Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Azubah posted:

I got vote kicked for not rez'ing the healer after he died to an AoE as a summoner, I think it's just bad players in general.

Ruin III until out of mana, then you can just blame the (lack of a ) bard for not singing. Between aetherflow and energy drain you can always recover mana if you actually need it for dots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zero The Hero posted:

Maybe it's my FFXI background, but I much prefer straight healing. Stance dancing on WHM is just frustrating. I did enjoy DPSing on SCH while my fairy healed, though.

It's definitely harder on WHM since there's less healing going on while you DPS, and you do less of it as a WHM than as a SCH for sure. I only have SCH up to 53 so far, but I have WHM at 60 and what I do most of the time is make sure the tank has SS up at the start, which buys me some DPS time, then After they've gotten a whole of the pack a little, I'll top them off, throw up a regen, then go back to DPS. Depending on the situation I'll throw out a Medica II or the healing bubble that WHM gets to buy myself more DPS time.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

DolphinCop posted:

anybody who vote kicks in a 24 man is the worst

Best was when a tank had to go AFK to deal with something in real life.

Makes it back to the group, apologizes for being AFK for a bit, and then got vote kicked for being AFK.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ouhei posted:

Like if you're not trying to DPS when you can you spend like half the time just standing there doing nothing.

Now now, randomly jumping around while casting a heal every 10 seconds is all the attention my brain needs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I usually like to play as a healer or support class, but since I'm on the PS4, I'm afraid that the controller will make quickly switching to players in need more difficult and cumbersome than a KB&M set up. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm still re-learning poo poo (like to make a hotkey for my limit break, so I don't have to menu dive in the middle of a boss fight.)

I'm always appreciative of my healers though. The last two (low level) dungeons I went through as a Pug I hardly looked at my health bar at all. Or any of my bars. Just the target's circle and my cool-downs. I should be more cognizant of the mage's MP bars though. That thought didn't occur to me until I read the last page of this thread.

On the topic of using a controller, are there any pages with useful tips for setting up the cross bars? I figure most of it is user preference and maybe as I get further in the game I'll need more complicated set-ups, but if there's a trick more complex than setting up the L2+R2 bar shortcuts, I'd be interested in hearing it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I understand DPS as a healer is pretty necessary in this game, but when people refuse to switch out of cleric's in Wiping City when the tank is new, stated so at the beginning, and is obviously getting the poo poo kicked out of them at places ...
I swear half the party spent the entirety of Forgall at less than half health, the tank blew every cooldown he had plus me healing him with my anemic Summoner heals holding the dragon add and still died while the healers hosed off DPS'ing. And who's fault was it that the tank died and the dragon wiped the raid? The tank, of course.

DPS all you want, healers. But remember that your primary role is to, you know, actually heal when it's needed. :(

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm not entirely sure how spending a small amount of time allowing VR players to use their headsets as giant displays is a bad idea. It isn't like the content designers are going to be tasked on that like it's another Verminion or some poo poo. It's also not an ongoing or persistent development requirement.

Also, PSVR in October. It isn't just folks spending six or eight hundred dollars on PC VR rigs that will be able to use it moving forward. After the bitching that Square got about the FFXV VR mission being poor or dumb I could easily see them pointing to FFXIV as VR usable as a selling point to some folks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Ruin III until out of mana

This is unironically what you should be doing as a summoner.

People are terrible at weeping city, but they want an easy carry, so when things go poorly they look for an easy scapegoat. Most of the time, this means people who have easily visible responsibilities - healers and tanks. Everyone can tell when a healer or tank fucks up. During the first week, I tanked a weeping city run through multiple wipes, explaining literally every mechanic along the way. When we finally got to Calo, we had like 20 minutes left on the clock. But I hosed up, and got the entire raid cleaved. Were they as understanding and patient as I had been through and hour and a half of misery? Hell no. Someone said "kick this tank, he's trolling" and I was gone in a minute.

I'm glad I only have to go back there once a week now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ I ruin 3 until 50% mana tyvm

Carver posted:

Now now, randomly jumping around while casting a heal every 10 seconds is all the attention my brain needs.

Don't post my pro Lucio strats.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I feel like AST was their attempt to make a healer that didn't personally DPS by giving you handing out buffs to fill out your spare time with. The problem is that the buffs are still kind of "eh". They're not bad nowadays (maybe the buffed them further since I've been on hiatus? Last change I know of was where they shuffled around which cards did what modifier via royal road and did some general buffs as well, to duration if I recall), but don't generally make up for you being by far the worst of the 3 healers at personal DPS (also, handing out the buffs still leaves you with plenty of spare GCDs anyways).

