Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I screwed up. I'm trying to put a front license plate on my mother-in-law's 2012 Honda Crosstour. I bought some nylon inserts like this:

I started drilling a hole in the bumper cover before I realized the inserts expect a square hole. I figure my options are:

- Get a triangle file and file the holes square
- Find round nylon inserts (I've been looking)
- Find a square drill
- Just use self-tapping screws and hide the hole behind the license plate. It looks like a lot of the cheaper Amazon license plate brackets do this.

Am I missing anything obvious? What's the right way to proceed?

If the bumper is plastic, sometimes it's soft enough that you can cut it with a knife or razor to square a hole.

Or hold a lighter to the knife and use the hot knife to melt the plastic into the shape you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

Please excuse me if there is a better place for this question. Funny that it's suspension chat already.

I own a first-generation BRZ and I take it on rough roads, and lately cold mountain passes. I've asked advice on how to prepare for this in a few different places before, and have taken the major bits of advice - correct tires for conditions, collapsible shovel. Still need some recovery boards and textile or cable traction devices.

One suggestion given was to beef up the suspension - the stock one is really meant for driving on quality roads at speed, so something stronger might be of use. I've never been much of a car modifier but I'm not concerned about 'ruining' this one and I could afford a certain level of modification.

Do you agree with this advice, or should I stay stock? If you were going to mess with the suspension on a BRZ for lovely road purposes, what would you do?

What kind of maniac would modify a BRZ for rough roads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTy3fOobdA

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

I screwed up. I'm trying to put a front license plate on my mother-in-law's 2012 Honda Crosstour. I bought some nylon inserts like this:

I started drilling a hole in the bumper cover before I realized the inserts expect a square hole. I figure my options are:

- Get a triangle file and file the holes square
- Find round nylon inserts (I've been looking)
- Find a square drill
- Just use self-tapping screws and hide the hole behind the license plate. It looks like a lot of the cheaper Amazon license plate brackets do this.

Am I missing anything obvious? What's the right way to proceed?

Those anchors will fit in a round hole - get a piece of thin material, drill a hole (probably 3/8") and test it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Put the square peg in the round hole, do it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DildenAnders posted:

I was going to try and get an alternator for a 2002 Honda Civic, but I ended up letting my mechanic order it instead. Appreciate the help, I usually use Rock Auto so I'll try to snoop through there.

For future reference, almost everything electrical will be Denso (including the alternator), Denso and NTK are the OEMs for the oxygen sensors (it's a toss up as to which your car has, but both work fine and are the only two I would ever use in a Honda), NGK is the OEM spark plug. Suspension is usually KYB, brake calipers are usually Nissin (not Nissan), master cylinder and booster are likely Denso.

Radiator is probably SAK or Denso, cooling fan is usually Denso. The radiator brands sometimes depend on the trim level of the car, the different ones will have different mounts and usually a different way to mount the fan. Denso's aftermarket arm will probably make radiators that fit all of them.

Denso is very prominent on Rockauto, NTK and NGK (same parent company) are also on there as well.

Safety Dance posted:

Those are meant to replace broken/stripped inserts in sheet metal (such as the trunk or hatch), in my experience. You need the full plate mounting kit. Or just screw it into the bumper like me a heathen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 7, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PainterofCrap posted:

Those anchors will fit in a round hole - get a piece of thin material, drill a hole (probably 3/8") and test it.

In my experience they spin when you do that. I'm in the "file the hole square" crowd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Epitope posted:

Put the square peg in the round hole, do it

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The splash guard on my car is hanging because the little part of the plastic that the screw holds onto is broken, if I take it off and super glue it back together will it hold? I've never actually used super glue for anything before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

The splash guard on my car is hanging because the little part of the plastic that the screw holds onto is broken, if I take it off and super glue it back together will it hold? I've never actually used super glue for anything before.

Probably not, but if you find a washer about the same size as that hole and super glue THAT to the plastic that's hanging down to reinforce the area it probably will hold. But both things will need to be super clean.

I'd go to the parts/hardware store and find a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld and epoxy a washer to it. If you need a replacement fastener and it's one of those plastic scrivets or whatever the auto parts store should have something close enough to work.

FYI, there are 2 part epoxies that set in like 3 or 4 hours - the regular stuff takes 24 so choose accordingly.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Motronic posted:

FYI, there are 2 part epoxies that set in like 3 or 4 hours - the regular stuff takes 24 so choose accordingly.

This is a lesson I've learned from Forged in Fire. In general does longer cure time mean a stronger final cure? I assume 10 minute vs. 24 hours has a noteworthy difference, but is that still true at 3-4 vs 24?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This is a lesson I've learned from Forged in Fire. In general does longer cure time mean a stronger final cure? I assume 10 minute vs. 24 hours has a noteworthy difference, but is that still true at 3-4 vs 24?

