Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Remora posted:

Anyone have any ideas for what to do with Somerville Place? The terrain is so uneven I feel like trying to wall it off will just be one long headachey slog.

Use the concrete foundation to create an even space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Phrasing posted:

Having fun with melee. Early in the game against ghouls in Lexington and Cambridge I was having trouble with ammo so I pulled out my tire iron and never went back. Is it true that the final perk of Big Leagues is bugged?

Only the display is bugged, you deal the correct damage.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ymgve posted:

ONE WEIRD TIP TO IMPROVE YOUR LOADING TIMES

Don't play in Fullscreen with ingame vsync! Use Borderless Windowed, or remove vsync/uncap framerate some other way. For some reason switching from fullscreen to Borderless Windowed reduced my loading times from 60 seconds to under 20. There might be other bugs with uncapped framerates/vsync off, but I haven't noticed any major bugs with playing in Borderless Windowed mode.

I use borderless window for any game that will support it, for me it's ALWAYS seemed far more stable (and alt-tab friendly). If you do uncap the framerate though, you probably want to limit it another way. Game physics get weird if you go too high and people have gotten stuck like that. Bandicam is good for this and the free version has that functionality.

AgentJR fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 25, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there a quest for the Asylum? There's mercs guarding it and I want to go in, but I don't really just want to waste everyone without knowing what is going on. It got stuck on my map before I found it for some reason but I don't remember why. Might have been a quest (theres nothing in the log) or I might have just pulled it off a terminal or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a quest for the Asylum? There's mercs guarding it and I want to go in, but I don't really just want to waste everyone without knowing what is going on. It got stuck on my map before I found it for some reason but I don't remember why. Might have been a quest (theres nothing in the log) or I might have just pulled it off a terminal or something.

If you go around the front or something a guy should go nuts and shoot you. Take him out and then go to bunker hill to start the quest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hm. They all just told me to go away. No one started shooting but I didn't try to go inside or anything.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Hm. They all just told me to go away. No one started shooting but I didn't try to go inside or anything.

That's weird. First time I went there they went full aggro on me.

Another way to start the questline that unlocks the place is to go directly to Cabot House and pass two CHA checks on the intercom

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NESguerilla posted:

You could shoot them instead, I don't think it matters who does the shooting. Just that "Shooting up the place" is a trigger to start the quest.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I left my power armor somewhere and I forgot where it is, is there a way to nav to it or am I screwed until i find another set? It ran out of fusion core and I ditched it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

madkapitolist posted:

I left my power armor somewhere and I forgot where it is, is there a way to nav to it or am I screwed until i find another set? It ran out of fusion core and I ditched it.

Somewhere on your map, there should be a flashing symbol of a power armor helmet. That's where the last set of power armor you were in is located.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

frajaq posted:

That's weird. First time I went there they went full aggro on me.

Another way to start the questline that unlocks the place is to go directly to Cabot House and pass two CHA checks on the intercom

There's a third way to start it too - not sure where I got it, but I got a quest where I was hired to recover a package, and told to go to Cabot House.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

ymgve posted:

There's a third way to start it too - not sure where I got it, but I got a quest where I was hired to recover a package, and told to go to Cabot House.

There's a ghoul at bunker hill who will start the Cabot questline...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm up to Synth Retention. Is there another way for this mission to go down rather than just bring the Synth back to the institute?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm up to Synth Retention. Is there another way for this mission to go down rather than just bring the Synth back to the institute?

I'm pretty sure you can just kill him, but no, I don't think you can "save" him. He is a raider after all.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I was wandering around and I found this lake with a terminal saying it was heavily irradiated and they were going to look into why, and nearby is a Mass Fusion facility and on a terminal there the supervisor has a private log where he admits he murdered someone investigating their illegal dumping of nuclear waste, haha.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How secure is leaving my power armour in a power armour crafting station if I take the core out of it?

Also is it secure to leave stuff out on display like a weapon rack or is that liable to just despawn at some point.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just kill him, but no, I don't think you can "save" him. He is a raider after all.

So I take it that after the mid point "reveal" The story progresses by just doing a faction's missions?

I'm torn between siding with the Railroad and The Minutemen.

Then again, having my character side with the institute just to be with her son might be an interesting choice

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

flyingkiwi posted:

I was wandering around and I found this lake with a terminal saying it was heavily irradiated and they were going to look into why, and nearby is a Mass Fusion facility and on a terminal there the supervisor has a private log where he admits he murdered someone investigating their illegal dumping of nuclear waste, haha.

He didn't do a good job of hiding the body either.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Odobenidae posted:

He didn't do a good job of hiding the body either.

Aw poo poo I didn't find it, where is it?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Sanctuary got attacked and one of my settlers got into my power armor and I can't get her out. Can't pickpocket it away or trade for it. She is just hanging out in my loving power armor.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
How are people making walls more than 1 high without gaps in between them? The only way I know to do it is to put those upper shack floors above each layer of wall, place next layer, then remove floor, but that leaves a gap where the floor was.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BigRed0427 posted:

Then again, having my character side with the institute just to be with her son might be an interesting choice

It isn't, nothing interesting happens and no questions are answered.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there a way to embed a webm video in a post? Also, anyone know of a good place to host a webm file? I wanna show off a video I saw.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Solemn Sloth posted:

How secure is leaving my power armour in a power armour crafting station if I take the core out of it?

