Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

my kinda ape posted:

This company has over 300,000 feedback on Gunbroker (by far the most volume of any seller I've seen and not just some ancient fudd) so they probably do have the money to sue me if they wished. I think the people saying they probably sent the gun as a reaction to the chargeback are probably right. It's possible they have so much going on that someone tried to figure out why the gun had been sitting there so long and looked up the email I'd sent with my license and just sent it without realizing the transaction had been disputed but I think the former is more likely. I'm just gonna go in and talk to my bank this afternoon if I have time and see what they think.

Having the money to sue you and actually bothering are two different things, if the purchase was under like $2000 there's no way they can use their own lawyer's time and recover more than they spent. There's no harm in waiting to see if they ever even send a nastygram, and more likely they send it all to a collections company to nag you, which these days are easier to ignore than ever.

At my company I stiffed an ISP for $30,000 because they ignored my cancellation request (they acknowledged they received it but forgot to shut it off and later tried to say I didn't use the right terminology so it didn't count; our general counsel agreed I was in the right) but long story short I programmed our phone system's IVR to recognize their bill collectors and place them into a hold queue that never actually ends. Now it's been 6 years and they're passed the statute of limitations to sue us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I just want to repeat myself because lots of people don't understand how credit disputes work. The gun merchant didn't lose any money. They at most received notification (potentially by snail mail) that a charge was disputed, and they likely replied with proof of delivery. The money OP is seeing is just a credit from the bank and will vanish when the dispute closes. This can take a long time, which is why he should just tell them he received the item so they can close the dispute faster, but it doesn't change that he'll pay his bank back eventually.

I know Lowtax years ago was claiming that malicious goons were buying forums poo poo and then stealing his money by issuing chargebacks, but the dude is full of poo poo and that's not how chargebacks work. The banks just credit the cardholder and only take money from the merchants after they investigate and only under a narrowly defined set of circumstances. Buyer's regret is NOT one of these circumstances. They all involve some sort of fraud.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Having the money to sue you and actually bothering are two different things, if the purchase was under like $2000 there's no way they can use their own lawyer's time and recover more than they spent.

Some lawyers are paid salaries rather than hourly, which makes this kind of advice less useful

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I know Lowtax years ago was claiming that malicious goons were buying forums poo poo and then stealing his money by issuing chargebacks, but the dude is full of poo poo and that's not how chargebacks work. The banks just credit the cardholder and only take money from the merchants after they investigate and only under a narrowly defined set of circumstances. Buyer's regret is NOT one of these circumstances. They all involve some sort of fraud.
This is not accurate as far as the forums store is concerned.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You can still turn a salary into an hourly rate and decide if that's a good use of their time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Companies will fight small cases sometimes in order to not create precedent . Or sometime the people in the company will personally hate you and do it for spite

Spite is a powerful motivator

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

homullus posted:

Some lawyers are paid salaries rather than hourly, which makes this kind of advice less useful

Yeah time is still time no matter how you're paid. Having your in house lawyer deal with some stupid bs rather than dealing with something more important doesn't really matter how he's paid.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

You can still turn a salary into an hourly rate and decide if that's a good use of their time.

Which is a better use of time, paying [computed hourly rate] and earning nothing, or paying [computed hourly rate] and earning some amount of money? Yes, clearly, there are situations where the task(s) before your salaried lawyer are worth more than the $2000 case, and the task(s) will constitute full-time work. There are also times when the lawyer is not fully occupied, or when the company simply has a policy of vigorous pursuit with these things. The takeaway here is that there is no amount so small that you are "safe."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For example companies will fight products liability cases tooth and nail many times way way beyond whatever the actual verdict exposure is

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is not accurate as far as the forums store is concerned.

That's interesting then. How does it work for the forums? Is the difference because the forum doesn't have a physical product that is delivered? Everything I read about disputes described it as a process that usually ends with the bank saying "tough luck" unless active fraud has occured.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's interesting then. How does it work for the forums? Is the difference because the forum doesn't have a physical product that is delivered? Everything I read about disputes described it as a process that usually ends with the bank saying "tough luck" unless active fraud has occured.

You just send the bank the user's post history and they freeze their account.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Spite is a powerful motivator

For further reading, see any family law case ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

For further reading, see any family law case ever.

From the man's side. I didnt see many women motivated solely by spite. Maybe it happens.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

From the man's side. I didnt see many women motivated solely by spite. Maybe it happens.

Plenty of women are spite driven as well. It’s not something unique to one gender.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was saying specifically in family law .

