Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Klyith posted:

"Attacker can gently caress with your BIOS" seems like a big enough prerequisite that any exploit following up on that is just icing on the cake. :shrug:

Is Rutkowska so focused on Management Engine stuff because it has potential to undo the entire foundation of her Qubes system? I could see how that would piss someone off. Build an entire OS around the concept of compartmentalized distrust, then Intel comes along and fucks the whole thing by making something that breaks VM isolation, can't be turned off, and can't be trusted.

Yeah, she did a presentation on the risks of the ME and the compete lack of a way of effectively bypass/disable it at CCC a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

gourdcaptain posted:

And in "I am genuinely completely baffled", my Lenovo Yoga 700-11isk, the Skylake (Intel Core m5-6Y54) tablet convertible that tests vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine issues with Intel's detection tools but wasn't on Lenovo's list of vulnerable laptops:
A) I called them up, spent way too long on the phone convincing them that "yes, this is something you have to fix not Intel, yes, it tests vulnerable, yes, your latest BIOS update from 10/30/2016 doesn't fix it", and was told they'd have to ask Intel about it.
B) A week and change later, it shows up finally on the list of vulnerable laptops with a fix to be released "TBD."
C) ...a day later, the laptop vanishes from the list again.
Genuinely, what?

Ok sir hello, I need you to open your browser and go to double you double you double you, dot Lenovo, dot com, and type in your model laptop, and then click on support, and then click on firmware

Ok, yes sir, I understand sir, but I need you to please follow my instructions. No, sir, I need you to follow the instructions, we must try this to trouble shoot your problem. No sir, my manager is not available. Please open your browser and

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

1998 attack that messes with sites’ secret crypto keys is back in a big way

:coffeepal:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:tif:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

"Exploits typically require an attacker to make tens of thousands of connections to a vulnerable site. "

I mean that sounds really noisy and the kind of thing a facebook or paypal -worthy IDS would pick up right

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

"Exploits typically require an attacker to make tens of thousands of connections to a vulnerable site. "

I mean that sounds really noisy and the kind of thing a facebook or paypal -worthy IDS would pick up right

A distributed network pushing an aggregate 1qps for a few hours? That seems more like something that's going to get lost in the noise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Yeah, but frankly there plenty of cash to be made on marks without IDS (or someone actually watching ids)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a) ids is garbage and insufficient for new attacks of this calibre
b) poc was made against facebook - twice. the second poc was after the engineers attempted a fix and a different variation of the attack was made
c) bleichenbacher variants aren't something that have been forgotten to the mists of time, it's the basis of DROWN

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I guess it's InfoSec related. I just discovered WireGuard, a kind-of replacement for IPSEC (it operates at layer 3 like IPSEC, not at layer 6 like OpenVPN). The whitepaper is pretty good and the tech seems solid. There are rumors it'll make it into the Linux Kernel in the coming two years. The best difference with IPSEC is that the configuration file is like 6 lines (compare that to the nightmare that is StrongSwan, because ISAKMP/IKE is so complex).

~~ Anyway ~~ I was wondering if anybody knows of a Windows, client implementation of that because I could only find modules for Linux. Which is fine for some of my cases but I'd like to be able to run this from my dev machine because it runs Windows.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Furism posted:

I guess it's InfoSec related. I just discovered WireGuard, a kind-of replacement for IPSEC (it operates at layer 3 like IPSEC, not at layer 6 like OpenVPN). The whitepaper is pretty good and the tech seems solid. There are rumors it'll make it into the Linux Kernel in the coming two years. The best difference with IPSEC is that the configuration file is like 6 lines (compare that to the nightmare that is StrongSwan, because ISAKMP/IKE is so complex).

~~ Anyway ~~ I was wondering if anybody knows of a Windows, client implementation of that because I could only find modules for Linux. Which is fine for some of my cases but I'd like to be able to run this from my dev machine because it runs Windows.

as long as you aren't trying to use this now

quote:

About The Project
Work in Progress

WireGuard is not yet complete. You should not rely on this code. It has not undergone proper degrees of security auditing and the protocol is still subject to change. We're working toward a stable 1.0 release, but that time has not yet come. There are experimental snapshots tagged with "0.0.YYYYMMDD", but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security vulnerabilities (which would not be eligible for CVEs, since this is pre-release snapshot software).

but there doesn't look to be a windows client implementation at present, no.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 13, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

astral posted:

as long as you aren't trying to use this now

but there doesn't look to be a windows client implementation at present, no.

