Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
If Odo was at your party and you saw him casually drinking from a cup, you would look for that cup while cleaning up because it was a cool cup. And upon not finding it, you would forever suspect Odo of stealing a cool cup that you don't remember not owning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Danaru posted:

They even specifically said they dont want or need anything from the Bajorans since Bajor clearly sucks rear end at farming, but Bajor was like "oh but we're just too good and enlightened to not help you :smuggo: so go die somewhere else, flakey". Bajor had nothing to lose and everything to gain, but letting poor people on their planet was just too high a price to end a global famine

Hey mind if we live in your back yard? There’s a pretty good chance that we’ll wind up slowly and painfully starving to death right in front of you. Oh no I don’t expect you to help if that happens, it’s cool. Don’t go out of your way or nothing.

We choose this over the free mansion down the street. We just really dig the vibe here.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Temper Trudeau posted:

I would imagine there is some way to wave off what I'm about to suggest like laws of thermodynamics and such, but I think Odo would only weight maybe 40lbs.

He can't grow more of himself, he can only inflate. He has no nutritional intake other than himself so he isn't adding any mass.
When Llwaxana and Odo were in the falling turbo lift and he made his arms into metal things, you could tell that he was having a hard time with it because deep down he is a vain individual and wanted to maintain his humanoid form which was most likely to be empty, having moved all his goo into his hands for density.
He also rewrote time and caused a bunch of people who happened to be all his best friends progeny to not ever exist cause he figured out how to make his peen dense enough for Kira.
Odo is a troubled 40lbs goo-man.

With the caveat that I fully understand this doesn't make sense, they explicitly reference Changlings being able to alter their mass multiple times in the show.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey mind if we live in your back yard? There’s a pretty good chance that we’ll wind up slowly and painfully starving to death right in front of you. Oh no I don’t expect you to help if that happens, it’s cool. Don’t go out of your way or nothing.

We choose this over the free mansion down the street. We just really dig the vibe here.

Nobody even lived on the land they wanted to use because it was a wasteland, it would be more like if I owned a big stretch of useless swamp and some dude offered to turn it into an apple orchard for free and let me have all the apples I wanted as long as he could also build a shack and live there, and also poo poo like adverse possession doesn't exist, but I still said no because I'd rather have a big empty swamp than an orchard with a guy living there giving me free poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Danaru posted:

They even specifically said they dont want or need anything from the Bajorans since Bajor clearly sucks rear end at farming, but Bajor was like "oh but we're just too good and enlightened to not help you :smuggo: so go die somewhere else, flakey". Bajor had nothing to lose and everything to gain, but letting poor people on their planet was just too high a price to end a global famine
i think that was one of the most realistic political choices the bajorans actually made. like, yes, the aliens promised they didn't want anything but the bajorans were like "yeah, but what if you need something". like, it's all fine if you want to go and die in a radioactive desert, but don't die on our radioactive desert because we don't want to watch you die there, and we won't just watch you die if it comes down to that but we also can't afford to help you if it does. bajor had quite a bit to lose if things went south - their people already fight each other over night lights, they'd certainly fight aliens over food, and "through inaction or action caused an entire alien race to be genocided" is probably a few demerits on a federation application (as well as losing them their high-horse vis a vis the cardassians)

like modern refugee crises, nations have a moral duty to accept refugees but they also have a moral duty to care for those refugees and not just - say - economically confine them to tent ghettos or imprison them on a torture island. this isn't a case where the refugees don't have somewhere else to go and that's the only option - it's a case where the bajorans are making a difficult decision between their moral duties and their social capacities. the skreeans might be angry with the outcome but at least they'd be reliably alive even if they'll spend forever sulking on their brand new planet all to themselves.

that's not even getting into how much of a future clusterfuck you're signing up your people when your entire planet shares a religion where their gods constantly mention the primacy of being bajoran, being of bajor, and you're going to let a whole bunch of aliens land and colonise who say that all they want to do is help but also happen to have a monoreligious culture that says your planet is theirs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
shut up and post stupid meta stats

Longest Star Trek TOS fic on AO3: Kirk/Kahn (WC: 1,038,693)

Longest Star Trek TOS fic on AO3 (complete): Kirk/McCoy (WC: 636,535)

Longest Star Trek TOS fic on AO3 (het): Kahn/Original Female Character (WC: 587,330)

Longest Star Trek TAS fic on AO3: Spock/ Uhura

Longest Star Trek TNG fic on AO3: Q doesn’t get his powers back (WC: 364,812)

Longest Star Trek TNG fic on AO3 (complete): Picard/Riker (WC: 319,361)

Longest Star Trek DS9 fic on AO3: Bashir in Camp 371 (WC: 382,318)

Longest Star Trek DS9 fic on AO3 (complete): Jadzia/Kira (WC: 368,115)

Frame of reference: John Steinback's The Grapes of Wrath ( WC: 169,481)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You're all over-thinking the Skrrean situation. It wasn't because of religion, space, potential future conflicts, or even having to give them aid. The Bajorans didn't want them around because they had really bad dandruff.

