Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

With a .308 from about 200 yards

Seems like a lot of effort when you could calmly walk up with a pair of side-cutters and cut the valve stem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that is a literal bomb. Given the two options, how would you prefer to disarm a bomb?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Remember that is a literal bomb. Given the two options, how would you prefer to disarm a bomb?
The inclusion of the word "calmly" makes me think it was a joke - I can't imagine anyone halfway sane being at all calm in the general vicinity of that tire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krakkles posted:

The inclusion of the word "calmly" makes me think it was a joke - I can't imagine anyone halfway sane being at all calm in the general vicinity of that tire.

The photographer is most likely dead, was probably obliterated by a pressure wave 0.01 seconds after he took the shot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How did this happen to begin with?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If it's not visibly growing or changing shape, it's found some point of temporary stability, so if you don't actively poke at it then it's safe enough to cut the valvestem. Just because it's a bomb doesn't mean it's exploding right this second.

If it is visibly growing or changing shape, then stand back to a safe place and watch the show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

rndmnmbr posted:

If it's not visibly growing or changing shape, it's found some point of temporary stability, so if you don't actively poke at it then it's safe enough to cut the valvestem. Just because it's a bomb doesn't mean it's exploding right this second.

If it is visibly growing or changing shape, then stand back to a safe place and watch the show.

Sorry I was being obtuse with the question. Is there some tire inflator that was the root cause?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry I was being obtuse with the question. Is there some tire inflator that was the root cause?

Air gets outside the pressure vessel, basically, and under the squishy rubber skin

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's a failure of the tyre structure. Parts of the carcass have separated and allowed air between the layers. The air has got between the srtuctural carcass with the steel belts and the outer rubber and tread.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

You must not be American. The solution to everything is guns.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What PSI do those monsters operate at?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Krakkles posted:

You must not be American. The solution to everything is guns.

It's a tire not a school, sheesh

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

insta posted:

I'd say "too soon", but when is it not?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

insta posted:

Hey now, we shoot lots of things that aren't schools.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Like deer!

Not a single natural area in my region would exist if it weren't for hunters demanding a place to murder ungulates.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

All the PSIs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

Like deer!

Not a single natural area in my region would exist if it weren't for hunters demanding a place to murder ungulates.

If only deer would cull themselves instead of running into cars. Or have some disease.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rndmnmbr posted:

Metastability doesn't mean "won't suddenly jump for a new equilibrium without warning."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

Metastability doesn't mean "won't suddenly jump for a new equilibrium without warning."

An activated hand grenade experiences a full seven seconds of metastability! It's safe!

or however many fuckin seconds, idk

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the last time that photo showed up I heard 90-100.

Also I am part of a Facebook group that has a lot of heavy equipment owners and operators in it. When that photo was posted there they all commented about just cutting the valve stem or stabbing it with various implements, some in a way that sounded like they'd done it before. None of them seemed at all put out by the idea, but it may just be the same machismo that requires them to drive F350s.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think the last time that photo showed up I heard 90-100.

Also I am part of a Facebook group that has a lot of heavy equipment owners and operators in it. When that photo was posted there they all commented about just cutting the valve stem or stabbing it with various implements, some in a way that sounded like they'd done it before. None of them seemed at all put out by the idea, but it may just be the same machismo that requires them to drive F350s.

Yeah, what i was getting at. Boyle's law. Hell cut the stem probably had to be around 25 at that point.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

All joking aside, two major points: The fact that any number of people have done it before without issue doesn’t mean its actually safe, and honestly, while I’m sure there’s a decent chance you could safely cut the stem, I’d personally use the .308 just because guns are fun.

I’m not a 2Aer, but it would be a great use of a gun, and it would be safer.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

No, and I wouldn't stand around it or poke at it or make funny faces at it, but a quick in-and-out with sidecutters probably wont turn you into fine red paste today. Everyone has to judge their own balance between safety and getting the job done, but I'd cut the valvestem and not think twice on it.

This is a good place to link Mike Rowe's 'Safety Third' statement. There is a definite risk of that tire killing anyone inside the blast zone, and steps should be taken to mitigate that risk. But it can't be eliminated without airing the tire down, and I personally think firing a rifle on the jobsite to be far more dangerous than just cutting the drat valvestem. Be quick, don't be stupid, and assume the risk.

e. Also a .308 is overkill, a .22 would do the job.

e2. Here's a good question, though, on a tire that big does it actually have a standard Schrader-style valve stem, or something bigger and beefier?

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 10, 2019

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Colostomy Bag posted:

If only deer would cull themselves instead of running into cars. Or have some disease.

They do, and even better, it's a contagious prion disease like mad cow!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

rndmnmbr posted:

No, and I wouldn't stand around it or poke at it or make funny faces at it, but a quick in-and-out with sidecutters probably wont turn you into fine red paste today. Everyone has to judge their own balance between safety and getting the job done, but I'd cut the valvestem and not think twice on it.

