Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockington posted:

I’ve really been enjoying my 24” x 96” main workbench more that I put a tool tray on the backside. Makes clearing the table of common items so much faster and the most used stuff is always right there.

All this oak is cut a little long until worked out, but I’m looking at a 11’ x 4’ finished work surface probably. I’m more looking to toss any number of random projects on it and not really worry.

Given the length, I should be looking at a six leg setup instead of normal four, no?

I have a 10’ long glue up table with 2x10? (Maybe 2x8?) framing with 6 legs and it is stout af. It would probably be fine with 4 but with 6 it is guaranteed stiff as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Is this the right place to ask about refinishing used furniture? I'm looking to get a solid wood dining table off craigslist that needs a little work but I only have kind of a vague idea of what to look for. I know veneers can be more difficult and challenging to repair if they're hosed up so I'm looking only at solid wood surfaces. For a solid top is it generally just some combination of stripping/sanding/staining/sealing?

These are two examples of what I've been looking at.

This looks sun damaged. Is the correct way to fix this stripping off the finish, restaining, and then resealing?

This one looks more like the finish is hosed up and needs to be stripped and likely just refinished?

Are these good examples of what kind of issues solid tables might have and is my read on the remedy pretty close? Anything I can read up on to get a better idea of what to look for?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Hmm now I am wondering if just buy a vise and put an apron on my bench and kick the rest of project down road with the intention of reusing the vise in the future.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Sockington posted:

I’ve really been enjoying my 24” x 96” main workbench more that I put a tool tray on the backside. Makes clearing the table of common items so much faster and the most used stuff is always right there.

Have a picture of the tray? I really like the bench I built but I'm kicking myself for not making it longer so I could use a little extra real estate on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bob Mundon posted:

Have a picture of the tray? I really like the bench I built but I'm kicking myself for not making it longer so I could use a little extra real estate on it.

It’s not really a tray - I might have oversold it. I had some space between the edge of the table and the wall so I made a small filler thing for it.

Current state of mess:

Used to have a 2x2 as a stopper on the back of the bench. Pulled it out and put a 5” wide tray that over hangs off the back but sits 1/2” below the work surface so I can just push poo poo into the boxes when I need the room real quick.

When I ran the sag-ulator on the oak cross braces, they didn’t even flinch at 500 lbs on a single cross brace. I just wasn’t sure how that all played together once tied into the apron boards and then a top thrown on it too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Is this the right place to ask about refinishing used furniture? I'm looking to get a solid wood dining table off craigslist that needs a little work but I only have kind of a vague idea of what to look for. I know veneers can be more difficult and challenging to repair if they're hosed up so I'm looking only at solid wood surfaces. For a solid top is it generally just some combination of stripping/sanding/staining/sealing?

This looks sun damaged. Is the correct way to fix this stripping off the finish, restaining, and then resealing?

This one looks more like the finish is hosed up and needs to be stripped and likely just refinished?

Are these good examples of what kind of issues solid tables might have and is my read on the remedy pretty close? Anything I can read up on to get a better idea of what to look for?
Sometimes you can thoroughly clean and then scuff sand a finish and re-coat it with new finish (shellac is usually best here) and a lot of those problems disappear, but there’s really no way to know until you depending on the condition of the original finish, that may not be a very durable option.

Totally stripping and refinishing is often the best solution if the finish is in bad shape, but it’s a really big mess and a pain in the butt. It needs to be done outside or somewhere with excellent ventilation, and most strippers work better in warmer temperatures. The ‘good stuff’ was recently taken out of strippers available to consumers in the US, and the current stuff doesn’t work all that well on alot or finishes. Depending on what the original finish is it can be very difficult to strip even with more industrial strippers. The modern conversion varnishes and fancy 2k polyurethanes used on alot of modern factory furniture are super tough.

Once you’ve stripped it, it needs to be cleaned well with mineral spirits and/or lacquer thinner to remove any residual contaminants from the stripping process-especially any waxes or silicone from furniture polish, sanded lightly (or heavily, depending on condition), stained and refinished.

