Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I've definitely been keeping my eye out for a low-priced nylon string, I played some in-store and I love it.

i bought a laminate yamaha classical guitar with a gig bag from a local seller for 150 bux, and it plays great

before that, i bought some sketchy no-name classical guitar from a thrift store for 50 bux. someone had flipped the saddle upside down to make it into a lefty lol. it plays well enough

more recently, i bought a new all-solid cedar top classical for 500 bux off of reverb, and thats my main one right now. its a b-stock Godin, but the defect is just cosmetic.

hope that gives you an idea of what you can expect to pay for these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but this is something to do on a nylon string guitar. a steel string guitar might just shred your fingernails if you try to do a bunch of rasgueados on it

you can totally get away with one or two on a steel string. but if you wanna practice these, its gonna take a lot of repetition, and for that you gotta get a nylon string guitar

I will do what I want!!!!

nah it's not like I'd go learning flamenco on the thing, but it's totally fine as more of a strumming accent you throw in now and again. I already strum with the backs of my nails so it's basically the same thing anyway, just quicker. Although I will say I learned the "down with all your fingers, up with the thumb" technique, I dunno if I'd go for the index upstroke on here since it's pulling up on the nail

but you can practice this anywhere - just flick your fingers against your leg or something. Intrigue people at work!!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i always see scratch marks on the top of my fingernails from the strings when i go full flamenco on my steel string

thats true about practicing it on your jeans. and that material might actually smooth out your nails!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The intro to The Addams Family theme (which I figured out by accident practicing a fill in Technical Difficulties) turns out to be a super versatile guitar exercise.

Play on one string? 5 fret legato practice.

3 notes on the bottom string then the 4th on the A? Economy picking/legato

2 notes per string with one finger per fret? Finger independence and alternate picking/downstrokes.

Annoy everyone around you? 100%

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NonzeroCircle posted:

The intro to The Addams Family theme (which I figured out by accident practicing a fill in Technical Difficulties)

:prepop:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Full disclosure: I cannot play much of Technical Difficulties, I was practicing the second triplet bit that brings it back round to the C. I can almost play the 'main' parts of the intro riff at about 90bpm cleanly but those triplets end up being a fret mash.

This vid is really, really helpful for breaking it down into chunks. I'm picking (no pun) my way through it slowly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvypcLDcozw

(The Addams Family theme in G is GABC then ABC#D)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I seriously love playing technical difficulties as an exercise riff. Its hard to maintain tempo, but that's the point.

Sounds thrashy as hell when you get it right.

The hardest part for me is doing it at speed but still getting the notes to ring clearly, I usually try to mute the pedal tone string when I switch down so it sounds better. Tricky tho.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Zaphod42 posted:

I seriously love playing technical difficulties as an exercise riff. Its hard to maintain tempo, but that's the point.

Sounds thrashy as hell when you get it right.

The hardest part for me is doing it at speed but still getting the notes to ring clearly, I usually try to mute the pedal tone string when I switch down so it sounds better. Tricky tho.

The hardest part for me is once you know the gist of it, anything you write that's based around b6-1 will sound like it and you're just doing whatever the exact opposite of polishing a turd is :smith:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

i always see scratch marks on the top of my fingernails from the strings when i go full flamenco on my steel string.

I play clawhammer banjo, where you beat the hell out of (usually) steel strings with the back of a fingernail, and the nails on my right hand are absolutely battle scared as a result. Can't say it's caused any real non-cosmetic damage though, as long as I keep the ends filed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if you're seriously getting into the nail maintenance thing it couldn't hurt to try some clearcoat nail polish (or not clear if you like!) to strengthen and protect them, or some nail hardener products. Like it's not unusual for the pro fingerstyle players to get actual false nails on their picking hand, but a protective layer's an easier option

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not really trying to urgently learn a Bolt Thrower song but I have a question:

How the gently caress does anyone play Bolt Thrower songs?

I can play fast poo poo. That's not that hard. I can deal with tempo changes. But nearly every goddamn bolt thrower song has a bunch of tempo changes that -- and this is really weird and I haven't run into it anywhere else in either metal or classical music -- are relatively subtle (like 10-20bpm up or down starting from 140bpm). If you were notating it using the old-timey Italian words, you'd have to call both parts allegro, but they aren't the same.

Practicing it slow doesn't seem to help that much, and might actually make it harder. And there's no way for me to finish a measure counting at one tempo and immediately start counting at a slightly different tempo, or at least I can't get an intuition or "feel" for it. Maybe I've just neglected rhythm guitar for too many decades but their poo poo seems more difficult to try to learn than Far Beyond the Sun.

could it be metric modulation?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Paul Gilbert is such a dork and I love him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtffSwbDK8I

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Knowing the band I think it has more to do with just writing some riffs and then playing them according to "vibe."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BOLT THROWER

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay poo poo. I never knew I liked Paul Gilbert but damned if I don't.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Paul Gilbert is such a dork and I love him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtffSwbDK8I

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Looking for opinions on a new guitar. I want to get an LP clone that I can put some bareknuckle mules in and am wondering if I should try to snag a firefly or stick with rondo. For reference, I've got a rondo I put p-90s in and it's my main player; I love it to death. I just figure if FF is similar/same quality they may be worth it for the price break.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

stoopidmunkey posted:

Looking for opinions on a new guitar. I want to get an LP clone that I can put some bareknuckle mules in and am wondering if I should try to snag a firefly or stick with rondo. For reference, I've got a rondo I put p-90s in and it's my main player; I love it to death. I just figure if FF is similar/same quality they may be worth it for the price break.

