Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Witeldram posted:

Lol @ the person in the press conference asking if they were gonna try recovering their bodies

i'm getting the bucket and net attachment arm for the sub ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wet_goods posted:

Tbh I’m impressed they found it as fast as they did

yeah, I figured it would be hard to find it with the existing Titanic debris field

but the ocean floor in front of the bow of the Titanic is clean, and the debris field is shaped like a long comet behind it

also speaks to how much tech has improved between "looking for the Titanic in 1986" and "looking for the small imploded bits of a lovely sub in 2023"

edit:

Cosmik Debris posted:

idk. I prolly would have done the same thing, but the sub was 1600 ft from the titanic. That's the "first place anybody should have looked" insofar as its the most likely place for it to be.
also that, good point

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 22, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Slotducks posted:

there's something so hosed about spending so much on resources for search and recovery and forensics on a group of cocky idiots who openly flaunted safety regulations as if it was a challenge.

Somebody made the point that there is value in the Coast Guard, Navy, etc. going through the process to conduct a mission like this just to make sure they all had their poo poo together. They do training, but there is no substitute for the real deal.

Hopefully this helped prepare them for other, more valuable rescue efforts in the future.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Wee posted:

Said it isn't connected. That it occurred in a different location.

It was crabs ringing the dinner bell

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Slotducks posted:

there's something so hosed about spending so much on resources for search and recovery and forensics on a group of cocky idiots who openly flaunted safety regulations as if it was a challenge.

think of it as the US Navy taking the opportunity to do a practice run for when China loses a critical part of miltech in the deep ocean, or Biden drops the nuclear football off the side of a destroyer.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The press really wanted there to be a story about the delay in rescue efforts causing their deaths.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Why does he keep saying "It definitely catastrophically imploded which would be picked up by our receivers. No, we didn't hear any catastrpphic implosions on our receivers." ? Did I miss something?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

drunkill posted:

Some engineering professor is writing a second edition copy of his workbook right now to include this sub and the failures of it, including ignoring regulatory compliance and ethics etc. as a cautionary tale for students.

And he's about to try and get it to print and on the syllabus before next semester.

Yep. Itll be challenger explosion, voltswagon emission scandal, and now this

Oh yeha, and tacoma narrows bridge

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Axel Serenity posted:

bro what bodies

If five nachos stick together that counts as one nacho

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Hazo posted:

Why does he keep saying "It definitely catastrophically imploded which would be picked up by our receivers. No, we didn't hear any catastrpphic implosions on our receivers." ? Did I miss something?

As in it happened before they were on scene with listening devices. It very likely happened when communications blipped on day one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ocean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILdt4ZXu6fQ

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kwolok posted:

Shame that dipshit didn't install a black box on board, would love to hear their last moments.

Why don’t they make the sub out of the black box? :jerry:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Hazo posted:

He means it imploded before they started searching.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Squiggle posted:

If five nachos stick together that counts as one nacho

And trust me, these nachos? FULLY loaded

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Still nothing conclusive though. There could be survivors in the debris field.

Reports several crabs dodged the debris.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Why don’t they make the sub out of the black box? :jerry:

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Hazo posted:

absence of evidence is not evidence of … bleh

pretty sure the us has the ocean mic’d up so hard they can detect if someone farts inland but they’d never use it for this

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Definite "Welp, interesting diversion but we're done." vibes by the end of that press conference.

'No more press conferences, we'll update on twitter maybe?':shrug:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Next reporter asking “OK BUT CAN WE RECOVER THE BODIES??” needs a can of Campbell’s Chunky thrown at their head.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Metaline posted:

He means it imploded before they started searching.

Oh I gotcha, so he was heading off the dipshits who wanted the story to be about delays/poor execution of the search causing the deaths of the Job Creators.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

:craboot:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hazo posted:

He’s saying it imploded before the coastguard was notified, to expel that they were down there and imploded while the search was underway.

Edit: beaten to it.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hazo posted:

He also said they had only had sensors in the water for 72hours, which I assumed implied it had imploded days ago.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well at least a bunch of naval rescue folks got some official training hours out of this whole thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm hearing that the son didn't even want to go but did it for Father's Day. I don't know if this was covered yet or not, but yikes. The kid is the only one of the five I have much sympathy for.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

hemale in pain posted:

i'm getting the bucket and net attachment arm for the sub ready

Just get Victor 6000 to grab some skeletons from the Titanic. Who’s gonna know?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Deptfordx posted:

Definite "Welp, interesting diversion but we're done." vibes by the end of that press conference.

They said they're going to keep mapping the debris field, I imagine there will be updates as that goes. Probably pics.
There just likely won't be much to say for a while until it's all stitched together and analyzed.

If you'll look to your left you'll see what's left of a logitech controller analog stick very clearly sticking in the muck there.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Implosion event, not an explosive decompression event.

Imagine 50 SourKraut av's on the edge of an underengineered sub.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
If they find the Logitech controller the marketing for their next iteration nearly writes itself

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Archonex posted:

Now we wait for the conspiracy theorists to start screaming about the banging noises being proof of a cover up and/or blaming woke minorities and deliberately ignoring understanding what happens when something implodes.

the CEO found information on the titanic that would have led to the arrest of hillary clinton

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I assume this is already been posted here, but this thread moves fast.

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1671928642094473216?s=46

Of course.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Someone ChatGPT an Alex Jones style telling of what really went down with the Titan submersible and crew so we can compare its accuracy against the actual future Infowars broadcast.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Hazo posted:

probably happened when they lost contact

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so they died like they lived: feeling absolutely nothing at all

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
The captain of the surface boat probably had his feet up on the steering wheel, flipping through a playboy, when the comm chatter went out, followed by a bubble rising out of the ocean like a fart in a bathtub, he shrugs and his gaze lowers back to his titty mag

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Drone_Fragger posted:

Imploded. Rip. This is why no one uses carbon fibre hulls becsuse its incredibly reckless. With any luck the guy who got fired over raising these concerns years ago is vindicated by this and wins his wrongful termination suit.

I don't think there'll be any money left to pay him after the families of the billionaires have settled their lawsuits.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm hearing that the son didn't even want to go but did it for Father's Day. I don't know if this was covered yet or not, but yikes. The kid is the only one of the five I have much sympathy for.

Found that here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/missing-titanic-submersible-live-updates-rcna90538

Yeah, big yikes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

Why would they need to have more press conferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Bobcats posted:

absence of evidence is not evidence of … bleh

pretty sure the us has the ocean mic’d up so hard they can detect if someone farts inland but they’d never use it for this

I mean sort of but also sound starts bouncing around strangely once you factor in pressure and thermoclines. If there were any sensors that might have normally picked it up, they may have missed it because the sound got refracted away.