There’s nothing fun about refinishing and you’re gonna spend $100 on materials at least to strip/refinish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll just add that actual real shellac dissolves in alcohol, which is a benefit for stripping but also a major vulnerability for surfaces that people might spill alcoholic drinks on. So keep that in mind.

Also if that isn't actually veneer but rather solid wood, there's one stripper that always works, good ol' 80 grit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I bought the 50% off Ryobi Planer. Last year I was able to snag the 50% off Delta T2 table saw. Hoping that next year I can find a 50% off jointer and complete the holy trinity.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'd get that second one (looks like cherry?) and just wipe it liberally with a clear oil like Watco. Let dry completely. Learn this one weird time-and-grief-saver trick a stay at home finisher uses. Honestly, it really is an old trick for renewing lacquer finishes. Maybe shellac too, I'm not sure on that. What I am sure of is stripping is nasty work.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I guess this goes here.

Sat in my Eames replica this morning and it simply snapped.

I assume this is beyond repair, right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I guess this goes here.

I wouldn't say beyond repair, just need a change in diet and probably a bit more exercise. Chair's pretty hosed though, sorry.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm recovering from sinus surgery too so this also covered my face in blood which is pretty comical

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm recovering from sinus surgery too so this also covered my face in blood which is pretty comical

post / username combo

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

I guess this goes here.

I would say your best option is to see if you can just buy a replacement lower back panel from the Eames factory or whatever. Alternatively make your own lower back panel, but that would take a significant investment in time and money if you're not already a woodworker.

I don't think a simple repair would work. I mean you can try slathering it in a bunch of epoxy, but then every time you sit down you would be wondering is this the time it snaps again?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Because it's a replica I would need to make sure it's an exact match, which may not be possible. I did discover that this also happens with the real chairs though, and that there are companies that advertise fixing it, lmao:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I guess this goes here.

Yeah that’s not really repairable. Maaaaybe with a bunch of epoxy. Is it a Herman miller one or a knockoff? I think Herman miller usually has decent warranties

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Knockoff. I might see if I can convince the company to send me a new shell and shock mount tho

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Knockoff. I might see if I can convince the company to send me a new shell and shock mount tho

Plywood should definitely not break like that unless you hit from the side real hard with a sledgehammer or somethin

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Plywood should definitely not break like that unless you hit from the side real hard with a sledgehammer or somethin

hmm yeah. Even there, those are really clean breaks across the grain, aren't they? That looks like it was pinched between two boards and broken across them.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
A quick look on google turned up a bunch of pictures of Eames chair which broke in exactly the same place and manner. So I'm guessing it's an inherent weak point in the design. Really sucks, because that's a nightmare to repair.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah that's a thin section of ply in shear stress and I'm gonna guess when you sit down hard you're putting several hundred pounds of shock force on it. The fact the ply has been curved may have additionally stressed the bits inside. It may have been cracked throughout the inner plies from the factory with only the veneer actually taking the weight.

I would chalk it up to a design that was pretty but poorly engineered and look for a new different nice looking chair to sit in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This vindicates all my bad opinions about how poorly built and designed much factory made midcentury modern furniture was.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This wouldn't have happened if they had used hide glue.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This vindicates all my bad opinions about how poorly built and designed much factory made midcentury modern furniture was.

I have to constantly fight with ~~designers~~ who don't understand why I can't make their brilliant vision work in reality because they have no concept of structural mechanics.

Glad to know that isn't a new problem.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I mean the shock mount on the right side failed catastrophically, leaving the left side to hold the full weight of my fat rear end, which was plenty enough to cause it to snap.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

yeah that's a thin section of ply in shear stress and I'm gonna guess when you sit down hard you're putting several hundred pounds of shock force on it. The fact the ply has been curved may have additionally stressed the bits inside. It may have been cracked throughout the inner plies from the factory with only the veneer actually taking the weight.

