Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Prison Warden posted:

So we had our little character creation/game setup pow-wow thing for Mage yesterday. The character concepts that got brought up were a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil private detective who knows krav maga, a Obrimos scientist who upon Awakening got filled with Divine Purpose and became a war-wizard and a literal ninja Mastigos Silver Ladder, so I didn't really need to ask whether they wanted a more action focused game or something a bit more cerebral or complentative.

One of my two friends who isn't an big anime nerd (ninja guy) also immediately said he wanted an enhanced bulletproof trenchcoat ("duster") and as an adamantine arrow, a katana as a magical focus. I think he's really grasped the real essence of World of Darkness pretty intuitively.

I'm running chargen for my Mage game next week, and I can only pray I get concepts as awesome as these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Prison Warden posted:

One of my two friends who isn't an big anime nerd (ninja guy) also immediately said he wanted an enhanced bulletproof trenchcoat ("duster") and as an adamantine arrow, a katana as a magical focus. I think he's really grasped the real essence of World of Darkness pretty intuitively.

Finally, Mage-chat for the rest of us.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Where did the whole katana/shades/trenchcoat thing really spawn from anyway?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I want to say old cyberpunk started the trenchcoat and katana thing, but I have nothing to actually back that up.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think it was Highlander 2 that really set the stage for the duster plus katana idea. Remember it was already cliche by 1999 when irl school shooters started doing it. Probably shades of Gambit from X-Men as well, I guess you could include that dude from Watchmen too as tapping into and mocking that same aesthetic all the way back in whenever that was.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Wanna play that Obrimos.

I just got into a Mage game that's tossing around character concepts right now too, and we're getting an interesting mix from people who know the system and setting really well and people who are completely new to RPGs. I'm trying to decide whether Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon is a good inspiration for a Moros mage or a really, really tone-deaf one. You got gold, you got death, you got obsession, you got transformation and stagnation...there's magic, I mean, the book features magic.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 11, 2015

Petri
Apr 18, 2013
Me and a couple of friends are thinking about trying Hunter the Vigil out. None of us have any prior experience with WOD games (or knowledge for the mateer) so Hunter seemed like a good place to start. However, I heard about this supplement called God-Machine Chronicle, which apparently updates the rules and in some cases completely reworks them (like the morality system for instance). Should we incorporate these new rules and systems into our gaming game or is Hunter best played with "vanilla" nWOD rules?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm currently playing in a Hunter game, but I am usually our storyteller. If you want the easiest way to learn the game and play it, just play H:tV in 1e, and read the GMC for ideas only, not rules. If you want the rules update, I'd recommend using Hunter: Mortal Remains and downloading the free rules update off the internet. Mortal Remains gives the rules update for Hunter in particular, including a lot of the Endowments and Dread Powers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you're looking to get into NWoD I think I would start with the God Machine Chronicle rules simply because that's what all the books will be supporting going forward. Though I guess you'd still want to read the old rules to use the old books?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're looking to get into NWoD I think I would start with the God Machine Chronicle rules simply because that's what all the books will be supporting going forward. Though I guess you'd still want to read the old rules to use the old books?

Yeah, until the nWoD 2nd Edition core book comes out, you kind of need the original nWoD core and the GMC update (which you can get as a free pdf here), because GMC only includes the rules that have changed.

Personally I think the 2nd Edition ruleset is much improved, and I'd recommend splashing out for at least a pdf of Mortal Remains to get the quick-n-dirty Hunter updates, but if you don't want to deal with all the cross-referencing, Hunter runs just fine with just the 1st Edition nWoD core book and Hunter: The Vigil. (I'd also highly recommend Slashers, mainly because VASCU is one of the best conspiracies in the game line.)

Of course, the other option if you're not in a hurry is to wait for Hunter: The Vigil Second Edition, but since it was just announced at Gen Con it probably won't be out till sometime next year.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Prison Warden posted:

So we had our little character creation/game setup pow-wow thing for Mage yesterday. The character concepts that got brought up were a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil private detective who knows krav maga, a Obrimos scientist who upon Awakening got filled with Divine Purpose and became a war-wizard and a literal ninja Mastigos Silver Ladder, so I didn't really need to ask whether they wanted a more action focused game or something a bit more cerebral or complentative.

And if an additional player doesn't want to play a combat character, the Adamantine Arrow's still open!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Prison Warden posted:

Clearly what this group needs is to be playing Unknown Armies instead.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Prison Warden posted:

How does one become a literal ninja besides being an actual 15th century Japanese mercenary?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Prison Warden posted:

a Obrimos scientist who upon Awakening got filled with Divine Purpose and became a war-wizard

Mystagogue sample character located

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tatankatonk posted:

How does one become a literal ninja besides being an actual 15th century Japanese mercenary?