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh yeah that almost never happens :rolleyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think you are in such a hurry to zealously defend men that you have neglected to read my words carefully

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Even for a physical store, Amex at least pulls the money from the merchant immediately. I do think the poster is going to lose the dispute unless the merchant fails to reply, but there really isn't any harm in waiting to see what happens if they want to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Chargebacks result in a fee and too many of them can get our merchant account suspended, even if we win the dispute. It also takes way more effort to dispute one than it does to cause one. What do you mean by "active fraud"? Anyone can claim they didn't actually purchase something and a charge appeared. I have no proof that the person typing the name and address at the keyboard is actually the person whose card it is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zero VGS posted:

At my company I stiffed an ISP for $30,000 because they ignored my cancellation request (they acknowledged they received it but forgot to shut it off and later tried to say I didn't use the right terminology so it didn't count; our general counsel agreed I was in the right) but long story short I programmed our phone system's IVR to recognize their bill collectors and place them into a hold queue that never actually ends. Now it's been 6 years and they're passed the statute of limitations to sue us.

If this is true you are truly a hero

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I need some "how to pick a lawyer" advice.

My sister-in-law's husband is probably going to leave her. He's a totally useless dipwad, she was pretty awful to him, both of them are terrible communicators, both are emotionally stunted. It's a sad situation with plenty of blame to go around. There are complications - they have an elementary-aged child, and she's seriously physically disabled (wheelchair, progressive neurological disorder). It's unclear what the husband's future plans are. He seems to want a no-lawyer, no-expenses divorce; frankly I suspect he sort of hopes he can just leave and the whole marriage will just go away in the manner of Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy. I'm not sure what his custody intentions are. Their assets are modest at best. Still, while I'm not looking to put the screws to this guy out of spite I would like to see that my sister-in-law and nephew at least don't get abandoned without a dime when she has no income due to physical inability to work.

Obviously, this will in fact require a lawyer. The sister-in-law is as passive as a blanket, so it's likely that she will sit around as things fall apart unless someone in the family (unfortunately, me) can basically hand her a specific to-do list.

So here's the question: how does one go about picking a divorce lawyer who is competent, not sleazy, not stupendously expensive, not going to goad the spouses into a protracted and unnecessarily bitter dispute in order to enrich said lawyer, etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They absolutely need lawyers due to what may be (may be ) life time child support issues

My comment is made with Pa law in mind.

The way to pick a lawyer is get one from the county the marriage is in (sometimes a hard question ) and just make like 3 appointments to get a feeling. If things are geographically complicated go find a lawyer in the town the client is in. The important aspect is as much as possible you want your family law attorney to know the judge who will be on the case. This is important. Family law attorneys should not charge anything or very much (100$) to sit with you for 30 mins to tell you what they can do. Some lawyers are very impressive people and you can tell quickly they’d do a good job

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would be pretty unethical for a lawyer to needlessly extend a dispute in order to rack up billables. I mean I know it happens but in small or medium town situations … I mean I never came across a notable situation of it in many years of family law. Lawyers don’t do family law for $$$$$$$ except at the high end which you are not.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Like Euph said, just meet with a few and get a feel.

The other thing you can do is call a criminal law attorney, or someone else who does not do family law and ask them who they would recommend for family law.

Attorneys know who is good and who is poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To be clear, the sister-in-law is the one with disabilities, right, and not the kid?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last noun before she is referring to the child

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

I need some "how to pick a lawyer" advice.

My sister-in-law's husband is probably going to leave her. He's a totally useless dipwad, she was pretty awful to him, both of them are terrible communicators, both are emotionally stunted. It's a sad situation with plenty of blame to go around. There are complications - they have an elementary-aged child, and she's seriously physically disabled (wheelchair, progressive neurological disorder). It's unclear what the husband's future plans are. He seems to want a no-lawyer, no-expenses divorce; frankly I suspect he sort of hopes he can just leave and the whole marriage will just go away in the manner of Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy. I'm not sure what his custody intentions are. Their assets are modest at best. Still, while I'm not looking to put the screws to this guy out of spite I would like to see that my sister-in-law and nephew at least don't get abandoned without a dime when she has no income due to physical inability to work.

Obviously, this will in fact require a lawyer. The sister-in-law is as passive as a blanket, so it's likely that she will sit around as things fall apart unless someone in the family (unfortunately, me) can basically hand her a specific to-do list.

So here's the question: how does one go about picking a divorce lawyer who is competent, not sleazy, not stupendously expensive, not going to goad the spouses into a protracted and unnecessarily bitter dispute in order to enrich said lawyer, etc.

It seems like you're trying to lead a horse to water.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

To be clear, the sister-in-law is the one with disabilities, right, and not the kid?

euphronius posted:

The last noun before she is referring to the child

I apologize for the sloppy writing - the sister-in-law is disabled. While the condition is hereditary, it's autosomal recessive and the child is unaffected. That's why my instant advice was "no you REALLY REALLY don't want to try this alone" since spousal and child support are likely to have very serious implications.

