Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Found the second one right after making my original post, had to google that third slab its pretty obscure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
oh man im pumped, it gets unlocked midnight yeah?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I found a great way to be interested in DS3 again, since I needed to start a new char in prep for the DLC: play DS2!

Ugh. Even after really trying to like it..I just.....don't. Someone else put it best: "if it wasn't called Dark Souls _ it would be game of the year" but as a Souls game....ehhh....

So yeah....back to 3! Running up a Hollow/Luck build, with a slight dip into Int so I can run Hidden Body/Spook because lolz.

If this thread starts getting too filled with black bars, I will probably dip for a bit.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh, do I need to buy the DLC again if I got the Season Pass?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

So uh, do I need to buy the DLC again if I got the Season Pass?
I'm pretty sure Steam is being stupid about this, and I don't think you'll need to buy it separately. The Steam description of Ashes of Andariel says "as part of the Dark Souls 3 season pass..." but then it lists them as separate items and gives you the option of purchasing both together. Very odd.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's a good way to swindle money I guess :shrug:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HaB posted:

So I found a great way to be interested in DS3 again, since I needed to start a new char in prep for the DLC: play DS2!

Ugh. Even after really trying to like it..I just.....don't. Someone else put it best: "if it wasn't called Dark Souls _ it would be game of the year" but as a Souls game...

True. As a Souls game 2 is best in the series by objective measures (statistical transparency is delightful) and game of the decade instead.

And not a copy of the first, also important.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm seeing rumors of an early release on PS4, but don't see it mentioned in the last couple of pages. Is it still officially midnight EST or whatever?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can preload it now on PS4 (maybe only if you have the season pass?) but it doesn't unlock until midnight no, at least afaik

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This...doesn't seem that early to me? Sure Steam will get it this afternoon but console PS4 is basically one hour earlier?

Link

quote:

“We have since corrected this scheduling error and the Dark Souls III Ashes of Ariandel DLC will now be available on October 24, 2016 at 3 PM PDT for Steam players and October 24, 2016 at 9 PM PDT for console players.

“We regret any confusion this may have caused to players and Dark Souls III fans; we look forward to seeing everyone within the world of Ariandel.”

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know why but DS2 combat constantly felt like everyone was covered in glue. Just... Slow.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

EC posted:

This...doesn't seem that early to me? Sure Steam will get it this afternoon but console PS4 is basically one hour earlier?

Link

Release dates are convoluted at Bamco.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Friendly Humour posted:

I don't know why but DS2 combat constantly felt like everyone was covered in glue. Just... Slow.

This is a good description.

All the movement feels this way to me. The sprint animation feels/looks to me like only the animation is speeding up, but I'm not moving forward any faster. You can kind of tell you are sprinting if you're in a narrow hallway. Otherwise, it's like you're waist deep in molasses the whole time.

Tallgeese posted:

True. As a Souls game 2 is best in the series by objective measures (statistical transparency is delightful) and game of the decade instead.

And not a copy of the first, also important.

I fear you misunderstand me, or I am misunderstanding you. I can't stand DS2. I think the ONLY quality of life improvements it has over 1 that I actually care about are the ability to use more than one of a given item at a time, and all the bonfires being warpable right away. Otherwise - the whole thing is just...meh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

Link

We're getting it at midnight so technically it's a fair bit earlier since updates to the PSN store are usually at noon. Not that that matters unless you're willing to stay up very late.

HaB posted:

This is a good description.

All the movement feels this way to me. The sprint animation feels/looks to me like only the animation is speeding up, but I'm not moving forward any faster. You can kind of tell you are sprinting if you're in a narrow hallway. Otherwise, it's like you're waist deep in molasses the whole time.

I've always found that an interesting perception because on one hand I have to agree that it does feel a bit slower, but on the other hand that is absolutely not the case and it's probably the fastest Souls game after Bloodborne. You run faster and swing your weapons faster than any of the other games, and the roll comes out just as speedily as the others.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only thing slower about 2 than the others is that there's slightly more recovery to attacks. Your attack actually comes out faster and has less windup than the other games, but you have longer to recover from between hits instead.

Plus yeah, your movement speed is downright zippy in 2. It's the easiest game in the series to not have to dodge or block in because you run so fast.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Right after the patch I invaded a Bloodshade with a Washing Pole who I guess was testing out poise, because he had full Havel's on. Unfortunately, he was over-encumbered and couldn't roll, which I found out when I buffed up my Swordspear and saw that animation play. I cast another on him and he waved, so I just cast the 3rd and put an end to it. Who would have thought not being able to roll was bad?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

HaB posted:

I fear you misunderstand me, or I am misunderstanding you. I can't stand DS2

I fear you have bad opinions.

