Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

evidently the new multiplayer mission briefing has a quarian ark reference?

https://www.masseffect.com/apex-missions/apex-mission-brief-08

OMG Quarian ark DLC incoming!!!111

I'm sure the last person still making patches and turning out the office lights in the evenings at Bioware Montreal will be doing a stellar job on it.

I hope they didn't get a long term lease on the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pattonesque posted:

ME3's multiplayer worked because classes could operate independently but benefitted from synchronizing with teammates.

MEA's multiplayer does not do that.

That was sort of a late addition. Early on, abilities like Singularity didn't prime, and tech combos were buggy at best, so only a few kits like Asari Adept could prime/detonate by themselves with any reliability. Power creep gradually set in over the course of the four? five? DLC packs, which is when classes like the aforementioned Asari Huntress showed up. I'd expect ME:A MP to follow the same path if they have the same only-supporting-multiplayer strategy as 3.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Elotana posted:

Best Buy's latest sale is $30

$30 two months after release, Jesus wept

We need a screenshot of those guys who bought the 200 dollar editions to spite the thread.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

We need a screenshot of those guys who bought the 200 dollar editions to spite the thread.

(I don't know what the $200 version was - some physical edition?)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
ME:A is still a poo poo tier game but a few pages ago someone lumped our chances for a sequel in with chances for a new Dead Space, and lol if you don't think EA is working on trying to bring that back after RE7 made waves.

Whether or not they succeed is another thing. I'm guessing it'll be great for the first reboot then promptly turn to poo poo. Or it'll be poo poo from the get go like Mirror's Edge 2.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bloodysabbath posted:

ME:A is still a poo poo tier game but a few pages ago someone lumped our chances for a sequel in with chances for a new Dead Space, and lol if you don't think EA is working on trying to bring that back after RE7 made waves.

Whether or not they succeed is another thing. I'm guessing it'll be great for the first reboot then promptly turn to poo poo. Or it'll be poo poo from the get go like Mirror's Edge 2.

That was probably me but I suspect that if EA was into resurrecting dead franchises we'd have more Magic Carpet, Syndicate, etc by now.

Actually I could see a new "proper" Syndicate being given the go-ahead once CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077 comes out to cash in on the predicted success.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Space 3 was a lot of fun. It wasn't scary at all, but then neither was 1 or 2 once you got a gun. Making machine-gun rocket launchers or Mjolnir was a blast and Isaac's good friend Mr. Potatohead was hilarious, especially his side content. The one mission is about his dead son's birthday and the streamers go from saying "happy birthday!" to "DEAD INSIDE".

I wonder if anyone was dumb enough to buy the loot packs in DS3 though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Dead Space 3 was a lot of fun. It wasn't scary at all,

Deadspace 3 was fun, but it sure as hell wasn't deadspace. They threw the pacing out the window and vastly minimized the horror elements. If they removed the dismember feature then you could have rebranded the third one as an entirely new game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It's a shame DA2 wasn't acknowledged as the Game of the Year back when it came out, it seems Bioware isn't going to get another chance unless DA4 returns to the series' strengths and isn't boring like Inquisition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Pick posted:

It's a shame DA2 wasn't acknowledged as the Game of the Year back when it came out, it seems Bioware isn't going to get another chance unless DA4 returns to the series' strengths and isn't boring like Inquisition.

well, speaking of that, here's an interview with the former Fallen London guy who's writing the next DA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-19-writing-the-next-dragon-age

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

well, speaking of that, here's an interview with the former Fallen London guy who's writing the next DA

As long as he's only writing and not allowed to touch anything game design related, this is a good thing. :)

Sunless Sea was well written but designed to be anti-fun, with patches that came out to further remove anything fun the player base found

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Snuffman posted:

As long as he's only writing and not allowed to touch anything game design related, this is a good thing. :)

Sunless Sea was well written but designed to be anti-fun, with patches that came out to further remove anything fun the player base found

oh yeah, same with Fallen London -- great writing hiding behind an awful lot of BS

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DancingShade posted:

(I don't know what the $200 version was - some physical edition?)

