Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah $100 to learn the basics over a month is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Le Saboteur posted:

The 5 week group clinic is going to cost me $99 so it's a financial hit I'm willing to take just to learn some basics.

That's a price worth paying, and almost certainly better than one to one lessons for a new player.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

RCarr posted:

Not getting lessons ruined golf for me. I randomly picked up the game, taught myself all the worst possible habits. Can't play for poo poo. I've broke 100 maybe a handful of times. I just made golf miserable for myself. Now I would have to undo a decade of bad habits, so I just quit.

Post--gangtag combo

e. agree, 5 lessons for $99 is a really low price compared to what I have to pay where I am

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just noticed there was some crap in the golf bag I bought so was just dumping it out and out plopped one of these. Its not one of those fancy rangefinders but I'll take what I can get. http://www.criticalgolf.com/reviews/laser-rangefinders/bushnell-5x20-golf-scope-review/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't even bother. Stick with yardage markers.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't even bother. Stick with yardage markers.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm now playing in a Thursday night league with my boss, so that makes 3 nights in a row every week of league play. Had a 43 tonight with two triple bogeys and a birdie, I was so close to having a stellar 9 holes but alas. The other three scores in the foursome were 55, 55, and 55 so I guess I should be happy it didn't infect me somehow too lol.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Looking to pick up some golf balls and a bunch of TaylorMade balls are on sale near me. Anyone have any experience with a particular type of TaylorMade ball they like?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Le Saboteur posted:

Looking to pick up some golf balls and a bunch of TaylorMade balls are on sale near me. Anyone have any experience with a particular type of TaylorMade ball they like?

Every brand has a very wide range of balls, from cheap two-piece surlyn covered balls to three/four/five piece urethane covered ones. If you can buy balls a sleeve at a time to try out a handful of different models and see which ones feel the best to you that's what I'd recommend. I'd avoid balls that are on the high end of the price spectrum for now unless losing 10-20 bucks in balls every time you play is a non issue for you. There are places like lostgolfballs.com that sell premium balls that are basically new for a third of retail. Other places mark down various models all the time too so once you find something you like you can stock up for cheap every so often.

For Taylormade specifcally, you could try Project A and see how you like those. They're a urethane cover so they spin a lot with your wedges but they should be significantly cheaper than the TP5 balls. If you're playing on soft/slow greens and don't need a lot of spin the cheaper balls will probably work just as well but they may feel firmer than you like.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 5, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

For Taylormade specifcally, you could try Project A and see how you like those. They're a urethane cover so they spin a lot with your wedges but they should be significantly cheaper than the TP5 balls. If you're playing on soft/slow greens and don't need a lot of spin the cheaper balls will probably work just as well but they may feel firmer than you like.

This is a big point. Most people like a softer-feeling ball, but a urethane cover isn't for everyone. It allows for more spin around the greens, but most of the time that also means more spin off the tee, which means any sidespin is magnified. You'll have to pay top dollar for a ball that is actually low-spin off the tee and higher-spin around the green. Plus if you play on slower greens, you may want a little less spin so the ball rolls out towards the hole more.

I used to play the TP Blacks for a while. TP5s are decent balls, and you can find Lethals (the TP5 predecessor) for pretty cheap on LostGolfBalls. Rocketballz (the ones with the green numbers) are a decent distance ball that's still soft enough for most, especially around the green. The Rocketballz has a urethane variant for added spin.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 5, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Yeah I can get a dozen RocketBallz for $21 instead of $35 right now and was gonna pick those up to give them a try.

Actually, just realized I can get them recycled from Amazon for $12 so even better.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 5, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah I can get a dozen RocketBallz for $21 instead of $35 right now and was gonna pick those up to give them a try.

Actually, just realized I can get them recycled from Amazon for $12 so even better.

Recycled or used balls are usually fine but if you see "refinished" or "refurbished" avoid them unless it's an insane deal. Balls that have been refinished were probably in bad shape and painted to look new or something similar and will probably not perform as well as a recycled ball that is being resold after only being hit a couple times and not really damaged at all.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Hey guys, with Players being next week. (We're already setting it up) I have 2 passes for each day of the tournament to give out. If you're in the Ponte Vedra area and you'd like to go, please let me know so I can get you tickets I can email them or give them to you in person. These are Greenside Lounge passes as well so you can go there if you want.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Hey guys, with Players being next week. (We're already setting it up) I have 2 passes for each day of the tournament to give out. If you're in the Ponte Vedra area and you'd like to go, please let me know so I can get you tickets I can email them or give them to you in person. These are Greenside Lounge passes as well so you can go there if you want.

Uhhhhh yes please! I'm in Orlando so not a far drive :)

I'll take 2 for Friday if that's cool!

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mattfl posted:

Uhhhhh yes please! I'm in Orlando so not a far drive :)

I'll take 2 for Friday if that's cool!

Congrats you can have my Greenside Lounge Passes. I have 2 for you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Congrats you can have my Greenside Lounge Passes. I have 2 for you.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Email is @ gmail.com if you wanna email or I can pick them up. Whichever is easier.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 5, 2017

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

mattfl posted:

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Email is REDACTED if you wanna email or I can pick them up. Whichever is easier.

Theyve been emailed. Feel free to edit out your email address. Please follow all the rules. We set them up for a reason :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Theyve been emailed. Feel free to edit out your email address. Please follow all the rules. We set them up for a reason :)

Absolutely man! Thanks again!

So I gotta ask, I'm guessing you work there? Is there a goon discount for tee times by chance? :)

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 5, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

Looks like it's only 5 hours from Atlanta. Since Friday is taken, would you recommend Saturday or Sunday?