Not with that attitude, one doesn't.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

tatankatonk posted:

Combination of Time and Mind magic to replace your mind with that of a 15th century Japanese mercenary?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cabbit posted:

Combination of Time and Mind magic to replace your mind with that of a 15th century Japanese mercenary?

I once played in a game where that happened.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Crion posted:

Mystagogue sample character located

I played that concept in a game.

Silver Ladder, it turns out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tatankatonk posted:

He was raised as part of a secret village of ninjas in Japan.

This game does not take place in Japan. It is set in Edinburgh.

Though to be honest I don't really think I'd wanna play in a setting where a ninja attack isn't an option I have available to me as a GM.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think it was Highlander 2 that really set the stage for the duster plus katana idea. Remember it was already cliche by 1999 when irl school shooters started doing it. Probably shades of Gambit from X-Men as well, I guess you could include that dude from Watchmen too as tapping into and mocking that same aesthetic all the way back in whenever that was.

For us it's definitely from Highlander, in the first one Connor is already duster and katanaing it up. There was definitely a few bars of Princes of the Universe hummed at the table.

The only cyberpunk I can think of that we're all aware of is Stand Alone Complex and two of us have played Final Fantasy 7. I definitely think my idea of buying the Obrimos player a copy Snow Crash for his birthday is going to go down well.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Petri posted:

Me and a couple of friends are thinking about trying Hunter the Vigil out. None of us have any prior experience with WOD games (or knowledge for the mateer) so Hunter seemed like a good place to start. However, I heard about this supplement called God-Machine Chronicle, which apparently updates the rules and in some cases completely reworks them (like the morality system for instance). Should we incorporate these new rules and systems into our gaming game or is Hunter best played with "vanilla" nWOD rules?

I suggest the the rules update just for the simplified leveling experience, which is great for a GM and the GMC nullifies having to buy the first edition blue book. I am doing my first WoD game and it is Hunter too. Enjoying it so far while understanding the rules and such. Just need to figure out what my players are going to do for next session.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I just realized why Pentex is still sending checks to the Technocracy.

Ouch.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
In cooler Dark Era news, David Hill posted an early draft of the full Compacts & Conspiracies write-up for Edo Hunter.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When do we get neolithic mage? I want to run/play that so hard.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In cooler Dark Era news, David Hill posted an early draft of the full Compacts & Conspiracies write-up for Edo Hunter.

Hunter Miko, finally my WoD Sailor Moon game can become reality

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Yawgmoth posted:

When do we get neolithic mage? I want to run/play that so hard.

In Dark Eras. Chris delivered the second draft, Developing it is on my To-Do list as soon as I finish the corebook.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

ErichZahn posted:

I just realized why Pentex is still sending checks to the Technocracy.

Ouch.

Why?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Okay, I am totally jazzed for miko-hunters.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Yeah, all of those hunter groups sound really cool. I can't wait to see what else they can come up with!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I like how the Otodo know that Beasts are a thing and recognize that Heroes can cause problems too, so let's ignore this whole cycle and just kill the Beasts when we find them because we don't have time for this nonsense.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Primal Utility, or its Nephandic equivalent.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, i'm concidering running an Nmage game. Two things:
How do you make the whole war for ascension seem... real? how could you bring the players belieably closer to the overarching goal of freeing humanity, overthrowing the exarchs, so on?
What sort of house rules would you suggest?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

http://theonyxpath.com/ascension-mage-the-awakening/

quote:

Changed some of the sample characters – the Arrow lawyer is a public defender now, not a prosecutor.

We take our sample characters seriously in these parts, apparently.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This bit about Ascension is good stuff.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

bewilderment posted:

http://theonyxpath.com/ascension-mage-the-awakening/

We take our sample characters seriously in these parts, apparently.

terrorists win

But nah I actually think that's a good change and that this is a Good Blog Post.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hell, I don't care whether the lawyer is a prosecutor so much as whether we get to learn even a single thing he or she does for the Adamantine Arrow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I was wondering if there has been any goon commentary or experience on the system side of the Onyx Path Revised New 2.0 World of Darkness™. I'm curious because I've been going through nWoD stuff I picked up at the con, and finally cracked open God-Machine Chronicle, and it actually strikes me as an odd collision of design philosophies. On one hand you have the emphasis on stuff like story beats and encouraging people to play up their flaws, but then you have odd fiddly mechanics like tracking damage done to a improvised weapon by using it or how much damage a human shield can absorb. To some extent it feels almost like some sections of the rules are separately designed from others, or at least designed by committee, and a lot of it uses the good old nWoD evocative tone that often makes it hard to parse rules text.

