Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've quite literally NEVER UNDERSTOOD why people who drive a manual will prefer to sit at a traffic light on a hill with their foot on the brake for 20 seconds or more and then inevitably roll backwards towards you before they manage to pull off.

That's what the handbrake is for! At lights I just put it on so I don't have to do anything. As the light begins to turn, throw it into 1st, handbrake off and I'm away. If using the handbrake is too much of a chore whilst you're driving, take a loving bus.

Even in completely flat Miami I’ll use the service brakes while waiting at a light because you’re less likely to have some oaf in a Mercedes minivan rear end you if the back of your car is lit up like Christmas. Yes, even if they’ve been stopped behind me for two minutes already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Handbrake? Haven't seen one of those in a while

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

All the folks who use the light as an opportunity to catch up on their texting tend to watch the brakelights of the car in front of them in their peripheral vision and start moving when they shut off. Not sitting on your brakes sounds like a good way to get rear ended.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

All the folks who use the light as an opportunity to catch up on their texting tend to watch the brakelights of the car in front of them in their peripheral vision and start moving when they shut off. Not sitting on your brakes sounds like a good way to get rear ended.

Yeah. If I'm stationary on a road anywhere, you better be sure my rear end end is lit up like a christmas tree. Anything else is just asking to be rear ended.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimbo305 posted:

This feels like a Price is Right game where I need to figure out the missing digit to the hp what would make the statement true.

That’s the name of the gearbox! ZF 8HP.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Laserface posted:

Why is this exclusive to manual drivers? Auto drivers can't do the same thing because?

I never said they couldn't.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah. If I'm stationary on a road anywhere, you better be sure my rear end end is lit up like a christmas tree. Anything else is just asking to be rear ended.

...actually probably the reason why when I went to the US aged 9 our car was piled into from behind.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

What do the Audi RS7, Alfa Romeo Giulia, and Aston Martin DB11 all have in common?

They’re all great fun to drive and all use ZF’s 8-speed auto.

I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've quite literally NEVER UNDERSTOOD why people who drive a manual will prefer to sit at a traffic light on a hill with their foot on the brake for 20 seconds or more and then inevitably roll backwards towards you before they manage to pull off.

That's what the handbrake is for! At lights I just put it on so I don't have to do anything. As the light begins to turn, throw it into 1st, handbrake off and I'm away. If using the handbrake is too much of a chore whilst you're driving, take a loving bus.

If you roll backwards more than a foot while hill-starting with a manual transmission, you need to practice more. I drive a standard on the streets of San Francisco and the only time I can remember using the handbrake on a hill start was when I was on a particularly steep hill, three other adults in my car, it was raining, and some jerkbag had pulled up right to my rear bumper.

Also yes not having your brake lights on while stopped is a great way to have some zombie pile into you.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I didn't know that the Fiat 500 came with hill hold when we bought our first one for my wife. I thought the brakes were sticking until I looked into it, then felt really dumb. I have it turned off on my abarth because it just feels loving wrong and I know how to drive a MT without rolling back 10 feet at a light.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sagebrush posted:

If you roll backwards more than a foot while hill-starting with a manual transmission, you need to practice more. I drive a standard on the streets of San Francisco and the only time I can remember using the handbrake on a hill start was when I was on a particularly steep hill, three other adults in my car, it was raining, and some jerkbag had pulled up right to my rear bumper.

Also yes not having your brake lights on while stopped is a great way to have some zombie pile into you.

You shouldn’t be rolling back at all ever so it shouldn’t matter how close the car behind you is.

The handbrake isn’t some sort of hack for steep hills, it’s the correct way to do a hill start.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

You move back when you let off the brakes with the parking brake engaged though... The better way is to heel-toe it if possible because if something goes wrong then your foot is still on the brake, and your brake lights are signaling the driver behind you what you're doing; like people have said above, there's a good chance the driver behind you starts creeping forward as soon as your brake lights disappear, and they can hit you even if you aren't moving

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
My car has an electronic parking brake, you're encouraged to use it at stop lights. I do, but of course my brake lights don't light up. I wish there was a setting to enable brake lights with the EPB engaged.