The $200 edition (and one of the $100 editions), didn't come with the game at all. It only has an app controlled Nomad in the $200 edition with no game, and a model Nomad in the $100 with no game.

Honestly, if the $200 edition controllable Nomad was a lot cheaper, I'd probably get it because I like dumb space toys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nichael posted:

The $200 edition (and one of the $100 editions), didn't come with the game at all. It only has an app controlled Nomad in the $200 edition with no game, and a model Nomad in the $100 with no game.

Honestly, if the $200 edition controllable Nomad was a lot cheaper, I'd probably get it because I like dumb space toys.

Haha, that's amazing. EA knew they had a big stinker and fleeced these people hard.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Haha, that's amazing. EA knew they had a big stinker and fleeced these people hard.
I think the "super collector's edition" without the actual game in it is a trend now, unfortunately. It wasn't started by EA either.

Again, the Nomad toy is pretty cool, but like I said, I love schlock. It just needs to be a lot cheaper.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nichael posted:

I think the "super collector's edition" without the actual game in it is a trend now, unfortunately. It wasn't started by EA either.

Again, the Nomad toy is pretty cool, but like I said, I love schlock. It just needs to be a lot cheaper.

It's ok, the game is only $30 anyway.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

How is collector edition of a thing not having the thing it's a collector edition of even a loving thing?

First Trump, and now this poo poo. Send the asteroid.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nichael posted:

tooterfish posted:

How is collector edition of a thing not having the thing it's a collector edition of even a loving thing?

It's to avoid burning people that want a digital copy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rinkles posted:

It's to avoid burning people that want a digital copy.

So why not include a DL code in the package, mr rocket scientist

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

So why not include a DL code in the package, mr rocket scientist

Less SKUs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
News of the team being shrunk doesn't lie, but I'm perplexed how there could be no expansion plans and everyone is saying the series is dead when we somehow got a third Dragon Age game. ME:A has a bunch of flaws it really shouldn't have with EA's resources but it's still a good game.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Shumagorath posted:

News of the team being shrunk doesn't lie, but I'm perplexed how there could be no expansion plans and everyone is saying the series is dead when we somehow got a third Dragon Age game. ME:A has a bunch of flaws it really shouldn't have with EA's resources but it's still a good game.

DA2 was a misstep clearly attributable to executive overreach and crazy short development on a new IP with promise. ME:A was a listless 5 year fuckup trying to massage life into a corpse that Bioware deliberately shot and pissed on at the end of its preannounced life span. They aren't similar in what they suggest for the chances of future success.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Deus Ex franchise survived Invisible War. ME:A isn't even Hitman: Absolution levels of fatal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

The Deus Ex franchise survived Invisible War. ME:A isn't even Hitman: Absolution levels of fatal.

But it didn't survive 2017.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rinkles posted:

But it didn't survive 2017.
Did Mankind Divided do that badly?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

It did.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ugh, then again the story was so uncompelling even I, Deus Ex Fan A #1, didn't finish it before moving on to another game. Did Square say they were suspending the franchise or outright trashing the studio like Hitman? That would mean they killed two of my favourites.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 26, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

It didn't do badly, it just didn't do well by Square Enix standards, which expect CoD-level payouts for every game.

See also Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Ugh, then again the story was so uncompelling even I, Deus Ex Fan A #1, didn't finish it before moving on to another game. Did Square say they were suspending the franchise or outright trashing the studio like Hitman? That would mean they killed two of my favourites.

The studio is moving on to work on a Marvel game. Deus Ex probably isn't outright dead, but any sequel is on hold.

Snuffman posted:

It didn't do badly, it just didn't do well by Square Enix standards, which expect CoD-level payouts for every game.

See also Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs.

