Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I'm gonna take my country down old brexit road
I'm gonna brexit til I can't no more
I'm gonna take my deal to westminster road
I'm gonna table til I can't no more

Can't nobody tell me nothin
(ohr-deaaah)
Can't nobody tell me nothin
(ohr-deaaah!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fuckin owns that may has to keep begging the eu to let britain re-up their subscription to the union

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

An insane mind posted:

Yes! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

it's going to be ukip meps as far as the eye can see

lol if you still think the uk is capable of good things

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Hey, somebody got fired.

The government’s housing tsar Roger Scruton has been sacked after he made another series of inflammatory remarks about Muslims, as the Tory party's Islamophobia row deepens further.

Scruton, a conservative writer and philosopher, was appointed by housing secretary James Brokenshire in November to chair a new government commission on building “beautiful” homes.

After his appointment, BuzzFeed News revealed how Scruton had claimed Islamophobia and homophobia are “invented” and that homosexuality is not “normal”.

In comments which were strongly defended by Brokenshire and the Tories at the time, Scruton also said there is “no such crime” as date rape and claimed sexual harassment “just means sexual advances made by the unattractive”.

Brokenshire backed Scruton for five months, insisting in November: "It saddens me that someone who has done so much to champion freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of thought should be subject to the kind of misinformed, ill-judged and very personal attacks."

But his position became untenable after he gave an interview to the New Statesman magazine on Wednesday in which he defended Hungary’s right-wing leader Viktor Orban and claimed: “The Hungarians were extremely alarmed by the sudden invasion of huge tribes of Muslims from the Middle East."

Scruton was also quoted as repeating the trope that the billionaire philanthropist George Soros has an “empire” in Hungary. “Anybody who doesn’t think that there’s a Soros empire in Hungary has not observed the facts,” he said.

A government spokesperson said: "Professor Sir Roger Scruton has been dismissed as Chairman of the Building Better Building Beautiful Commission with immediate effect, following his unacceptable comments."

Following his new comments today, the government faced calls from across the political spectrum to remove Scruton from his role.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

too racist for the Tories is a high bar, get that gammon into the racist Olympics

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Happy 21st birthday to the Good Friday Agreement :toot: :toot:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

looks like he couldnt stand up to scruton-y

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are literally going to just keep kicking it down the road and let the next government deal with it arent they

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the word brexiteer makes me think of planeteers from captain planet

enjoy the captain planet ending theme song

im a brexiteer
you can be one too
because leaving the EU
is the thing to do
staying and colluding
is not the way
hear what mister brexit
has to say

THE BREXIT IS YOURS

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

looks like he couldnt stand up to scruton-y

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Building Better Building Beautiful Commission

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elevator Screamer posted:

Happy 21st birthday to the Good Friday Agreement :toot: :toot:

Brits out!!

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
cucked by the eu again

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stop giving them extensions you dumb fucks. Put the knife through their heart

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Stop giving them extensions you dumb fucks. Put the knife through their heart

they want to avoid having British refugees flood the shores of norther Europe

an entire flotilla of olds shouting "WE ARE AN EMPIRE" while begging for Belgian tents to sleep in

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
so, just so we're clear, the EU said

"pass something or you are out April 12th"

the UK didn't pass anything

and now the EU gave them an extension anyway?

:psyduck:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

corbyn should make anime real, but also illegal

BREAKING: new law by emperor corbyn declares anime both illegal and mandatory

when reached for comment, the palace said "go gently caress yourself"

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger scruton lol

boomers will all be dead soon ❤️

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rogers crouton

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Scionix posted:

yeah I dont know what the game is here but i'm bored as hell

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Scionix posted:

Giving them enough rope to hang themselves - also, I assume, the EU still foolishly believes there's a way this can end where Britain doesn't just blame the EU for its own administrative failure

Even now I'm not sure if the EU understands what they're dealing with: a wounded bitter empire incapable of accepting any other state as an equal

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

im gonna do it. im gonna bust on brexit!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Movin' from the EU, gunna get me a 'lot of Brexits

Brexit come from a vote
That was put there by a man
Who hosed a dead pigs, hea-ead

If I had my gammon ways
I've vote Brexit every day
No Deal freedom is what I, say

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Jesus christ this is actually the most embarrassing thing possible.
Just jump off the cliff you cowards. Don't start setting up camp on a ledge halfway down that is gradually crumbling.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

McCloud posted:

Honest serious questions:

Are the tories on purpose sabotaging negotiations with the goal of delaying until the UK has to hard brexit, or are they just inept morons?

If the answer is the former, why? Are they in a position to benefit from this, and if so, how? Wouldn't the irrepairable harm convince the people to vote then out for a generation? Is this also why idiots like Boris are posturing for a hard brexit?

If it's the öatter, why the gently caress do people still vote for these idiots?

If you've been paying any sort of attention, then you should have figured out that the Tories are split on brexit. If they weren't the UK wouldn't be in the position it's in now.

But yes, frustrating the process till the EU runs out of extensions to give is probably the long shot strategy for the hard brexit faction.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Scionix posted:

even though there arent majorities for anything its clear that only a few tories want no deal and the eu doesnt want to be in the position of forcing it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

bitmap posted:

yeah I dont know what the game is here but i'm bored as hell

all this hype and it turns out the most obvious thing happens. rip

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just revoke article 50 and violently suppress the fash and call a general election may you coward

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

McCloud posted:

Are the tories on purpose sabotaging negotiations with the goal of delaying until the UK has to hard brexit, or are they just inept morons?

If the answer is the former, why? Are they in a position to benefit from this, and if so, how? Wouldn't the irrepairable harm convince the people to vote then out for a generation? Is this also why idiots like Boris are posturing for a hard brexit?

If it's the öatter, why the gently caress do people still vote for these idiots?

There are probably many individuals who can make money from plundering existing systems / through investing in companies that will get benefits from deregulation etc.

Like the US meat industry can't wait for the UK to work under less strict rules than the EU so they can start exporting their meat etc.

I don't have any direct evidence (also didn't really look for it), but I would assume many hard brexiteers either know they will get some money from it, or expect a high function on a board of one of those companies when they retire from politics.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

some people just wanna see the world brex

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1116014707041812480

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

McCloud posted:

the tories want no-deal brexit because it lets them pillage the little bit they still haven't looted

as for "Wouldn't the irrepairable harm convince the people to vote then out for a generation?" they don't actually care since they'll just float away on golden parachutes and let corbyn deal with it

however, none of them want to take the blame for it, which is why they're keeping may in power despite all of them hating her

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jose posted:

just revoke article 50 and violently suppress the fash and call a general election may you coward

If May tried to hit herself she'd miss

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Scionix posted:

Nah, getting all your news from twitter and CSPAM has some downsides. All of this was pretty much settled on back in March when May chickened out on the the first Brexit date. The April 12th deadline was for her to confirm and swear that she is going to hold EU election and not pull some shady poo poo. (I guess it's some legal date by which political parties have to register or something and after which you can't pull out of the elections anymore?) Next Brexit stop is after the election.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

https://www.cpb.nl/publicatie/nederlandse-kosten-brexit-door-minder-handel

gently caress off

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Lmao

Edit: I am the centrist saying that the dutch will be hit hard compared to the Irish or French

Martin BadClixx has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Apr 10, 2019

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1116005042631266304
https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1116005538519764992
https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1116005812432928768

hes such a tease

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice: