Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

The proper terminology for these pizza-like excrescences is of course `pizza sandwich'.

only if the crust was a bread before assembling, so french bread pizzas, flatbreads, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

What is a pizza is something that can only confuse people on the internet, meanwhile any 8-year old can answer this question with 100% accuracy.
I am going to start teaching my kids that quiche is called pizza just to piss people off.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can you put a hotdog on a Chicago-style pizza and is it then a sandwich? Asking for a friend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Only if you include pineapple, as that is the one ingredient that disqualifies something from being pizza.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

moller posted:

The main reason the NY/Chicago pizza debate seems silly to me is 95+% of the pizza consumed in Chicago looks like this:

Cracker thin and cut into squares. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago deep dish/stuffed pizza, but it's mostly a tourist/special occasion thing. I mean, could a city really live on pizzas that take nearly an hour to bake?

Cracker crust, cut into squares...."post the worst pizza" thread is in GBS

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Only if you include pineapple, as that is the one ingredient that disqualifies something from being pizza.

You are aware that this turned into a stupid internet meme over the last few months, right?

Personally, though, I do HATE pineapple on pizza. Not nearly as bad as the abominations that our moon-language friends do to pizza, though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

O rly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBvoUA2LnE

Shameful lack of bearnaise and kebab meat though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ya rly, that's terrible.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, yeah, it lacks the basics that makes it a real pizza, banana and curry, and maybe some gorgonzola.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

moller posted:

The main reason the NY/Chicago pizza debate seems silly to me is 95+% of the pizza consumed in Chicago looks like this:

Cracker thin and cut into squares. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago deep dish/stuffed pizza, but it's mostly a tourist/special occasion thing. I mean, could a city really live on pizzas that take nearly an hour to bake?

The pizza might be delicious, but square cuts bring me back to the awful cafeteria pizza of my childhood and thus I hate it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lawnie posted:

Can you put a hotdog on a Chicago-style pizza and is it then a sandwich? Asking for a friend.

Nah, the pizza sauce is too close to ketchup, and this negates either food item.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Goodness, is it pizza argument season already? Time simply flies in this subforum.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Goodness, is it pizza argument season already?

(Looks at watch)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

(Looks at watch)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That one goon who never reported about making the cracker style pizza show yourself

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
In anticipation of this discussion, last night when my son asked for quesadillas, I thought I would give Kenji's flour-tortilla on a cast iron pan pizza a go. It was actually good, although I am torn, was it a taco? a tostada? or an actual pizza? One thing for sure, it was fast!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

rgocs posted:

In anticipation of this discussion, last night when my son asked for quesadillas, I thought I would give Kenji's flour-tortilla on a cast iron pan pizza a go. It was actually good, although I am torn, was it a taco? a tostada? or an actual pizza? One thing for sure, it was fast!

I'm pretty sure it's a Totino's Party Pizza.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there a thread which has more of a Middle Eastern and/or Mediterranean food focus? Or heck, even an African Food thread would be rad as well.

I'm looking for a good recipe for falafel, and flatbread, among other things. I've made falafel a few times and last night they came out pretty great however, the recipe made enough for literally like 2 dozen people, and I dunno, it was missing something.. I might've used too little salt, because even with hummus and tahini and lemon with feta and tons of good veggies, it seems, lacking somehow in either sweetness, or umami maybe.. I made up some spicy tuna to add in which completed it nicely but I must be doing something wrong or missing something.

Also I'd like to find a good recipe for pita or some other good flatbread for sandwiches or hummus or even just a pot of pinto beans.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I have never made falafel, but I bookmarked this recipe for when I do. Hhmm, actually, I'm going to get some dry chickpeas tonight and leave them soaking for tomorrow.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

coyo7e posted:

Is there a thread which has more of a Middle Eastern and/or Mediterranean food focus? Or heck, even an African Food thread would be rad as well.

I'm looking for a good recipe for falafel, and flatbread, among other things. I've made falafel a few times and last night they came out pretty great however, the recipe made enough for literally like 2 dozen people, and I dunno, it was missing something.. I might've used too little salt, because even with hummus and tahini and lemon with feta and tons of good veggies, it seems, lacking somehow in either sweetness, or umami maybe.. I made up some spicy tuna to add in which completed it nicely but I must be doing something wrong or missing something.

Also I'd like to find a good recipe for pita or some other good flatbread for sandwiches or hummus or even just a pot of pinto beans.