Nice feature is when you step on the gas a little, it automatically comes off. So I use it at basically every stop light unless it's super short.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dissss posted:

You shouldn’t be rolling back at all ever so it shouldn’t matter how close the car behind you is.

The handbrake isn’t some sort of hack for steep hills, it’s the correct way to do a hill start.

Yes, and the correct way to steer is with your hands at 10 and 2, hand-over-hand all the time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine using the handbrake at a hill instead of just dumping the clutch at 6k like our lord and savior intended

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

My car has an electronic parking brake, you're encouraged to use it at stop lights. I do, but of course my brake lights don't light up. I wish there was a setting to enable brake lights with the EPB engaged.

Nice feature is when you step on the gas a little, it automatically comes off. So I use it at basically every stop light unless it's super short.

lmao why would you do this

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It's pretty weird at first glance, but when the EPB is just a little flick of your finger and you can relax your foot, it feels good for the 30 sec or 1 min lights.

I would be sad if my next car didn't have it. Guess it's like junk ventilators, you never miss it till you have it. (I don't have that)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao why would you do this

Well he does have a wooden puppet as his avatar...

:colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Mercedes apparently have a feature that means a double-tap on the brake while stopped will hold the car until you press the gas. An automatically-released electronic parking brake doesn't sound functionally different from that, I don't see what the problem is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, and the correct way to steer is with your hands at 10 and 2, hand-over-hand all the time.

10-2 and hand over hand is so 20th century. 8-4 and shuffle steering is the "correct" method these days.

(even in America!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IJL6rwe_8

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 26, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Americans dont roll backwards with a proper v8

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Prius C has a hill holder despite being an automatic. It works by pressing the brake pedal down to a detent point. Then the traction control light flashes. (confusing) The car is then holding itself with the brakes clamped full force. You have to keep your foot on the brake but not all the way or even much at all, because it cancels after 5 seconds if you don't, or when it sees you push the accelerator to start forward. It's really odd and not useful at all imo. The Prius has a lot of torque at 0 rpm because of the electric motors, and I've never encountered a hill steep enough for the creep not to be able to hold the car by itself.

The Ford Fiesta has a bucket of scrap metal for an automatic transmission (6 speed DCT). Its lowest ratio is a creeping gear, but it still can't stop itself from stalling when you're starting off going up a hill. This poo poo needs a hill holder. Adaptive shifting programs you say? This was a first year model - 2011 that was being used as a delivery vehicle and regularly driven by a rotation of about 8 different people. The transmission programming didn't have a chance.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

Mercedes apparently have a feature that means a double-tap on the brake while stopped will hold the car until you press the gas. An automatically-released electronic parking brake doesn't sound functionally different from that, I don't see what the problem is.

You just press the brake pedal harder and it engages with a “HOLD” displayed on the dash. Pretty convenient.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

0toShifty posted:

The Ford Fiesta has a bucket of scrap metal for an automatic transmission (6 speed DCT). Its lowest ratio is a creeping gear, but it still can't stop itself from stalling when you're starting off going up a hill. This poo poo needs a hill holder. Adaptive shifting programs you say? This was a first year model - 2011 that was being used as a delivery vehicle and regularly driven by a rotation of about 8 different people. The transmission programming didn't have a chance.

Don't know if you knew but that era Fiesta DCT was hosed six ways from Sunday, heavily damaged Ford's reputation, and is/was the subject of a class action suit. http://fordpowershiftlawsuit.com/

I got a postcard in the mail after I had already sold mine.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 26, 2017

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The new Honda Civic has a brake hold toggle button. If it’s turned on it will hold your brakes for you if you hold the brake longer than a few seconds and automatically disengage them when you press the gas. It’s a handy feature that never gets used because I hold the brakes anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hifi posted:

You move back when you let off the brakes with the parking brake engaged though...

