Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Snak posted:

It's a real shame I can't fiddle with ascension and gear while Ignis is driving.

I'm really digging how chill this game is so far.

Why can’t you? Open the navigator and select “main menu.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think he means the Ascension menu pauses the games even though you're driving along.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

Why can’t you? Open the navigator and select “main menu.”

When you do that, it pauses the game. I want to pass the time on the road.

Edit: ^ yeah

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just watching a new trailer for the Fist of the North Star Yakuza crossover game and I don't know what to think. I mean I'm happy but other than that my thoughts and feelings are a whirlwind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kiryu's voice doesn't fit Kenshiro but otherwise it looks like it owns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I saw something from that where hitting enemies produced a word bubble that fell on the ground and the player picked it up and used it as a weapon

that was awesome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I thought that was a bit too goofy for FotNS and more suited to a future Jojo crossover or something but it also made me lol so who cares.

E: actually since the whole thing is closer in tone to the anime rather than the manga it's probably not that out of place.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 28, 2017

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Wow, Gundam Versus is not good.

Just because of the controls too. There are technically like 5 buttons, Jump, Melee, ranged, assist, and switch target, with three other buttons assigned to be combo buttons (like R2 is Ranged and Melee I think), so it's a heavy crap shoot if the button you press activates the power you want. Cannot count the number of times I hit R2 for it to only count as hitting ranged only.

And gently caress me, the enemies are like twice as fast as your suit, which means you won't hit anything except by luck. Which is not a problem for your enemies, who will peg you from across the board as your dodge fails to activate. Assuming you can see who shot you, as the camera is fixed via lock on, and the Right stick does nothing with the camera even when you are not locked on.

It seems like the game wants you to keep dashing, as that seems to improve accuracy, and keeps you from being hit (obviously on that last one), but most characters have a move that stops them dead in their tracks for at least a second, long enough to eat like 4 ranged attacks. It also seems to want you to use the D-pad, as dodging is double tapping buttons, and shielding is pressing down then up (why...?).

If you ever played Federation Vs Zeon or AEUG Vs Titans, it's basically that, but no space, and you can't play as the Mobile Armors, they still show up as bosses, but you can't play them. It's also super grindy, and there's very little content.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a hardcore arena fighter. Watch high level 2v2 play to see whats possible

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Gungeon is really fun and I'm enjoying it a lot

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a hardcore arena fighter. Watch high level 2v2 play to see whats possible
Yeah I was gonna say if you're looking it as anything but a serious competitive arcade game which also has a little bit of pve content tacked on you've made a mistake. That said, I have read professional reviews of the game that apparently made the same mistake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I was gonna say if you're looking it as anything but a serious competitive arcade game which also has a little bit of pve content tacked on you've made a mistake. That said, I have read professional reviews of the game that apparently made the same mistake.

I like Gundam and I hate the loving game because I'm not good at it. It's too hard without investing shitloads of time. I can see why people wouldn't like it even though I keep trying to get good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I like Gundam and I hate the loving game because I'm not good at it. It's too hard without investing shitloads of time. I can see why people wouldn't like it even though I keep trying to get good.
Yep, that's competitive online gaming for you. It would be the same if it was Guilty Gear Xrd or whatever.

Edit: I do slightly better with one of the two Sumos or the Flag Custom than anything else but I'm still just another player that the people who have been playing this for a decade straight step over on their way to the real fight.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 28, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Currently sleep deprived from playing Nier Automata again, about 8 hours of playtime in total

Very special game. I ate the Makrill.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What's a good mid-length low tension game that I can just screw around with?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.

Relax, run, be free.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just played the Titanfall 2 campaign. It was very good and it's on sale so I'd recommend that. Might be short though, I don't know what counts as short for a fps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it'd be like 4-5 hours is short, 8-10 is average, and 15+ is long. mp focused games are the only ones that get campaigns as short as titanfall's

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anora posted:

Wow, Gundam Versus is not good.

Just because of the controls too. There are technically like 5 buttons, Jump, Melee, ranged, assist, and switch target, with three other buttons assigned to be combo buttons (like R2 is Ranged and Melee I think), so it's a heavy crap shoot if the button you press activates the power you want. Cannot count the number of times I hit R2 for it to only count as hitting ranged only.

And gently caress me, the enemies are like twice as fast as your suit, which means you won't hit anything except by luck. Which is not a problem for your enemies, who will peg you from across the board as your dodge fails to activate. Assuming you can see who shot you, as the camera is fixed via lock on, and the Right stick does nothing with the camera even when you are not locked on.

It seems like the game wants you to keep dashing, as that seems to improve accuracy, and keeps you from being hit (obviously on that last one), but most characters have a move that stops them dead in their tracks for at least a second, long enough to eat like 4 ranged attacks. It also seems to want you to use the D-pad, as dodging is double tapping buttons, and shielding is pressing down then up (why...?).

If you ever played Federation Vs Zeon or AEUG Vs Titans, it's basically that, but no space, and you can't play as the Mobile Armors, they still show up as bosses, but you can't play them. It's also super grindy, and there's very little content.

You're wrong, the game it's 90% footsies you're just bad

It's okay I'm also bad at it

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't even know what Bloodborne looks like. I suppose I can google up an image if I want. Or maybe even a video if I'm feeling really crazy.

In other news, I bought Divinity : Original Sin and I'm having a blast playing it in couch co-op with the gf. The sneaking is hilarious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John F Bennett posted:

I don't even know what Bloodborne looks like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

I just played the Titanfall 2 campaign. It was very good and it's on sale so I'd recommend that. Might be short though, I don't know what counts as short for a fps.

