Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

chiefnewo posted:

Have you got a link to this? I found a Grond on Youtube but no videos of uadom.

He streams in Twitch as Yulgash. Everyone just calls him Grond because it's his handle on the ADOM forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

Have you got a link to this? I found a Grond on Youtube but no videos of uadom.

https://www.twitch.tv/yulgash latest vod is some alpha stuff, dunno if his playthroughs of older alphas are still up

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Ha, so I did find him but didn't realise it. Thanks!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What is the hardest rougelike that people here have managed to beat (i.e. most time attempting)? For me it was like 200 relaxing hours playing Tome4 and 40 hectic hours to finally "loop" Nuclear Throne.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zero VGS posted:

What is the hardest rougelike that people here have managed to beat (i.e. most time attempting)? For me it was like 200 relaxing hours playing Tome4 and 40 hectic hours to finally "loop" Nuclear Throne.

I have several ultra endings in ADOM 0.9.9 g16r2, which was the last revision before talents came in and didn't have the post-Kickstarter bridging content or the new artifacts. I couldn't even begin to say how long it took to get the first, but I do know that when I picked it up again a couple of years ago I played 200+ hours before getting a normal win.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Nethack, DoomRL, Tome4, and Dredmor all took me >50 runs to first win; I think Tome4 took >100. Not sure how many hours that turns into, ToME4 runs are long but of course a lot of characters splat early.

In terms of "longest time from first playthrough to first win" Nethack easily takes the crown, since I played it for the first time when I was like 12 and didn't actually get my first ascension until undergrad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zero VGS posted:

If you count '15 runes' as 'beat', rather than 'the minimum of 3 runes', Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup took me I think a year or two of pretty regular play.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
DCSS definitely took me the longest but I don't think it's because it's the hardest, it's just that it was my first roguelike. There are a lot of transferable skills within the genre.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hm that’s not great- that is not how I thought they’d implement that system! It also looks like on steam it’s mostly negative, so even if some of the complaints are pc port specific it does seem like most people are pretty down on it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Several clears of Shiren DS :shrug: but I don't play roguelikes to get to the endings, really. I tend to burn out quickly.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

goferchan posted:

I got too greedy and overwhelmed myself. Now that I look back there was zero reason to do so

Add this to the thread title, pls

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I love nethack, nothing has captured me like this since xcom. But pets are pure bullshit, easily the hardest monsters in the game. Just now, I killed a monster and my pet beelined for the food before I could move. If altars weren't random, I'd never deal with them.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 1, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

temple posted:

I love nethack, nothing has captured me like this since xcom. But pets are pure bullshit, easily the hardest monsters in the game. Just now, I killed a monster and my pet beelined for the food before I could move. If altars weren't random, I'd never deal with them.

you can abandon your pet on level 1 if you want. the only time i bothered with pets in nethack was on my winning valkyrie, who polymorphed briefly into a silver dragon and laid an egg to raise into a silver dragon, which when friendly is a flying steed with reflection. anything else is gonna die toward the end

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Gordian Quest begins their big push this year with Realm Mode, which is largely and essentially them throwing down against Slay the Spire in interwoven parallel to their own distinctive campaign doings---with a host of other assorted gains:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/981430/view/3037083185841170043

I want to like Gordian Quest but I wouldn't recommend it in its current state. It really needs to adopt a less is more philosophy and focus on really refining the systems it has (and cutting pointless ones like supplies). The balance is also really bad, where my scoundrel does literally hundreds of points of damage a turn compared to everyone else doing like 30 on a good round.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

temple posted:

Yeah I hate pets in nethack. I've been using OPTIONS=pettype:none since after my first dozen or so runs.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

GrandpaPants posted:

I want to like Gordian Quest but I wouldn't recommend it in its current state. It really needs to adopt a less is more philosophy and focus on really refining the systems it has (and cutting pointless ones like supplies). The balance is also really bad, where my scoundrel does literally hundreds of points of damage a turn compared to everyone else doing like 30 on a good round.

Yeah, after playing it a bit I set it aside for like a year. It has potential to be really fun, but currently the balance is absolutely non-existent.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

temple posted:

What a wild ride

Wow right on the Astral Planes that sucks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

temple posted:

What a wild ride

roguelikes.jpg

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
It was my first time and I didn't know what was going on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm looking at Neon Abyss, which i gather is like BoI but sideways; is it also like BoI in that i have to tab out to a wiki every couple of minutes to figure out what I just grabbed?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless they've made major changes to the game, nearly every item does the same exact generic thing and most of the eggs are pointless as well. I wouldn't even suggest playing it tbh. I felt really burned.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ciaphas posted:

i'm looking at Neon Abyss, which i gather is like BoI but sideways; is it also like BoI in that i have to tab out to a wiki every couple of minutes to figure out what I just grabbed?

last I checked it doesn't give you item descriptions at a glance AND is bland as hell

quick edit: while also having suicidal item combinations

double edit: it does give you item descriptions after you pick the item up, at least

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Synthetik is currently on sale for $6.59 on Steam, if anyone has been following the talk but waited to pull the trigger (like I have).