The difference I looked up in the 3 or 4 hour JB Weld was minimally decreased strength and some loss of heat tolerance. Nothing significant - if I was anywhere close to the 3-4 hour stuff limits I wouldn't be using the 24 hours stuff for that use either.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
That's a good idea, thanks!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Mostly I've noticed time to work with it. Got a lot to mix up or want to epoxy a lot of different things go slow. Just one widget or time critical go fast.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

STR posted:

Those are meant to replace broken/stripped inserts in sheet metal (such as the trunk or hatch), in my experience. You need the full plate mounting kit. Or just screw it into the bumper like me a heathen.

I made my coworkers eye twitch last week when he was ordering a front plate holder for a work truck. I said, "just get some self tappers and mount the plate direct to te bumper" to which he said no, that's bad and I don't want to just put two holes in the bumper, and I asked how he expected the plate holder to mount to the bumper....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StormDrain posted:

I asked how he expected the plate holder to mount to the bumper....

If you don't want to use screws, try 3M 4991 VHB tape. It's the stuff used on GoPro mounts. It will stand up to anything you can throw at it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

If you don't want to use screws, try 3M 4991 VHB tape. It's the stuff used on GoPro mounts. It will stand up to anything you can throw at it.

One hell of an avatar/post combo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

I made my coworkers eye twitch last week when he was ordering a front plate holder for a work truck. I said, "just get some self tappers and mount the plate direct to te bumper" to which he said no, that's bad and I don't want to just put two holes in the bumper, and I asked how he expected the plate holder to mount to the bumper....

Good thing you didn't mention using wood screws. :v:

A lot of plate holders mount under the bumper somewhat, so the holes aren't as visible when removed (but the clean paint behind it definitely stands out). Mine originally mounted to the bumper cover, but my parking skills with a car this size were lacking for a bit...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I replaced my lovely front plate holder with a kit that uses strong velcro, the kit was quite expensive so I'd just get a velcro strip and cut to size.

Looks great

Before:

After:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I let my battery run down. What do I buy to either jump start my car? And, what do I buy to recharge my battery? I haven't decided which route to go, unless you guys have opinions (of course you do).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

totalnewbie posted:

I let my battery run down. What do I buy to either jump start my car? And, what do I buy to recharge my battery? I haven't decided which route to go, unless you guys have opinions (of course you do).

I'm linking to walmart because almost everyone lives close to one, but you can find similar products almost everywhere including online.

I have a jump box like this one, I find it very useful for jumping cars, inflating tires, and providing power/light during power outages.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...re&athbdg=L1100

I don't drive my vehicle very often, so bought one of these. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-MAXX-3-Amp-6V-12V-Automotive-Battery-Charger-BC3E/493123163?fulfillmentIntent=In-store&athbdg=L1100

I don't think it'll charge a battery from completely dead, but it does a good job of keeping the battery charged. I often let my car sit for 2 to 3 weeks and this makes sure the battery stays healthy. There are more expensive/fancier ones that can do full battery charging but this is all I need.

I'd jump the car, drive it around for a good 30 minutes to an hour, and slap the battery charger on it. There's lot of other options like a solar one if you park outside.

I have no experience with the tiny lithium battery based jump boxes. There's a small 12v lead sealed battery in the larger boxes that works well enough for me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I have no experience with the tiny lithium battery based jump boxes.
I've used the lithium jump boxes. They work. Seems like they shouldn't, but they do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Alternatively, if you are reasonably consident you will not have another use for the jump start box, you could literally spend like $5 adding roadside to your auto insurance, then have them jump you.

At the very reasonable prices of these Chinese jump boxes today though you might just want to pick one up.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I keep a jump box in the Leaf because when the 12V battery goes from ‘fine’ to ‘ahahahahaha gently caress you replace me today’ it will do it over a few hours and with little-to-no warning. Not having an engine means I can’t hear it turning over slower before it just stops working altogether, but does so by throwing the weirdest codes imaginable.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I gotta be honest, I can be pretty reckless, but keeping a big inexpensive lithium battery in the car 24/7 seems like a pretty bad idea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a Noco lithium boost pack, one of the smaller ones, and it's very needs-suiting for boosting the European and Asian 4-bangers that we mostly have here in Europe. Just gotta remember to top it off every couple of months but it holds charge pretty well. Got me out of a few jams and I've been able to help friends, family colleagues and random strangers alike. Very useful to have.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I went through this poo poo with my sister's Prius. Crawling over the back seat to pull the OH poo poo handle to open the rear hatch just to get at the utility battery to jump it when she left the headlights on. (yes, yes; only later did I learn that there are jump lugs under the hood...)