The downside of a firefly is you have to wait until they go up for sale, and then hope you get one you want. Which will be tough because I'm going to buy all the next batch of LPs because I am regretting not getting one a few weeks ago when they were up.

But I think they are worth the wait.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lumpy posted:

The downside of a firefly is you have to wait until they go up for sale, and then hope you get one you want. Which will be tough because I'm going to buy all the next batch of LPs because I am regretting not getting one a few weeks ago when they were up.

But I think they are worth the wait.

Re: Paul Gilbert, it's a shame that the bands he's in all suck so bad because he's a really cool and likable guy on top of being so talented. He just happens to play profoundly lame poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

delightful! love to turn other people on to that nosferatu-guitarist life style

Here's where I'm at right now. Longest my nails have been since I stopped painting them gothblack

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Here's where I'm at right now. Longest my nails have been since I stopped painting them gothblack

nice, hows the thumb nail?

for me, the thumb nail is longest one. i file a ramp on the right side of it, which is opposite to my fingers. i file a ramp on the left side of my fingers, like you.

the thumb ramp is there for a different reason: the string never touches that part of my thumb nail, so the nail doesn't need to be long on that side. and i use that part of my thumb on touchscreens. if i didn't file the nail down on that side, it would make it hard to use a smart phone.

thats what works for me, anyway. how you shape your thumb is going to depend on your hand morphology, joint mobility, and plucking technique.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i never pluck a guitar string with my pinky finger, so i just cut that nail all the way down

most people don't use the pinky. but i know some people who do, including my old guitar teacher.

one other thing: when checking your fingernails, try looking at your hand with the palm facing you. ideally you should see just a little bit of fingernail peeking over each fingertip. and it should be roughly the same amount for each finger. your nails could look the same length from the top, but different from the bottom. for example, my index finger needs a much shorter nail, because the fingerpad is a different shape. that one always hooks on the strings before the others, and it needs to be filed down more than the others.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nice, hows the thumb nail?

for me, the thumb nail is longest one. i file a ramp on the right side of it, which is opposite to my fingers. i file a ramp on the left side of my fingers, like you.

the thumb ramp is there for a different reason: the string never touches that part of my thumb nail, so the nail doesn't need to be long on that side. and i use that part of my thumb on touchscreens. if i didn't file the nail down on that side, it would make it hard to use a smart phone.

thats what works for me, anyway. how you shape your thumb is going to depend on your hand morphology, joint mobility, and plucking technique.

Thumb's basically what you describe, I pretty much let my nails grow out until they were uncomfortable length, then played a bit to see where the strings hit, and then removed the rest so I could feel sane. Somehow, having "utilitarian" long nails doesn't bother me nearly as much as just long nails in general do.

And weirdly enough, my pinky goes loving NUTS when I play. I do all sorts of sweeps, fiddly high e bits, and flourishes with it completely mindlessly.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Re: Paul Gilbert, it's a shame that the bands he's in all suck so bad because he's a really cool and likable guy on top of being so talented. He just happens to play profoundly lame poo poo.

Excuse me, Racer X is a great band!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also I share my guitar learning progress/songs I'm working on writing on my youtube channel, if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhAT5WiYl8

I'm not great but I have fun and I'm lightyears ahead of where I was last year thanks to people from this very subforum.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Thumb's basically what you describe, I pretty much let my nails grow out until they were uncomfortable length, then played a bit to see where the strings hit, and then removed the rest so I could feel sane. Somehow, having "utilitarian" long nails doesn't bother me nearly as much as just long nails in general do.

IMO big difference between long, unkempt fingernails and ones that have been shaped and polished with purpose

some people will think its gross no matter what. but i had one woman compliment me on the way they look. truly a land of contrasts

Brawnfire posted:

And weirdly enough, my pinky goes loving NUTS when I play. I do all sorts of sweeps, fiddly high e bits, and flourishes with it completely mindlessly.

man thats cool... dont fight it, i guess!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

he's not my cup of tea either but he's arguably one of the lowkey more influential guitarists of the past 30 years just for his instructional videos, and to his credit of all the cheesy shred dudes he seems like he takes himself the least seriously

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I've been fiddling my new semi-acoustic electric and the out of the box strings are shredding my fretting hand-- I have been using Martin Silk & Steels for years on my acoustic so these electric strings are hella jarring, can someone recommend electric strings with a softer feel?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's not my cup of tea either but he's arguably one of the lowkey more influential guitarists of the past 30 years just for his instructional videos, and to his credit of all the cheesy shred dudes he seems like he takes himself the least seriously

Oh yeah, he's an absolute delight and I really enjoy his playing and his general attitude, I just hate the bands he plays in.

