Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
What about "don't hurt the hegemonizing swarm's feelings" don't people understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is so well done. It's perfectly in character for both Mottom and Gog, to the point it was even predictable, but the stakes are so high that part of you just couldn't believe it would happen.

And then it did.

The Demiurges really are The Worst.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Begemot posted:

I loved that even Jagganoth is shocked. Giant demon skull like "what did she say???" :allears:

obviously it’s hard to read expressions with the current shape and status of his ugly mug but if anything i would think it’s more of a “ah yes this is the opportunity that always comes” and less “oh wow i can’t believe she just blew it”

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, she really did gently caress that one up didn't she.

The rest of the demiurges are going to get a couple of seconds to hurl insults at each other before Jags chaos dunks the lot of them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Turn that ol'e *however high* cubit spear at mottom. Yall already lost, might as well go full tilted

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I shouted at my computer like an ape and fell out of my chair when Gog just left the fight. Very happy that the demiurges absolutely could have pulled through on this one but will fail completely because they couldn't stop being themselves for one drat minute.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The only Chekhov's Gun left to use against Jag that I can think of is Salami Dave busting out a 10-finger technique, but that would be a kinda anticlimactic as an ending.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah there was no way it was going to be anyone other than Mottom screwing that up. Insulting people is basically a lifestyle for her.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If it wasn't Mottom being overtly insulting it would have been Dave being subtly insulting, imo.

Also I should have mentioned this before but I love Incubus's reactions these last couple pages, dude has ridden the highest highs and lowest lows in the span of like 15 seconds.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gog took her ball (of writhing, infinite, endless worms) and went home.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I really think Gog would have done that no matter what everyone else said or didn't say. That bridge is already burned to ash before this whole thing even started, all this does is make it feel like Mottom's fault.

Kind of like a Gygaxian DM who wants to punish the party with a wraith or something, but they put something fun and stupid in front of the players so if they decide to have fun for the next 3 hours instead of resisting the urge to get on Twitter, getting TPKed is their fault rather than DM railroading.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

If it wasn't Mottom being overtly insulting it would have been Dave being subtly insulting, imo.

Also I should have mentioned this before but I love Incubus's reactions these last couple pages, dude has ridden the highest highs and lowest lows in the span of like 15 seconds.

a few people preemptively threw the j'accuse at solomon and it never sat right with me because davey is literally the one who got gog to join in the fight by begging her to honor the pact. it'd be a pretty wild and uncharacteristic 180 if he then said "oh no actually we didn't need you i was just yelling at you to help, as a joke"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah, as boneheaded as this was, from the moment we met Mottom (if not Juggs, or Zoss!) it's been constantly beating into our heads that the demiurges are all trapped in a cage of their own making and they will suck forever because they can't stop being themselves. This is just the logical culmination.

but you do make a good point about soldave being willing to concede the point

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

TwoQuestions posted:

I really think Gog would have done that no matter what everyone else said or didn't say. That bridge is already burned to ash before this whole thing even started, all this does is make it feel like Mottom's fault.

Kind of like a Gygaxian DM who wants to punish the party with a wraith or something, but they put something fun and stupid in front of the players so if they decide to have fun for the next 3 hours instead of resisting the urge to get on Twitter, getting TPKed is their fault rather than DM railroading.
nah, I think Gog would have continued to help if she just got a little respect

Gog was and is still willing to be Your Pal, you just have to let her into your heart*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Incubus is making GBS threads a brick right there. My god Mottom being Mottom just got at least half of them all killed.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Okay. Let me get this out of the way now. I love this update as a callback to 4-76:

In getting over her fear of Jagganoth, Mottom damned the universe because she didn't change. She became the person she once was, yes, but that person fundamentally was not able to bring the change that the multiverse needs. Still a tyrant. One little crack. That's all it took.

