Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

My first time through I sure wasn't taking notes and after a certain point realized it would have been wise ended up spending hours revisiting nearly everywhere writing notes and trying to put it all together.

Yeah I wish I'd done that. I basically gave up at that point and followed a walkthrough for the rest of the game because I didn't want to backtrack everywhere. Which is a real shame, in hindsight.

La Mulana 2 was a lot more fun cause I knew what I was getting into, I did lots of note taking and even a drat Excel spreadsheet for the maps. These games are so drat satisfying when you figure things out on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
yeah. i've been over-relying on the hint based guide. I'll probably end up not finishing the game , I love it, but I got too attached to the guide and that's weakened the feel a bit, even if i have no idea how i would have figured out some of this poo poo otherwise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if I ever actually sit down and play LM2 i was thinking i'd screenshot everything interesting (so, everything :v:) into some kind of image organizer that lets me apply any number of searchable tags. like an Access db or something except less cursed

anyone have suggestions for suitable software? was sorta hoping the steam client's own screenshot tool would let me search like that but afaict there's no search at all, just filtering by game and visibility :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

followup: turns out OneNote is free and automatically OCRs screenshots

probably oughta put maps in there, too, huh. cripes there's a lot of zones already

(e) actual question, does anything about the game potentially necessitate rolling back such that i'd actually want to bother with multiple saves as i play

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I habitually roll my saves through slots and am struggling to think of any time I actually wanted to load an older save on purpose. There's at least nothing egregiously missable like the whip upgrades in the first game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's one instance where having a backup save might be helpful (mild gameplay spoiler: you might get locked into a certain area and forced to beat it so you can leave). I didn't personally have trouble with that but I can see how it might be annoying if you get there too early and overwrite your save.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Elman posted:

There's one instance where having a backup save might be helpful (mild gameplay spoiler: you might get locked into a certain area and forced to beat it so you can leave). I didn't personally have trouble with that but I can see how it might be annoying if you get there too early and overwrite your save.

I vaguely recall a patch changing this, assuming you're talking about the Hall of Malice. The ladder leading up to the cog room doesn't appear now until you've accessed the cog room from the Heaven's Labyrinth side, meaning you should always be able to back out that way. However, I haven't actually checked, I just have a poorly remembered memory that they fixed this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait i thought jormungand was a snake

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hmm, I think I need a small prod in the right direction - working on spawning the ankh for Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum. I've found the boss room (clever puzzles in the room preceding, I thought - plural intentional), and met Ra the once. I didn't see which way they went after that as I was distracted, and can't find him again, which I'm pretty sure I gotta do at least once more to get the ankh to show up.

When I first came into the zone via Gate of the Dead, I realized I hadn't scanned the seal on the door to DSLM before I solved that puzzle, and it had disappeared; did that have useful info on it related to the ankh, or have I missed / forgotten something else, maybe? Either way I'm itching to beat 'em up, as that'll be my fifth boss and I got more exploring to do

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Hmm, I think I need a small prod in the right direction - working on spawning the ankh for Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum. I've found the boss room (clever puzzles in the room preceding, I thought - plural intentional), and met Ra the once. I didn't see which way they went after that as I was distracted, and can't find him again, which I'm pretty sure I gotta do at least once more to get the ankh to show up.

Hint: You've probably already visited the location(s) Ra moves to before, but you're overlooking them now on the assumption you've done everything you can there.

Bigger Hint: Perhaps there are some people you haven't spoken to in a while that can help.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 7, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awh poo poo, soon as i read the Hint I realized where he'd gone - right back thru the formerly sealed door to one of the NPC rooms in Gate of the Dead, to, uh, get more fusion juice. Thank you for that - got the ankh spawned now, and I got a crystal & some spears to show the boss... after work :cry:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 7, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also the "extremely obvious" kill trap in HL had me fuckin rolling. LM1 knowledge came in, uh, handy :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

also the "extremely obvious" kill trap in HL had me fuckin rolling. LM1 knowledge came in, uh, handy :v:

Yeah, when that one got me, I laughed so hard. I couldn't even be mad, it was perfectly played.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
That one and the double death trap in the Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum elevator were the traps that had me laughing the hardest in LM2.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was literally about to post about that, but for me it was a triple instakill wombo-loving-combo instead and it just got funnier every time

