannot notice a permanent mod took place.

I think I'll try this solution instead: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/889560-just-another-non-invasive-generations-blitzwing-shoulder-fix.html

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

therealjon_ posted:

It's gonna be awesome when the first figure finally ships in 2016.
Yeah, and when it turns out that it's a 1:6 figure of Chip Chase.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Another danger of the sanding down Blitzwing fix is that, while it does make the shoulders tighter in bot mode, it can make it more difficult to put the legs in position for pane and tank mode.

Man, I see that they painted the face silver for the takara release, but they didn't paint the "chin guard" part black (or a different color at least). It makes a world of difference, at least it's easy to do by yourself.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well... I'm caught up on Dark Cybertron now. That's a thing. I don't hate it.

So, what's everybody's favorite robots of 2013? MP Prowl is pretty firmly my #1. I think it's probably a Datsun, MP Soundwave, Metroplex and Springer\Sandstorm for everybody, isn't it?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MP Soundwave is my tops, followed my FT Quake Wave, MMC Hexatron, MMC Bovis, and MP Smokescreen.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, it's super unoriginal but for me it has to be MP Soundwave and his cassette buddies. It was like a dream finally come true.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

That's the FansProject headmaster Quadruple U

Nice photographs btw Ka0

Oh I get the name. 4 U's look like UU UU which looks like two W's which stands for Weird Wolf.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Yeah, I have to put MP Soundwave and the cassettes at the top of the 2013 list. Runner-ups include the Datsuns, the Function X figures, and Orion Pax.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MP SW is indeed #1 of the year, we shall see what 2014 brings.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

MP SW is indeed #1 of the year, we shall see what 2014 brings.

$100 Voyager Starscream blown up to supreme size.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Glacialbots and Terminus Hexatron were both just complete surprises for me this year, utterly fantastic stuff.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhinox might make my list, too, but I haven't found him yet.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

Rhinox might make my list, too, but I haven't found him yet.

How do you feel about the floppiest knees, and least repairable floppy knees, I have ever seen on a Hasbro figure of any kind?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

How do you feel about the floppiest knees, and least repairable floppy knees, I have ever seen on a Hasbro figure of any kind?

Don't you ruin him for me you bastard.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Probably better than I feel about Blitzwing's shoulders and Grand Fuselage Canyon, but I guess yet again it'll come down to how lucky/unlucky I get with Hasbro QA.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

At least BW can stand. In the last 2 weeks my son has learned to stand unassisted, and Rhinox is still slumped over on my desk. I GUESS I love Rhinox less than my son now.

Best of luck to both of you. And me too when it hits retail and I buy a second one out of blind hope.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think my favorites of the year would actually have to be Springer/Sandstorm and Trailbreaker/Hoist. Soundwave looks great, but at the end of the day he's still just transforming into a box, and I've always preferred the smaller simpler figures that I can transform quickly without having to be nervous about scratching or breaking. Honorable mentions go to Metroplex for sheer mass, 3rd party Caelus/FoC Swoop for being a Dinobot, and a less disappointing one than Grimlock, and a special "You Tried" award for Blitzwing/Doubledealer, who was just a few hole-covering panels, a PVC nosecone, and some tolerance issues away from being awesome.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh I get the name. 4 U's look like UU UU which looks like two W's which stands for Weird Wolf.

It's Quadruple U. Double U Double U. WW.

My top is obv. MP Soundwave, but Hexatron and Bovis are also real cool. They have nice transformations without falling for the "more complex/fiddly = more betterer" thing that can happen with special collector things.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

FT Quakewave is my #1 of the year, but thats because I'm a sucker for Shockwave and an MP scale that turned out this perfect is unbelievable. I'd say the Datsun bros are all tied at 2nd for me, with Prowl slightly ahead just because he's Prowl.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

QuakeWave seems super cool, but I resisted it since I think a Takara MP Shockwave is probably in the cards at some point. Their upcoming MP Slag, on the other hand, is sorely tempting, especially with the MP Grimlock elevator shoes included.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Keldroc (or anybody else), what are your thoughts about Orion Pax? He looks great, but my favorite feature of his IDW design (shoulder wheeeels) not being there sort of soured him for me.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

Keldroc (or anybody else), what are your thoughts about Orion Pax? He looks great, but my favorite feature of his IDW design (shoulder wheeeels) not being there sort of soured him for me.

I think he's a really solid Optimus-styled figure with an interesting transformation that isn't so fiddly that you can't sit around and change him back and forth absent-mindedly while you watch TV. Even without the shoulder wheels, give him a shot. I think most people will be pleasantly surprised by him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Magic posted:

I actually quite like him. He's small, sure, that's deluxes now, but he's got some great character to him, good articulation, and a decent transformation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

I actually quite like him. He's small, sure, that's deluxes now, but he's got some great character to him, good articulation, and a decent transformation.