Also is it secure to leave stuff out on display like a weapon rack or is that liable to just despawn at some point.

Power armour can only be stolen if you leave the core in it, regardless of it being in a station or not. As for items, I haven't seen any I've placed in my settlements despawn. However a lot of them end up bouncing all over the place because lol Bethesda physics

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cams posted:

Sanctuary got attacked and one of my settlers got into my power armor and I can't get her out. Can't pickpocket it away or trade for it. She is just hanging out in my loving power armor.

Happened to me at the castle. Huge attack and people took all 3 of my suits out. I only was able to get one of them back, found it abandoned over by the fishing shack south east of the castle, other 2 vanished. That's when I consoled my self a new x-01 set.

I can see raiders and hostiles stealing your poo poo, but your own settlers should know better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm surprised the Power Suit station doesn't work like an actual DOCK that clamps onto and holds the thing in place.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love the music in the game, not the radio, but the just ambient music. So good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've got red rocket looking close to a proper junk town.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I feel like I came up with a good name for my balistically-armored trilby.

Military Mom ain't got time to hunt no boring babby, she got stuff to explore and back-sassin' synths to face-hole.

P.S. I hate how the raider arm clashes with the theme I've got going, but it makes me all stealthy. I'm actually considering upping my legendary chance to an even MORE ridiculous level (Pretty sure I have it at 20x now) just to have more chances at thematically appropriate legendaries.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

'Finished' the game.

Bethesda remain kings of crafting interesting worlds with insultingly stupid storytelling and writing mixed in.

I absolutely loved the part near the end when 'siding' with the Institute where you say 'nah I don't want to murder the Railroad' 4 times, and each time the response is 'you have to murder the Railroad'. I mean I appreciate the irony, intended or no, but come the gently caress on. There was so much potential for interesting interplay between the factions, and even within factions within the institute, and they did nothing with it.

Game will remain my 'gently caress around with power armor in a wasteland' sim, but goddamn what a waste of potential.

Crafting and settlements also doubled down on inventory management, my absolute least favorite part of rpgs. Thankfully the bulk of that can be modded out easily.

Off to try the Witcher 3 I guess :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Sometimes I think they'd be better off not bothering with a main quest and break up what would have been that into a dozen or so long rear end stand alone side quests. The main story always sucks.

I'm actually at the point where I need to choose a side that BOS seems like the best option. The railroad seems like a bunch of scrubs and everything about the institute is just like "why?"

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

man a lot more dudes are synths than i thought now that i've done the institute ending
they really should've done something to go full on 'the thing' levels paranoia with it jesus
gimme a mod where you have to be a blade runner and determine whos a synth or not and hunt 'em down based on investigation and poo poo or something idk

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Melanion posted:

I feel like I came up with a good name for my balistically-armored trilby.

Military Mom ain't got time to hunt no boring babby, she got stuff to explore and back-sassin' synths to face-hole.

P.S. I hate how the raider arm clashes with the theme I've got going, but it makes me all stealthy. I'm actually considering upping my legendary chance to an even MORE ridiculous level (Pretty sure I have it at 20x now) just to have more chances at thematically appropriate legendaries.

If you are on PC, you can just console yourself a legendary. I've done it when I got a legendary combat armor piece that wasn't the sturdy version cause god dammit I want to play pretty princess post-apocalypse edition.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

NESguerilla posted:

Sometimes I think they'd be better off not bothering with a main quest and break up what would have been that into a dozen or so long rear end stand alone side quests. The main story always sucks.

I'm actually at the point where I need to choose a side that BOS seems like the best option. The railroad seems like a bunch of scrubs and everything about the institute is just like "why?"

counterpoint: the railroad are actually Cool, and good

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NESguerilla posted:

I agree. What minimal strengths Bethesda's writing team shows tends to be in the smaller side level stuff.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Akion posted:

If you are on PC, you can just console yourself a legendary. I've done it when I got a legendary combat armor piece that wasn't the sturdy version cause god dammit I want to play pretty princess post-apocalypse edition.

That's probably what I'll do on an eventual second playthrough, just console in something that looks cool and has the legendary mods I want. For my first playthrough I'm avoiding any overt cheating. The way I see it, while changing the legendary chance means I get a lot more legendary drops, it also means I have to fight a lot more legendaries. So far I like the added challenge of having one roughly every other encounter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's funny how nobody seems to mind if you shoot a townsperson once. Do it too many times and they'll get mad, but they're generally ok with taking one in the shoulder.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

flyingkiwi posted:

Aw poo poo I didn't find it, where is it?

It's towards the back of the place, you have to shimmy behind a wall of barrels that's behind a fence I think.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

After clearing out Spectacle Island a.k.a. loving mirelurk death island... it feels like a good place to plunk down a big settlement and fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I figured out myself that the Better Criticals perk doesn't stack with sneak attack criticals, I guess they're two separate types.

New question, if I sneak attack someone with a VATS Critical, does that multiply with the sneak attack? Or does it just make it so it can't miss?

• Locked thread