Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Suxpool posted:

im not giving these chucklefucks 70 more dollars to start 2 days earlier

Well, it's a good deal since you get to start two days earlier a few dozen times because they will never actually release this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
oh hey this loving game again

What was the slack/discord/whatever we were using for this?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Burner phones only... Can't let anyone know u play this

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
is this game ever going to come out?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

is this game ever going to come out?

Maybe

forge
Feb 26, 2006

pixaal posted:

Well, it's a good deal since you get to start two days earlier a few dozen times because they will never actually release this.

I think I've gotten a 14 day head start.

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Why does anyone care about head start in the new beta after wipe when the Albion Online forums have been online this whole time...

*wink wink*

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Artifact weapons seem cool, gvg seems bad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FUKKEN posted:

Why does anyone care about head start in the new beta after wipe when the Albion Online forums have been online this whole time...

*wink wink*

Because the game itself has a really solid early game, that lasts about 3-4 days and you can squeeze maybe 2 weeks out of it as you push to the "fixed" mid game and pubbies still have gear you can steal and being stupid with it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

pixaal posted:

Because the game itself has a really solid early game, that lasts about 3-4 days and you can squeeze maybe 2 weeks out of it as you push to the "fixed" mid game and pubbies still have gear you can steal and being stupid with it.

Yeah all the fun happens in the first two weeks when the population is high, everybody actually values all the stuff they have, and people are still killable by newbies with 30 minutes of playtime and an easily made set of garbage tier gear. Getting a head start on that means you're in a prime position to poo poo all over people who don't.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
We should all just quit after two weeks. The game isn't worth playing after that amount of time, but is amazing until that point.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Whens the wipe after this wipe?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

as soon as I remember to take my metamucil

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

or, this might be the famed "no wipe after this wipe"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ruggan posted:

or, this might be the famed "no wipe after this wipe"

I don't believe this.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im getting a head start on quitting right now! :eng101:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The guild banks already been stolen and you don't even know it yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hmm

nah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

forge posted:

The guild banks already been stolen and you don't even know it yet.

i personally think its good to do and that we should let these people have control of our site and also the goon discord

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forge posted:

after two weeks.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i mean seriously

the fact that the thread title hasn't changed in over a year really says it all

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I mean... There was that one time in which that one thing happened, which was sort of not terrible. So the game has that going for it.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Ruggan and Forge nailed it. For about two weeks this is the best game ever made with the best tears. After that its not even worth pretending its playable.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Ruggan and Forge nailed it. For about two weeks this is the best game ever made with the best tears. After that its not even worth pretending its playable.

:agreed:

I play every reset for about a month and go hard but after that I pretty much stop playing until the next reset

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Yeah I agree except this part about it being good for two weeks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Comrayn posted:

Yeah I agree except this part about it being good for two weeks.

Bu then you're going to miss the radio and caravan music!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

"Albion Online - the grind is gone and it's a great game"

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Did this terrible game get any better or did I honestly spend £100 for a forum?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zethe posted:

Did this terrible game get any better or did I honestly spend £100 for a forum?

the latter

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I spent $30 on this and I am a supreme dumbass. I can't even imagine what you $100 people are like.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ruggan posted:

"Albion Online - the grind is gone and it's a great game"

i wish :smith:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
it's actually impossible to have a fun mmo without a grind and i don't think albion has a bad grind to fun ratio

what albion lacks altogether is an endgame, or even a midgame

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the whole game is supposed to be about empire building and conflict, etc. gvg is just kinda of tossed into this cause its moba like and thats what the kids like, right?? now theres also some landmass with a criminal system as well and i dont know why

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Suxpool posted:

it's actually impossible to have a fun mmo without a grind and i don't think albion has a bad grind to fun ratio

what albion lacks is cohesive vision.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

2DCAT posted:

what albion lacks is cohesive vision.

Exactly, and it doesnt show for about a week.
Like how the new sim city (2013?) is good for a few hours, then you realize it's broken and unsalvageable.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Suxpool posted:

the trick is to make the grind not seem like a grind

grind is a pointless chore but if you make it fun or towards a goal while its fun then its part of the game

like monster hunter for example, nobody feels like they're actually grinding for parts but they still hunt the same monster to get complete armor sets and weapons because its fun

and i would really have to say albion online has too many chefs spoiling the broth, berc strikes me as the guy who wants to please everyone at once and thats the problem

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

berc is an idiot

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Im looking forward to getting 100s of dollars of value yet again in August. This is the best pre order money can buy. Unless you haven't bought in, then don't.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Lastgirl posted:

the trick is to make the grind not seem like a grind

grind is a pointless chore but if you make it fun or towards a goal while its fun then its part of the game

like monster hunter for example, nobody feels like they're actually grinding for parts but they still hunt the same monster to get complete armor sets and weapons because its fun

and i would really have to say albion online has too many chefs spoiling the broth, berc strikes me as the guy who wants to please everyone at once and thats the problem

My impression is that the devs think they are some kind of game design prodigies destined to re-write the book on mmos. They just ignore all the knowledge the industry build up and think no one ever done it like them co's everyone is stupid and not because their naive, special snowflake ideas have been proven time and again not to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
From the changes they are doing, if they all go in. The state of the game is likely to be so different that it might not play at all the same as we expected from previous builds. I don't know if this will possibly be a good thing or bad. I also don't even know all of the changes because there are so many.

For instance will the timezone locked GvG be in. Basically, areas of the map will be time locked so that russians can't take zone by zone and change the times to be favorable to russian time. They will be locked into US prime permanently. Others to euro and rus/anzac. It's stuff like this that can completely change the way GvG and general ownership goes. Of course if there are also slews of russians without jobs, well there isn't anything we can do about that.

For farming areas, etc and non town areas there are no borders now. So they are not safe zones like they once were. You can hire guards for those areas which obviously will be horrible AI and not protect you against anyone but a solo player. There is some new tower mechanic where if people attack they have to build a tower and anyone can defend, not just 5 gvg junk. So if you defend that you never get entered into a GvG in the first place. This can only be done in the US prime time if we hold that.

So I don't know really. It's probably going to be a train wreck, but what type or how bad is unknown imo.

• Locked thread