Yes it wouldn't be for anything critical, barely a little more than experimenting with it. But you're right to point it out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Furism posted:

Despite the fact that Jason does excellent work (I'm very happy with password-store, which he also makes), there aren't a whole lot of citations for the whitepaper, and none from papers published in journals on the master list.
However, let's assume for a second that the implementation passes muster - there's still the same blocker for any and all VPN technologies, namely client OS adoption.
IPsec can be relied on to be available basically everywhere and with NAT-T and ESP (defaults to aes128-sha256 on FreeBSD, anything supplied by crypto(9) can be used) there are very few places where you can't use it. Plus, if you throw L2TP into the mix, there's basically nothing you can't use it for.
OpenVPN, WireGuard, and anything else requiring additional client software limits deployability, doesn't necessarily carry all traffic, and there are networks where it won't be usable.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

D. Ebdrup posted:

Despite the fact that Jason does excellent work (I'm very happy with password-store, which he also makes), there aren't a whole lot of citations for the whitepaper, and none from papers published in journals on the master list.
However, let's assume for a second that the implementation passes muster - there's still the same blocker for any and all VPN technologies, namely client OS adoption.
IPsec can be relied on to be available basically everywhere and with NAT-T and ESP (defaults to aes128-sha256 on FreeBSD, anything supplied by crypto(9) can be used) there are very few places where you can't use it. Plus, if you throw L2TP into the mix, there's basically nothing you can't use it for.
OpenVPN, WireGuard, and anything else requiring additional client software limits deployability, doesn't necessarily carry all traffic, and there are networks where it won't be usable.

Totally agree. But IPSEC isn't simple enough for Not Enterprise use. I should know, part of my job is stress testing IPSEC gateways. It's a nightmare to figure out the configuration of each device, and most of the time the network admins don't know. Different vendors have different names for the same parameters, etc. And most of the time you still need a vendor's own client because it's such a pain in the rear end to setup natively in the OS it's just not worth the hassle. I have a Cisco, Check Point, Palo Alto and Fortinet VPN client on my PC right now, when Windows should be perfectly capable to do it. But noooo, Win 10 requires EAP, you see, but not MacOS, so I suppose IT just goes "gently caress it, let's install one more software through the AD."

I don't want to sound like I'm ranting against IPSEC, because I like the protocol a lot. But the RFC leaves too many things to interpretation/decision of whoever. I prefer tight protocols. I know that wasn't the goal of IPSEC (it needs to accommodate anything between "road warriors" to site-to-site to loving LTE data plane) but it's the goal of WireGuard so, in principle, I like it.

I do take your point about the white paper not having lots of citations etc, and you seem like you know your stuff so I'd like to hear more if possible.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Furism posted:

Totally agree. But IPSEC isn't simple enough for Not Enterprise use. I should know, part of my job is stress testing IPSEC gateways. It's a nightmare to figure out the configuration of each device, and most of the time the network admins don't know.

It’s my hope that something like algo can help change that by showing there’s a demand for it. I know it’s not directly solving your criticisms, but it’s a good step in removing the barrier to entry.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nam Taf posted:

It’s my hope that something like algo can help change that by showing there’s a demand for it. I know it’s not directly solving your criticisms, but it’s a good step in removing the barrier to entry.

Sweet, had never heard of this before. I'll look into it, thanks a lot!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/gN3mes1s/status/941315826107510784

:tif:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao that's an MS signed exe? So much for application whitelisting stopping that one

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what the gently caress

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao that's an MS signed exe? So much for application whitelisting stopping that one

Visio is signed too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

AppLocker enforcement of exe's has always been vulnerable to this, they're very explicit about it and that's why they let you do DLL enforcement as well. The trick will be if the dll injected is also signed which this is not showing. If you're not doing DLL enforcement then you need to add its code signature to the block list since you're probably allowing all MS-signed stuff by default.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AppLocker enforcement of exe's has always been vulnerable to this, they're very explicit about it and that's why they let you do DLL enforcement as well. The trick will be if the dll injected is also signed which this is not showing. If you're not doing DLL enforcement then you need to add its code signature to the block list since you're probably allowing all MS-signed stuff by default.