Edit: I guess Sunday is the obvious choice? My email is versabox AT gmail

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 5, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wow that's sweet, I hate living up north sometimes.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like it's only 5 hours from Atlanta. Since Friday is taken, would you recommend Saturday or Sunday?

Edit: I guess Sunday is the obvious choice? My email is versabox AT gmail

Sunday is the day I am going and I'm using my Greenside Lounge passes. I can give you the Gen Admin Passes in person if you want. I just realized I don't have plat on my account, so I'll buy it when I get home and PM you details.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Suprfli6 posted:

Wow that's sweet, I hate living up north sometimes.

There are other options, I can request passes for people if I have enough notice. I usually have Clubhouse access with my PGA Tour Staff Credentials, but not for Players because IBM and Microsoft and other big companies rent out the clubhouse for company events. Plus now you know why I was asking about thoughts on Zurich.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 5, 2017

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

quote:

So I gotta ask, I'm guessing you work there? Is there a goon discount for tee times by chance? :)

I missed the second part of your post, but if we play together I can play any course in the TPC network for free (With appointment) and only pay a cart fee. Or I can walk for free.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

Sunday is the day I am going and I'm using my Greenside Lounge passes. I can give you the Gen Admin Passes in person if you want. I just realized I don't have plat on my account, so I'll buy it when I get home and PM you details.
Hmm... would Greenside on a potentially rainy Saturday be better than General Admission on Sunday? I'm leaning that way.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 5, 2017

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Hmm... would Greenside on a potentially rainy Saturday be better than General Admission on Sunday? I'm leaning that way.

Probably not, If rain is on the course, we shut it down. The stuff I'm responsible for at least. You'll probably be allowed to hang out, but if the weather is bad and they cancel then you're stuck. Sunday is the final round. I'm thinking you'll enjoy it. Plus Greenside passes were given to someone else at work here.

BTW: I'm here at HQ until Wells Fargo finishes, so if you have questions about stuff I'll tell you what I can.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 5, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

Probably not, If rain is on the course, we shut it down. The stuff I'm responsible for at least. You'll probably be allowed to hang out, but if the weather is bad and they cancel then you're stuck. Sunday is the final round. I'm thinking you'll enjoy it. Plus Greenside passes were given to someone else at work here.

BTW: I'm here at HQ until Wells Fargo finishes, so if you have questions about stuff I'll tell you what I can.
LOL well if the choice is between GA on Saturday and GA on Sunday, then Sunday it is. VIP experience will just have to wait.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

What exactly do you do lol?

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

mattfl posted:

What exactly do you do lol?

I'm a NOC Engineer! I deploy, maintain, and support Shotlink, Scoreboards, and automate processes used by our Data Center Operations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

I'm a NOC Engineer! I deploy, maintain, and support Shotlink, Scoreboards, and automate processes used by our Data Center Operations.
Do you guys have any need for stats/data analytics guys or is that all IBM crunching the numbers?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

That's loving awesome man.

Need any sys admins lol :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Guys. Never broken par on the front 9 at this course (haven't broken par anywhere in a while, actually), and I'm -4 through 9.

WHAT DO I DO

Edit: 3 putt the par 5 10th from 70 feet and walk away with par? Done.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Just found one of the strangest Amazon reviews ever.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you guys have any need for stats/data analytics guys or is that all IBM crunching the numbers?

We do actually; I work closely with our Data Architect

mattfl posted:

That's loving awesome man.

Need any sys admins lol :)

We just hired one, but I'm sure they could use more.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

We do actually; I work closely with our Data Architect
In that case... https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzo5oucukb2gsbv/QiyuLiu%20resume.pdf

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 6, 2017

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

I'm going to email you about this, because I have some questions, but I might be able to get you an interview. I won't fill the thread with this though.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Nice. Just used your resume to apply to a bunch of unpaid internships in Idaho. Enjoy!

Seriously though, get the gently caress out of Georgia and go to NYC, SF or LA where someone will pay you a couple hundred grand/year with your background.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

BCRock posted:

Nice. Just used your resume to apply to a bunch of unpaid internships in Idaho. Enjoy!

Seriously though, get the gently caress out of Georgia and go to NYC, SF or LA where someone will pay you a couple hundred grand/year with your background.

Yeah I mean with what you can be doing for IBM I don't know why you'd want to move to Florida. I get that golf is a cool aspect of the job but it's a toss up having to live in Florida.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Do you guys watch any "YouTube Golfers" for lack of a better term?

I'm not saying for lessons or tips or anything but just for entertainment.

I'm a huge fan of Mark Crossfield. I love watching his stuff. He and Coach Lockey are a ton of fun to watch. They're coaching pros so the level of play is pretty good, but the banter is phenomenal.

I totally recommend watching the Crossfield vs Andy Sullivan Vlog, yes it's that Andy Sullivan. It's like watching you and your friends talk poo poo to each other and play golf except they're making par/birdie every hole.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Crossfield just played another match with Andy Sullivan but hasn't posted the actual videos yet, I'm really looking forward to them. I wish Gorilla James had kept golfing, he had some funny videos early on with Crossfield.

Improvemygolf (Andy Carter) has a lot of vlogs as do Rick Shiels and Peter Finch and Meandmygolf. AussieGolfReviewer has a lot too. They all do tips and equipment reviews and all that too but I mostly watch the vlogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I'll second the MeAndMyGolf guys, they're really fun and usually have good drills.

Also, put on Golf channel right now cause John Daly is about to win a tournament while wearing American flag pants.