Memory Alpha posted:

"The Skrreea appeared much like Humans, though they also had unusual skin which appeared rough. It had a condition which caused them to leave flakes of skin behind."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

something that for some reason a reasonable person(s) cut from the produced episode, but is still specified in the script, is that they were also dark-skinned.

quote:

Four humanoids MATERIALIZE, huddled together in befuddlement
and fear... their garb is scruffy, their dark skin an off-
putting mass of lumps and eczema-like scales.

Pick posted:

shut up
never

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember reading a Star Trek / Star Wars crossover that involved the Enterprise-E blowing away Star Destroyers, sending the Defiant through to the Star Wars universe, and Troi punching out Palpatine

I can't find it now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember reading a Star Trek / Star Wars crossover that involved the Enterprise-E blowing away Star Destroyers, sending the Defiant through to the Star Wars universe, and Troi punching out Palpatine

I can't find it now

canon

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Temper Trudeau posted:

If Odo was at your party and you saw him casually drinking from a cup, you would look for that cup while cleaning up because it was a cool cup. And upon not finding it, you would forever suspect Odo of stealing a cool cup that you don't remember not owning.

I wonder if Quark randomly phaser stunned walls or chairs or cups while he was doing illegal shennigans, just in case it was Odo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Prop Hunt is high stakes in the future

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Bajorans didn’t look at the situation and come to the conclusion that they they didn’t want the Skreeans there. They looked at the Skreeans and then came up with the situation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuturePastNow posted:

I can't find it now

My favorite was always the one where the Empire brings a Death Star. They conquer the Federation almost instantly but the Borg prove to be a nuisance, so they blackmail Picard into helping wipe them out. Oh, and everyone from the Star Wars galaxy absolutely refuses to use a transporter -- they see it as a machine that kills you and then makes a clone to replace you.

e: Found it, first place I looked: http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/Conquest/index.html

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
personally I just thought that kirk/kahn is a pairing that might well require a million words of justification, but then i realized if someone just said "PLEASE give me a handjob" over and over for whatever the equivalent of 1.1 million words is (and counting!)... sigh... i would probably just do it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i imagine 90% of st/sw fics revolve around the entire loving bridge crew discovering they are force sensitive

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pick posted:

personally I just thought that kirk/kahn is a pairing that might well require a million words of justification, but then i realized if someone just said "PLEASE give me a handjob" over and over for whatever the equivalent of 1.1 million words is (and counting!)... sigh... i would probably just do it

Don't give goons any ideas

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Data, your midochlorian count is off the charts!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Danaru posted:

The baseball episode is good and Bajor is loving stupid for not letting the Skrreeans turn their lovely wasteland into food these are the two hills I have pledged to die on

The baseball episode is a masterpiece. The Skrreeans are gross because dandruff, but serve effectively as a mirror held up to the Bajorans and their faith.

Goonspeed, sir.

Goonspeed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i imagine 90% of st/sw fics revolve around the entire loving bridge crew discovering they are force sensitive

lwuxana fo sho

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm pretty sure 90% of those fics involve determining who has the better tech, Star Trek or Star Wars, and involve transporters, Death Stars, and Genesis Devices

Like, imagine what would happen if you detonated the Genesis Device on the Death Star??? Given that the detonation on the Reliant in the Mutara Nebula created the formation of a habitable (albeit unstable) planet WITH A STAR, does that mean something similar would happen on the Death Star? Or, was the extra matter from the nebula necessary for the formation of the star?

SO MANY QUESTIONS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm pretty sure 90% of those fics involve determining who has the better tech, Star Trek or Star Wars, and involve transporters, Death Stars, and Genesis Devices

Like, imagine what would happen if you detonated the Genesis Device on the Death Star??? Given that the detonation on the Reliant in the Mutara Nebula created the formation of a habitable (albeit unstable) planet WITH A STAR, does that mean something similar would happen on the Death Star? Or, was the extra matter from the nebula necessary for the formation of the star?

SO MANY QUESTIONS

this post caused a temporal anomaly that undid three times you had sex

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

this post caused a temporal anomaly that undid three times you had sex

Meh, wouldn't be the first time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Meh, wouldn't be the first time
it would take that too, reducing you to a total of -2

source: poster in star trek thread

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pick posted:

The remaining 6% is that in the Union, powerful people still get executed and you can't be fired for daydrinking at work

Literally the only person to do so was the head of the Cardassian Union at the time.

