Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My wife's replacement 5X came from Google, and I sold it immediately because gently caress that poo poo.

Still need to unload my replacement 6P. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When people in this thread talk about the budget Moto phone they are talking about the Moto G5 Plus. It's the best overall value and it's not gimped like the regular G5. The G5S Plus might be interesting but I don't see any reviews yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

When people in this thread talk about the budget Moto phone they are talking about the Moto G5 Plus. It's the best overall value and it's not gimped like the regular G5. The G5S Plus might be interesting but I don't see any reviews yet.

The regular G5 in some markets has 3GB of RAM, not 2GB. I mean I'd want 4GB but if you're talking double the price then maybe I could live with 3GB.

Here in America we're kind of spoiled because we don't have the G5 at all and we've only got the choice between the G5+ 2GB for $180 and the G5+ with 4GB for $240. At those prices it's a no brainer but get rid of the ad subsidy and throw in the G5 with 3GB and the math breaks down fast.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've just discovered how awful the design of the iPhone is after using the S8 for about 24 hours.

However, at the estimated $1000 price tag the new iPhone isn't going in my bag and likely I will be sticking with the S8. Android is quite nice these days.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

LastInLine posted:

The regular G5 in some markets has 3GB of RAM, not 2GB. I mean I'd want 4GB but if you're talking double the price then maybe I could live with 3GB.

Here in America we're kind of spoiled because we don't have the G5 at all and we've only got the choice between the G5+ 2GB for $180 and the G5+ with 4GB for $240. At those prices it's a no brainer but get rid of the ad subsidy and throw in the G5 with 3GB and the math breaks down fast.

UK Amazon prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MR948BL/ref=twister_B0754KCNVQ?th=1

G5 2GB - £139
G5 3GB - £165
G5S 3GB - £216
G5SPlus 3GB - £300

So is one of these a gimped version and one an overprice-for-the-specs version?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the US, it's actually a hard choice between the G5+ and last year's Moto Z Play right now since a number of places have it for $350. An extra $50 bucks for NFC and INSANE battery life isn't too bad of a deal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Can somebody explain to me why my 5X will every so often, in the middle of podcast, cut the volume and I have to fish it out of my pocket and manually confirm that yes, I do want to make it louder? How can I stop this really annoying feature

In my experience ( :canada:, with my N5), you have only two options to get rid of it:

- root your phone and do whatever it is people who root phones do
- use Bluetooth headphones. It must be an oversight, because I've never had to deal with it since switching from wired. The volume does reset to the default when you power them off though.
The phone's volume won't change, however.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 29, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

How does a ghost use wireless headphones? Bootooth hehe

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

In the US, it's actually a hard choice between the G5+ and last year's Moto Z Play right now since a number of places have it for $350. An extra $50 bucks for NFC and INSANE battery life isn't too bad of a deal.

I really like my Moto Z.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

How does a ghost use wireless headphones? Bootooth hehe

For wired it's best to go with a Frightening plug. :mmmhmm:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehSgE38lOI

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I was all set to watch that but two minutes? lol gtfo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What the gently caress, Samsung?

https://exchangeitup.blogspot.ca/2014/10/exchange-2010-extra-junk-or-unwanted.html

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Replacement 6P's are still going for an ok amount on Swappa. I was able to get $485 for my 128G 6P which isn't too bad.

Still miss the hell out of that device though. If I could trust it to not burn out on me in 6 months I would have kept it but it's build date was a few days older than either of my past devices. (Some 6P's were actually showing build dates as new as April 2017, but I was just getting Oct 2015 devices).

What's interesting is the difference in performance the 6P is that use Samsung Memory/eMMC vs Hynix Memory and Toshiba eMMC. My first 2 were all Samsung and weren't the fastest when it comes to storage, but the one I sold was Hynix/Toshiba and had nearly double the eMMC storage performance and you could feel it. The device felt a lot faster during the bit of time I tinkered with it. That and the new battery had it lasting quite a bit on the battery test I did to confirm it didn't shutdown early and that it was new (106% battery life per AccuBattery).

If you do still have a 6P or 5X and are worried about the Bootloop or have one that is and can't get it replaced, it might be worth checking out the fix for both the 6P and 5X just incase you don't have a replacement ready. I was able to do this on my 6P when it did the Bootloop and it made it normally usable until the replacement came.

What's funny, is with this fix you might have near the same performance with less heat, and better battery.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Bought a Nokia 6 straight from Amazon for the wife.

We're impressed. It has a camera that takes serviceable photos as long as you have some sun, a 3000mAh battery that fast-charges, and an IPS screen that is perfectly usable in daylight.

We paid $230, which is a few bucks cheaper than a G5+. Popped in a T-Mobile SIM and now I'm thinking of tiding myself over with one until the Pixel 2 has its first sale price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spog posted:

UK Amazon prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MR948BL/ref=twister_B0754KCNVQ?th=1

G5 2GB - £139
G5 3GB - £165
G5S 3GB - £216
G5SPlus 3GB - £300

So is one of these a gimped version and one an overprice-for-the-specs version?

The G5 3GB is the only sensible choice there for sure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is the regular G5 Plus not available in the UK?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm blown away by how good my $39 Moto E4 is. The fingerprint reader is fast, the camera is decent, and the battery and storage are replaceable. Highly recommended!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

call to action posted:

I'm blown away by how good my $39 Moto E4 is. The fingerprint reader is fast, the camera is decent, and the battery and storage are replaceable. Highly recommended!