Personally, I would have made the AST buffs
A. Use up more of their time so that they ideally don't end up with much in the way of the spare GCDs
B. Make the buffs even stronger, enough to compensate for the DPS you'd get out of, say, bringing a SCH instead and having them DPS in their spare GCDs
C. This is more of a personal aesthetic choice, but instead of longer lasting but kind of moderate buffs, I would have preferred short but absurdly potent buffs that achieve the same effect with far more flashiness. I want something that feels like it has oomph and makes people feel awesome for receiving. Like, for example, making Arrow a short period of no GCD at all (obviously not a very long duration or it would probably work out to an absurd DPS boost)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I feel like I was blessed to have an almost entirely smooth WC run this week. No wipes and hardly any deaths until Calo. MT was even a bro and aimed the haircuts north so people who don't pay attention could keep doing their thing.

Most of the times I've run it so far have been more similar to what Fister has described though, so I'm happy that I've been able to get the drops I want early in the week and not have to farm that place and deal with shitlords.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honest healers are why I always laugh when people clamor for a dedicated support role. Imagine doing a dungeon with a bard that does nothing but sing.

Obligatum VII posted:

C. This is more of a personal aesthetic choice, but instead of longer lasting but kind of moderate buffs, I would have preferred short but absurdly potent buffs that achieve the same effect with far more flashiness. I want something that feels like it has oomph and makes people feel awesome for receiving. Like, for example, making Arrow a short period of no GCD at all (obviously not a very long duration or it would probably work out to an absurd DPS boost)

30 seconds is already a short period, and it's good because it can cover everyone's burn phase, and of course it lines up with your card draws. If you made balance 30% over 10 seconds, you'd have to be incredibly precise with your timing to get the most out of it. Also your arrow proposal would probably be technically impossible and drive everyone insane.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 29, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

Honest healers are why I always laugh when people clamor for a dedicated support role. Imagine doing a dungeon with a bard that does nothing but sing.

Well, if it was like the EQ bard where you were constantly mishmashing snippets of various songs together to create a giant pile of buffs like some sort of horrible discordant caphony of power... (I'm sad no one has tried to do that concept since EQ. It was cool)

There's nothing wrong with dedicated support. The problem is making sure that said support is active and entertaining to play and not just handing out some buffs and going AFK and that the buffs balance out roughly to a single extra DPS class worth of damage boost so that it's more of a playstyle choice rather than them being a must-have.

Edit: I agree that straight up temporarily removing the GCD probably isn't possible, but they could drop it to a very low value via some sort of absurd amount of skill speed or what-have-you, which is nearly the same thing. Unless they put some sort of hard cap on it, but they could probably toggle that off momentarily without TOO much trouble? I don't know just how messy the underlying framework is on this so I can't really say.

Last I recall, reports indicated that AST was still inferior to having a SCH and WHM because the buffs just didn't match up to the personal DPS another healer could bring? As I said, maybe that changed. Or maybe someone crunched some numbers and conclusively showed they balance out to about even (which I'd be interested in seeing). I'd still prefer flashier buffs though; they're just more fun.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 29, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually the best way to play cardiologist is to buff yourself and then spam gravity with as much bass as your sound system can muster.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I spent about a third of the Calofisteri fight eating dirt this week - the old roomwide Haircut, the "tank turns it a different direction and I can't dodge fast enough", and the "I gave up on caring".

...and parsed third highest. Seriously, what the gently caress are these people doing?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

Edit: I agree that straight up temporarily removing the GCD probably isn't possible, but they could drop it to a very low value via some sort of absurd amount of skill speed or what-have-you, which is nearly the same thing. Unless they put some sort of hard cap on it, but they could probably toggle that off momentarily without TOO much trouble? I don't know just how messy the underlying framework is on this so I can't really say.

The problem is that most classes rely on their GCD being a certain length to be able to fit their OGCDs between them. Bards would probably kill themselves if you significantly lowered their GCD.

Also for non-black mage DPS, a shorter GCD just means running out of TP or MP faster.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 29, 2016

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I usually like to play as a healer or support class, but since I'm on the PS4, I'm afraid that the controller will make quickly switching to players in need more difficult and cumbersome than a KB&M set up. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm still re-learning poo poo (like to make a hotkey for my limit break, so I don't have to menu dive in the middle of a boss fight.)

On the topic of using a controller, are there any pages with useful tips for setting up the cross bars? I figure most of it is user preference and maybe as I get further in the game I'll need more complicated set-ups, but if there's a trick more complex than setting up the L2+R2 bar shortcuts, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Dpad up+down cycles through the party list, it is great. Only problem is NPCs/Pets.

I put all my primary tools on my main crossbar, and any long cooldowns go on the l2/r2 or r2/l2 bar, as well as on a normal hotbar turned visible and shoved to the side so I can monitor its timers.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

Diablo 3. :negative:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I used to main Scholar with controller and the only dicey targeting is other alliance members; I know there is a shortcut, it just never came up enough to learn or muscle memory it.

