Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My dinner tonight:

Some leftover pasta
Bits of chicken and potato
One cracker
Two thirds of a gingerbread man
Several gruffalo biscuits
A handful of grapes
Three pieces of mandarin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yes I love toddler tapas too

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why does my daughter have to detour through angry denial before admitting she wants something?

She's going out with mommy after yelling for ten minutes she didn't want to go.

Then decides she does very much want to go when mommy steps out the door.

Then mommy asked if she wanted to bring an apple juice box with her, just in case. She DOESN'T. Rather, she wants a drink to go, but NOT apple juice, the one we have.

Decides she absolutely does want apple juice when I start filling her water bottle.

I shudder to think what's happening after they leave, but that's out of my hands.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

my lad ate 80% of a bran muffin just before we took him to the nanny share, good luck glad it's not at our house this week

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My turning one in four days baby has learned his first word: kakka (poo)!

First as in, it reliably means some specific thing. He knows gong-gong (our cat, Gordon and also anything that moves or is very interesting), äiti (mom, but also dad), auto (car and also everything outside, including birds and the sky) and 'tsiu (achoo) but as you can see those are more vague. Kakka means just poo, and he's learned to say that when he needs to go the potty. He also decided to poo only in the potty, not in the diaper unless emergency. It's pretty cool! We decided to try potty after our childcare nurse suggested trying it out and it has exceeded our low expectations.

...He also realized this week that if he says kakka he'll get out of boring situations (eating, putting on clothes) and gets to chill at the potty without pants looking at his potty time pictures.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Good for you. My oldest is 3.5 and barely pooping in the potty.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My 4 year old now sits on the potty with a diaper on to poop. Progress…..?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My 3 year old will now tell us he is pooping rather than lying about it. But continues to hide and grunt and tell us to look away rather than use a potty.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Should not have wished for the 1yo to slow down and give us 5 minutes of peace every once in a while.

A high fever is a good way to park a kid on their butt. Hoping it’s a mild junk virus and not flu/covid/etc. Tests came back negative but we caught it super early on.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The “Days Since Last Illness” sign has been at 0 for a month. We had a cold, we had diarrhea, now we get colds and diarrhea at the same time. Amazing stuff.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Grandparents came to visit this weekend so now toddler is spontaneously throwing up.

No fever, no symptoms, just three vomits so far this morning.

The kicker is we decided to finally buy a new couch so every time we hear “hUrgH” we sprint over and yank him off of it. Fortunately it’s got all removable fabric so if he does soak one it’s not a huge deal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Throw down a blanket or two.

We’re at a great wolf lodge and we have hit the next milestone of them getting big - they are all tall enough to ride any water park ride without supervision. And we can just let them run around wherever they want, they come back and check in occasionally.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The General is a good movie about trains. Old, black and white, bit of slapstick.

Pity the hero is a confederate, but that knowledge only comes up in intertitles so I just read it aloud differently.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Has anyone had a toddler that’s terrified of getting on a pedal-less bicycle?

My kiddo has never been afraid of anything but for some reason this thing terrifies her.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

The kicker is we decided to finally buy a new couch so every time we hear “hUrgH” we sprint over and yank him off of it. Fortunately it’s got all removable fabric so if he does soak one it’s not a huge deal.

We paid the premium for the leather couch upgrade. Being able to casually wipe it down with paper towels is totally worth the 20% premium + $15 box of leather wipes or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chillmatic posted:

My kiddo has never been afraid of anything but for some reason this thing terrifies her.

My kid fell off hers (not even a bad fall) and hasn't touched it in over a year

She loves her scooter though

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chillmatic posted:

My kid's a little chicken poo poo and would never do it. We got him a normal bike with training wheels when he turned 4 and it's a smash hit though.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

We paid the premium for the leather couch upgrade. Being able to casually wipe it down with paper towels is totally worth the 20% premium + $15 box of leather wipes or whatever.

I get too sweaty and sticky for leather couches. Gotta peel me off em. South Florida is not the right climate for leather.

Kid has moved to the clear liquid vomit and couch has taken several direct hits, but it’s wiping off pretty easily so far. Trying to keep him topped up with pedialyte. Throwing up every 60 minutes like clockwork. Wife’s blood sugar also dropping every 120 minutes so it’s been fun so far. Grandparents are just staying out of the way; although they did get the pedialyte and lunch for us.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chillmatic posted:

My kid was fine with it indoors but outside took few tries to get going. Maybe looking at it inside would work?

A bicycle themed episode of her preferred kids show might also help.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Thanks for advice on the bike, everyone. Gonna try all this out.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Chillmatic posted:

Is she scared of falling off?

My oldest never took to a balance bike, she went straight from a trike to a pedal bike, and she was terrified of falling off. What worked with her was making her fall off. Lots of times. Into grass. We made it into a game, she’d fall off as silly as she could. The idea was that she’s going to fall on her bike, everyone falls, so she needs to learn to fall safely. This got her to take the training wheels off, and she was great from there.

Youngest is 2 and went straight to a balance bike, she never really used a trike. This year we’re trying her on her sister’s pedal bike when her sister gets a new one.

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 25, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suggested to my wife that she take a nice shower.

I literally had to pull my daughter and son off her, they were dragging on her while she tried to climb the stairs.

Mommy is all stinky and grumpy right now, what's the huge appeal!? Give her a few minutes!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

They like her stinky and grumpy!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
If she's not stinky and grumpy, how will they recognize her?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Is your butt clean yet? Can you wipe your butt? Daddy, stop going poop! Stand up and get a wiiiipe!