This is a good place to link Mike Rowe's 'Safety Third' statement. There is a definite risk of that tire killing anyone inside the blast zone, and steps should be taken to mitigate that risk. But it can't be eliminated without airing the tire down, and I personally think firing a rifle on the jobsite to be far more dangerous than just cutting the drat valvestem. Be quick, don't be stupid, and assume the risk.

e2. Here's a good question, though, on a tire that big does it actually have a standard Schrader-style valve stem, or something bigger and beefier?

It's like a Schrader but bigger. A normal air chuck won't fit on them but the large size isn't too difficult to find. And I'm echoing others that if it's been sitting like that for a bit and isn't growing or changing shape anymore and hasn't exploded yet then it's safe enough to walk up and remove the valve stem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EKDS5k posted:

It's like a Schrader but bigger. A normal air chuck won't fit on them but the large size isn't too difficult to find. And I'm echoing others that if it's been sitting like that for a bit and isn't growing or changing shape anymore and hasn't exploded yet then it's safe enough to walk up and remove the valve stem.

I would do it first thing in the morning.

My thinking is that it’s coolest then, which makes the pressure inside a little lower and the rubber a little stronger.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It also hasn't had breakfast yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

It also hasn't had breakfast yet.

I mean, it worked at the Battle of Ilipa.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I would do it first thing in the morning.

My thinking is that it’s coolest then, which makes the pressure inside a little lower and the rubber a little stronger.

There's also a fair chance the problem would solve itself if given enough time, too, so yeah leaving it overnight is a good idea.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rndmnmbr posted:

Everyone has to judge their own balance between safety and getting the job done, but I'd cut the valvestem and not think twice on it.

https://youtu.be/HANwJp8Z5mc

I dislike guns in the hands of 99% of people too but this seems like a purpose-built application for a sharpshooter, or else a robot with a sharp pointy stick. gently caress getting anywhere close to that thing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

`Nemesis posted:

They do, and even better, it's a contagious prion disease like mad cow!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

That's in my area and I got a video of a deer that almost undoubtedly had it walking around in my backyard. Contacted the DNR and if it shows up again I have a guy to call and I guess he'll probably ask me to shoot it.

CWD is loving awful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rndmnmbr posted:

I wouldn't, and I used to detonate high explosives for a living.

quote:

But it can't be eliminated without airing the tire down, and I personally think firing a rifle on the jobsite to be far more dangerous than just cutting the drat valvestem.

Why?

To me, that tire is no different than a piece of unexploded ordnance. Has it exploded? No. Is it currently exploding? No. But that's just like the line in a stock prospectus: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." And I'd no more walk up to that thing and poke at it then I would a piece of UXO. It could go at any time, and simply being in proximity to it is a risk for fatal injury. Poking at it, even moreso. All the ways to mitigate that risk involve not being in proximity to it.

Firing a rifle on the jobsite carries risks that are far more controllable. You could put a backstop in place. You can clear a fire zone. You can defer firing until you've ensured the danger area is clear. All of which are practices any place using trucks that big are probably already familiar with, because they're already in the practice of blowing stuff up.

quote:

.22LR might be underkill but .223 would certainly work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not like you're going to shoot at the tire while people are still walking around near the truck.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Its already half compromised so I bet a .22 would do it. .223 would go through it and possibly ricochet.

You can always escalate if it doesn't work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phanatic posted:

I wouldn't, and I used to detonate high explosives for a living.

Why?

To me, that tire is no different than a piece of unexploded ordnance. Has it exploded? No. Is it currently exploding? No. But that's just like the line in a stock prospectus: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." And I'd no more walk up to that thing and poke at it then I would a piece of UXO. It could go at any time, and simply being in proximity to it is a risk for fatal injury. Poking at it, even moreso. All the ways to mitigate that risk involve not being in proximity to it.

Firing a rifle on the jobsite carries risks that are far more controllable. You could put a backstop in place. You can clear a fire zone. You can defer firing until you've ensured the danger area is clear. All of which are practices any place using trucks that big are probably already familiar with, because they're already in the practice of blowing stuff up.

.22LR might be underkill but .223 would certainly work.
This exactly.

honda whisperer posted:

Its already half compromised so I bet a .22 would do it. .223 would go through it and possibly ricochet.

You can always escalate if it doesn't work.
To be transparent, I only said .308 because someone else did. And yeah, .22LR might work but I feel like it’d be less predictable. I’m not sure on that, tbh.

Agree with the “escalate if it doesn’t work”, 100%.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A real hunter does this with a longbow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

A real hunter does this with a longbow.
I could probably hit that tire with a bow.

Maybe.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Muzzleloader.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
JATO bottle the dump truck, place a stationary bullet at the end of a rocket sled track you had to build. Do what comes naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

According to the OSHA thread, they ended up shooting it from like, 200m with a Enfield.