Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hello, I'm here for some coffee, be an insensitive douche, and regale some random criminal and a child about my shithole of a life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Akechi talking about his mother is seriously one of the most :wtc: events in the entire Persona series. It's just so completely out of left field.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Akechi is so annoying. Dunk on him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Justice Rank 10 is Futaba giving Pleasant Boy a swirly and then stealing his lunch money.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aww, and you didn't even get to the best part! (Note: it is not the best part, and if Arist wanted to skip it entirely and just say "a fun time was had by all" and move on, I would not blame him in the slightest.)

At least the fireworks scene with Futaba is genuinely sweet, and we really need more scenes of that nature in this series, as far from the exploitation of young girls and girls in general as can be gotten. I also kinda like that bit with Akechi too, even if he was trying to garner sympathy in the most transparent way possible... but darn it, I still can't really talk about why, and won't be able to for some time. But I do still wanna kinda hug him and tousle his nice hair.

e: Goddamn it, ought to know better than posting whist watching the giant bomb endurance run at the same time... too much persona.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh, if I was the localizer, I'd probably rewrite the whole scene with Akechi to make it less like a transparent sympathy ploy that's out of the blue.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh, if I was the localizer, I'd probably rewrite the whole scene with Akechi to make it less like a transparent sympathy ploy that's out of the blue.

Ehh. It does a good job of getting across what he is really like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A simple "I'm used to it" in between two of those lines would have solved most of the problem, he just brings it up for no reason as is.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

resurgam40 posted:

I also kinda like that bit with Adachi too, even if he was trying to garner sympathy in the most transparent way possible... but darn it, I still can't really talk about why, and won't be able to for some time. But I do still wanna kinda hug him and tousle his nice hair.

I think you're thinking of the wrong game there. Unless Akechi is secretly Adachi in disguise as an 18 year old boy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Unless Akechi is secretly Adachi in disguise as an 18 year old boy.

Akechi didn't go full BITCHES N' WHORES mode when talking about his mother so we're in the clear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Akechi sips his coffee, studiously ignoring how the temperature in the cafe has plummeted by twenty degrees.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
That loving sweater vest.

Arist posted:

What is up with all the non-sequiturs, man? Is your brain a loving View-Master, just randomly switching from subject to subject as if by the whims of a small, impatient, easily bored child?
I think he's supposed to be doing the "dropping hints to show that he knows more than you think and make the criminal nervous" thing, but he's just really bad at it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Akechi is not nearly as cool as he thinks it is, I think its his biggest character trait.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pleasant Boy is working really hard to ensure that the rest of Maaku's family Hates The Cops as much as he does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HIJK posted:

Akechi is not nearly as cool as he thinks it is, I think its his biggest character trait.

On top of the dodgy translation making him sound kind of garbled (it fares really poorly with "formal" characters like Sae and Akechi), this is basically it. He's a boy trying to be a prim and proper adult and kind of loving it up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, everything he says makes perfect sense in the context provided? I don't know if this is the same sorta comic anger that sees ya mad that people wear beachwear to the beach but he's trying to fish for sympathy by trying to draw equivalence between himself and Orange there, by showing they were both orphans.

It's awkwardly put, but lol if ya playing a Japanimation game and you aren't used to that

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

people aren't mad that it's swim suits, they mad it's because it's sexy cheesecake shots of teenage girls - there is no excuse for a close up of Ann's rear end while she's adjusting her bottom or every single girl being in a skimpy bikini

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 2, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not about the swimsuits, it's the way it's shot and presented, in addition to Katsura Hashino being notoriously horny on main.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I understand why Akechi says what he says, there's just no transition at all and it comes apropos of basically nothing. It's comical.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 2, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Hello fellow children, I too am an orphan.
Now that we have something in common, let us bond by sharing our deepest secrets.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
On the other hand I do enjoy how Anne is okay with Ryuji's over-enthusiastic appreciation of her. Maybe it's inconsistent characterization or maybe she's more comfortable with the guys by this point in the story, but it takes an edge off the skeeviness. It's a nice change considering the reactions in persona 4's beach scene and camping trip.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AriadneThread posted:

Hello fellow children, I too am an orphan.
Now that we have something in common, let us bond by sharing our deepest secrets.