I don't think Deluxes are going to stay small for this year. We've already got huge rear end voyagers and legends guys. Newer Deluxes for Generations are probably going to be larger in size too. Yeah there will be a repaint here or there, but if the Generations list is correct we're probably going to see a whole lot of new molds.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

My top is obv. MP Soundwave, but Hexatron and Bovis are also real cool. They have nice transformations without falling for the "more complex/fiddly = more betterer" thing that can happen with special collector things.

People seemed to equate more complex = better a few years back (ROTF Prime, MP Megatron) but that attitude seems to be going away, and that's a good thing. Y'all know how I feel about MP Megatron and Rodimus.

I wasn't including 3rd party toys at first, but I have to give Terminus Hexatron an honorable mention. He's big, well made, and is a friggin' six changer. However, the big downside to him is his complexity (which can't be avoided really) so I don't really like transforming him that much and I'll usually just transform the G1 Sixshot back and forth instead. It's a little ironic that the guy is a six changer but I like to leave him in robot mode.

I never got Quakewave. I didn't get him at release, and then I couldn't find one for a price I was willing to pay at TFCon. Shockwave is funny, really. I love the look of the character, and his G1 toy is huge, but he has a simple transformation even for a G1 toy and just doesn't do very much. I think the reason why I haven't gotten a Quakewave is because I subconsciously believe that he doesn't do a whole lot.

Haven't gotten any Predaking parts either. In fact, the last 3rd party guy I have on preorder is Fansproject Motormaster. I'm starting to get out of third party, as my classics collection is getting close to being "complete". I really just need a proper voyager size Galvatron\Shockwave\Soundwave with cassettes and maybe some Dinobots and then I'd be done. I know Unique Toys is doing a Galvatron and Planet X is doing Swoop but I'm really unsure about getting those.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think two that are on my list for 2013 are the third members for the generation Minicon teams.

Not the deluxe figure, but the dollar store minicons because they released them in America and nobody noticed:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Airlift_(TF_2010)

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Iron_Claw

Because those guys are supposed to go along with these guys:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Brake-Neck_(TF_2010)
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Drivetrain_(TF_2010)
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Swashplate
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Pan-Handler

And the only figures with minicon ports that can fit the entire team is Platinum Omega Supreme and Deluxe Armada Starscream.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Including 3p figures, I'm not even sure it counts as a 2013 toy but I'm going by Thew rules and I got him this year, so I have to give props to the Maketoys Chaos Paladin. This guy is buckets of fun, I love it and I never even gave a poo poo about "The Fallen" character. If you're looking for playability this figure has lots of fun options. I'm so glad I still have a lot of PCC commanders, a lot of them look killer with this set's limbs.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Botcon theme is pirates. I guess we should be thankful they didn't go with ninjas or zombies or chuck norrises. Bleh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Botcon theme is pirates. I guess we should be thankful they didn't go with ninjas or zombies or chuck norrises. Bleh.

I guess lots of Lockdown and Thundertron?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's a stupid theme, especially for the 30th anniversary, but we should be thankful they didn't go for Shattered Glass again or My Little Pony at least.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

If you don't think they're going to find a way to sidle some SG into this set I have news for you.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

But wait!

quote:

Looking over the Club's Twitter, it appears that the set will only be 50% pirate-themed. What exactly might the other half be?

Gee, I can't possibly imagine. :ninja:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
C'mooon, Nightbird. :pray:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

One of the TFP Arcees will be a Nightbird remold, I predict.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

It's been pretty sad watching Botcon toys go from incredible to horrible. 2013 was the first year where I didn't pick up any of them, and so far 2014 doesn't look promising.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Gee, I can't possibly imagine. :ninja:

If it's really ninjas, that would be incredibly lame, but that's par for the course for funpub. That meme is from when, 2001 or so? Next they're going to give them tech spec mottos of "All your base are belong to us" and "Can I haz chezburger?"

Keldroc posted:

One of the TFP Arcees will be a Nightbird remold, I predict.

No, because that would make sense. Nightbird will be a redeco of Generations Tankor.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

If it's really ninjas, that would be incredibly lame, but that's par for the course for funpub. That meme is from when, 2001 or so? Next they're going to give them tech spec mottos of "All your base are belong to us" and "Can I haz chezburger?"

Happy 30th anniversary, here's an internet joke almost that old!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

It's been pretty sad watching Botcon toys go from incredible to horrible. 2013 was the first year where I didn't pick up any of them, and so far 2014 doesn't look promising.

I bought the Rain Makers but only because I'm a whore for that mold. I never got the CHMS ones, so it worked out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Well, that's nice. With all the crazy third party stuff coming out something had to give. This is also gonna be the second year in a row where I don't bother with any of the Botcon toys.