Cowcaster posted:

a few people preemptively threw the j'accuse at solomon and it never sat right with me because davey is literally the one who got gog to join in the fight by begging her to honor the pact. it'd be a pretty wild and uncharacteristic 180 if he then said "oh no actually we didn't need you i was just yelling at you to help, as a joke"

Ten Point, Ten Finger Rhetorical Technique: Sike!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, as boneheaded as this was, from the moment we met Mottom (if not Juggs, or Zoss!) it's been constantly beating into our heads that the demiurges are all trapped in a cage of their own making and they will suck forever because they can't stop being themselves. This is just the logical culmination.

but you do make a good point about soldave being willing to concede the point

yeah, and just me thinking about it a little bit more there was a lot of (at that point justified) expectations that david was going to disqualify white chain's hit based on a technicality or gog's needling or just being pissed off out of his mind and it was very gratifying that he straight up didn't. would kind of slam dunk that bit of character growth right in the toilet if he pulled it here

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Perish.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Here it is! The thing we all hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuofaDxa6Oo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TwoQuestions posted:

I think if somebody else had managed to blurt out "Your help was invaluable, thank you" before Mottom did a Mottom, Gog would have actually stuck with them for at least long enough to finish this fight. Out of surprise and delight. It was never gonna happen though and even Gog probably knew that deep down.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think this is less "Who's fault is it?" and more "The pettiness of Kings will ultimately snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"

EDIT: Basically, something was going to give eventually. This happened to be it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 6, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

But on the contrary! I love it. It would be far too trite a hero's journey for this to end with all the demiurges teaming up to beat the Invincible Bad Guy. This needs to get way weirder before the end. We're breaking infinity here!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

This is so well done. It's perfectly in character for both Mottom and Gog, to the point it was even predictable, but the stakes are so high that part of you just couldn't believe it would happen.

And then it did.

The Demiurges really are The Worst.

:emptyquote:

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

lol that fisheye kubrick stare was good

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

But on the contrary! I love it. It would be far too trite a hero's journey for this to end with all the demiurges teaming up to beat the Invincible Bad Guy. This needs to get way weirder before the end. We're breaking infinity here!

Yeah if they had all teamed up properly and actually killed him, it wouldn't make much sense at all in the context of the story.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Seizon posted:

lol that fisheye kubrick stare was good

Yeah, I really liked that bit. It kind of reminds me of something...anime-ish? Damned if I can remember what though.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mottom still worst Demiurge

what if Gog actually survived the previous iterations tho

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

YaketySass posted:

I want this to be the truth now

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

edit: wrong thread

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Idk it seems like what happens is gog has been for real defeated by the new baby king before the babby inevitably wipes trying to take on jagganoth, then zoss gets grumpy and hits reset on the cosmic nes and reloads with a different code on the game genie

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

YaketySass posted:

I mean, Incubus might be one of the previous heirs that sort of remembered things after the loop reset.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
"If you wanted Gog to help you should have been prepared to compliment her on the spot with every last ounce of your might."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daktar posted:

Yeah, I really liked that bit. It kind of reminds me of something...anime-ish? Damned if I can remember what though.

It shows up a couple of times in Evangelion when certain characters are absolutely losing their poo poo.

Ditch posted:

The only Chekhov's Gun left to use against Jag that I can think of is Salami Dave busting out a 10-finger technique, but that would be a kinda anticlimactic as an ending.

I mean, it's not like that would kill Jagganoth, so I'd be fine with him using it just so the recoil can blow him and the other demiurges back to Rayuba before they run out of oxygen.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

rannum posted:

tfw someone starts poo poo in the group chat

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

YaketySass posted:

Nah, Gog is dumb as hell. She thinks she'll survive this because she's thinking "dumb idiot has to kill everything in the universe to kill me" when that is explicitly the Red God's plan.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah but if she dies last she also gets the last laugh so win win

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Darth Walrus posted:

It shows up a couple of times in Evangelion when certain characters are absolutely losing their poo poo.

A very stupid version also shows up in the first Patlabor movie

Garbage movie, a 90 minute slideshow of all of Kill Six Billion Demons's pages would be a better movie.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

Nah, Gog is dumb as hell. She thinks she'll survive this because she's thinking "dumb idiot has to kill everything in the universe to kill me" when that is explicitly the Red God's plan.

I agree with this, Gog is King Idiot here. Gog being Gog she might've done the heel turn even if they'd praised her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

A very stupid version also shows up in the first Patlabor movie

Garbage movie, a 90 minute slideshow of all of Kill Six Billion Demons's pages would be a better movie.
Shhhhh Droyer will hear you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah but if she dies last she also gets the last laugh so win win

She'll have literally no one to gloat over, and her executioner won't care.