I don't mean to just dump on it, most of it feels positive and well thought-out, but I was curious as to what other folks thought of it. Does the conditions system run smoothly? It seems pretty complicated to track. Are there rules people find themselves not using? Has there been anything that seems really cool at the table that might not be obvious in the rules? I haven't seen a lot of discussion of how the actual play works out, and was curious to find out from people who have given it a whirl.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, I was wondering if there has been any goon commentary or experience on the system side of the Onyx Path Revised New 2.0 World of Darkness™. I'm curious because I've been going through nWoD stuff I picked up at the con, and finally cracked open God-Machine Chronicle, and it actually strikes me as an odd collision of design philosophies. On one hand you have the emphasis on stuff like story beats and encouraging people to play up their flaws, but then you have odd fiddly mechanics like tracking damage done to a improvised weapon by using it or how much damage a human shield can absorb. To some extent it feels almost like some sections of the rules are separately designed from others, or at least designed by committee, and a lot of it uses the good old nWoD evocative tone that often makes it hard to parse rules text.

I don't mean to just dump on it, most of it feels positive and well thought-out, but I was curious as to what other folks thought of it. Does the conditions system run smoothly? It seems pretty complicated to track. Are there rules people find themselves not using? Has there been anything that seems really cool at the table that might not be obvious in the rules? I haven't seen a lot of discussion of how the actual play works out, and was curious to find out from people who have given it a whirl.

Conditions and beats work fine, although I use condition cards and group beats. I've never found a reason to use the Doors system, and the ephemeral entity rules are pretty fiddly and can get in the way of interesting stories rather than creating them. I generally prefer the new combat system, although it's a lot easier to go from fine to dead.

My main takeaway from NWoD 2.0, though, is that the power level feels a lot higher comparing Demon/2e VtR and old VtR, and I'm looking forward to the apparently lower power level of Deviant. I think linear XP leads to people picking up a lot more powers than they might have done otherwise as they're a big chunk of new ability compared to skills or stats, and I kinda prefer games where players have two or three big abilities and are otherwise mundane (Orpheus in the oWoD was a great example of this).

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think nWoD part 2 tracking fiddly bits is in keeping with horror themes of consequence and scarcity, but yeah there are probably non-interger ways of tracking that stuff.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think nWoD part 2 tracking fiddly bits is in keeping with horror themes of consequence and scarcity, but yeah there are probably non-interger ways of tracking that stuff.

Part of that, I think, (and I was not part of the GMC redesign team, so don't take this as behind-the-scenes gospel or anything) is down to the fact that 2nd Edition started as a simple revision and update to some key elements of the rules. I expect that if GMC had been "The World of Darkness Second Edition" from the start, you might have seen more sweeping changes.

And Flavivirus is right: Condition Cards help out a ton with tracking Conditions, and unless you're running a game where intra-party conflict and one-upsmanship is the order of the day, group beats are the way to go.

But yeah, there's certainly stuff I gloss over or don't use. I've never had players track ammo in a game, for example--in nWoD2, I use the "turn a failure into a dramatic failure for a beat" to let players declare they're out of ammo at dramatically appropriate moments. Pretty much anything involved with range, area of effect, etc. gets approximated in my games too. It's easier, I think, to intuitively grasp "this will affect everyone in a large living room or the equivalent" than "this affects everyone within a three meter radius." I personally like the Social Maneuver system a lot, you just have to get a feel for when to use it and when not to. It's great for long-term social engineering projects or making a tense negotiation have more systemic weight than a Manipulation + Persuasion check, but not so much for "I sidle up to the crime scene tape and try to fast-talk the cop into telling me who died."

I also rip out the Resources Merit and replace it with a Filthy Rich Merit I wrote up (and a Poor Persistent Condition players can take if they want that to be a part of their character's story), which contextualizes wealth and privilege in a more thematically relevant way, I think. I think that's about the extent of what I tweak, though. I'll let you know if the Mage game I'm starting up next week reminds me of any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flavivirus posted:

I generally prefer the new combat system, although it's a lot easier to go from fine to dead.
I generally dislike the new combat system for this reason. It feels very Exalted to have these huge defenses that you have to burn resources to beat (and can be negated with similar expenditure) and once you run out you're just hosed. I mean it works, and it's not terrible, but I certainly prefer the old skill+att+tool bonus and def being just the lower of two attributes.

Also, it's quite the outlay of vitae but turning into a bear with agg damage claws is kind of insane.