Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Don't bother with relics all they do is make you look pretty which is bad and NOT what we want for once????? c'mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
whoever is in charge of the ff goon forums

it's pretty broken rn

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Glamour is the most important part of the game but don't feel any pressure to get it for the stats!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

2.x (level 50) relic is a thing you may wish to casually work on if you're bored at 60 and want a little project to poke away at, to eventually receive a cool weapon glamour. Its actual practical usefulness is zero. You will get comparable weapons to the finished version (let alone an early stage version) at level 54, and better weapons as you get higher than that.

Furthermore, you can work on it faster at 60 than you can at 50 because you'll have more options available for tomestones and gil, and can kill poo poo faster for scenarios that don't involve fates level syncing you. So even assuming you want to get it eventually, you'll put less time into getting it if you wait until you're 60 and decently geared.

Focus on leveling and progressing through HW story, then focus on gearing up with level 60 gear once you get there. Then, if you still want to get a level 50 relic because pretty catgirl dress-up, that is the time to start working on it. (The same is, incidentally, also true for getting clears or glamour-or-otherwise drops from coil or level 50 ex primals. Upshot being, "they'll keep, practical benefit for leveling is minimal to nonexistent, come back and work on it when you're beefy enough to curbstomp".)

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 28, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah the rest of the realm has no idea what's happening with dragon dad. I'd imagine they'd freak the gently caress out if they did

Others know he's awakening because the Agrias wreckage is being actively monitored. Signs of Midgard reviving are why you go to the Keeper of the Lake dungeon in the first place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ignimbrite posted:

Front Accuracy on A8S is 723. I'm well over that in lore gear. Yes, the crit on the lore lance outweighs the det on the relic one. See if you can't get your hands on the DRG feet from Mhach, they're better than the lore ones.

The Mhach chest is better for dragoon as well than the lore one (even upgraded). The lore chest just sucks in general for dragoon. The sad part is I've never seen the dragoon chest even drop in 3-4 dozen runs, so good luck!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the dragoon chest armor sucks in many ways but by far the worst aspect of it is its appearance. why would i want front wings!! wings go on the back!!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Please don't waste dev time on VR crap, Yoship.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DolphinCop posted:

the dragoon chest armor sucks in many ways but by far the worst aspect of it is its appearance. why would i want front wings!! wings go on the back!!

It's tactical. Now your enemies won't know if you're coming or going.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Front Accuracy on A8S is 723. I'm well over that in lore gear. Yes, the crit on the lore lance outweighs the det on the relic one. See if you can't get your hands on the DRG feet from Mhach, they're better than the lore ones.

Just to correct this real quick, the accuracy cap for front is actually 699. The caster cap is 591. Dervy (the guy who does stat weights) did some testing and that is what he came up with in regards to accuracy. A little interesting tidbit is that the front accuracy cap is always 108 accuracy higher than the front accuracy cap.

Source: https://dervyxiv.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/how-accuracy-works-part-1/

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Verranicus posted:

For real. VR would be a complete waste of the limited dev resources they have. I can't imagine it even working that well since you need to be able to see so much wider than any normal field of view might provide.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Others know he's awakening because the Agrias wreckage is being actively monitored. Signs of Midgard reviving are why you go to the Keeper of the Lake dungeon in the first place.

They suspect poo poo is happening, then they send you there and you come back and they all assume the problem is solved.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Ouhei posted:

For real. VR would be a complete waste of the limited dev resources they have. I can't imagine it even working that well since you need to be able to see so much wider than any normal field of view might provide.

On the other hand, it might be the only way to look straight up.

I still don't understand why the camera is locked from looking up. I mean, it generally doesn't matter, but there's at least two Rank S hunt marks that spawn based on moon phase and not being able to look at the upper half of the sky is really annoying when you want to see what phase the moon is in, especially because there is no other in-game way to find out.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, it was basically Alphinaud goes "let's not mention the tiny dragon in your soul to the people who literally make a religion of dragonkilling, cool? Cool."

So as far as anyone knows, you murdered his ghost and all is well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ouhei posted:

Please elaborate, I don't understand this at all. I'd play the poo poo out of this game in VR, if only UI wasn't all at the wrong depth. That's the *only* thing that doesn't work for me. What narrow field of view? VR has 110 degrees of fov, way more than the game otherwise draws.

Verranicus posted:

Actually, please "waste" dev time on VR crap, yoship

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Could anyone craft me Replica Allagan Gloves of Casting? I'll provide mats and gold ofc. Thanks.

IGN: Daryl C'azithe on Excalibur

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

quote:

[13:53]You obtain a wind-up Calofisteri.

How on Hydaelyn did I get this before the loving Yafaemi fending arms? Not that I'm complaining, but I have the weirdest luck sometimes.

EDIT: Now in .gif form!

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 28, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

/mogdance is cool and good. But I still want to know how to get that datamined fat mog palanquin mount.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd laugh if it was put in there just to mess with the dataminers, though i know it took real work and time to make

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Truga posted:

Please give me my VR Miqo'te paradise yoship

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fister Roboto posted:

It's actually the opening notes of FF9's battle music, which is very similar.

Well dang, you're right.

Still, I can't help but speculate that Mhach raid 3 is either going to be Ultimecia's Castle or some time-compressed surreality...which, come to think of it, Memoria could be described as. Two of the neatest final dungeons in the franchise, those.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

How on Hydaelyn did I get this before the loving Yafaemi fending arms? Not that I'm complaining, but I have the weirdest luck sometimes.

EDIT: Now in .gif form!

I got that my first trip through on the first day, and I'm never going to get anything ever again.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Truga posted:

Please elaborate, I don't understand this at all. I'd play the poo poo out of this game in VR, if only UI wasn't all at the wrong depth. That's the *only* thing that doesn't work for me. What narrow field of view? VR has 110 degrees of fov, way more than the game otherwise draws.

I would imagine VR would imply first person, no? there's a lot that happens behind your character or around corners that you can see because the camera is 3rd person and you can see all around you. There are of course ways to alert people to things behind them, but that's never as clear as just seeing them. If they support VR then they're going to have to make it so people can clear any content on it, which would probably make things weird/easy for non VR players.

Unless VR wouldn't be first person, in which case I'm not sure I would understand the appeal.

Fake edit: I would also rather the dev team spend any time they would on VR on other things, like content, new jobs, more character customization options, fixing our inventory space, making glamour less weird, high-res texture pack, etc etc.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ouhei posted:

I would imagine VR would imply first person, no? there's a lot that happens behind your character or around corners that you can see because the camera is 3rd person and you can see all around you. There are of course ways to alert people to things behind them, but that's never as clear as just seeing them. If they support VR then they're going to have to make it so people can clear any content on it, which would probably make things weird/easy for non VR players.

Unless VR wouldn't be first person, in which case I'm not sure I would understand the appeal.

Fake edit: I would also rather the dev team spend any time they would on VR on other things, like content, new jobs, more character customization options, fixing our inventory space, making glamour less weird, high-res texture pack, etc etc.

On the other hand, using a VR headset as a virtual 120" display would be baller as hell even if the only actual VR content in FFXIV is a portal to Balmung Catgirl Paradise.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just noticed this in the patch - there's scaffolding in the upper corner of the Cenotaph.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ouhei posted:

VR does not have to be first person to be cool as hell, although first person is definitely cool too! The good thing about FF14 is that you can simply switch between the two with your mousewheel.

Ouhei posted:

And Diadem. :v:

Thundarr posted:

On the other hand, using a VR headset as a virtual 120" display would be baller as hell even if the only actual VR content in FFXIV is a portal to Balmung Catgirl Paradise.

This is essentially what I did, although a slightly better implementation, and also including a stereo 3d hack, but yes, just this is pretty baller as well. Like I said earlier, the main problem was all the 2D UI drawn at the incorrect depth, making you see all floaty texts double (or everything else, if you focus on the text). Apart from that, it owned as hell and I'd never play it on a monitor again if that weren't a problem. It's just so much better for appreciating the scale of the environment and everything.