I wouldn't really call Titanfall 2 low-tension, considering the basic gameplay loop is to run as fast as you can, wallslide, and punt soldiers in the face while shooting their buddies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Play Night in the Woods and instead of blowing up buildings or killing prostitutes like in other games, imagine you're doing the equivalent to Mae's social life.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't really call Titanfall 2 low-tension, considering the basic gameplay loop is to run as fast as you can, wallslide, and punt soldiers in the face while shooting their buddies.

I played on normal and was just doing low level Tony Hawk style wall rides and tearing poo poo up with much stress.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In multiplayer, add laughing like a maniac into the mic while doing so.

I usually suck pretty hard at online shooters but I was always top 3 at a minimum in TF2. No idea why, something in it clicked for me. Maybe it hit that long-dormant Tribes talent I used to have.

revolther
May 27, 2008
But one third that speed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I usually suck pretty hard at online shooters but I was always top 3 at a minimum in TF2. No idea why, something in it clicked for me. Maybe it hit that long-dormant Tribes talent I used to have.

you're obviously rewarded with a Titan for performance but it was nothing like COD where the people camping/farming kills would get all the ridiculous killstreaks and it was an endless vicious cycle. MW3 was my favorite for this because the support killstreaks were great and you got just about equal points for doing support poo poo like defending or capturing a point.

I say this a lot but in TF2 even if you're bad at FPS in general you can still completely help your team and get a decent score; the doozy? It's really fun, too. Even for those terrible at FPS like me. gently caress I hope we see a proper Titanfall 3 not completely ruined by lootbox/EA

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

TF2 is already a claimed acronym you have to find another

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So if I subscribe to PS+ on Jan 31st I'll still get access to the Jan PS+ titles?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinitum posted:

So if I subscribe to PS+ on Jan 31st I'll still get access to the Jan PS+ titles?

The games change on the first..Tuesday of the new month. Which would be Feb 6? So yeah, should be right.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Trick weapons are dope

Infinitum posted:

You'll get whatever is available from the day you subscribe. Games change early in the month, so the jan games will laste til feb 4th or something like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just remember to add them to your account before they're replaced. it's not automatic

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I'm playing through DS3 on the PC just now and, while i've got it on max settings, i don't know quite how to place it but BB just looks a hell of a lot better graphically.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kin posted:

I'm playing through DS3 on the PC just now and, while i've got it on max settings, i don't know quite how to place it but BB just looks a hell of a lot better graphically.

I agree. I think it's the use of light, the structures, style and the amount of stuff going on. It looks amazing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think you're right, something about the darkness and the contrast for the colours or something. DS3 kind of feels muted compared to the vibrancy of BB.

edit: even the background stuff in the distance is better in BB. There are times in DS3 where i'm looking off in the background for places i've been and i can see how simplified the models/textures are (even on the highest settings). I might be misremembering but i don't think that was something i ever noticed in BB.

Kin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

Just the natural benefit of only having to design for a single platform, same reason Uncharted 4 and Horizon are the best looking games ever made despite the PS4 hardware being four years old now.
Of course it doesn't help that the only colour in DS3 is grey.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Snak posted:

When you do that, it pauses the game. I want to pass the time on the road.

Edit: ^ yeah

Oh that. Well, sometimes things happen while you're driving, so they'd need to either pause anyway, dump you out of the menu unexpectedly, or skip things on your behalf, at which point, why not just fast travel?

Oh, and if this is your first playthrough, skip all of the DLC episodes until you've played through the entire game once, I'd say. Don't skip the end credits. If you're trying to bank up experience, remember that the end of chapters automatically applies all experience, unless you're wearing the nixeperience band, and chapter ends can happen awfully abruptly and unexpectedly; they're not generally telegraphed or signposted. A specific spot to watch out for, and spoilered in case you want the completely unaware experience: when you get to Altissa, you'll almost immediately get an invite to a government meeting. Going to that meeting locks you into story mode for a while, and I don't think it goes out of it's way to tell you that. So do anything you want to do before going to that meeting, including slight spoiler for a game mechanic using Umbra to magically go back to the mainland where a bunch of sidequests will have opened up.

For reference, like most FF games, you can complete the game reasonably comfortably with a relatively low-level party; most of the levelling is for optional bosses and dungeons and what not. I've heard of people finishing with parties in the 30s, my first playthough not really super-abusing the system or using the nixperience band I think I came out in the mid fifties, and by abusing the system and using the nixperience band somewhat inefficiently, I came out in the mid 80s.

Levelling system abuse advice, spoilered just in case:

Using the nixperience band and a stay at Galdin Quay, you can be in the 30s at the end of chapter 4, IIRC, then just never take off the band, do all the sidequests and what not, and when you get to Alitssa, before or after doing all the new stuff that opens up before that meeting, take off the band, check in at the hotel's second desk to get the 3x multiplier, and shoot up 40 levels. Make sure you do the Chocobo post sidequests until the guy figures out how to make the chocobo club sandwich, which gives you awesome experience boosts early in the game.

Now, despite having bought GTA5 for the 360 at launch, and for the PC during a steam sale, I never actually played it for more than about 30 seconds. So I bought the PS4 version on sale, and now I'm playing it, and remembering how much I hate driving in GTA games. Also, the opening is completely different than what I remember, but I may just be misremembering horribly.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it'd be like 4-5 hours is short, 8-10 is average, and 15+ is long. mp focused games are the only ones that get campaigns as short as titanfall's

Titanfall 2 was like a solid 6-8 hours at minimum with some of the most interesting and novel levels to be put in an FPS in the last 10 years. It's up there with Portal in terms of nuance. It's a normal length and all of it is amazing.

revolther posted:

But one third that speed.

Someone doesn't have a Pro. :smugbert: