Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

I have a switch and portable dark souls sounds cool, if it happens

Best game on the PS4 imo.

I absolutely hated it the first two times I played it. I kept thinking "this is just dumb difficult nerd poo poo" and gave up really quickly both times.
My friend kept telling me to persevere so I gave it ONE last try.

This led to basically a full year of playing Souls games but BB is my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ace of Seafood is on sale on the Japanese store so I bought it. Now I'm a salmon shooting freaking lasers out of my mouth and I don't even care.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Best game on the PS4 imo.

Definitely.

Couple years ago I borrowed a PS4 from a friend while he went on a trip just so I could play Bloodborne, which I managed to finish.
A month ago I finally got a PS4 of my own, and just slambought BB as soon as I could, beat it again, got platinum trophy and now I'm itching to play it again and planning another character build.

It's just that loving good.

For any prospective buyers: as JBP mentioned, the BB thread is still quite active and people there love giving a hand to new players and reading people's reactions to the game.

Welcome home, good Hunters.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Bloodborne was a game that I thought was kind of boring and not for me until I got past a certain point. Then I was addicted. I want to say that I had a lot more fun with it after I got Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I haven’t followed the PS Store holiday sale too closely. Will HZD Complete edition be discounted at some point?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just finished episode 22 in MGSV - are there any more episodes I should rush to unlock critical gameplay components like 21 did with FOBs?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Bloodborne is a fine game but I cannot bring myself to do a second playthrough. Every time I die in a challenging area my brain just thinks: "you've done this slog before, why are you putting yourself through this again?"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got myself Uncharted 4 and Journey; Uncharted 4 I could start the download from my PC, but for some reason Journey wouldn't let me, so I came over to the PS4 to trigger the download, went into 'purchased' and... there's Infinite Warfare in here?

I never bought it nor downloaded any demo, and it doesn't say 'demo' nor 'trial' in the title or anywhere else like other games, it outright says 'full game' in the description. What the hell?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

No both combat and exploring is insanely boring in 12

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Montalvo posted:

Bloodborne is a fine game but I cannot bring myself to do a second playthrough. Every time I die in a challenging area my brain just thinks: "you've done this slog before, why are you putting yourself through this again?"

It's not a slog provided you don't suck. :v:

Seriously though, just get some friends or even random summons to play with you. Any "slog" is removed with extra players.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Got myself Uncharted 4 and Journey; Uncharted 4 I could start the download from my PC, but for some reason Journey wouldn't let me, so I came over to the PS4 to trigger the download, went into 'purchased' and... there's Infinite Warfare in here?

I never bought it nor downloaded any demo, and it doesn't say 'demo' nor 'trial' in the title or anywhere else like other games, it outright says 'full game' in the description. What the hell?

condolences

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Trying to play The Surge and the first boss is just an awful instakilling slog. If you step in front of him for an instant, he slices your entire health bar off :gibs:.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Edmond Dantes posted:

It still might be a trial. Some games like tear away unfolded demo call themselves full games cause the demo i guess is just a locked copy of the full game? Idk. Launch it to find out i guess

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Smol posted:

I haven’t followed the PS Store holiday sale too closely. Will HZD Complete edition be discounted at some point?

It was already. Will be again.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trying to play The Surge and the first boss is just an awful instakilling slog. If you step in front of him for an instant, he slices your entire health bar off :gibs:.

The PS4 has three fromsoft games and Nioh. Why the hell are you playing lovely knockoff games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Surge is ok. Its no lords of the fallen

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

This barely qualifies as damning with faint praise.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boss: just keep your distance until it fires missles then run to him so it gets hit with it’s own missles and stunned. The wind up on his kick is long if you see him moving his feet then get the gently caress out of the way

TaurusOxford posted:

The PS4 has three fromsoft games and Nioh. Why the hell are you playing lovely knockoff games?

I understand why you might say this but the goon-damning of this game is dramatically over blown and it’s actually got a lot of fun and deep mechanics, plus they just patched in the DLC which added a fuckton of really fun new toys.

Basically if you like Nioh/BB/Dark Souls you can easily get another 40 hours out of the Surge.

I also Platinumed Bloodborne and the Surge is a good game, if no one told you it was by the lords of the fallen guys you would literally never get that from the game.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Boss: just keep your distance until it fires missles then run to him so it gets hit with it’s own missles and stunned. The wind up on his kick is long if you see him moving his feet then get the gently caress out of the way

From what I can tell, you have to kick him in the shins repeatedly to get him to fire missiles, and that takes loving ages to do.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

That's like saying Mighty No. 9 is okay because it's not Mega man X7.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I tried that Surge demo and really liked it. If the publisher weren't clods I would have bought it on this Christmas sale if they had hit it with another 40-50% off sale, but I guess since the Complete Edition only came out a month ago they don't want to do that so I'll probably buy GT Sport instead.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Seriously though, just get some friends or even random summons to play with you. Any "slog" is removed with extra players.