Oh well, maybe in FF17.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

I need to remember to load up Virtual Desktop tonight and see if FFXIV still runs ok under that. Resolution is kind of assy on the Vive though and I bet the god-rays would get old fast

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's tactical. Now your enemies won't know if you're coming or going.

as a dragoon, i'm always coming.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ouhei posted:

I would imagine VR would imply first person, no? there's a lot that happens behind your character or around corners that you can see because the camera is 3rd person and you can see all around you.

Push the "Home" button for a surprise.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mazed posted:

Well dang, you're right.

Still, I can't help but speculate that Mhach raid 3 is either going to be Ultimecia's Castle or some time-compressed surreality...which, come to think of it, Memoria could be described as. Two of the neatest final dungeons in the franchise, those.

It's also very possible they're going to have it be Pandaemonium from FF2, because that's literally what Pandaemonium is - "the place of all demons". :v:

There's a lot of ways to swing it, though, and they did say at the start that ultimately Mhach is meant to be its own thing. It has nods to previous games, but not in an organized fashion like CT being a literal retelling of the last act of FF3.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

DolphinCop posted:

as a dragoon, i'm always coming.

heavy thrust

internal release

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Push the "Home" button for a surprise.

feature for looking around vs. primary mode of play.

Truga posted:

VR does not have to be first person to be cool as hell, although first person is definitely cool too! The good thing about FF14 is that you can simply switch between the two with your mousewheel.

I hadn't thought about using VR in that way (I have very little interest in it in general), but I could see how that could be pretty cool. I still stand by my statement that they should have VR really far down the list of things to spend dev time on though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree that I don't think VR should be a huge priority but VR works fine with third person. I tried WoW with the first Oculus Rift and it looked cool as hell.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
VR is a fad like 3D, motion controls and other tripe that will be gone within a few years. Spending development hours on it would be a waste when only a tiny fraction of players even have a headset. I remember seeing somewhere that only like 0.05% of all Steam users own a VR headset. This will increase as they get cheaper (lol at anyone who bought one for hundreds of dollars, loving rubes) but will never, ever be anything but a minuscule percent.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

VR is a fad like 3D, motion controls and other tripe that will be gone within a few years. Spending development hours on it would be a waste when only a tiny fraction of players even have a headset. I remember seeing somewhere that only like 0.05% of all Steam users own a VR headset. This will increase as they get cheaper (lol at anyone who bought one for hundreds of dollars, loving rubes) but will never, ever be anything but a minuscule percent.

nah

but please tell me how vr is just like 3dtv or wii, I haven't heard that one before

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Verranicus posted:

I said this too until I got a chance to try Sony's take on it at a local event last year and became an instant convert. Have you had a chance to try a Rift or (especially atm) a Vive by chance?

[you're not wrong about financial value atm though :smith:]

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

nah

but please tell me how vr is just like 3dtv or wii, I haven't heard that one before

A Wii is actually good, is the difference. Sorry you feel like you have to justify spending 300 dollars on a Vive. Lol.

Ciaphas posted:

I said this too until I got a chance to try Sony's take on it at a local event last year and became an instant convert. Have you had a chance to try a Rift or (especially atm) a Vive by chance?

[you're not wrong about financial value atm though :smith:]

Yes actually, a couple of my friends are really well off and between them have all the current headsets on the market so I've hosed around with them a few times and my opinions haven't changed. While I'm sure some people think it's a novel idea but it would be stupid for any developer to bank on it and nothing VR related is even worth a second glance right now. Maybe in 50 years we'll have the technology to make it not be a lovely gimmick (because these fads come and go, 3D has popped up several times now so I've no doubt VR will after these current headsets inevitably end up collecting dust on peoples shelves).

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 28, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Truga posted:

nah

unlike VR, the wii was and is a massive financial success

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Drizvolta posted:

Please give me my VR Miqo'te paradise yoship

Patch 4.1 - anime catgirl sex den

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Verranicus posted:

All of those are still around.

• Locked thread