What I cannot understand is why they cannot build in an emergency "jump start" function to pull some power from the traction battery to the utility battery. Something that the driver has to manually activate & which disconnects once the car is going, maybe with a trickle function to keep it alive long enough to get a new utility battery.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PainterofCrap posted:

I went through this poo poo with my sister's Prius. Crawling over the back seat to pull the OH poo poo handle to open the rear hatch just to get at the utility battery to jump it when she left the headlights on. (yes, yes; only later did I learn that there are jump lugs under the hood...)

What I cannot understand is why they cannot build in an emergency "jump start" function to pull some power from the traction battery to the utility battery. Something that the driver has to manually activate & which disconnects once the car is going, maybe with a trickle function to keep it alive long enough to get a new utility battery.

Most people would just continue to use that function until the car stopped working entirely rather than spend a hundred bucks on a battery. I'm sure there's a real reason but I kind of feel like that's part of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I gotta be honest, I can be pretty reckless, but keeping a big inexpensive lithium battery in the car 24/7 seems like a pretty bad idea.

I'd say it's less dangerous than keeping 10 gallons of gasoline in the car 24/7 tbh.

Lithium batteries don't just arbitrarily explode. They have to either be overcharged, over-discharged, or physically damaged for that to happen.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

In my case you could make an argument that the entire car is a big inexpensive lithium-ion battery.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

excuse me, but I believe I was promised a 42V vehicle power system

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, my wipers have been annoying me lately and I just found out how often you're supposed to replace them...

That's the stupid part so for the question part, anything I should know or avoid when buying new ones? For any fellow Canucks, I was just planning on getting a new pair next time I go to Canadian Tire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lobok posted:

drat, my wipers have been annoying me lately and I just found out how often you're supposed to replace them...

That's the stupid part so for the question part, anything I should know or avoid when buying new ones? For any fellow Canucks, I was just planning on getting a new pair next time I go to Canadian Tire.

The part you don't know is that when they keep chattering after new wipers and cleaning your windshield is that the springs are done in your wiper arms. And factory replacement wiper arms are cheaper than you think.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

Kia does on the Nero - they call it the "12V battery reset button".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Yeah just go to Canadian Tire and there's gonna be a little book or a digital terminal in the wiper aisle, you punch in your car and it'll tell you which ones are compatible. I have had good experiences with the 'reflex' ones, not sure if that's a model or a brand though. If you have a rear wiper you'll see options for one of those too, just be aware that each wiper blade may be a different size, so take the new one out of the package and hold it to the ones on the car to make sure you're putting the right ones on. If you've never done it before I'd look up a YouTube video about how to remove and attach them because it's not always obvious.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Always buy ‘beam’ or ‘winter’ blades if there is any chance they will ever see snow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Motronic posted:

The part you don't know is that when they keep chattering after new wipers and cleaning your windshield is that the springs are done in your wiper arms. And factory replacement wiper arms are cheaper than you think.

I don't think it's the arms. Like with chattering I think you mean I'd notice the blades skipping but it's more like the cleaning job is just too streaky.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah just go to Canadian Tire and there's gonna be a little book or a digital terminal in the wiper aisle, you punch in your car and it'll tell you which ones are compatible. I have had good experiences with the 'reflex' ones, not sure if that's a model or a brand though. If you have a rear wiper you'll see options for one of those too, just be aware that each wiper blade may be a different size, so take the new one out of the package and hold it to the ones on the car to make sure you're putting the right ones on. If you've never done it before I'd look up a YouTube video about how to remove and attach them because it's not always obvious.

Thanks. I had picked out the type and size at CT a little while ago but didn't pull the trigger at the time for some reason I don't remember but now I'm definitely going to buy them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you know you're going to have the car long enough go on rockauto and buy a half a dozen sets of the sizes your car needs in the brand and model you like.

I guarantee you they are cheaper there, even with shipping, than they are at the parts store. Probably by an entire digit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kastein posted:

If you know you're going to have the car long enough go on rockauto and buy a half a dozen sets of the sizes your car needs in the brand and model you like.

I guarantee you they are cheaper there, even with shipping, than they are at the parts store. Probably by an entire digit.

They'd be cheaper there but those of us in Canada have to spend an additional 20% off the value customs assigns to anything that we buy and have shipped in. So it can rapidly become a LOT more expensive than you'd imagine.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
They’re in Canada so they would be paying exchange and duties as well as shipping when buying from Rock Auto. We don’t really have good internet shopping options for auto parts up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Advent Horizon posted:

In my case you could make an argument that the entire car is a big inexpensive lithium-ion battery.

I think in the future there's some likelihood we'll have some stories making the rounds in USA media if an EV main battery [semi-]spontaneously catastrophically fails and incinerates itself, the car, and the car's surroundings. It seems to increase in likelihood as EVs take up a larger percentage each year of sales in the US. Total guess but who knows, maybe they are rock solid. I guess I don't hear about it with laptops that much. Even if it's a tiny chance, lots of cars out there. And collisions will have a new chance of being extra spicy for rescue firefighters.