Turns out, in space ya kiiiinda need a suit. Go figure :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nearly finished with the game, just practicing the final boss, so here have a repost of my stream of thoughts about it

taking detailed notes was something i was sure i'd find tedious, but it turned out to be pretty satisfying in and of itself - especially when notes across like six pages of the notebook all came together to explain some particularly obtuse bullshit (eat my rear end, brahma puzzle. and you too, ratatoskr)

that said, probably would not have been as pleasant an experience if onenote didn't OCR all the tablets and what not. that made it easy & fast to cross-reference key words as long as i kept it all organized

across the whole game i was waiting for puzzles that were completely inexplicable when i solved them, but only ran into like two or three out of dozens that i had to look up - and i may simply have missed some tablets. besides that i solved almost every dang puzzle in the game without resorting to a guide; i was expecting much more lucasarts adventure game bullshit puzzles. pretty cool that all the answers are there somewhere, i feel

i'd swear the devs had a fetish for instakill traps. a little frustrating at times, but they're almost all well signposted. no guarantee you'd see the signposts or interpret them right, but still. also a few of them were actually kinda amusing; two in particular were actually laugh-out-loud funny (see previous posts). going by the thread though not everyone seemed to think so, and I sure can't blame em

combat was usually tolerable at best, but there's a few minibosses & a couple of bosses that just sucked rear end to fight (Surtr and Echidna - and I gather Surtr used to be much, much worse); it was never what i'd call particularly fun gameplay. that said most of them have really neat designs & arenas as well as great music, which to me makes up for a lot; and at least you can, with enough cash, just loving shoot the annoying ones indiana jones style

speaking of whom the writing on the crystal skulls was a good laugh - though most of the rest of the game's writing varied widely from sort-of-witty to dry to extremely cringe (just shut the gently caress up xelpud)

overall i loved the game, despite the iffy combat. now i think about it, a lot of that love was the same sort of enjoyment i got out of outer wilds: discovering over time how the game world works, and being impressed at how internally consistent it all was, from map design to puzzle solutions to the story & lore from reading, the environments, and the stuff you collect. just this time i had to take my own notes instead of the weirdly-intelligent Ship Log doing it for me :v:

(dunno if i want to even try tower of oannes, though - if it's anything even remotely like it was in LM1 or the remake it'd snap my patience like a twig and retroactively ruin the entire experience)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 11, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

(dunno if i want to even try tower of oannes, though - if it's anything even remotely like it was in LM1 or the remake it'd snap my patience like a twig and retroactively ruin the entire experience)

Tower of Oannes is nowhere near the difficulty of Hell Temple from the first game. It does have its fair share of rear end in a top hat platforming, but it's a milder experience overall. It does have more of those instant death traps, though, and they're much less telegraphed... (although some of them are pretty funny)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Tower of Oannes is nowhere near the difficulty of Hell Temple from the first game. It does have its fair share of rear end in a top hat platforming, but it's a milder experience overall. It does have more of those instant death traps, though, and they're much less telegraphed... (although some of them are pretty funny)
that's a relief. i actually don't mind the difficult platforming - hundreds of Celeste hours talking i guess; but while i didn't get as far as the medicine puzzle in HT I would have been seriously irritated if i had. that was total bs to inflict on anyone

by the way since you're here,

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I vaguely recall a patch changing this, assuming you're talking about the Hall of Malice. The ladder leading up to the cog room doesn't appear now until you've accessed the cog room from the Heaven's Labyrinth side, meaning you should always be able to back out that way. However, I haven't actually checked, I just have a poorly remembered memory that they fixed this.
this was correct, i wasn't locked in because i couldn't activate that without the escape ladder already being there, as you said

i feel like i dodged a lethal bullet though, when i got past the gates puzzle in the Prisons Eternal; i saved on my one file before talking to Hel, and i think that if i had told her to put up her dukes, carked it, then saved again (which i could well have done on thoughtless instinct, by then), i'd be locked into fighting her as i was - no healing, no grail, no loving feather. is that right?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It was possible to get stuck in that state at one point, but I think that's another thing they patched out. It's been too long to remember exactly, but I think one of the gates further up in that section of hell still leads outside even after summoning the ankh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

last boss is still handing me my own rear end. If i want to bring the subweapon spring buff, and i get it with the 5-minutes app combo, can I switch apps or will i lose time on the buff?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I would assume you lose the benefit but have never tried.