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Do most of shiren's dungeons have night mode? I just got to the first dungeon that has it and I really don't think I could enjoy playing this

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

neosloth posted:

Do most of shiren's dungeons have night mode? I just got to the first dungeon that has it and I really don't think I could enjoy playing this

Postgame dungeons are split 50/50 between day/night or always day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mithross posted:

Synthetik is currently on sale for $6.59 on Steam, if anyone has been following the talk but waited to pull the trigger (like I have).

drat that's a really good deal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Play Synthetik.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
For The King is apparently livening back up in a couple weeks:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/527230/view/2948135824513550768

The...Unusual*...Wheel of Fate is also leaving Early Access at about the same time:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105740/Wheel_of_Fate/

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
It's a real shame that Synthetik on the Switch has been broken for months now, it sems like a really fun game but it's diffuclt to get in to when it crashes every time moving to zone 3. Apparently the next patch is supposed to fix it, but so was the last one.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MorphineMike posted:

It's a real shame that Synthetik on the Switch has been broken for months now, it sems like a really fun game but it's diffuclt to get in to when it crashes every time moving to zone 3. Apparently the next patch is supposed to fix it, but so was the last one.

Yeah I've been waiting for ages. I keep picking the game back up hoping it'll somehow work this time, and then... :sigh:

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Unexplored had a similar issue with crashing on switch for a few weeks/months after launch, and naturally as soon as they finally put out a patch that actually fixed the crash, I happened to stop playing it for something else.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fractalis now also a thing proper:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141160/Fractalis/

quote:

Fractalis is a procedurally generated roguelike that has turnbased/gridbased combat with a realtime feel.

Each world that is generated has its own unique monsters to fight, and areas to explore. In the combat system you can attack with melee weapons, ranged weapons, throwing weapons, and magic attacks. Different weapons have their own attack areas, and effects. As you travel though numerous levels below the overworld, you will fight menacing monsters, find interesting items, weapons, and equipment that will aid you along your journey.

Features
Perma Death
Procedurally generated dungeons, enemies, and items
Turnbased movement/combat
Gridbased movement/combat
Dungeon Crawling with numerous levels to explore

Weapon Classes
Duel Wielding Swords, Two Handed Swords, Clubs,
Heavy Weapons, Polearms, Daggers, Magic Staffs, Shields

7 Armor Slots
Head, Shoulders, Chest, Wrists, Hands, Legs, Feet
4 Accessory Slots
Neck, Waist, Left Finger, Right Finger

Skill Types
Sword, Club, Heavy Weapon, Polearm, Mage, Range, Assassin
Magic Types
Rock, Wind, Water, Fire, Ice, Lightning

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Seems cool but lmao at the store page description that's just a list of equipment slots and item types with zero context for why that would matter. Also winced when the character opened his inventory in the trailer and it was just a grid of like 300 different item icons, like is that just a debug inventory or is that what you're expected to be lugging around?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Iratus is 50% off right now. I've been eyeing that one for a while, what do you guys think of it?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SavageMessiah posted:

Iratus is 50% off right now. I've been eyeing that one for a while, what do you guys think of it?

I did a return on it. I was hoping for another Darkest Dungeon in tone but got something really cheeky and not as good as the thing that inspired it. This might be an unfair criticism.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

I did a return on it. I was hoping for another Darkest Dungeon in tone but got something really cheeky and not as good as the thing that inspired it. This might be an unfair criticism.

No that's basically how I feel about it. It wants to be Darkest Dungeon but really didn't understand what made it charming at all. The combat isn't bad, but Iratus himself is grating and annoying.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

SavageMessiah posted:

I love it. super fun combat. I've had success with a pretty wide variety of party comps. Stephan Weyte as Iratus is great fun. runs are a bit too long, but, as I said, the combat is fun, so I don't mind more of it

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Stanley Tweedle posted:

Stephan Weyte as Iratus is great fun.

I thought that voice sounded familiar! Nice. It's pretty obvious from the trailers that it isn't remotely the same tone as DD so I'm ok with that. If the combat and stuff is fun then I'll probably end up getting it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For one thing, the DD Ancestor's voice lines were repetitive enough, and Iratus has way fewer and says them way, way more often. Get used to hearing the same weird dad joke every thirty seconds forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688z-4SWxOQ