Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's objectively not

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

"Steel-cut" oatmeal is just regular oatmeal but they changed the name to sell oatmeal to men.

I thought the market for steel cut oatmeal was 40+ year old ladies

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

isn't steel cut oatmeal more sliced up

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FishBulbia posted:

isn't steel cut oatmeal more sliced up

Other way around.

It's less processed than the various types of rolled oats, and takes hours to cook.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

thetoughestbean posted:

I thought the market for steel cut oatmeal was 40+ year old ladies

Old ladies love steel, and cutting.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Other way around.

It's less processed than the various types of rolled oats, and takes hours to cook.

You've been hoodwinked by marketing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Old ladies love steel, and cutting.

You've been hoodwinked by marketing.

Maybe you didn't grow up on the blood-soaked street of Babushka Alley...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Guy Fieri is going to occupy the same cultural niche as Mister Rogers and Bob Ross when he gets old

Guy Fieri loving rules, long live donkey sauce. If anyone dislikes him then they hate both humanity and food.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

"Steel-cut" oatmeal is just regular oatmeal but they changed the name to sell oatmeal to men.

This is not even close to true

"Steel cut" just means that the raw, complete oat grains are chopped into pieces then sold. Rolled oats, which is the rest of the oatmeal in the store, are smashed and cooked before they are sold

The terms "steel cut" and "coarse cut" predate you so no it's not a marketing thing

Where do you get these ideas and how are you so confidently wrong

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I am literally tripping over myself to copyright “Damascus Steel-Cut Oats (For Men Only!!)” right now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just make instant oatmeal with whey in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

The terms "steel cut" and "coarse cut" predate you so no it's not a marketing thing

When do you think marketing was invented?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They should nominate me for SCOTUS.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
More groups should use parliamentary procedure. Things move more efficiently, but it would also give people a basis to understand some things that happen in the legislatures, senate, and courts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

trick question: it wasn't invented, it was gifted to us by the aliens that built the pyramid*

*they only built one of them as a demonstration.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some sorta, pyramid scheme your sayin

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

According to one early text, there was this apple...

Quite frankly though, the most popular and ancient form of promises within trade is undoubtedly marriage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Streaming should be illegal. We have broadcast technology.
Why would we want to go back to an objectively worse technology? If I have the choice to listen to the radio, or the stream of the exact same radio station, I'm picking the stream every time. The audio quality is better and it doesn't fade out or go staticky if I dare to move slightly.

Gripweed posted:

We should still be calling computer programs programs instead of apps.
"App" is not a new word. There was an "Apps" menu on the first MS-DOS computer I ever used (in the early '90s). It's just short for "application".

Manager Hoyden posted:

Phones were fine
Phones have never been fine. The reason everyone texts instead of phoning now is because phoning has always been a loving nightmare that we only put up with when there's no better option.

To phone someone, you've got to be comfortable with interrupting whatever they're doing while having no way of knowing what that is. When your phone rings you've got to stop whatever you're doing and answer it because you've got no way of knowing whether the call is important or not. It's a massive imposition. And that's before you even get to the difficulties of poor audio quality and lack of visual making miscommunication far more likely, and the awkwardness of having to hold a lump of plastic up to your head the entire time you're talking.

People don't avoid phoning now because they're alienated or suffering from excessive anxiety or any of the other stupid reasons people put forward. People avoid phoning because talking on the phone is loving terrible.

Manager Hoyden posted:

And all forms of social media should be banned with prejudice, and every time someone tries to invent it again that person should be executed publicly
Social media isn't conceptually bad. Having convenient ways to talk to and share things with friends and family is actually great. It's just that there's no easy way to profit from that so social media companies have to incentivise other uses and make it as difficult as possible to only use social media in positive ways.

credburn posted:

I just saw for the second time in a week someone refer to something as "living rent-free in your head" and now I know this is another Thing and I'm probably going to hear it a lot during 2022.

I don't even know what it's meant to mean, but I already hate it.
It means "Although I invest no time or effort in thinking about you, you think about me constantly."