Do you have all the life orbs? The Nemean Fur? App combos like extended invincibilty duration and increased weapon damage are surprisingly powerful too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i got app combos going, yeah; pretty sure it's just a case of practice & execution

just in case tho here's my current state. if you got other combo suggestions I'm all ears

Inventory

Set 2, extended iframes on hit & whip damage is what i use most of the fight (Set 1 is all exploration crap)

Set 3, axe dmg instead of whip plus reduced laser beam damage, specifically for phase 3

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Looks good! You can either learn the patterns and execute or grind out a bunch of gold there's a really good room with 9 pots to the left of the secret center room in icefire to spam gun.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Gun's way overkill, bracelet + rolling shuriken takes the whole row down

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally did the deed with 6 hp to spare. Just had to be less conservative with gun. Got out at 53h45m; I was sure it was going to reach 100 but I never got completely confused and lost like i thought i would.

while wandering by Bifrost trying to remember where the flying hell the escape exit was, a ladder came down leading only to a door i couldn't enter because of said escape. hmmmmmmmm, i say. maybe after a break, that boss fight stressed me out lol

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

while wandering by Bifrost trying to remember where the flying hell the escape exit was, a ladder came down leading only to a door i couldn't enter because of said escape. hmmmmmmmm, i say. maybe after a break, that boss fight stressed me out lol

That door is the start of the trail to the Tower of Oannes, you need to have the world be in endgame mode but not escaping to go in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That door is the start of the trail to the Tower of Oannes, you need to have the world be in endgame mode but not escaping to go in.

yeah that seemed pretty clear, i was insufficiently sarcastic :v:

speaking of endgame mode, that music kicked so much rear end. for me the initial beat drop hit right as i changed rooms and saw the background for the first time and i just had to sit & listen for a minute

:rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9wJAxs9QEQ :rock:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Here's something interesting from fellow goon and gamedev Hempuli:
https://twitter.com/ESAdevlog/status/1552230845418799104

There is tons of commentary but it really needs a proper translation as so much is lost through Google Translate.

edit: suddenly this enemy in 2 makes a lot more sense
https://i.imgur.com/9JSQkh3.mp4

Swilo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 29, 2022

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1570628319720378368

yo WHAT

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9fV7zqEt4
We may be getting a Maze of Galious remake, from NIGORO and with support from Konami.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lads are also porting rose and camellia to switch. Nigoro stay winning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8it7DOACw

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey they even had a little mini demo thing, using some la mulana assets (timestamped, but the whole stream has some various production assets shown off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIVU42xv4g&t=3979s

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat that's super cool. Not surprised they'd win given they've spent like a decade making tributes to that game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

incredible

if you don't know, naramura made a tileset for the maze of galious fan remake a long time ago too

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 17, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That's almost heartwarming. Must feel great to make tributes to an old game you're passionate about and then get put in charge of an actual sequel.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I spent all weekend playing maze of galious, it's a fun game. If anyone else is interested in checking it out, here's my advice: don't actually use that PC remake, it's a buggy, crashy mess and runs at 50 hz because that's how the people who made it played it as kids.

If you want to play a nicer version of the game, maybe with bats that are visible, try this impressive MSX2 enhancement of the original instead https://github.com/bladeba/MSX/tree/master/Enhanced%20Games/Galious%20-%20enhanced. One particularly nice feature is that it puts the item descriptions from the manual into the game on the inventory screen.

Just one tip: maze of galious's passwords can contain both O's and zeroes and there's only a tiny difference between them. Unfortunately the enhanced ver didn't do anything to make them easier to tell apart.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I bought this game when it first came out but shelved it until I could beat the original. Well I'm playing it now and it's pretty neat, though most of this post is going to be venting.

I finished the original earlier this year, though not without caving and using a guide, so for the sequel I thought I'd try to get as far as I could on my own power, relying exclusively on in-game hints and my own scattered notes. You can only experience a game like this for the first time once, after all. Anyway, it's actually been quite the trip. I'm about halfway through, I think? I've taken down five bosses, half the items, half the mantras. The Gate of the Dead stumped me for a bit, but once I realized you had to use the the pepper shaker, I started cruising. We're talking back-to-back eureka moments, realizing work I'd did earlier was paying off now, culminating in beating two different bosses one day apart.

