Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time
Directed by: Frank Darabont
Starring: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman

Tim Robbins is Andy Dufresne, a banker recently convited for the murder of his wife and sentenced to life in Shawshank Prison. He befriends Red (Freeman) who is a connected individual in the prison and who is known to "locate certain things from time to time." It seems as though Andy will not be able to adapt to this new life with different rules until an unexpected turn of events rekindle his hope and memory of life beyond the walls of Shawshank.

This is easily one of the greatest films ever made. The story (originally a Stephen King short story titled "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption") is uplifting and inspiring while being brutally honest and straightforward with the viewer. I recommend that everyone sees this film, although, as it contains some mature themes, you may want to wait until Junior is a little older. Everytime I'm in a room with this movie playing, I am compelled to watch it until finish each time. It only gets better with each viewing.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I really can't get behind this movie. It is excessively sentimental, to the point of almost becoming camp. Many of the characters (particularly the warden) are completely artificial and under-developed, which gives the film a really forced feeling at times. It's also completely manipulative and arbitrary in its sense of morality, forcing characters and actions to fit into the broader narrative rather than letting them develop through the performances or the (absent) direction. Deakins's cinematography is breathtaking (as always), but that's the only "great" element at work in this film, the rest of it is compentent but forgettable. Worst of all, Darabont continues to repeat these mistakes in other films, constantly indulging in melodrama and other excesses.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
I found this movie excellent. Based on the King novella, it retains his accessible style of writing while lacking the excessive sentimentality of "The Green Mile", or the frequently overdone sci-fi/horror angles that are so present in much of his work.

The cast and story has already been covered, so suffice to say that this film is a must-view, and Thomas Newman's excellent score serves it well, especially in the much-emulated "sewer scene"

5/5

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
I really liked this movie and easily give it 5 star, yet I don't think it's the 2nd greatest movie of all time as IMDB implies.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said already, but this is one of my all time favorites. 5/5

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Yes, perhaps my favourite film ever. Very very satisfying to watch.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

This is the movie that when you flip through the channels and see it on TNT, you stop and watch the rest of it, no matter what part it's on or however many times you have seen it... you watch the rest of it. I can't think of any other movie like that.

5/5

King Abe
Feb 29, 2004

How are you? You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.
Shawshank is unquestionably my all-time favorite film, to the point that it actually hurts me whenever I learn someone I know hasn't seen it, or more than that, when I learn that someone doesn't like it. It's simply the most subtly emotional, enjoyable, perfectly executed movie I know. If you don't feel your heart skip a beat during the opera broadcast scene, or be held in utter captivation throughout any and all of Morgan Freeman's exceptional narration, I question your understanding of humanity.

King Abe fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 2, 2004

TheAngry One
Aug 8, 2003

I'd swim through a river of shit with my mouth open to suck the dick of last bloke that fucked Natalie Portman
Most of the above posts have said what I wanted to say. Put simply, one of the best, no, greatest films ever made.

Sine
Jan 25, 2004
Shawshank my cock.

Morgan Freeman - Between Driving Ms. Daisy and his faggy role in Shawshank Redemption (You know, where the white accountant figures out how to break out of prison while he sits there amazed) this guy needs to hang up his country-rear end hat.

Tim Robbins - Someone tell this string-bean to stop talking poo poo about Toronto and make a decent movie. Maybe his buggy-eyed wife can start picking some scripts for him, because he clearly can't read between the lines.

Darktaco
Nov 7, 2003
Darkest taco of them all...
5/5, as it has the most glorious moment in the history of movies (The end of the "sewer scene").

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

quote:

danthemitchell came out of the closet to say:
I really can't get behind this movie. It is excessively sentimental, to the point of almost becoming camp. Many of the characters (particularly the warden) are completely artificial and under-developed, which gives the film a really forced feeling at times. It's also completely manipulative and arbitrary in its sense of morality, forcing characters and actions to fit into the broader narrative rather than letting them develop through the performances or the (absent) direction. Deakins's cinematography is breathtaking (as always), but that's the only "great" element at work in this film, the rest of it is compentent but forgettable. Worst of all, Darabont continues to repeat these mistakes in other films, constantly indulging in melodrama and other excesses.

