Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Just put something up on uship after HaulBikes gave me a quote for about 1,600, which seems excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this is some bullshit. Called my insurance company to renew my policy and they said they can't do it. "Cannot insure an operator of a motorcycle licensed less than six years." When I asked the guy why I was able to get the policy in the first place, he straight-up didn't know.

So now I'm going to be looking for a new broker in loving Ontario. Any ON Goons got good leads?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mister Speaker posted:

Well this is some bullshit. Called my insurance company to renew my policy and they said they can't do it. "Cannot insure an operator of a motorcycle licensed less than six years." When I asked the guy why I was able to get the policy in the first place, he straight-up didn't know.

So now I'm going to be looking for a new broker in loving Ontario. Any ON Goons got good leads?

lol yeah that was the sort of horseshit i had to deal with too. I called the same company that insured my car and they were like "we don't insure that model of motorcycle." I said but it's old and slow, and I don't even need coverage for the bike, just liability? And they replied that they didn't insure any motorcycle earlier than 1980, full stop, and I would have to try one of the only three companies that did, here they are (but it's NOT a racket!).

One specialized in "classic" bikes and had some absurd limit like 1500km/yr because you were only supposed to be taking it to shows
One would only insure that model of bike if I lived in Quebec, for some reason, despite operating in Ontario
The last was Allstate, who charged me $1800 a year for liability and didn't even have the option for collision coverage, but I had no choice :thumbsup:

e: haven't lived in ontario in more than 10 years but I guess Allstate or Desjardins, I think it was

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm insured with The Personal currently, they had no issue insuring me as a new rider. Do you have the motorcycle safety course done? What class of license do you have? All the companies I talked to flat out refused to insure me until I had the course done, and that's apparently a pretty common answer across Ontario.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I think one of the underwriters recently stopped insuring new-ish riders, I seem to remember reading something about that on one of the GTA motorcycle forums. I use ridersplus.com — don’t know how good they are, but of all the ones I called they were able to give me the best rate.

They’re the broker, I mean — my actual policy is through Echelon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I've got mine in AB through Intact, it looks like they operate in ON but no idea what their rates are like out there.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Phy posted:

Then I started seeing the occasional Freeman-on-the-land no-license-plate jackass, and gently caress exposing myself to vehicular homicide from one of thems

Surely they would be the last people to impede your right to travel!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The only advantage of being an old guy who's been riding forever is that my insurance is relatively cheap. I just checked and full coverage on a RSV4 Factory is $1525 and liability only is $165 which is acceptable. I think my current policy for the MV and the KTM is like 600+.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks guys, I appreciate the recommendations. For a supersport I was actually getting a pretty decent rate with Aviva ($2160 annually I think, which is still highway robbery but not nearly as bad as I expected). I don't doubt I can find someone who will insure it but I'm worried about it being way way more. gently caress, the first companies I called quoted me five figures.

Jcam posted:

I'm insured with The Personal currently, they had no issue insuring me as a new rider. Do you have the motorcycle safety course done? What class of license do you have? All the companies I talked to flat out refused to insure me until I had the course done, and that's apparently a pretty common answer across Ontario.

Yeah, I took RTI's safety course that also gets you your M2 license. To make a long story short (because I know I've told this story multiple times in the bike threads) it's only my first bike on paper, I've had two bikes but my M2 license lapsed when my second bike got stolen ten years ago, and I didn't have a bike to lock into the full M license. That's more than enough time for my records to be expunged so yeah, technically 'new rider' even though I'm in my 30s with a few years of experience (M2 license). Turns out age alone doesn't count for much, but I hope I can find a rate comparable to my old one. Thanks again.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 3, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I used Dalton Timmis for my bike insurance, they're pretty helpful. The actual policy was underwritten by Aviva. The other option is State Farm. They were the go-to insurer back in the day for bikes, as long as you didn't have a high displacement bike, since they based their coverage on cc's mainly (as in, male, 25, living in Mississauga, renting, is going to pay less for a 600 anything than a similar male with a 1200 anything, regardless of the style of bike). Whether that's still the case with them, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the recommendations. For a supersport I was actually getting a pretty decent rate with Aviva ($2160 annually I think, which is still highway robbery but not nearly as bad as I expected). I don't doubt I can find someone who will insure it but I'm worried about it being way way more. gently caress, the first companies I called quoted me five figures.

