Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

Transit drivers are one of the few professions left where a high-school education can earn you a middle class wage. Yes, middle class. Bus drivers are not working class.

Those guys making 'middle class' wages are doing so by taking the lovely shifts and loads of overtime. Hell my dad would occasionally clear 90K on a good year before he retired but that was by doing poo poo like slugging a jack leg drill a mile underground 12 hours a day for 7 days straight at a time or working through Christmas operating nickel smelters. That poo poo sure as gently caress isn't 'middle class'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Someone help we're running out of places to put snow. Call in the army.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh factory workers used to make good money. They were still working class. Working refers to the job type more than to the salary.

As long as you're not the 1% or the homeless, you're still also middle class.

If you can barely afford to keep the lights on and you're choosing between heat and food, you're not middle class Jordan7hm

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Those guys making 'middle class' wages are doing so by taking the lovely shifts and loads of overtime. Hell my dad would occasionally clear 90K on a good year before he retired but that was by doing poo poo like slugging a jack leg drill a mile underground 12 hours a day for 7 days straight at a time or working through Christmas operating nickel smelters. That poo poo sure as gently caress isn't 'middle class'.

I suppose it depends on the definition. If middle class is defined by 'those who earn +1/-1 standard deviation from the norm' then yeah, bus drivers are middle class. But I guess in terms of the type of labour involved, it can vary.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I respect bus drivers so much for the poo poo they gotta put up with, especially here in Winnipeg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUyQHBGSkk

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you can barely afford to keep the lights on and you're choosing between heat and food, you're not middle class Jordan7hm

Pretty sure you are, and you should vote for Trudeau.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Pretty sure you are, and you should vote for Trudeau.

Incorrect, that person would be "working hard to join the middle class" and should vote for Trudeau

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You're just a millionaire who hasn't been given a fair shot yet because...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Incorrect, that person would be "working hard to join the middle class" and should vote for Trudeau

Basically everyone vote for Trudeau if you want to be middle class

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is typically a rural ontarian heating their home with electric, running a barn heater, or geothermal pump, perhaps a water well.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Middle Class is a salary over 200k a year according to the Liberals.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm working hard to join the upper crust

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I personally use the Marxist definition of class which means that Mark Scheifele is working class and being exploited for his labour. Join the revolution comrade.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Basically everyone vote for Trudeau if you want to be middle class

This is typically a rural ontarian heating their home with electric, running a barn heater, or geothermal pump, perhaps a water well.

Put a roast next to the chimney stack, you can get it to like 85-90 no problem, you just have to finish it off. If you're starting a roast at 42 in the oven, quite frankly you don't deserve to eat.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Stretch Marx posted:

Someone help we're running out of places to put snow. Call in the army.

Have you tried just moving it to the other side of the street?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

I personally use the Marxist definition of class which means that Mark Scheifele is working class and being exploited for his labour. Join the revolution comrade.

If anyone is working class it's Dustin Byfuglien, he's playing way too many minutes this year. Nationalize all Canadian hockey teams.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Put a roast next to the chimney stack, you can get it to like 85-90 no problem, you just have to finish it off. If you're starting a roast at 42 in the oven, quite frankly you don't deserve to eat.

You have a wood stove now? You can double down with baked beans in the can itself

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

You have a wood stove now? You can double down with baked beans in the can itself

Wood pellet furnace. No baked beans but I keep a honey there so there's always a nice flowy one on deck.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

The Dark One posted:

In a sea of terrible arguments, this one made my jaw drop. "It's the trans activists who are enforcing an unnecessary binary! Also, you had better not ask me to use your made up pronouns like they!

See, if this is the level of counter argument you can expect from trans activists, it's no wonder a lot of feminists have reservations about the movement. Where in my post did I say anything about pronouns? You aren't addressing the points I raised or the points of the author of the essay, you are dismissing everyone who might have a different, more flexible view of gender than you by strawmanning them. But I guess it's kinda hard to make an intellectual argument if you don't actually have the reading comprehension to understand what another person is writing, you know, if you actually read the essay at all.

edit: there are multitudes of ways other cultures have dealt with tertiary gender identities but clearly the only one that is acceptable to you is the bizzarely rigid binary that exists in today's western societies

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 16, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Where in my post did I say anything about pronouns?