Yeah, we're using a third party as applocker is so minimal it's not a true whitelisting solution. And we do dll enforcement, although given the headache implementing it I would bet most people out there are not.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What functionality are you looking for that AppLocker doesn't provide?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stoppin' those viruses you said it would stop, doggone it! :bahgawd:

I need a :ceo: like :bahgawd: but in a suit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's a significant amount of functionality provided by software like Bit9/Carbon Black over something very minimal and lacking like Applocker: Much more granular policies, approvals based on signatures and much more detailed publisher approvals, trusted users and paths, auto approvals with Fireeye integration, detailed automated file discovery, the list goes on.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Approvals based on signatures are now available with Device Guard I think.. It's probably Enterprise only and Windows 10 only but I think it supports signature based whitelisting..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-security/device-guard/device-guard-deployment-guide

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AppLocker has supported signature-based approvals since day one so I have no idea what clam is talking about. Maybe he's thinking of its predecessor software restriction policies or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AppLocker has supported signature-based approvals since day one so I have no idea what clam is talking about. Maybe he's thinking of its predecessor software restriction policies or something.

I obviously could be, that's just been my understanding. Obviously you're very pro-Applocker, I'm not trying to poo poo on you or anything and it's weird you're referring to me in 3rd person like that, I've just have had an excellent experience with alternate solutions and Applocker isn't really considered sufficient for highly secure enterprises.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I obviously could be, that's just been my understanding. Obviously you're very pro-Applocker, I'm not trying to poo poo on you or anything and it's weird you're referring to me in 3rd person like that, I've just have had an excellent experience with alternate solutions and Applocker isn't really considered sufficient for highly secure enterprises.

There’s highly secure enterprises in Vancouver?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yes sir, I tend to be pretty private/vague when posting stuff about my work (or myself for that matter) publicly on SA, but yup.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

HSBC has their Canadian HQ there, and HSBC's most profitable clientele tends to demand discreet, effective security.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why would you make it easy to report fraud online? What is this, 2017 or something?!

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/942920896616034305

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Proteus Jones posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just got a no-warning forced update on windows 10 that gave me a "these updates are to protect you in an online world!" message on restart, i assume it's related to this debacle

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

andrew smash posted:

I just got a no-warning forced update on windows 10 that gave me a "these updates are to protect you in an online world!" message on restart, i assume it's related to this debacle

Don't worry. It'll just end up being more fuel for the fire.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

AppLocker has legitimate shortfalls with logging and monitoring that need to be compensated for with something like Splunk and I was genuinely asking what you were getting with the 3rd party stuff that may be helping with that. But some of what you claim AppLocker cannot do is objectively incorrect and is actually its primary function.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes sir, I tend to be pretty private/vague when posting stuff about my work (or myself for that matter) publicly on SA, but yup.

I just figured y'all were too stoned to bother with security. :shrug: Maybe after I study more security stuff I should move to Vancou then. Can I crash in your cardboard box?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I just figured y'all were too stoned to bother with security. :shrug: Maybe after I study more security stuff I should move to Vancou then. Can I crash in your cardboard box?

Man, is that actually a stereotype of Vancouver? That's terrible haha, I only know like one person in all my social circles who smokes the weed regularly. Yeah definitely, even though my closet's rent is only like $2k/mo, there's definitely a strong security scene there. We actually have a lot of trouble finding security-trained and experienced people for positions, like for a security-related job posting, we might get 20 applicants, not a single security cert or previous position. It's a buyer's market! For jobs, not for real estate.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

, like for a security-related job posting, we might get 20 applicants, not a single security cert or previous position. It's a buyer's market! For jobs, not for real estate.

Okay, serious questions time:

I'm completely self-trained on everything I know. I'm currently studying for Sec+, and then plan to get a couple courses from SANS. My only official experience in IT work is service desk. Once I have those SANS courses, how high up the list would that get me for an interview?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Okay, serious questions time:

I'm completely self-trained on everything I know. I'm currently studying for Sec+, and then plan to get a couple courses from SANS. My only official experience in IT work is service desk. Once I have those SANS courses, how high up the list would that get me for an interview?

Even though we recognize how insanely expensive it is, we really strongly value SANS training and I believe it's probably the best in the industry (again, that said, I totally understand how it's not possible for a lot of people to do due to the cost). So I recommend the following and would look on positively in an interview if you do:

Sec+
SANS, at least SEC 401 to kick off that training track
Home lab work, play with some security tools
Community interest, join a local user group (like google VanCitySec for ours), attend B-Sides, etc.

By doing that, you're above like 99% of candidates I interview for security stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Sweet. I'm really enjoying security stuff. Not "glamorous" stuff like pen testing or red teams, but setting up an environment that allows users to do what they need, no more, no less, while minimizing risk of data breeches. HIDS and NIDS and all that fun poo poo. It's something I'd like to get in to as my focus. Just don't know what aspect yet. Really appeals to my nit-picky nature.