Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Tiggum posted:

Does what?

You know, privacy curtains. God, what a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Strudel Man posted:

But it's a statement about the actual argument, not the person.

It's a statement about the argument, but not of the argument. It doesn't address any points made.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Inco posted:

It's a statement about the argument, but not of the argument. It doesn't address any points made.

an argument is not a hominid

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

InediblePenguin posted:

an argument is not a hominid

The implicit message behind it is consistently "how can we believe you when you use ad hominems?", attacking the character of the arguer over the content of the argument itself.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I made up Uncle Bob and his racism.

Its a straw man, you dummy. <--- (ad hominem)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

The implicit message behind it is consistently "how can we believe you when you use ad hominems?", attacking the character of the arguer over the content of the argument itself.

No, it literally does not belong to the family Hominidae.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the term y'all are looking for is non sequitur. :smaug:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah you're right

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
This entire derail is an ad hominem deus ex machina lingua franca fart

Am I latining correctly?

edit: LoB, we need you.

PizzaProwler has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jun 4, 2017

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The ladies love it when I tell them about my incredible antivirus software

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CainsDescendant posted:

This is my state senator.

I represent my costituents, except the ones I don't like they can gently caress right the hell off

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I've never seen a person who knows less about computers than this person.

E: And I've legit seen a computer part explode, all that happens is a bit of white-hot metal kicks off something somewhere and all the lights in your house dim for a split second.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/871128313749745664

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't understand the logic of people who post this stuff.

"I'm just saying gays shouldn't be allowed to teach kids"

"that's a bit homphobic, Uncle bob"

"Won another one." :smug:

I think it's really just that they honestly believe they're not racist / homophobic / whatever. They sincerely believe that gay people would just teach kids to be gay (using your example) because that's what gay people do. They don't hate the gays, they just don't want them teaching their kids to be gay. To them it's completely logical and there's no way it could be problematic; I don't want my kid to be gay because I want grandkids, so I don't want gays teaching my kid. They never consider the fact that they're making a massive prejudiced assumption, because of course the gays will teach kids to be gay! So then when they see someone call them homophobic because of that, they see that person just name-calling instead of actually arguing. To them it's not homophobic at all, it's just the right thing to do.

You can also probably replace "gays teaching kids" with any given thing that these kinda people argue against.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Elfgames posted:

i know it's a joke and this is pedantic as gently caress but i am a goon. The bible actually says that the wine jesus made at the wedding was the good poo poo, like so good it improved the husband's father in law's opinion of him because he brought out the good wine in the second half of the party.

Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to do it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it's really just that they honestly believe they're not racist / homophobic / whatever. They sincerely believe that gay people would just teach kids to be gay (using your example) because that's what gay people do. They don't hate the gays, they just don't want them teaching their kids to be gay. To them it's completely logical and there's no way it could be problematic; I don't want my kid to be gay because I want grandkids, so I don't want gays teaching my kid. They never consider the fact that they're making a massive prejudiced assumption, because of course the gays will teach kids to be gay! So then when they see someone call them homophobic because of that, they see that person just name-calling instead of actually arguing. To them it's not homophobic at all, it's just the right thing to do.

You can also probably replace "gays teaching kids" with any given thing that these kinda people argue against.

You are right, but I would also add, that these people know that being 'homophobic', 'racist', etc. are bad things to be. But they also truly believe that , to use your example. a gay teacher will teach their students to be gay and is more likely to be a paedophile. They truly believe this. But because they know that they themselves are good people, and that being homophobic is a bad thing, then therefore that belief is not homophobic.

And so when someone calls them homophobic, all they hear is that someone just called them an insult, which can't be true because as said before they know themselves to be good people.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

The ladies love it when I tell them about my incredible antivirus software

I wanted to make a joke about condoms, but they're really more hard-wear :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This might be the opposite of idiots on social media? Anyway, click through to this thread where people think up more and more elaborate ways in which Rep. Maxine Waters must have assaulted Michael Tracy to elicit the response he's had to her shoving he hand out of her face.

https://twitter.com/zandywithaz/status/871218166868746240

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

http://imgur.com/gallery/y4in9

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everyone about to jump up and post about how you don't like social media either: YOU'RE ON SOCIAL MEDIA RIGHT NOW.