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
I have taken my pacifier out, thrown it across the floor, and now I am screaming like a banshee because I do not have a pacifier.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When did you all get your kid’s first haircut? Or did you/do you cut it yourself?

My boy’s hair is super cute since it’s curly, but it’s definitely getting a bit long, especially in back.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

I have taken my pacifier out, thrown it across the floor, and now I am screaming like a banshee because I do not have a pacifier.

As soon as my little dude turned 10 weeks he decided that night time routine would evolve into a 20 minute game of screaming for the pacifier, then immediately taking both hands and rubbing them all over his face, then crying when he knocks it out. Also now apparently there's no more daytime eating. Half of his calories will be had right before bed and then the other half over multiple night wakeups. During the daytime he'll be lucky to down 3 oz in a sitting. Usually its 1-2 oz and then screaming because he's bored. Forgot about all the cool brainworms they develop around 3 months.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I took my son to the salon for the first time when he was one. He was born with a full head of hair and I had to trim his bangs frequently, and I was tired of him looking like a baby Anton Chigur. I am back to cutting his hair myself now though since apparently going to the salon is like torture for the little guy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife finally got frustrated with the hyper curly early baby hair on our girl and cut about 3-4" off at around 15 months. That solved a lot of curl/tangle problems for us, as her hair straightened out dramatically after the 9 month mark. We did another cut around 2.5. Kind of looking forward to the next hair cut as all the curl will be gone and combing hair in the morning won't be a struggle anymore

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Eeyo posted:

When did you all get your kid’s first haircut? Or did you/do you cut it yourself?

I've used clippers on my 5yo son since he was 2 or so (4 on the sides and back / 8 on top). He asked to go to the salon recently, so we did. He was fine with it, but he said he likes my cut better. So I guess I'll keep doing clippers until he asks to go to the salon again.

We trimmed our 8yo daughter's hair ourselves until she started Kindergarten. Now we take her to the salon before school starts to cut it short and then let it grow for the year. I'm guessing she'll have stronger opinions on hairstyle soon-ish, which might make us go to the salon more often.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

They make washable cloth couch liners/incontinence guards for couches and twin beds and let me tell you they are fantastic to use when the kids aren’t feeling good. It blocks liquids unlike a towel but isn’t awful to sit on, like puppy pads. Would recommend, one of the better $15 parent buys.

Also get some puppy pads or hospital drapes to place under The Puke Bowl.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
loving croup. Went to the hospital at 1am with a toddler coughing their lungs up. Get there, all symptoms stop, wait an hour, doctor says nothing wrong. Go home and coughing slowly starts building again with increasing intensity.

"Cold air makes the symptoms go away (temporarily)" supposedly.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A ten second clip of Detective Pikachu has shattered the progress of two months of conversations about reality vs. make-believe...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

BadSamaritan posted:

The Puke Bowl.

A smaller movie theater chain in our town has a “buy the bucket, $5 for refills for the year” deal. It’s the biggest popcorn size at the theater, so perfect for losing your guts into. They have the year printed on them for obvious reasons, so I took last year’s and put it in the laundry room upstairs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

remigious posted:

baby Anton Chigur.

That’s easily the funniest thing I’ve read all day, thanks.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Goffer posted:

loving croup. Went to the hospital at 1am with a toddler coughing their lungs up. Get there, all symptoms stop, wait an hour, doctor says nothing wrong. Go home and coughing slowly starts building again with increasing intensity.

"Cold air makes the symptoms go away (temporarily)" supposedly.

Cold, humid air absolutely does make the symptoms stop - it’s a thing. They’ll slowly return if you go back to a warm dry place as you discovered. During croup season we bundle up real warm but then open a big window or just sit/sleep outside. You can do a steamy shower too but IMO it’s not as effective as cold air. I had a kid turning purple-lipped in the shower go back to almost normal within minutes when outside.

If they’re still bad today your pediatrician can probably provide a dose of steroid since the ER didn’t though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Tell me about your vacation fails.

Yesterday flew to Orlando, youngest got (coincidentally) pretty sick on the airplane. Ended up staying at the airport hotel where she only got worse, and took the first flight out in the morning back home.

I'd rate the Orlando airport hotel vacation a 6/10.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Tell me about your vacation fails.

Yesterday flew to Orlando, youngest got (coincidentally) pretty sick on the airplane. Ended up staying at the airport hotel where she only got worse, and took the first flight out in the morning back home.

I'd rate the Orlando airport hotel vacation a 6/10.

Spent 5 days in a Chicago AirBNB while toddler had Hand Foot Mouth and wife also got sick. We at least made it to a Cubs game before the red spots showed up around toddlers mouth during the 7th inning stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

cailleask posted:

Cold, humid air absolutely does make the symptoms stop - it’s a thing. They’ll slowly return if you go back to a warm dry place as you discovered. During croup season we bundle up real warm but then open a big window or just sit/sleep outside. You can do a steamy shower too but IMO it’s not as effective as cold air. I had a kid turning purple-lipped in the shower go back to almost normal within minutes when outside.

If they’re still bad today your pediatrician can probably provide a dose of steroid since the ER didn’t though.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea, it's summer here though so I guess we'll crank the airconditioning and humidifier a bit. Got in with a doctor yesterday and got some steroids, she's still raspy but sleeping better now.

These things always seems to happen at midnight or 2 in the morning, we decide it's time to go to emergency, and when we get there (after waiting an hour) she's perfectly fine when the doctor sees her. Better to be safe than sorry, but it sucks the next day.