They can't fire Legate Trump for spending all day watching Spock's News and putting his face on every giant public viewscreen in Cardassia bitching about the cloaked mine wall, either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
dukat was extremely drinking when sisko called him over to explain that tom riker is the evil one. that was work. that wasnt no god damned vacation. hell, they pulled him from takin his son to cardassia disneyworl for that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Suddenly I want to see Data and K-2SO debate something. Anything. (With Kryten as moderator.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gutcruncher posted:

Eh bajorans do some dumb poo poo but I have to side with bajor on this one. Burdening the planet that’s already short on food because “I super swear we good at farming” is a bad idea, especially when there’s already a non lovely planet already set aside for them with ships ready to ferry them over at any time.

Plus the last time aliens invited themselves to the party there were death camps involved.

They should have given them a small peninsula for a limited amount of people to test if they could sustain themselves there as a pilot program while the rest of the population went to the other planet, and if they were able to work that peninsula then they could slowly immigrate there over time

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Spock's News

Nice

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I want to see Data and K-2SO debate something. Anything. (With Kryten as moderator.)

Also no Daleks in the audience because Dr. Who and anyone responsible for it being developed never existed.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if Quark randomly phaser stunned walls or chairs or cups while he was doing illegal shennigans, just in case it was Odo.

I can see Quark staggering drunk around the bar after closing hours, yelling at random objects in suspicion that they're really Odo. If he thought to use a phaser, he quickly decided against it in case it would land him in the brig with an "assault on an officer", thus why he didn't know Rom took his weapon apart until the station got raided.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Don't forget that new good Star Trek(The Orville) starts Season 2 tomorrow night!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Temper Trudeau posted:

I would imagine there is some way to wave off what I'm about to suggest like laws of thermodynamics and such, but I think Odo would only weight maybe 40lbs.

He can't grow more of himself, he can only inflate. He has no nutritional intake other than himself so he isn't adding any mass.
When Llwaxana and Odo were in the falling turbo lift and he made his arms into metal things, you could tell that he was having a hard time with it because deep down he is a vain individual and wanted to maintain his humanoid form which was most likely to be empty, having moved all his goo into his hands for density.
He also rewrote time and caused a bunch of people who happened to be all his best friends progeny to not ever exist cause he figured out how to make his peen dense enough for Kira.
Odo is a troubled 40lbs goo-man.

He changes mass. Somehow. Sometimes he's an empty bag, and some guys put their gambling winnings in the ODObag and carry back to their ship without noticing anything odd. That bag couldn't have weighed more than 5 or 10 pounds without it being weird.

We also see people carry a bucket of Odo like it's nothing, again that's gotta be under 10 pounds. We see Odo turn into a bird sized bird and fly around, which would have had him under 5 pounds or he wouldn't fly. But when he's humanoid he's dense enough that he doesn't just blow away in a stiff breeze.

One option is that he just picks up stray molecules when he needs to put on weight. Dust and stuff. But that doesn't work very well on a clean space station, and he'd leave piles of dust behind whenever he needed to drop weight in a hurry.

The other option is that it's space magic phasing in and out of reality somehow. Like that business with the traveller, "That space and time and thought... aren't the separate things they appear to be? I just thought the formula you were using said something like that." Changelings manipulate matter the way Travellers manipulate space and time.

If you had enough Changelings they might even be able to pull off some of the stuff Q does, like appearing to magic up Sherwood Forest and appropriate Merry Man clothes for everyone, but nobody wants that. Because then your ol' timey baggy underwear is actually a sapient person. Nope.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you had enough Changelings they might even be able to pull off some of the stuff Q does, like appearing to magic up Sherwood Forest and appropriate Merry Man clothes for everyone, but nobody wants that. Because then your ol' timey baggy underwear is actually a sapient person. Nope.

If you introduced DeviantArt to the Great Link, I bet this would become a changeling fetish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the dumb thing is that its surname based. just change your name. or marry someone.

it does make more sense that surnames lead with bajoran names if historically a persons caste was what was important

Marriage would be a Catch-22 at best, because you sure as poo poo wouldn't marry someone from another caste. It'd be WRONG!! :wotwot:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Because then your ol' timey baggy underwear is actually a sapient person. Nope.

Sounds like Gene’s Vision to me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kibayasu posted:

Sounds like Gene’s Vision to me.

Do you think the underwear changeling gets nervous or embarrassed? Sorry if this offends anyone I just thought it was a funny thing haha

Another thing I am wondering is what do you think changeling underwear smells like haha just curious for laughs haha I would like to smell them

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you think the underwear changeling gets nervous or embarrassed? Sorry if this offends anyone I just thought it was a funny thing haha

Another thing I am wondering is what do you think changeling underwear smells like haha just curious for laughs haha I would like to smell them

I was trying to find a way to write this.

Thank you for doing this.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
In one of the ds9 novels it's explained that changelings change mass by shifting it into another subspace dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

In one of the ds9 novels it's explained that changelings change mass by shifting it into another subspace dimension

Someone was reading Animorphs when they wrote that novel :hmmyes:.