Gnumonic posted:

Excuse me, Racer X is a great band!

Strong disagree.

edit: Sheehan also seems like a really cool dude and I love his approach to bass, the video about his and Paul's touring rigs is really cool. Again, just a super lame band though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
How could a band with a song called Phallic Tractor be bad?

I do love Paul Gilbert's solo stuff.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: Sheehan also seems like a really cool dude

apart from the whole scientology thing

lazerwolf posted:

How could a band with a song called Phallic Tractor be bad?

if limp bizkit had a song called phallic tractor they'd still be limp bizkit

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 6, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

osker posted:

I've been fiddling my new semi-acoustic electric and the out of the box strings are shredding my fretting hand-- I have been using Martin Silk & Steels for years on my acoustic so these electric strings are hella jarring, can someone recommend electric strings with a softer feel?

Maybe elixirs or one of the other coated strings.
Do you know what's on it now?
Nickle strings should have a softer feel than stainless too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4r8kIaK_8U

This is a song I've been playing around with for a long time, I think I'm finally pleased with its general shape.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 6, 2020

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Joe Stump's actually pretty laid back once you get over how ridiculous he looks.

I don't know how someone could not like Racer X unless they just hate 80s metal. Scarified/Technical Difficulties are the closest things to "shred classics" that I can think of. But even if you hate that stuff, I think they do really great hair metal covers of stuff.

Normally if I'm not crazy about the original song, I won't like a cover, but their versions of Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult... I think?) and Heart of a Lion (Judas Priest) better than the originals.

I might be a little biased because I grew up a few towns over from where he did, and he always made sure to drag his solo tours and G3 to his hometown in bumfuck Western PA, which never got any music worth going to. I saw him live before I even started playing guitar, and some of those Racer X songs were the reason I picked up the instrument.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Gnumonic posted:

I don't know how someone could not like Racer X unless they just hate 80s metal. Scarified/Technical Difficulties are the closest things to "shred classics" that I can think of. But even if you hate that stuff, I think they do really great hair metal covers of stuff.
Cuz when I think Racer X I think "Street Lethal" and the rest of the poo poo with terrible vocals, but when I think of Technical Difficulties and Scarified I think of Space Ship Live. The good Racer X poo poo may as well just be Gilbert solo act stuff given he can cover it fine with any other rhythm section fit to play with him.

Like it's hard not to see the Racer X classics as just Gilbert having fun when the stuff that immediately comes to mind is all poo poo he's played solo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I take it back, that one-off Beatles cover band he was in that did note-perfect versions of everything except WMGGW (which he went absolutely apeshit on) was good.

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not trying to discount or invalidate your inspiration here, I'm simply speaking from my personal taste. I like a lot of 80s metal, but not really hair metal. The closest I'll get to that is probably Maiden, but I also love Priest, Motorhead, DRI (shuddup, they count as metal) etc.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Thumposaurus posted:

Maybe elixirs or one of the other coated strings.
Do you know what's on it now?
Nickle strings should have a softer feel than stainless too.

Pretty sure they are stainless and I just grabbed a caliper and the gauges exceed the lights I use on the acoustic. I'm stopping by the guitar shop tomorrow and just grabbing an assortment of light gauge electric strings and seeing where I end up.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

im trying out a new recording setup and i thought i would try to play your song https://soundcloud.com/user-525134372/pending-song

hope you dont mind

i lost the first part of this recording, so all i had left was just me goofing around after i had already played it straight the first time

i played a mostly straight version of this song, no goofing. but i did change some chords Am -> C and Em -> G when i felt like it, and put in Picardy third at the end as a joke

https://soundcloud.com/user-525134372/hearthstrings

e: if you use metronome next time you record, that will make it easier for me to play along with your recording

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 6, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

im trying out a new recording setup and i thought i would try to play your song https://soundcloud.com/user-525134372/pending-song

hope you dont mind

i lost the first part of this recording, so all i had left was just me goofing around after i had already played it straight the first time

i played a mostly straight version of this song, no goofing. but i did change some chords Am -> C and Em -> G when i felt like it, and put in Picardy third at the end as a joke

https://soundcloud.com/user-525134372/hearthstrings

e: if you use metronome next time you record, that will make it easier for me to play along with your recording

Oh hey, that's cool! I didn't really expect covers, so sorry about the lack of metronome! I like the direction you went with them.

It's actually kind of surreal hearing someone else playing "Hearthstrings," it's very pretty

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Extreme Volume II is just a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Oh hey, that's cool! I didn't really expect covers, so sorry about the lack of metronome! I like the direction you went with them.

make sure to use earbuds with the metronome so the click doesn't leak into the microphone

dont ask me how i know lol

its a good idea to use a click track every time you record, even though it makes it more difficult at first. you can also play along to a drum track or some other recording, as long as it has solid rhythm. it makes a big difference to the listener when the tempo is locked in

Brawnfire posted:

It's actually kind of surreal hearing someone else playing "Hearthstrings," it's very pretty

did you write this song? it's doing a lot of stuff right IMO