Yeah, I took RTI's safety course that also gets you your M2 license. To make a long story short (because I know I've told this story multiple times in the bike threads) it's only my first bike on paper, I've had two bikes but my M2 license lapsed when my second bike got stolen ten years ago, and I didn't have a bike to lock into the full M license. That's more than enough time for my records to be expunged so yeah, technically 'new rider' even though I'm in my 30s with a few years of experience (M2 license). Turns out age alone doesn't count for much, but I hope I can find a rate comparable to my old one. Thanks again.

That's ridiculous then, I only just got my M2 after finishing the RTI course two weeks ago and they insured me without any hesitation. I'm 31 and got my M1 in February.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

Mister Speaker posted:

For a supersport I was actually getting a pretty decent rate with Aviva

I'm in Ontario, I've been with Mantha Insurance for a long time, and they're a broker for Aviva. No complaints really, they had a booth at the Bike Show at the International Center (by Pearson) and they billed themselves as an insurance company for powersports/motorcycles, and they've been quick to respond anytime I got in touch (a couple of times issuing temp slips the same day). I was certainly insured with Aviva at less than 6 years experience, so this must be a new(ish) policy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Just got my bill from Ducati and they.. don't let you pay online? What is this, 1998? Man they really are the Italian Harley Davidson.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There’s probably IML rules on how much money you can transfer in a single day.

You see, it’s a joke about high dealership costs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

Just got my bill from Ducati and they.. don't let you pay online? What is this, 1998? Man they really are the Italian Harley Davidson.

Banks and credit unions should offer to send out mailed bills for you for a modest fee. Heck maybe some do, that's usually the case with those "why doesn't anyone..." thoughts

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Banks and credit unions should offer to send out mailed bills for you for a modest fee. Heck maybe some do, that's usually the case with those "why doesn't anyone..." thoughts
They do. I've seen physical autopay checks come from banks. I believe Northern Trust and some others do it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really wish they’d release a new SV650S.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I really wish they’d release a new SV650S.

Very much same. I’m in no danger of buying another road bike but I love the look!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So Kawasaki released their 2021 lineup and it's all offroad vehicles?

https://www.kawasaki.com/experience/newfeaturedvehicles?cm_sp=npl-_-2021_nfv_lp_p1-_-hpp

Does this mean that there's no model year bump for regular bikes, or that those are announced separately for some reason?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ninja is now a dirtbike, the zx14 is a side by side now. The KLR? You finally get the diesel version but now it’s a Mule*

*2wd only

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

uh the klx300r for 5,500 seems like a great priced brand new trail bike

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

KLX230ABS sounds right up my alley if I ever decide to jump into trails.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

So Kawasaki released their 2021 lineup and it's all offroad vehicles?

https://www.kawasaki.com/experience/newfeaturedvehicles?cm_sp=npl-_-2021_nfv_lp_p1-_-hpp

Does this mean that there's no model year bump for regular bikes, or that those are announced separately for some reason?

Usually dirtbikes are announced earlier, street models in oct/nov (Intermot / EICMA trade shows).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wanna see 2021 street bike colors, the maybe brand new MT07 and the RS660 price :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We should price-is-right guesstimate the RS660.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh you fool haha you absolute fool

Thirty five thousand dollars.

Edit: vvv you’re good dude I changed mine.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 7, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

$1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$2!!!!!!! e: gently caress

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I knew the consequences and yet I’m still disappointed in myself.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I bet the RS660 will be 10,500-11,500 in the U.S. It has to be less than the full out supersports like the R6 and the more capable middle weight nakeds like the KTM 890R at the 12k+ mark but there is no way they'll be below 10k.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it’s under 12k and has a more comfortable position than the r6’s 33.5” that would be cool.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Carth Dookie posted:

Is there a cycle asylum discord around? Asking as insurance in case the forums finally die due to the new Lowtax thing.

There's actually a very active discord for CA as well as a mostly dead irc channel, slack is slow as hell and for bland white bread computer touchers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I challenge anyone to use discord without touching a computer

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I challenge anyone to use discord without touching a computer

Does a smartphone count as a computer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:actually:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

500excf type r posted:

There's actually a very active discord for CA as well as a mostly dead irc channel, slack is slow as hell and for bland white bread computer touchers

where is the discord?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://discord.gg/zUvWPV

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 8, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

thank u

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you join the discord just post your forums name in the landing channel and someone will assign you the necessary role to get to the main chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That’s a bitchin’ picture for the channel.