Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Once they finished with the parts actually written in books they seem to write by "wouldn't be cool if" and brainstorming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The night king is actually Bran from the futurepast

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Surprise twist, it was Ned all along.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What episodes / story took place that Jon did that big loop above winter east west?

recruiting for fighting ramsay i think

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it was the time when he was wandering around being ineffectual.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Oh yeah...

They should have just shown like one scene per season of the white walkers going to shrines and doing something that takes time to charge it up or something. Anything to explain why they haven't done stuff

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

cant they just build boats

??

They can build boats out of ice and straw that are stronger than wooden boats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
dany poops in the snow

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

whoflungpoop posted:

dany poops in the snow

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
so why didnt they just build boats and go around the wall

they had like one thousand years to do this

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

baw posted:

why didnt she just fly the dragon north, visually confirm the white walkers, and then fly away

instead of sending her most important potential ally to try and capture one on foot

my ability to suspend disbelief only goes so far and the last couple episodes are pushing it

They're getting a skellyman to convince Cersei, not Dany

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
NK teched metallurgy instead of sailing because he wanted a big rear end chain.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I hope the chain scythes some more people off the wall

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I wonder what HBO is gonna do once GoT is over? I'd be down for a Conan series that adapts most of the original Robert E. Howard stories. Seems like there'd be lots of cross-over appeal for GoT people - sorcerers, T&A, anachronistic quasi-historical settings, political intrigue, etc. Sure, Conan would have plot armor but everyone else is fair game. Hell, they could probably just re-use the GoT sets and shooting locations with some minor changes. You could probably get 3-4 seasons out of it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
GoT offshoots. They have no other wherewithal. The last time they went their own way we lost Rome and Deadwood for loving Jon from Cincinnati and other assorted dogshit

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

GoT offshoots. They have no other wherewithal. The last time they went their own way we lost Rome and Deadwood for loving Jon from Cincinnati and other assorted dogshit

Rome could have just been ongoing series this entire time without all this GoT nerd poo poo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I agree. HBO is lucky that they happened upon original programming first because compared to Netflix they loving sucks at it.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh yeah...

They should have just shown like one scene per season of the white walkers going to shrines and doing something that takes time to charge it up or something. Anything to explain why they haven't done stuff

We know they've been charging their jo crystals what do u think all the snow is

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wonder what HBO is gonna do once GoT is over? I'd be down for a Conan series that adapts most of the original Robert E. Howard stories. Seems like there'd be lots of cross-over appeal for GoT people - sorcerers, T&A, anachronistic quasi-historical settings, political intrigue, etc. Sure, Conan would have plot armor but everyone else is fair game. Hell, they could probably just re-use the GoT sets and shooting locations with some minor changes. You could probably get 3-4 seasons out of it.

God this would rule

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I would be so down for a Conan series. Hell, get Jason Momoa to play Conan, he was the only good part of that garbage movie they made five years back or whenever.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm tentatively hopeful that the WoT series apparently in the works won't suck poo poo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol just lol.

[Elmira the proto feminist witchy warlock sashays to HBOs Conan and beats him in arm wrestling]

Conan: looks like I'm merely the strongest man.

[Gets rid of all the horrifically dated racist as hell setting and turns into a lukewarm generic fantasy turd]

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did they actually get the WoT rights away from whatever company did that garbage "we're totally planning to make a show, nudge nudge wink wink" pilot episode a while back? It could make for a good series if pruned extremely heavily and given a good budget.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
WoT?

Please dont expect all us nerds to understand all nerd references

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Wheel of Time. Massively overlong fantasy series from the guy who was american tolkien before grrm. Much like grrm he also died before finishing his books.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I guess we just hope Westworld has a really good second season and doesn't poo poo the bed like True Detective did...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

LanceHunter posted:

I guess we just hope Westworld has a really good second season and doesn't poo poo the bed like True Detective did...

I thought Fargo season 3 was even worse than True Detective 2 or whatever it was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True Detective was such a dip in quality. Like horrible.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
only argument I see against TD season 2 is "muh nihilist monologues", it was pretty decent story on it's own right.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bloom posted:

Did they actually get the WoT rights away from whatever company did that garbage "we're totally planning to make a show, nudge nudge wink wink" pilot episode a while back? It could make for a good series if pruned extremely heavily and given a good budget.

Yeah they did, Sony Pictures has it now as of April and they've hired a show runner (forgot who though).

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 18, 2017

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nebelwerfer posted:

only argument I see against TD season 2 is "muh nihilist monologues", it was pretty decent story on it's own right.

The plot, on a mechanical level, was good. But the characters were so ridiculously off and cartoonish. Like, Rachel McAdams's character was like a cartoon of a childhood sexual assault survivor (She carries knives with her all the time and constantly practices fighting, decades later! She has weird violent sex with random men! She gives monologues about how no man would be able to live in a world where they knew that >50% of the population could overpower them!)

It probably could have been a good season if Nic Pizzolatto hadn't had to crank out the whole thing in one year, but it was definitely under-baked.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everything on every level was worse about True Detective season 2. From actors to plot to cinematography to editing and pacing and EVERYTHING

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Glenn Quebec posted:

i want an entire series about a cock merchant

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was kind of hoping Benjen had a bigger strat than "Flail with a flail and die" like maybe "ignite himself in ghostman fire" or "get on the horse too"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
we aint got time for benjen just kill him off!!! Kill him off tim!
- a writer balls deep into his ladyboy hooker

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
At least have Ben say something along the lines of "The horse won't carry us both fast enough". Sure people would sperg about the carrying capacity of horses, but it would show at least a tiny bit of effort was made.

But nope. "There's no time", writes the writer before checking off another name from his list.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

baw posted:

i want an entire series about a cock merchant

I already said Jon from Cincinnati

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

bloom posted:

At least have Ben say something along the lines of "The horse won't carry us both fast enough". Sure people would sperg about the carrying capacity of horses, but it would show at least a tiny bit of effort was made.

But nope. "There's no time", writes the writer before checking off another name from his list.
Maybe Benjen is just really bad at getting on horses. Like it takes him 30 minutes or something because he keeps falling down.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Zzulu posted:

Ever since I made my peace with the idea that all they're trying to do this season is sweep up 'extraneous' plot points (to the story they want to tell), I've been enjoying the show a lot more. Also avoiding the TVIV thread helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zzulu posted:

"These writers suck and are just doing fan-fiction now"

- A book fan who hates the fact that the show has spoiled how Hodor became Hodor (and how he will die), the fact that Coldhands is Benjan Stark (and how he will die), how the Night King gets a dragon, and a dozen other plot points that are obviously in GRRM's outline and will be in the upcoming books.

Like, the book fans who have gotten angry at the show and decided that what is happening there isn't "really" was will happen are gonna be awfully pissed off once the next book comes out.