It's easy to be cynical about this, but these are expensive projects. There's an opportunity cost to funding them. From what I've heard, it did do badly, and not just fail to meet unrealistic expectations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

tooterfish posted:

Because the company bleeds cash if it makes platform-specific editions. eg If there's a small but vocal XBONE sperg contingent that wants collectors' editions, they can meet demand with platform-neutral product without ending up with pallets of unsold copies made to scale. Warehouse space is what it comes down to, ultimately.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shumagorath posted:

Square Enix expects 10 million day one sales for any project to be considered a success. In MD's case, they also added a last minute microtransaction system to the game, on top of it already being gutted similarly to Human Revolution by time cuts in development.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's a shame ME:A got so many obvious things wrong at the macro level because when it's on it's really on. I especially like the little touches like the safety harnesses not closing if you bring Drack along for Peebee's loyalty mission.

(yeah I put the game down for two months and have been bingeing today, how could you tell)

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 27, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

evidently the new multiplayer mission briefing has a quarian ark reference?

https://www.masseffect.com/apex-missions/apex-mission-brief-08

i will lol on my rear end if it turns out the only Quarian Ark content we get are some Apex missions (which for anyone who hasn't bothered with the MP, are regular matches but with a modifier or two and a special briefing) and maybe an unlockable Quarian class.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Milky Moor posted:

Tradition tells us almost nothing of the Macwalters save for the horrible tricolor platforms they would build from the severed heads of their enemies. We found one of these a few hours ago, thirty feet high and a hundred feet across, each skull arranged with a mad precision that was terrifying to behold.

Many of the skulls were human, or at least humanoid, but among these were others which were certainly not, whose shapes and curves I have tried to forget ever since. In the center of the platform, far above our heads, rose the ancient battle standard of the Macwalters.

i did not click on this thread expecting to see a Myth: The Fallen Lords reference

Pattonesque posted:

what was will be, what will be was
i liked his little guest starting in Stellaris, sounds like they have him doing another kind of guest writer role? that seems... more strange for an RPG then it did for Stellaris

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shumagorath posted:

DA2 came out back when people still had a lot of faith in Bioware. People made all sorts of excuses for its failings. Now that they've repeatedly failed in spectacular ways across several games, the Bioware name has lost a ton of weight. I don't think ME:A has sold nearly well enough for EA to keep giving them so much time and money. So if they aren't releasing actual good games or selling mediocre ones on name brand alone, there's not much left is there?

ME:A being a buggy mess would be fine in EA's book if it actually sold like a triple AAA game. Signs seem to indicate that it did not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

It's a shame ME:A got so many obvious things wrong at the macro level because when it's on it's really on. I especially like the little touches like the safety harnesses not closing if you bring Drack along for Peebee's loyalty mission.

(yeah I put the game down for two months and have been binging today, how could you tell)

Holy poo poo someone used Bing as a verb. :eyepop:

Someone tell Steve Ballmer it finally worked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DancingShade posted:

Are you not familiar with what a binge is?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you not familiar with what a binge is?

Cancel the marketing campaign.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

It's pretty fetch that you think this is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kraken I don't think Bioware has screwed up nearly as much as you're claiming. Everyone raves about non-sellers like Alpha Protocol and Vampire Bloodlines so let's forget about numbers for a moment. DA2 is the only game I straight up didn't buy on premise and reviews and thanks to the DA Keep I don't regret it in the least. ME3, DA:I and ME:A are all ~100 hours of enjoyable gaming for me and the only black spot would be Inquisiton's combat, which I can forgive for the great mission and story design from stuff like the Winter Palace and the alternate future / mage mission. ME3 I played a year after it was released so I'll grant you that, but even fresh off a play of ME2 to change one bit of my imported game it compared favourably. ME:A... yeah the conversation animations are somehow 10x better on Krogan and Turians than the humans and Asari and I'd probably hate it if I'd played Witcher 3 first (still on my stack). The weapon balance is kinda off but I've laughed at the dialog and enjoyed the same things about it I enjoyed in ME2/3 with despite some of the annoying crap from ME1 coming back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's pretty fetch that you think this is a thing.
also that Ballmer is still at Microsoft but yeah that was a typo

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 27, 2017