The state is Georgia. I don't live there, so more or less I'm just passing on advice. Thanks especially for the advice about the lawyer being familiar with the judge, and the idea of asking a non-family-law attorney for recommendations. No slight to anyone intended with the "someone who won't drag out the case for fees" remark; I'm sure that's very rare and mostly confined to spiteful spouses with huge piles of money. You do occasionally hear the second-hand horror story, so if it was a thing I wanted to make sure they avoid it.

e:

pentyne posted:

It seems like you're trying to lead a horse to water.

Very possibly. Still, it's family and I hate for the kid to suffer more than they're already going to. So I am in fact going to show that horse where the creek is, and where it goes from there will at least involve a clear conscience on my part.

Captain von Trapp fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 26, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The state is Georgia.

Lotta different counties ranging from one stoplight county seats to large cities. The “local lawyer” is going to be even more important in say Mitchell County than Fulton or DeKalb.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

They're in Forsyth, but they didn't get married there. Does this make a difference? Beats me. Beats them too, I'm sure. One more reason to tell her to find someone who knows the answer, perhaps some kind of person who knows about the law, who maybe even makes a living on knowing about the law...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

They're in Forsyth, but they didn't get married there. Does this make a difference? Beats me. Beats them too, I'm sure. One more reason to tell her to find someone who knows the answer, perhaps some kind of person who knows about the law, who maybe even makes a living on knowing about the law...

Venue for a divorce case is set in the Georgia constitution. She should talk to a family lawyer in Forsyth county. Hell, maybe these guys (disclaimer: I know nothing about them): https://www.siemonlawfirm.com/cumming-divorce-lawyers/

quote:

SECTION II.

VENUE

Paragraph I. Divorce cases. Divorce cases shall be tried in the county where the defendant resides, if a resident of this state; if the defendant is not a resident of this state, then in the county in which the plaintiff resides; provided, however, a divorce case may be tried in the county of residence of the plaintiff if the defendant has moved from that same county within six months from the date of the filing of the divorce action and said county was the site of the marital domicile at the time of the separation of the parties, and provided, further, that any person who has been a resident of any United States army post or military reservation within the State of Georgia for one year next preceding the filing of the petition may bring an action for divorce in any county adjacent to said United States army post or military reservation.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A couple of my neighbors and I have been informally discussing having a logger come in and clear out our land so we can get our mountain views back. I have about 4 acres to clear, while other 2 have about 10 acres each. Is this a bad idea?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

daslog posted:

A couple of my neighbors and I have been informally discussing having a logger come in and clear out our land so we can get our mountain views back. I have about 4 acres to clear, while other 2 have about 10 acres each. Is this a bad idea?

Are you going to replant those trees anywhere? If not, you're reducing the already shrinking carbon sink that we have to help stave off climate change just so you can have a better view.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you going to replant those trees anywhere? If not, you're reducing the already shrinking carbon sink that we have to help stave off climate change just so you can have a better view.

Yeah, it's definitely this guy's fault for logging an acre, and totally not the fault of companies like British Petroleum, dumping millions of gallons of oil into the gulf because they are lazy.

10 companies are responsible for 70% of global emissions, but you want to blame some poster who wants to see a mountain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

daslog posted:

There are definitely states, cities, and counties that limit your ability to remove trees from your land. A logging company might know the laws, and might tell you, but they also might not, so probably check on that.
Also, strongly suggest you speak with experts on this, as roots systems and what not can be holding up a hill, for example.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

pseudanonymous posted:

10 companies are responsible for 70% of global emissions, but you want to blame some poster who wants to see a mountain.

It's supposedly 100 companies, not 10.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...-climate-change

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

How are we poor, destitute attorneys supposed to make any money if you and your neighbors are working out shared issues reasonably like functioning adults? What the gently caress is wrong with you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He asked whether it was a good or bad idea. I asked for further information to evaluate.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is it a good idea or bad idea for me to burn my neighbor's house down

Well, depending on your neighbor's carbon footprint, and whether or not he is able to escape the burning house...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

nm posted:

There are definitely states, cities, and counties that limit your ability to remove trees from your land. A logging company might know the laws, and might tell you, but they also might not, so probably check on that.
Also, strongly suggest you speak with experts on this, as roots systems and what not can be holding up a hill, for example.

Aside from preventing you from removing trees that are preventing a landslide or are homes to endangered species, what other reasons might the city/state/county have for preventing you from cutting down your own trees on your own property?