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wait, so does that mean Outback Steakhouse’s Bloomin’ Onion lives rent free in my head? Because I spend a lot of time thinking about Outback Steakhouse’s Bloomin’ Onion.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Robobot posted:

Wait, so does that mean Outback Steakhouse’s Bloomin’ Onion lives rent free in my head? Because I spend a lot of time thinking about Outback Steakhouse’s Bloomin’ Onion.

Demand back rent from Bloomin’ Brands Inc. immediately.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tiggum posted:

Why would we want to go back to an objectively worse technology? If I have the choice to listen to the radio, or the stream of the exact same radio station, I'm picking the stream every time. The audio quality is better and it doesn't fade out or go staticky if I dare to move slightly.
This is the only part I don't agree with personally. I finally broke down and got a new vehicle and they've been hounding me with SiriusXM advertisements daily ever since. Since I wasn't messing with that while driving I did some searching while parked, waiting for people, etc. I think I listened to 75sec of my free one year subscription.

Radio isn't just analog dials attached to plate capacitors. They had digital tuning for a couple decades before satellite radio. It's fairly straightforward to tune to center frequency even with minor frequency shifts. Sure I use a manual clarifier at times, but an FM radio handles that for consumer use.

As to digital, non-packet radio is... different. You can get signal fade on AM, or tonal variation on FM, but only with digital do you get this... t... of... it. Streaming packet drops tend to be all or nothing. You either have best-effort protocols that pick back up with the first available packet (so we couldn't decode five seconds but the signal is back realtime), or sequence-correct protocols (buffering... now we're back... five seconds delayed) (worst case it loses everything for thirty seconds before timing out and restarting).

Analog is very easy to decode even with degradation, and very easy for people to "here" even with some signal loss. Digital is comparably very jarring; takes more mental effort to "fill in the blanks".

So it depends on your needs (like anything). They bounce carrier wave off the moon on AM or SSB (earth-moon-earth). Digital is good for cell phones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

This is the only part I don't agree with personally. I finally broke down and got a new vehicle and they've been hounding me with SiriusXM advertisements daily ever since. Since I wasn't messing with that while driving I did some searching while parked, waiting for people, etc. I think I listened to 75sec of my free one year subscription.

Radio isn't just analog dials attached to plate capacitors. They had digital tuning for a couple decades before satellite radio. It's fairly straightforward to tune to center frequency even with minor frequency shifts. Sure I use a manual clarifier at times, but an FM radio handles that for consumer use.

As to digital, non-packet radio is... different. You can get signal fade on AM, or tonal variation on FM, but only with digital do you get this... t... of... it. Streaming packet drops tend to be all or nothing. You either have best-effort protocols that pick back up with the first available packet (so we couldn't decode five seconds but the signal is back realtime), or sequence-correct protocols (buffering... now we're back... five seconds delayed) (worst case it loses everything for thirty seconds before timing out and restarting).

Analog is very easy to decode even with degradation, and very easy for people to "here" even with some signal loss. Digital is comparably very jarring; takes more mental effort to "fill in the blanks".

So it depends on your needs (like anything). They bounce carrier wave off the moon on AM or SSB (earth-moon-earth). Digital is good for cell phones.

I have no idea what you're even talking about. I'm comparing using my phone, alarm clock, or any FM radio, to listen to 105.9 (ABC Classic FM in Melbourne) with loading up https://www.abc.net.au/classic/listen-live/player/ or using the ABC Listen app. The actual radio is poo poo. The web/app version is perfect. And you don't have to stop and figure out what the new frequency is if you travel to a different part of the state/country because it works the same everywhere.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Phones have never been fine. The reason everyone texts instead of phoning now is because phoning has always been a loving nightmare that we only put up with when there's no better option.

To phone someone, you've got to be comfortable with interrupting whatever they're doing while having no way of knowing what that is. When your phone rings you've got to stop whatever you're doing and answer it because you've got no way of knowing whether the call is important or not. It's a massive imposition. And that's before you even get to the difficulties of poor audio quality and lack of visual making miscommunication far more likely, and the awkwardness of having to hold a lump of plastic up to your head the entire time you're talking.