Yeah Android Police really liked it for the price. Their one complaint is that the battery was so large but it lacked any kind of quick charging so it'd take 6 hours to go from empty to full but then it takes a few days to get to empty so I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

UK Amazon prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MR94...B0754KCNVQ?th=1

G5 2GB - £139
G5 3GB - £165
G5S 3GB - £216
G5SPlus 3GB - £300

Mu Zeta posted:

Is the regular G5 Plus not available in the UK?
These are the only ones I am seeing on Amazon.

Also, you can still buy the G4
G4 2GB - £170
G4 Plus - £150

So, you can see why I am a little confused at the price vs features going on here

LastInLine posted:

The G5 3GB is the only sensible choice there for sure.

Are you saying that 2GB is not enough and I need to get 3GB?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

spog posted:

Are you saying that 2GB is not enough and I need to get 3GB?

Not a Moto owner but my Nexus 5x has 2GB of ram and I constantly get app closures when switching between apps. Don't get the 2GB one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Not a Moto owner but my Nexus 5x has 2GB of ram and I constantly get app closures when switching between apps. Don't get the 2GB one.

Interesting.

My G4Play (the replacement phone is for my other half) has only 1GB of memory and the only issue I have is an occasional lag when switching between apps (maybe 1-3 sec) I'm not a power user by any stretch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spog posted:

Interesting.

My G4Play (the replacement phone is for my other half) has only 1GB of memory and the only issue I have is an occasional lag when switching between apps (maybe 1-3 sec) I'm not a power user by any stretch.

For £26 going from 2GB to 3GB is without question worth every shilling. The S isn't worth anything extra at all, the only difference is a marginally better camera (though still not great) and a metal body. £50 more for the S and £135 more for the S+ is highway robbery.

For what it's worth I did find the G5+ at Carphone Warehouse but it looks like in your market it only comes with 3GB of RAM (in the US the options are 16GB/2GB & 32GB/4GB). At £230 I'd pass.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Yeah Android Police really liked it for the price. Their one complaint is that the battery was so large but it lacked any kind of quick charging so it'd take 6 hours to go from empty to full but then it takes a few days to get to empty so I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Are you talking about the Plus? The regular version has a regular size battery. Still works ok so far, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

call to action posted:

Are you talking about the Plus? The regular version has a regular size battery. Still works ok so far, though.

You're right, I was thinking of the Plus. That said, they liked the E4 too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth I did find the G5+ at Carphone Warehouse but it looks like in your market it only comes with 3GB of RAM (in the US the options are 16GB/2GB & 32GB/4GB). At £230 I'd pass.
Setting aside what they really need and what the other models cost, that's below the regular EU price for the 3GB G5+ though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just said gently caress it and grey imported my G5+ from one of those HK camera warehouse sites. Cost me $299 Aud for the 32/4gb dual SIM version with nfc and considering the 16gb is $350 locally, I'm pretty happy about it.

If something does go wrong with it, they are bound by Australian consumer protection law to replace or repair it (if they want to continue trading here) but YMMV.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Every time I see someone post about Australian protection law, I just can't help but think what a lovely place to do business. Can't complain about product cost when everything has to last longer than the rest of the world, and the vendor, not the manufacture is on the hook for it so of course that cost will be passed down to the customer. Also explains why you can't get some things there that you can elsewhere. newegg.com/global/au is freaking barren by comparison for example.

Why instead of making it law, couldn't they just force vendors to offer extended warranty's for a small upcharge rather than force it upon everything?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That's the most American poo poo I ever heard "won't somebody think of the corporations :qq: "

EU has great warranty laws too btw. Get rekt

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea, extremely shameful. Also you can't get poo poo there because it's an isolated barren wasteland that has like three livable spots and no one wants to bother

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Come on now, maybe if we just got rid of all the burdensome regulations maybe then Australia wouldn't be at the rear end end of the planet with a weak currency that conspire make importation of goods disadvantageous? Everyone knows the real problem is consumers having a recourse against being hosed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no.

They have to fix poo poo if it can't last two whole years.

The injustice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 30, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Every time I see someone post about Australian protection law, I just can't help but think what a lovely place to do business. Can't complain about product cost when everything has to last longer than the rest of the world, and the vendor, not the manufacture is on the hook for it so of course that cost will be passed down to the customer. Also explains why you can't get some things there that you can elsewhere. newegg.com/global/au is freaking barren by comparison for example.

Why instead of making it law, couldn't they just force vendors to offer extended warranty's for a small upcharge rather than force it upon everything?

I, too, weep for businesses who are forced to not be poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Pity the billionaire.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had no idea what the hell everyone was talking about for a moment and oh big surprise it's xda guy

It's nice having him on ignore, you should all give it a go

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean, you can be for strong consumer protection laws and be against enforcing them at the vendor level.

Or, you can immediately jump to defend your tribe. Whichever suits you.

I'm super sure the Android Thread is the place to debate it, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

I had no idea what the hell everyone was talking about for a moment and oh big surprise it's xda guy

It's nice having him on ignore, you should all give it a go

Stop telling us who you have ignored. It's like the second time in a week. No one cares and it makes you look petty.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Stop telling us who you have ignored. It's like the second time in a week. No one cares and it makes you look petty.

Will do, but it's really only as it's the second time in a week that dumb gently caress has made an incredibly stupid post :shrug:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just got an OTA for Oreo on my Pixel. What's the build number of the public release that people got from the preview program? Curious if it changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, you can be for strong consumer protection laws and be against enforcing them at the vendor level.

Or, you can immediately jump to defend your tribe. Whichever suits you.

I'm super sure the Android Thread is the place to debate it, though.

Didn't you get the memo? Everything needs tribalism now!

I still haven't gotten my Pixel tribe polo yet though. Come on guys, the other tribes have them!