Only in the very loving passage of the article you quoted? And he's doing the literal opposite of dismissing those who have a "more flexible view of gender", he's pointing out the entitlement of that piece of lovely TERF literature balking at having to use "flexible" pronouns.

The only thing worse than that article is the terrible arguments brought up ITT about it.

vvvvvv
:psypop:

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
:agreed:

Your arguments are pretty lovely

edit: still not addressing the actual arguments, better show everyone how woke I am by absolutely refusing to talk about the gradations of gender found in other cultures different from my own :rolleyes:

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 16, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

sitchensis posted:

Transit drivers are one of the few professions left where a high-school education can earn you a middle class wage. Yes, middle class. Bus drivers are not working class.

I'd wager the majority of bus drivers in Canada work for a small municipality with poor wages (I know it was 13-15 an hour for Viva/York Region Transit a few years ago) or work for a charter bus who make a bit more but have irregular or short hours. Most would earn around 30-60k annually. Only the lucky ones that are with a strong union like TTC are in the 30+ an hour range.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

patonthebach posted:

I'd wager the majority of bus drivers in Canada work for a small municipality with poor wages (I know it was 13-15 an hour for Viva/York Region Transit a few years ago) or work for a charter bus who make a bit more but have irregular or short hours. Most would earn around 30-60k annually. Only the lucky ones that are with a strong union like TTC are in the 30+ an hour range.

Mississauga and Brampton both start at ~$20/hr. for full time and increase from there. The very lowest paid position, part-time maintenance worker, starts at $17/hr.

ATU is pretty solid in the GTA, I'm not sure why VIVA/York is such an outlier, unless it has something to do with the way they actually have a half dozen different contracts with different locals rather than a single large bargaining unit.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

edit: still not addressing the actual arguments, better show everyone how woke I am by absolutely refusing to talk about the gradations of gender found in other cultures different from my own :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to address anything, only pointing out how you failed to realize the person you quoted was sarcastically saying the exact same thing you are saying.

Also, read your quoted passage again: It complains both about trans people reinforcing the gender binary with their horrible body mutilations and about trans people fuzzing the gender binary with their special snowflake pronouns. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I don't know how you can bring up any part of that TERF garbage as positive, let alone that particular passage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My dad retired from BC transit within the last 5 years and he was pulling in maybe 40k, and that was after overtime. Some dudes would kill them selves working every single piece of overtime and split shift and holiday possible and pull in 60k+ but holy poo poo what a miserable life.

Also, on a single bus driver income in the 80's he was able to buy a $100,000 house which is worth nearly a million now. Me and my wife both pull in about what he was making as a bus driver and have no kids and live a life of ascetic frugality compared to my parents at the same age and can barely afford to rent a 2br apartment. Our definitions of class or who's "middle class" has radically shifted over the last generation due to plummeting purchasing power / quality of life.

Canada has this idea that anyone with a decent full time job is "middle class" because as of a generation ago that sort of income was enough to own a modest house, have vacations, have kids, enjoy what we think of as "middle class lifestyle". Now you pretty much need to be "rich" to buy a home without crippling yourself financially, what would have been considered a "middle class" job/income a generation ago now only allows for what would have been considered a poor or working class (failure) lifestyle back then. But people's identities are still so tied up in the idea that anyone who isn't underemployed or lazy can and deserves to be middle class and have the associated quality of life and no one wants to admit to being not middle class because that's reserved for gently caress up failures so they still cheer for programs and policies that benefit the "middle class" despite being not earning anywhere near enough to benefit from them, and in fact are often hurt by them.

We're all temporarily embarrassed middle class homeowners.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Jan posted:

I'm not trying to address anything

Uh yeah, i know

quote:

I don't know how you can bring up any part of that TERF garbage as positive, let alone that particular passage.