But now I'm stuck again, and it's honestly starting to drive me up the wall. My current bottleneck is figuring out how to trigger Jormungand's boss fight. I've found the golden key and restarted the ring of water (assuming by ring they mean the waterfalls connecting the upper and lower pools, but no altar has appeared. Every other puzzle I've run into (outside of saving money for a few expensive items) seems to require an item I can't obtain without breaking through this obstacle (Mjolnir, the Feather, the Lamp of Time). Last time I was stuck, I still had a few avenues of exploration, so I was able to put the game down and return to it later, but everywhere I go seems to blockade me now, and the desire to look up a solution is festering in my mind...made worse by the suspicion that I'm missing something simple, and looking up the answer will just make me feel stupid (as opposed to righteous indignation, "How on Earth was I supposed to know that!?").

I'm not asking for help, I still want to try and clear it on my own, but nobody else in my friends group plays this, so this is my only outlet for venting my frustration. Anyway, other than this bit where it's stubbornly denying all my attempts at progress, I like the game a lot and I'd gladly subject myself to this nonsense again.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bad Seafood posted:

So I bought this game when it first came out but shelved it until I could beat the original. Well I'm playing it now and it's pretty neat, though most of this post is going to be venting.

I finished the original earlier this year, though not without caving and using a guide, so for the sequel I thought I'd try to get as far as I could on my own power, relying exclusively on in-game hints and my own scattered notes. You can only experience a game like this for the first time once, after all. Anyway, it's actually been quite the trip. I'm about halfway through, I think? I've taken down five bosses, half the items, half the mantras. The Gate of the Dead stumped me for a bit, but once I realized you had to use the the pepper shaker, I started cruising. We're talking back-to-back eureka moments, realizing work I'd did earlier was paying off now, culminating in beating two different bosses one day apart.

But now I'm stuck again, and it's honestly starting to drive me up the wall. My current bottleneck is figuring out how to trigger Jormungand's boss fight. I've found the golden key and restarted the ring of water (assuming by ring they mean the waterfalls connecting the upper and lower pools, but no altar has appeared. Every other puzzle I've run into (outside of saving money for a few expensive items) seems to require an item I can't obtain without breaking through this obstacle (Mjolnir, the Feather, the Lamp of Time). Last time I was stuck, I still had a few avenues of exploration, so I was able to put the game down and return to it later, but everywhere I go seems to blockade me now, and the desire to look up a solution is festering in my mind...made worse by the suspicion that I'm missing something simple, and looking up the answer will just make me feel stupid (as opposed to righteous indignation, "How on Earth was I supposed to know that!?").

I'm not asking for help, I still want to try and clear it on my own, but nobody else in my friends group plays this, so this is my only outlet for venting my frustration. Anyway, other than this bit where it's stubbornly denying all my attempts at progress, I like the game a lot and I'd gladly subject myself to this nonsense again.

Without giving anything away I’m pretty sure almost everybody hit the wall at this exact spot and you are 100% not alone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It legitimately helps to hear that, thank you.

Might just need to put the game down for a bit. My search for what to do's taken me farther and farther afield, coming up against even more puzzles I could solve if only I could solve this one. Last time I just took a break, cleared my mind, and came back a few months later and broke through the wall.

But it does a lot to ease my frustration to know other people have gotten stuck here too. I've been berating myself the whole time under the assumption I was missing something simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

It legitimately helps to hear that, thank you.

Might just need to put the game down for a bit. My search for what to do's taken me farther and farther afield, coming up against even more puzzles I could solve if only I could solve this one. Last time I just took a break, cleared my mind, and came back a few months later and broke through the wall.

But it does a lot to ease my frustration to know other people have gotten stuck here too. I've been berating myself the whole time under the assumption I was missing something simple.
Responding to myself months later (and like 20+ in-game hours) to say this one broke me; I looked up the solution, and now I'm legitimately mad (at both myself and the game).

In retrospect, that out-of-place statue should have warranted closer inspection, if only because it's a weird, random decoration, and the Buried Fortress being inaccessible until you flood the Battlefield should have also been a hint, but I got so fixated on thinking I needed to use the Pochette Key somewhere to unlock the boss (which pretty much every single hint funnels you towards thinking), that I don't think I ever would have stumbled upon a solution that (it turns out) has literally nothing to do with the Pochette Key. Is there even a single hint that connects the dinosaur statue to awakening Jormungand?

Playing the first game likely worked against me as well, since you do need to use the Pochette Key in the field (as well as on the boss), and it's explicitly the same item recycled.

I still really like this game on the whole but that bit of misdirection just seriously soured me on it. I can at least take some solace that I wasn't "Missing something simple," at least not in the way I was worried.