I am notably bad at videogames. It's more that it's irritating to get stuck in places that I know I could breeze through with my NG+ character; or that I managed to deal with well during my first playthrough. It's been over a year since my first time playing the game, so I'm rusty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Surge is good. The first boss is definitely a hard one. Stick near its legs. Once it starts smoking, attack its head.

Its health bar is deceptive, it'll go down much quicker after the first section goes down.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TaurusOxford posted:

That's like saying Mighty No. 9 is okay because it's not Mega man X7.

Except The Surge is good

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anything worth getting in the current sale? Uncharted 4?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
My current backlog of PS4 games:
  1. Horizon: Zero Dawn + DLC (currently working on finishing this)
  2. Bloodbourne
  3. Uncharted 4
  4. Nier: Automata
  5. Persona 5 (just picked this up in the sale)

Right now I am still in the honeymoon phase at my new job (first month) and working approx. 50 hour weeks.

This is my struggle.

:negative:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I played the surge demo on Steam and would definitely pick it up if it weren't for the fact I still have nier and prey to get through plus checking out sfv ae before monster hunter in about a month's time

e: oh yeah plus I'm midway through yakuza kiwami and have persona 5 still untouched but that's gonna have to wait

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 27, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/946055836593479680

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Telltale's Batman confirmed as January PS+ games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Starblood Arena anything special?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Another game I've owned on disc forever and only played the first five hours of before shelving it. I guess I'll turn it into Gamestop or something for $3 :geno:

How is the DLC for it? I also grabbed that during some crazy 80% off sale forever ago but never touched it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Montalvo posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/946055836593479680

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Telltale's Batman confirmed as January PS+ games.

I've actually been a little curious about the Psycho Pass visual novel, so looking forward to that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wow I'm so glad I didn't buy the Psycho-Pass VN when it was on sale last week

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Starblood Arena and Telltale's Batman are okay. gently caress Mankind Divided for everything it hosed up though, especially that NG+ function how do you gently caress up NG+!?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Starblood Arena and Telltale's Batman are okay. gently caress Mankind Divided for everything it hosed up though, especially that NG+ function how do you gently caress up NG+!?

What did they do to NG+? I literally cannot fathom how you gently caress up a NG+

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Montalvo posted:

What did they do to NG+? I literally cannot fathom how you gently caress up a NG+

You can't go through a second NG+ on a file that already completed NG+ once. I thought about going back to Mankind Divided to get the trophies I missed when it came out, only to find out that in order to play the game on the hardest difficulty (the one with permadeath) for the trophy I'd have to start a new file, beat that file, and then do NG+ on that mode (despite the fact that difficulty doesn't carry over any NG+ content and the only qualifier to access the difficulty is having a NG+ unlock).

For non-spergy reasons aside, it also means you can't come back to it say, after a long hiatus, to play through the game with all your toys a third time on that one save file unless you had the foresight to create a save on it at the exact moment NG+ started.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

I have a switch and portable dark souls sounds cool, if it happens

It didn't click with me until someone explained the gameplay style. It's basically like Mario.

You have to get from a to b but if you die all the enemies come back (just like Mario).

The difference is that you gotta kill the enemies in a 3D combat situation and every enemy you kill gives you exp (and weapons) to gradually get stronger.

The catch? You need to use that exp or lose it.

Edit: Also the game is one huge sprawling map. It's fairly linear for the most part but what happens is that you unlock shortcuts that allow you to come back to earlier parts of the world. Or, if you get killed, quickly get back to where you died.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 27, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Mirror's Edge Catalyst is pretty fun. I'm really enjoying trying to maximize my efficiency on various side missions. It's also surprisingly difficult. I'll be restarting more than a few times trying to complete the various "parkour to this place quickly" missions just to complete them non optimally. It was like $5 with PS+, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

TaurusOxford posted:

Until they die 10 seconds into the fight leaving you with a juiced-up boss (dlc spoiler)ISN'T THAT loving RIGHT, LAWRENCE?!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

You can't go through a second NG+ on a file that already completed NG+ once. I thought about going back to Mankind Divided to get the trophies I missed when it came out, only to find out that in order to play the game on the hardest difficulty (the one with permadeath) for the trophy I'd have to start a new file, beat that file, and then do NG+ on that mode (despite the fact that difficulty doesn't carry over any NG+ content and the only qualifier to access the difficulty is having a NG+ unlock).

For non-spergy reasons aside, it also means you can't come back to it say, after a long hiatus, to play through the game with all your toys a third time on that one save file unless you had the foresight to create a save on it at the exact moment NG+ started.

Wow yeah, that's inane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've actually been a little curious about the Psycho Pass visual novel, so looking forward to that.

As someone who thought even the maligned second season of Psycho-Pass was dope, I am pretty excited to check out the VN for free.