Just because you disagree with and even hate what is being said in the essay doesn't mean that trans activists aren't going to have to deal with the serious points about gender essentialism and understanding of gender in different cultural contexts that the author wants to talk about. These aren't problems that are going to go away by falling back on arguing about pronoun use and the other tired orthodox dogma

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner and I are hilariously Middle Class, but not Super Middle Class

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Professor Shark posted:

My partner and I are hilariously Middle Class, but not Super Middle Class

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
dehumanize yourself and face to pride of ownership

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As a new home owner basking in all that pride lemme tell ya it loving sucks and its also a god damned cult I loving hate how everyone at work now assumes I want to talk about poo poo I own or intend to own in the future. gently caress off it's a box I mostly use to sleep in eat in and store my stuff when I'm not out using it in can we please talk about something else.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

RIP MTS and RIP my lower phone and internet prices. Who's property should I vandalize to show my anger?!?!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I meant to post this in this thread but put it in the other one because I'm an illiterate drunk Maritimer:

Things in Nova-Scotia between the Liberals and the Teachers haven't gone well. Despite the government locking out students from the classroom and the subsequent revelation that in preparation for that move, they had contacted day-cares and fast-tracked applications/ expansions that were on year long waiting lists, leading to questions about safety and appropriateness... the Teacher's Union saw the Liberals shoot their own foot and decided to show them how it's done and shot both of theirs.

Now teachers will have a contract imposed on us tomorrow, and the likelihood of a successful court challenge has been diminished thanks to the Union bargaining team agreeing to bring garbage contracts back to the membership. The NSTU president appeared to have turned on the members, encouraging us to vote YES on a contract that was filled with promises to look into issues and gave teachers two days off that no one had asked for, which later turned into a slap-fight between Stephen MacNeil and the NSTU president over what exactly those days off were meant for (MacNeil says that teachers would have to be present in the school and work out of the staff rooms while a sub taught their classes, president says that the days were supposed to be no-questions-asked vacation days, the written terms seem to fall on either side), but now she seems to be saying and doing the right things, but only after a huge push by members to have her resign.

The entire thing is a huge mess, almost as messy as this province with snow lately.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

RIP MTS and RIP my lower phone and internet prices. Who's property should I vandalize to show my anger?!?!

find out where Pallister lives and egg his house

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It turns out our entire country was built on ancient First Nations burial ground. We're cursed.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

find out where Pallister lives and egg his house

That's why he lives in Costa Rica

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

That's why he lives in Costa Rica
Go to Costa Rica and egg his house whilst on a nice vacation. The perfect crime.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

I fully intend to just promo jump between MTS/Bell and the cable incumbent in my area until the end of time for internet. For my cellphone I'm thinking about porting my number to Fongo and just getting a data only plan through Rogers of course then I couldn't sign infinite 2-year contracts for subsidized phones, but who cares at this point.

THC posted:

find out where Pallister Gary Filmon lives and egg his house

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

I fully intend to just promo jump between MTS/Bell and the cable incumbent in my area until the end of time for internet. For my cellphone I'm thinking about porting my number to Fongo and just getting a data only plan through Rogers of course then I couldn't sign infinite 2-year contracts for subsidized phones, but who cares at this point.

Fongo Cell Phone? No problem

quote:

For a limited time only, get a tablet with Fido or bring your own to get 3GB of data for $15 per month2.

Available to Fido postpaid wireless customers3.

Limited Time Offer
Up to 3 GB

$15

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

As a new home owner basking in all that pride lemme tell ya it loving sucks and its also a god damned cult I loving hate how everyone at work now assumes I want to talk about poo poo I own or intend to own in the future. gently caress off it's a box I mostly use to sleep in eat in and store my stuff when I'm not out using it in can we please talk about something else.

I advise entering the exciting world of plane ownership, it will make you feel a lot better about home ownership and how comparatively inexpensive and hassle-free it is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Just because you disagree with and even hate what is being said in the essay doesn't mean that trans activists aren't going to have to deal with the serious points about gender essentialism and understanding of gender in different cultural contexts that the author wants to talk about. These aren't problems that are going to go away by falling back on arguing about pronoun use and the other tired orthodox dogma

The author doesn't want to talk about poo poo. She's regurgitating decades old talking points because she's a coward and an idiot who has bought into second wave feminism's trickle down activism. She doesn't have actual arguments, she's just memememe for paragraphs on end. It's the exact same poo poo as the alt-right going "pronouns, eh?" just dressed up in more progressive language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

I advise entering the exciting world of plane ownership, it will make you feel a lot better about home ownership and how comparatively inexpensive and hassle-free it is.

You can buy a lot of plane for the price of a house in a decent urban centre.