People don't avoid phoning now because they're alienated or suffering from excessive anxiety or any of the other stupid reasons people put forward. People avoid phoning because talking on the phone is loving terrible.

:hai:
gently caress talking on the phone seriously

phuo: fake watermelon candy flavour is better than real watermelon, which is mediocre at best

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Watermelon is only good at BBQs and should be filled with vodka.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Incidentally, i hope that the trend of everything being a podcast, livestream or video essay dies off. Same goes for stuff like Twitter rooms, Clubhouse and what have you. If you can't put it in writing, it's not worth it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

a podcast for cats posted:

Incidentally, i hope that the trend of everything being a podcast, livestream or video essay dies off. Same goes for stuff like Twitter rooms, Clubhouse and what have you. If you can't put it in writing, it's not worth it.

This but treating Discord like it's capable of being an owner's manual/reference guide for something.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

docbeard posted:

This but treating Discord like it's capable of being an owner's manual/reference guide for something.

Lord above I hate that

When the documentation for something is just a faq with a note to join their discord

gently caress you that discord isn't going to exist in a few years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I have no idea what you're even talking about. I'm comparing using my phone, alarm clock, or any FM radio, to listen to 105.9 (ABC Classic FM in Melbourne) with loading up https://www.abc.net.au/classic/listen-live/player/ or using the ABC Listen app. The actual radio is poo poo. The web/app version is perfect. And you don't have to stop and figure out what the new frequency is if you travel to a different part of the state/country because it works the same everywhere.

OK the reason i wanted streaming banned is that it's literally killing the planet but now I want it banned just so you can't listen to your poo poo radio station the way you want to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Killing the planet is good since it will kill more people. Earth will recover.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:
gently caress talking on the phone seriously

phuo: fake watermelon candy flavour is better than real watermelon, which is mediocre at best

Put a little salt on it and watermelon becomes 10x better.

Robobot posted:

Watermelon is only good at BBQs and should be filled with vodka.

This also works.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have serious side eyes for anyone who talks about population reduction

The people who will be reduced won't be wealthy westerners, guaranteed. So I wonder about the folks hankering for it

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

Killing the planet is good since it will kill more people. Earth will recover.

that's uh a phuo alright

hopefully, not a phuo: personally, i'd prefer that the amount of people dying from non-natural causes was zero (or as close to zero as possible)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Any place that prides itself on its customer service is a godawful place to work at.

As a low level employee I should be able to ban customers from returning for little to no reason

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

thetoughestbean posted:

Any place that prides itself on its customer service is a godawful place to work at.

:hmmyes:

quote:

As a low level employee I should be able to ban customers from returning for little to no reason

You should be allowed to punch rude customers in the face imho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The only people who should be allowed to own guns are people who have jobs where they have to deal with customers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Customers are never that bad to deal with, and seeing people hyperbolically vent about their struggles of having to answer basic questions or show someone where something is is mostly just sad

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gaius Marius posted:

Customers are never that bad to deal with, and seeing people hyperbolically vent about their struggles of having to answer basic questions or show someone where something is is mostly just sad

Tell me you've never had a customer without telling me you've never had a customer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I work at Costco

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

I have had one or two really bad customers but yeah IME mildly infuriating is typically as bad as I get. And usually, that's just because it's a very tech-illiterate person trying and failing to use our website that is, admittedly, not super-well designed in a way that I have no direct power to address.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Customers who are dumb as bricks are one thing ("what's a browser?" :v: ), but I've had openly racist and/or misogynist customers, customers who screamed at me for things I couldn't control (items being non-refundable, for example), yadda yadda yadda.

Phosphine posted:

Tell me you've never had a customer without telling me you've never had a customer.

I don't want to make any assumptions necessarily, but the possibility that customers have more positive interactions with customer service people of specific not-so-marginalized demographics is there too. When I had a call center job, I had customers who would praise me & complain about my "ghetto" coworkers right after I told them the exact thing that my coworkers told them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The customer is, in fact, always right. In a literal, not a metaphorical sense. When I walk into a store I gain reality-warping powers and if I say one plus one is seventeen then it is true.