Here is a flatbread recipe you could try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfObqgc0TnQ

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

coyo7e posted:

If you can dig in the archives I did Israeli food for an ICSA a while back. The pita recipe I use is this one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Really stupid question. I know that meat has an expiration date on it, but exactly how long does it keep in the fridge? I often don't get to use all the meat I buy by the time the "sell by" date comes around. How worried should I be if a piece of meat (e.g. chicken thigh, beef shank) is a few days past the sell by?

I've only ever really seen the meat get a little brown around the edges, which from what I know is just an oxygen thing.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Smell it

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Lawnie posted:

Smell it

You didn't smell it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Pollyanna posted:

Really stupid question. I know that meat has an expiration date on it, but exactly how long does it keep in the fridge? I often don't get to use all the meat I buy by the time the "sell by" date comes around. How worried should I be if a piece of meat (e.g. chicken thigh, beef shank) is a few days past the sell by?

I've only ever really seen the meat get a little brown around the edges, which from what I know is just an oxygen thing.

It's probably ok, but as stated before get your nose in there and take a big whiff. If it makes you gag, don't eat it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
How interchangeable are scallions and chives, if at all? (E.g. for Kenji's falafel recipe)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

You didn't smell it?

Any time in life you find yourself asking “Should I eat this?” the answer is to smell it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
What can I do with like two pounds of pre-shredded cheese? It's that white and orange cheddar type cheese.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chicken cheese

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Esme posted:

What can I do with like two pounds of pre-shredded cheese? It's that white and orange cheddar type cheese.

Mix it with bisquick and make drop biscuits then cover with melted butter for red lobster rolls

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

rgocs posted:

How interchangeable are scallions and chives, if at all? (E.g. for Kenji's falafel recipe)

Entirely.

Chives tend to be a bit more 'garlicy' and herbal, but, lets be real here, they're all "green onions" for fucks sakes.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I had forgotten that scallions are the same thing as spring onions, which I had in the fridge. But good to know, I have chives growing in my garden but not scallions.

Edit: falafels came out well, not sure if they were supposed to be more moist, but they were good.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 13, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guess that answers my meat question. Thanks! Everything smells fine as far as I can tell.

For vegetables, can I leave them out of their bags when they're in the fridge? I was always told to keep them in the bags, but poke holes in them. IMO, it's easier to just leave them out and keep them in the crisper.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This is a silly question, I know. But growing up I never learned how and when to use spices. The best I can do is tossing some oregano and pepper and basil into some spaghetti.

So is there a thread on how to use spices somewhere, or is it something you pick up along the way of trying new recipes? Like, what the gently caress do I do with cumin? Please help my life is bland and tasteless. I got all these spice bottles and no clue what meat to dump them on.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

value-brand cereal posted:

This is a silly question, I know. But growing up I never learned how and when to use spices. The best I can do is tossing some oregano and pepper and basil into some spaghetti.

So is there a thread on how to use spices somewhere, or is it something you pick up along the way of trying new recipes? Like, what the gently caress do I do with cumin? Please help my life is bland and tasteless. I got all these spice bottles and no clue what meat to dump them on.

the charts on this page aren't bad- https://www.finedininglovers.com/blog/food-drinks/list-of-herbs-and-spices/ (some of the "herbs that heal" stuff may be bullshit, IDK)

really, once you start cooking more stuff and trying new recipes, you start to find combinations that work really well together and that you enjoy and you can start tinkering with recipes

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

You know how taco meat tastes? That's mostly cumin.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I want to start cooking with tofu and want to know if there's any pro tips with preparing it or selecting it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

KildarX posted:

I want to start cooking with tofu and want to know if there's any pro tips with preparing it or selecting it.
I'm no tofu pro, but the one trick I learned that made tofu something else, was to cube it and toss it in some corn starch before pan frying.

Edit: I use the firm tofu kind. The corn starch makes it crunchy and it makes sauce stick to it better.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 13, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

This cookbook is the best basic introduction to cooking with spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

KildarX posted:

There are a million kinds of tofu that are useful for a million different things. In general, if you want to bake, stir-fry, or deep fry it to make it crispy, you want the firmest tofu you can find, and you want to dry it out before you cook it. If you're using tofu for soups or salads (not super common in Western cooking but it's pretty common elsewhere) silken tofu is usually what you go for. The other varieties of tofu are good for all sorts of stuff. This article lists pretty much every kind of tofu you're liable to encounter (except for tofu skin).