I sure do love committing crimes. How many crimes did you commit today? I committed...lots. Lots of crimes. Boy it sure is great to be a criminal. Why don't you tell me all about the crime you also commit? Please speak into this microphone-looking thing on my douchebag sweater vest.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Arist posted:

Fuckin’ Ryuji.

"These are Ryuji and Maaku. When at the beach, don't stare at the girls like the horn-dog teen Ryuji. Instead, be like Maaku."

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
obligatory reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6khcmGnss&t=189s

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Akechi being all "MY MOTHER DIED AND I'VE HAD A ROUGH LIFE, FEEL BAD FOR ME :qq:" completely out of the blue makes me think he has approximately zero real friends and he's desperately trying to make some.

I can't tell if that paints him as pathetic, stupid, or a sociopath.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kith posted:

How likely is it that Yusuke/Ryuji/neither of them would do the same? There's your answer.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Kith posted:

Akechi being all "MY MOTHER DIED AND I'VE HAD A ROUGH LIFE, FEEL BAD FOR ME :qq:" completely out of the blue makes me think he has approximately zero real friends and he's desperately trying to make some.

The closest we've seen to him hanging out with friends is when he's annoying Sae or annoying Maaku.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MightyPretenders posted:

The closest we've seen to him hanging out with friends is when he's annoying Sae or annoying Maaku.

Outside of TV interviews we only see him for about five minutes every month or two.

For all we know he's leading his own band of spunky crime solving high school students and we just haven't run into them.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Stroth posted:

Outside of TV interviews we only see him for about five minutes every month or two.

For all we know he's leading his own band of spunky crime solving high school students and we just haven't run into them.

The Ace Detectives-- just like the Phantom Thieves, except they wear argyle sweater vests instead of masks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stroth posted:

Naoto Shirogane watched his show once. Completely stone-faced throughout. Her coffee cup came within a hair of shattering in her hand.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Maaku and Yusuke's faces when Futaba walks in with her towel face are great.

I mean, they look dead.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I think you're thinking of the wrong game there. Unless Akechi is secretly Adachi in disguise as an 18 year old boy.

Beat me to it, but weren't they both referred to as "Young Detective" early in their respective games? Sure, Adachi was an actual police detective while Akechi is just seen as the second coming of Naoto, albeit only as a cheap knockoff, and the former should still be in jail at this time.

Also, yeah that sympathy play at Leblanc by him was pretty drat blatant but still seemed to come out of nowhere and makes him seem like he's trying way too hard.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nice outfit to be wearing during a heat wave Akechi.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Even without taking him being a pig into consideration, Akechi is a loving loser. The sweater is just the latest piece of evidence.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

:ssh: Put the twist behind spoiler bars please.

Funky Valentine posted:

Akechi didn't go full BITCHES N' WHORES mode when talking about his mother so we're in the clear.

See, that's what he wants returning players to think.

I still can't believe that the Persona 4 Golden localization actually swiped fsteak.
(for anyone that liked hiimdaisy/gigidigi go check out Cucumber Quest if you weren't aware already)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snorb posted:

The Ace Detectives-- just like the Phantom Thieves, except they wear argyle sweater vests instead of masks.

Ace Detectives? More like Ace Defectives, Stupei.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ace Detectives? More like Ace Defectives, Stupei.

Or like Dojima. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6gzqwqCb8E

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Please stop with the camera lingering on a view of the bare leg(s) of high school girls, thanks :cripes:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
How much of the intended audience of this game are teenagers though? If there's anything I know about teenagers, it's that teenagers are perfectly capable of being horny bastards. I'm not saying that sexualising teenagers isn't creepy from the perspective of an adult, but it makes enough sense to me to have "sexy teens" for the sake of appealing to teens.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Stephen9001 posted:

How much of the intended audience of this game are teenagers though? If there's anything I know about teenagers, it's that teenagers are perfectly capable of being horny bastards. I'm not saying that sexualising teenagers isn't creepy from the perspective of an adult, but it makes enough sense to me to have "sexy teens" for the sake of appealing to teens.

It may well be true that the intended audience are teenagers, but that doesn't stop it being weird and creepy when the definitely-not-teenage writers and animators are doing this sort of thing.