Nah just kidding DS2 is very divisive. I always loved it but it hasn't been until the release of 3 that more and more people have stopped to think and say, "hey, DS2 was really good and in many ways better than 3."

They are all good games with some deep flaws, but man do I have a soft spot for 2. It's not as if 3 was as tightly designed as the a-team groupies had hoped, as it seriously takes a few steps backwards in some key areas.

The massive open world, the colorful graphics, the lack of a pathetic "me too" attempt at recreating DS1, the superior PVP, the sheer variety of builds, just some things off the top of my head. Bosses were a weak spot in 2 though, and that's enough to sour many DS fans.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Right after the patch I invaded a Bloodshade with a Washing Pole who I guess was testing out poise, because he had full Havel's on. Unfortunately, he was over-encumbered and couldn't roll, which I found out when I buffed up my Swordspear and saw that animation play. I cast another on him and he waved, so I just cast the 3rd and put an end to it. Who would have thought not being able to roll was bad?

Good thing the washing pole no poise moves :banjo:

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
hoboy this first dlc boss
hoboy

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Wait did they fix poise?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

not really. works the same as it did before

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Wait did they fix poise?

it was always working as intended! they "improved / adjusted" poise values, but the good news is the system was never broke in the first place!

edit: many people seem to conflate poise not working the way they want it to work with poise being broken. it works the way it works in this game, which might be significantly different than in other souls games!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think we can all agree that we know what people mean when they say "fix" and we don't need to bother correcting them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think we can all agree that we know what people mean when they say "fix" and we don't need to bother correcting them.

Not really, since a lot of people seem to be under the impression that poise literally does nothing. Nevermind that calling it broken in the first place is incredibly stupid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
poise chat is the loving worst

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

crimedog posted:

Good thing the washing pole no poise moves :banjo:

It was hilarious. I'm sure his reasoning was something like "If only someone would stand and bang with me..." until someone actually did it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Genocyber posted:

Not really, since a lot of people seem to be under the impression that poise literally does nothing. Nevermind that calling it broken in the first place is incredibly stupid.

Well people got that impression because what it does is so hard to perceive that it took awhile for people to actually figure it out. One could say that it is something that could be fixed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
one could also say who gives a poo poo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Probably a lot of people coming back to the thread after a long break due to the dlc release.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Probably a lot of people coming back to the thread after a long break due to the dlc release.

:yeah:

So they finally figured out what Poise actually does in this game?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's something about hyperarmor, I forget. it barely matters so don't think about it too hard

that "early" ps4 release is pretty lame

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Whoops, took my main character in to ng+. At least I have a pvp character progressed right up to the dlc bonefire.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Your Computer posted:

:yeah:

So they finally figured out what Poise actually does in this game?

It's actually pretty simple, basically your poise is only ever 'on' when you're in the middle of an attack animation with certain weapons, if you take a big enough hit to break your poise even while doing such an attack you will stagger, otherwise you poise through the hit. Previously the amount of poise needed was such that if you had even a small amount of poise from armour and were using a weapon with poise-enabling attacks you could probably poise some weapons. There's also a modifier based on the type of weapon you're using and type of weapon you're being hit by.

What this boils down to is big weapons let you poise through bigger hits, and more poise also helps. You can have infinite poise and you will still get staggered out of straight sword swings. The biggest change from the patch is that halberds are worse at poising through stuff now in general, and wearing super heavy armour such as havels lets you poise through noticably larger hits if you're using a GS or especially UGS, great axe, or great mace.

DS3 does not have hyper armour per se because using the original definition of that term from fighting games you can't stagger someone with hyper armour ever, this did exist in DeS but all the subsequent Souls games have various types of poise instead which can be broken if you get hit enough.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Ok sorry for asking such a stupid question?

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Has the DLC patch hit on Steam yet? Just wanna make sure I'm good to go when it drops tonight.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Drops at 3pm pacific on steam. So a little over 3 hour from this post.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

It's actually pretty simple,

-snip-

I see! Thanks, I'm glad someone finally figured it out :v:

Question to people who are already playing/played the DLC: I saw someone mention level 80 as recommended, but how hilariously steamroll-ey does it get if you're... way above that? I realize now that I should've made a DLC ready character but I've been busy with other stuff and all the characters I have available now are either far below or far above 80 (like level ~100 and ready to begin NG+) :(

I mean, knowing myself I'll play this DLC with everything from magic to fists only eventually but I don't want my first time through to be a snoozefest.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You access the DLC at the Cleansing Chapel so you could bring one of your higher leveled guys to ng+ and rush there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I am personally excited for the idea that the downloadable content will allow for some more branching out during the campaign

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KingSlime posted:

I am personally excited for the idea that the downloadable content will allow for some more branching out during the campaign

There isn't like an "exit" from the DLC is there? Would be cool if it gave you an alternate route to Irithyll, given the snow theme.