I know folks have posted healer hotbars before; I posted my WHM ones and can dig up Scholar if you need examples.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

motoh posted:

I put all my primary tools on my main crossbar, and any long cooldowns go on the l2/r2 or r2/l2 bar, as well as on a normal hotbar turned visible and shoved to the side so I can monitor its timers.

Oh, that's clever.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Unknown Quantity posted:

(and the BRD insists on "muh deeps").

Which is funny because the penalty is barely a thing now, on top of all songs being a lot less janky to fit in to attack spam and battle voice more readily available. 10% penalty is all. Remember when it was 20%? I wouldn't be surprised if 4.0 removes the damage penalty entirely from songs and reworks the machinist turret buffs in a comparable way.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 29, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I spent about a third of the Calofisteri fight eating dirt this week - the old roomwide Haircut, the "tank turns it a different direction and I can't dodge fast enough", and the "I gave up on caring".

...and parsed third highest. Seriously, what the gently caress are these people doing?

"I paid my $15 I can play however I want just do your job and mind your own business."
DRGs parsing ~650 are so angry for doing so little.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's generally better to hide GCDs on the crossbars you can't see I find. Though with practice you can check on hidden cooldowns very quickly; I hide power surge and invigorate and it works fine

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The thing about Astro bugs me. Like, they have 2 really good dots that they don't have to worry about missing and only need like 1.5 gcd to apply. I'd think that plus card buffs getting thrown around would make them just fine?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Tortolia posted:

Also, PSVR in October. It isn't just folks spending six or eight hundred dollars on PC VR rigs that will be able to use it moving forward. After the bitching that Square got about the FFXV VR mission being poor or dumb I could easily see them pointing to FFXIV as VR usable as a selling point to some folks.

Yes, instead you're going to have to spend $400 on the headset itself, then another $60 on the camera (required, not included), then another $30 for the PlayStation Move controller (possibly required, not included) - oh, and quite likely another $400 at least for the new PlayStation 4 Neo as it's unclear if the existing PS4 hardware can really drive the VR headset.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My weeping city this week was a weird one. Spider-bro and Forgall were mostly fine. Ozma had 1 wipe, because a DRG stacked a meteor at the bottom where a healer had been already clearly standing. Healer says "dude, you saw I was there, why did you go there?" and he said "healers go left, DPS go back, everyone knows that!" Which everyone was like "Uh no, never heard of that. Also meteors randomly pick 2 players, not a healer and a DPS." There was also 1 bard in the whole group that never once used Foe requiem, or any buff. At Calofisteri, our party had 4 deaths, and our LB is about to hit 3, so I say "use healer LB3 when it's ready" then it hits 3 - the MCH quickly uses their LB3, but then has to move, then the DRG immediately uses it's LB3 afterward.

We still completed it, but 2/3rds of the raid was dead by the end. Weeping city really has exposed how bad the overall player base is. I don't worry about not passing it anymore, at least.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Stop spend money on entertainment, your budget must be identical to mine or it's not fair!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BrightWing posted:

The thing about Astro bugs me. Like, they have 2 really good dots that they don't have to worry about missing and only need like 1.5 gcd to apply. I'd think that plus card buffs getting thrown around would make them just fine?

I think the problem is they don't have as many fire-and-forget tools as the other healers. Hell, their AOE shield requires them to do nothing (for the shield part, I know you can get the regen going in one server tic).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

My weeping city this week was a weird one. Spider-bro and Forgall were mostly fine. Ozma had 1 wipe, because a DRG stacked a meteor at the bottom where a healer had been already clearly standing. Healer says "dude, you saw I was there, why did you go there?" and he said "healers go left, DPS go back, everyone knows that!" Which everyone was like "Uh no, never heard of that. Also meteors randomly pick 2 players, not a healer and a DPS." There was also 1 bard in the whole group that never once used Foe requiem, or any buff. At Calofisteri, our party had 4 deaths, and our LB is about to hit 3, so I say "use healer LB3 when it's ready" then it hits 3 - the MCH quickly uses their LB3, but then has to move, then the DRG immediately uses it's LB3 afterward.

We still completed it, but 2/3rds of the raid was dead by the end. Weeping city really has exposed how bad the overall player base is. I don't worry about not passing it anymore, at least.

At least you didn't have any assholes shouting that a specific role has to take orbs on Ozma. Every time I run into that it's just pain. My Forgal this week was torturous because one of my healers disconnected in the middle of the fight, and the other one was just bad.