Uhhh you absolutely do not if your vehicle is in working order.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah get that checked out chief. My Acura is pushing 30 and doesn't do that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Brake hold is legit useful. About half the cars I’ve driven recently have it, and the ones that didn’t annoyed me. Works best with start-stop, since that can get defeated if your foot moves infinitesimally on the pedal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've used brake hold once. On a hill in SF with a legit 15%+ grade. Turned it off again right after.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Pretty much every modern BMW has auto hill hold assist. It determines if you're on enough of a slope, and when you take your foot off the brake pedal, it leaves it held until you go forward. It's seamless and really slick.

Beyond that, even with my old Toyota Celicas, I'm pretty sure I only used the hand brake once, maybe twice, outside of passing the driving test. Helps when it's a light car and easing out the clutch gets you some resistance.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You don't have to hill-start if you never hill-stop. :colbert:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christobevii3 posted:

Americans dont roll backwards with a proper v8

The correct answer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can see hill hold being more useful in FWD than RWD cars, I didnt have many issues in my RWD w/MT on steep hills but I can barely take off in my GFs Toyota Echo on an incline without lighting up the front wheels.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lighting up the front tires is pretty sweet though.

Also sweet: That Elder album from your av.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

When you let off your brakes with the parking brake engaged you're transferring weight from 4 wheels onto just the back 2. It's not a lot and the wheels don't roll but it's noticeable and probably the reason why I prefer to heel-toe hill starts instead of using the parking brake. I guess it's different with the electric parking brakes that just use the regular brakes or however they work

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I should really learn how to do the parking brake hill starts just in case. I can get by on most hills but I think if I had to like come out of an underground parking garage when there's a lineup I'd be pretty nervous.

Actually since we're veering wildly off topic anyway, any tips for getting up to speed faster coming from a stop? I can never decide if I want to be taking 1st gear up to like 4k or trying to get into 2nd ASAP. I feel like I'm a lot slower getting through intersections after a red than I want to be.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Actually since we're veering wildly off topic anyway, any tips for getting up to speed faster coming from a stop? I can never decide if I want to be taking 1st gear up to like 4k or trying to get into 2nd ASAP. I feel like I'm a lot slower getting through intersections after a red than I want to be.

I tend to wring it out in first if I wanna go fast, 4k in first is 3k in second, which feels like right where the power starts on my NA V6.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hill hold owns in my Golf R. Cars I drove with it previous kinda sucked, like my friends Subaru that would still hold the brakes as you engaged the clutch and it would sorta catch and shoot off uncomfortably.

Its especially handy leaving my parkade when I stop to open the gate I dont have to do an aggressive clutch dance to get the car going again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hifi posted:

When you let off your brakes with the parking brake engaged you're transferring weight from 4 wheels onto just the back 2. It's not a lot and the wheels don't roll but it's noticeable and probably the reason why I prefer to heel-toe hill starts instead of using the parking brake. I guess it's different with the electric parking brakes that just use the regular brakes or however they work

None of this makes any sense - if the wheels don’t move the car doesn’t roll back.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I should really learn how to do the parking brake hill starts just in case. I can get by on most hills but I think if I had to like come out of an underground parking garage when there's a lineup I'd be pretty nervous.

Depends on the car and your tires I guess- my Focus ST can baarrreeeely put any power down in 1st if I dare go WOT so I kinda have to modulate it out of first and get it into second and then I'm really in business. Tiny integrated turbo runs out of breath at like 5500-6000 so there's really almost no point to me totally winding the engine out anyways

Old NA I4 2007 Eclipse needed every RPM it could get however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I had to turn hill assist off in my car. I had it on for a day and it kept making me almost stall cause it held the brakes so long.

I've never felt the need for any assist. You can let the clutch out just enough to grab and keep the car still. Not sure if that would work on a heavier vehicle though.