Or is this anti-social media?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everyone about to jump up and post about how you don't like social media either: YOU'RE ON SOCIAL MEDIA RIGHT NOW.

All media is anti-social now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Plom Bar posted:

I'm pretty sure the explicit message is that an ad hominem is not a persuasive argument.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

I'm pretty sure the explicit message is that an ad hominem is not a persuasive argument.

Of course you would say that. :rolleyes:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It feels like an argument a goon would make.

Although I find it hilarious that all the anti-social nerds I saw in schools growing up are now anti-social adults with jobs. It really reminds me of that kid who'd go "Well I don't watch TV because it's too dumb for me" but watches anime and plays bad video games.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Of course you would say that. :rolleyes:
HOW COULD YOU :cry:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

HOW COULD YOU :cry:

They don't call me Absurd Adhominem for nothing. :wink:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Well, I got news for ya from the Psychology department: Most people do not give a single solitary poo poo about persuasive arguments. Folks'll swear up and down that they do, but the vast, vast majority of people are far more persuaded by charisma and showmanship. The accusation of "You're using an ad hominem" is most frequently used as argumentum ad logicam, or the bad reasons fallacy. To accuse some one of an ad hominem without also logically demonstrating how the use said ad hominem invalidates the conclusion is also a fallacious argument, and frequently lobbied as an attack against the arguer's character, i.e. "You're too stupid to argue properly".

But Lord Holy Christ Almighty gently caress Me Sideways, we are so far removed from the point of whatever we were previously talking about because as soon as some one starts lobbing around logical fallacy accusations every discussion becomes one great big pissing contest over who stayed awake the longest in Philosophy 101.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I made up Uncle Bob and his racism.

Its a straw man, you dummy. <--- (ad hominem)

That's not an ad hominem that's just an insult.

Which can be a perfectly valid conclusion to an argument, if you can show that they are in fact a dummy.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

She talks about London Bridge falling down, but she ain't a fair lady.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Shaving rash is technical misandry.
But the nature of my work I got attacked.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Katie Hopkins and Milo are converging

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

CainsDescendant posted:

This is my state senator.

How did we get to this point, where our representatives act like this? Serious question.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

How did we get to this point, where our representatives act like this? Serious question.

Well it all started when North America was colonized by literally the most terrible religious crazies available in Britain.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nice ✊👍ad 😈😈😈 hominem 🙅‍♂️🙅‍♀️🙅‍♂️🙅‍♀️attack👊🔫🔪💣 👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌🤳

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Dammit I was just going to post this! It's on the front page of Imgur right now with the title "Schneider gets it".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it's really just that they honestly believe they're not racist / homophobic / whatever.

Something to add to this: for a long time, social media was dominated by leftist ideals, and expression of discriminating views was usually quickly piled upon by disapproving reactions. Now that everyone who has a phone is on the internet, there's a lot more voices speaking out said discriminating views, and the people holding those views feel emboldened and strengthened in their position: "hey, Bob and Jenny thinks gays don't deserve basic human rights either, guess my opinion's not so unpopular after all. Time to double down!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This might be the opposite of idiots on social media? Anyway, click through to this thread where people think up more and more elaborate ways in which Rep. Maxine Waters must have assaulted Michael Tracy to elicit the response he's had to her shoving he hand out of her face.

https://twitter.com/zandywithaz/status/871218166868746240

Similarly:
https://twitter.com/theshrillest/status/871210802455265280

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"When I speak to my fellow millionaires on the large farm Adam Sandler bought us all so we could run free..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Strudel Man posted:

No, it's not a logical argument. People are persuaded by it all the time because they don't care about arguments that would score high on a debate team.