To clarify Ozma went fine, it's just when I get people with opinions on how to do mechanics that can be done by anyone that things go bad on that fight.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Well, I will say that Astro's don't have good emergency healing tools. Course I play SCH, so I'm spoiled there. But still. Astro has...That one instant heal that does more on low health targets. And lightspeed I guess.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

Stop spend money on entertainment, your budget must be identical to mine or it's not fair!

Hey, if you want to spend a lot of money to strap a monitor so close to your face it looks like you're staring at it through a screen door, go for it. Just don't pretend it's cheap.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is bards not casting Foes a thing now for some reason? I'm seeing it a lot lately and I don't know what to make of it.

Admittedly, I don't know poo poo about bard, I got it high enough to use quelling strikes and that's it.

But, I glance up there and all I see is like straight shot or something.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

a kitten posted:

Is bards not casting Foes a thing now for some reason? I'm seeing it a lot lately and I don't know what to make of it.

Admittedly, I don't know poo poo about bard, I got it high enough to use quelling strikes and that's it.

But, I glance up there and all I see is like straight shot or something.

It's a thing as far as DPS just being lazy. A Good BRD would use foes when appropriate.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

Yes, instead you're going to have to spend $400 on the headset itself, then another $60 on the camera (required, not included), then another $30 for the PlayStation Move controller (possibly required, not included) - oh, and quite likely another $400 at least for the new PlayStation 4 Neo as it's unclear if the existing PS4 hardware can really drive the VR headset.

Bundle with camera and move controllers is $500 so yeah, about that.
If the base PS4 can't drive the PSVR then Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot, because their stance so far has been "we won't certify any VR games that can't maintain 60 FPS 100% of the time on the PS4". The trade off is visual fidelity, of course.
We don't know anything concrete about the Neo but all signs point to it either just being a 4k machine or being backwards-compatible Scorpio competition, i.e. "iterative upgrade".
Even if you did have to buy a Neo for a good PSVR experience, it's still the "budget" option for most people. I know if I sat down and upgraded my rig in preparation for VR I would end up spending at least $600 before actually buying a headset.

But enough, this derail probably belongs in the VR thread at this point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know it's just because I'm out of practice but I'm having a very hard time as BRD staring at cooldowns, watching for procs, watching every enemy's dot timers and my straight shot buff timer, and overall fight activity, let alone remembering to sing at appropriate times

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
A lot are just straight up lazy, yeah. There isn't any reason to not use it. Several non-caster/healer abilities can still benefit from it, notably Ninja and Dark Knight ones. What else are you really going to use that MP for anyway. With the new cast times, just throw it up during a time when you'd normally use a heavy shot. The damage gains from any source of magical damage will surely be greater than 150 of your own potency, which isn't that much when you consider the lower damage on bows.

Just remember you need roughly half of your MP full to run a full battle voice on Requiem and Paeon. Ballad can be a bit lower since you're still getting the unboosted effect still.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 29, 2016

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Skaw posted:

A lot are just straight up lazy, yeah. There isn't any reason to not use it. Several non-caster/healer abilities can still benefit from it, notably Ninja and Dark Knight ones. What else are you really going to use that MP for anyway. With the new cast times, just throw it up during a time when you'd normally use a heavy shot. The damage gains from any source of magical damage will surely be greater than 150 of your own potency, which isn't that much when you consider the lower damage on bows.

If all you're boosting is a NIN or DRK, I guess I can see a case for getting lazy. But if your healer is contributing like they should be, then you have no excuse.

And don't call me Shirley. :v:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

BrightWing posted:

If all you're boosting is a NIN or DRK, I guess I can see a case for getting lazy. But if your healer is contributing like they should be, then you have no excuse.

And don't call me Shirley. :v:

Just ask the ninja if kassatsu is up, then battle voice Requiem for those sweet boosted mudra crits.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Being lazy is the exact reason I don't use it. I try to dps on WHM, but that's easier to do since its hitting buttons when I wouldn't be instead of adding more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My only gripes with my AST are: 1- how limited Nocturnal sect's usefulness is. Outside of running another AST, there are only a couple encounters I think the better upfront healing and shield on Noct benefic are useful. Things like the Crysalis (with double / triple tankbusters) make it shine, if you have someone with the appropriate regen effects still.
Gripe 2 - how incredibly situational some of the cards are, notably Spear and Spire. They're both great card effects, in very slim situations, but everything else can be good at any time. Regardless, you're drawing one of them 30% of the time, and at best 90% of the time they do nothing for your group.

If I was being wishful, I'd want ASTs to be able to change stances in battle, with a number tweak if needed. Make it so a single AST can't regen and shield the same target if it's a problem. Spear should take a chunk out of everything currently cooling down in addition to the cooldown reduction. Ewer should combine Ewer and Spire's effects, and Spire should be something new.

Regardless it's my favourite class so I can live with its flaws.

• Locked thread