I would chalk it up to a design that was pretty but poorly engineered and look for a new different nice looking chair to sit in.
It's a cheap fake so I'm not that surprised that it failed. People own the genuine article for 50+ years with zero problems like this. But the chair is also not designed to sustain more than 300lb at a time and it had two people on it...vigorously...from time to time, so it's at least partially my fault? Maybe?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tell us more about your gently caress chair.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a cheap fake so I'm not that surprised that it failed. People own the genuine article for 50+ years with zero problems like this. But the chair is also not designed to sustain more than 300lb at a time and it had two people on it...vigorously...from time to time, so it's at least partially my fault? Maybe?

Well Just Winging It said

Just Winging It posted:

A quick look on google turned up a bunch of pictures of Eames chair which broke in exactly the same place and manner.

so it sounds like even the genuine article actually isn't "zero problems" either

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have got one more project for my wife and then I do workbench fun time. Cosman’s bench is a very attractive option. I didn’t jump on that sweet ryobi deal, which makes the MDF top sound nice. Anyone built one? Are the video instructions worth the money($50)? I was initially thinking I would just buy the sketch up plans for $20.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Eames stuff is basically fine as the slightly nicer-looking alternative to other lovely bottom-dollar molded plastic institutional furniture it was meant to be but the name got rich collector cachet so it's all $5000 now lmao

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 4, 2023

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Earlier today my order of veneers arrived from Certainly Wood, about 300 sq ft of various veneers, definitely way more than I need or perhaps will ever use, but looking forward to some fun projects regardless. :getin:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Earlier today my order of veneers arrived from Certainly Wood, about 300 sq ft of various veneers, definitely way more than I need or perhaps will ever use, but looking forward to some fun projects regardless. :getin:

You make some pretty amazing stuff. :allears:

Calidus posted:

I have got one more project for my wife and then I do workbench fun time. Cosman’s bench is a very attractive option. I didn’t jump on that sweet ryobi deal, which makes the MDF top sound nice. Anyone built one? Are the video instructions worth the money($50)? I was initially thinking I would just buy the sketch up plans for $20.

There’s also this one with a MDF top. If I didn’t need to store my drat kayak somewhere, this seems like a simple to do or even modular units.
https://youtu.be/n4Z886Wb9l4

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sockington posted:

There’s also this one with a MDF top. If I didn’t need to store my drat kayak somewhere, this seems like a simple to do or even modular units.
https://youtu.be/n4Z886Wb9l4

Oh that is nice, the legs/box being off center would make it nice for when I push it against a wall for storage

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I made Cosman's bench a few years back. It's been working great, my only regret is routing in the clamp tracks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Sounds like you've got enough extra to fix that other guy's imitation gently caress chair.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Sounds like you've got enough extra to fix that other guy's imitation gently caress chair.

:golfclap:

If you need any archtop guitar material, my local Lowe’s is stocked. A little too light to make hockey corner boards out of :canada:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Perhaps we should glue up some layers of that and donate it to gently caress chair goon.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sockington posted:

:golfclap:

If you need any archtop guitar material, my local Lowe’s is stocked. A little too light to make hockey corner boards out of :canada:

That’s good enough for replacement glass when you’re waiting for the glass order to arrive though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

My guesstimate though is your four-legged 11' long bench could easily support a half ton pickup truck without deflecting so that's my gut feeling on the matter. :shrug:

What if I added a 4” thick torsion box below the main decking too. :angel: This is just sitting with gravity for now -I’ll space them out and glue & screw it. together tomorrow when warmer. 5/8” dividers and 1/2” bottom sheet to attach it all together. Sandwich this between the two oak stringers afterwards and notch some legs into this. Toss the decking ontop afterwards. The braces sit 1/4” proud of the plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

I made Cosman's bench a few years back. It's been working great, my only regret is routing in the clamp tracks.

Why do you regret routing the tracks?
I'm about to make something similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvs2fQK2Eko