I think perhaps there are some directors made to make one movie their whole life, and every other attempt to make another movie is always a throwback to that other, one, better film.

I think this was Darabont's one movie. For me it was hard to watch this movie without getting sad or feeling for the characters. It's all so clausterphobic and painful, and looking back you realize what a long journey all these men have taken without ever leaving those prison walls. Although I agree with you on some points, this movie still touched me and I still find it a great film. 4.5/5 golden manbabies.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

quote:

TheAngry One came out of the closet to say:
Most of the above posts have said what I wanted to say. Put simply, one of the best, no, greatest films ever made.

Simply stated, and completely true.

It does get a bit sappy sometimes, but it didn't bother me. I feel like there's enough other stuff in the story to justify it. Plus, we all like a little sappiness.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
An AMAZING film. One of the best. 5/5.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
One of my all time favorite movies, morgan freeman does a great job as always.

Dr. Sheaus
Jul 14, 2003

One of the greatest ending lines of any film ever:

"I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

5/5

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02

quote:

Sine came out of the closet to say:
Shawshank my cock.

Morgan Freeman - Between Driving Ms. Daisy and his faggy role in Shawshank Redemption (You know, where the white accountant figures out how to break out of prison while he sits there amazed) this guy needs to hang up his country-rear end hat.

Tim Robbins - Someone tell this string-bean to stop talking poo poo about Toronto and make a decent movie. Maybe his buggy-eyed wife can start picking some scripts for him, because he clearly can't read between the lines.

So, what, you're saying that Freeman and Robbins can act but were terrible in this movie? I really have no loving clue what the hell you're trying to say with that post.

One of my absolute favorite movies, and one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen in a movie. 5/5

FBz
Mar 8, 2004
FatboYgw got me this account for my birthday!
Definatly one of the greatest films made.

5/5

Cyb
Apr 30, 2004
heh
Everything that can be said has already been said here, 5/5

SpokkerJones
Nov 9, 2002

by Ozma
This is one of those films I could just pop in and watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon despite seeing it a million times before.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm more of a Sci-Fi/Fiction/Comedy movie guy, but this movie had me incredibly impressed.

5/5

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

quote:

Junkyard Bubba came out of the closet to say:
So, what, you're saying that Freeman and Robbins can act but were terrible in this movie? I really have no loving clue what the hell you're trying to say with that post.
Me thinks he was trolling for the sake of having a different opinion compared to everyone else, and it came out wrong.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
It's all been covered. 5/5

quote:

Sine came out of the closet to say:
Shawshank my cock.

Uhh, troll? :rolleyes:

WalaWala
Jul 2, 2002
Loved this movie, my wife hates movies that are set in prison's, but one night she sat down and watched it with me, and fell in love with the movie.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

quote:

TheAngry One came out of the closet to say:

yup.

NokkonWud
Dec 26, 2003
The best film ever made, this film is PERFECT in everyway.

Acting should have won best actor and best supporting for Robbins and Freeman (drat that Tom Hanks).

If you haven't seen this film there is something wrong with you, go buy it! Worth every penny.

The PERFECT score.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
If you don't own this film on DVD then you'd best be in prison (and tunnelling yourself out).

5/5

PermabannedSamadhi
May 12, 2001

This movie is pure brilliance and perfection. I can watch this movie countless times and still be amazed.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
I know I already replied, but this is bugging me. What evidence could Andy have possibly amassed against the head guard in order for them to arrest him? I'm sure he went round being brutal because he could get away with it. Any ideas?

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02

quote:

Arm Unit 700 came out of the closet to say:
I know I already replied, but this is bugging me. What evidence could Andy have possibly amassed against the head guard in order for them to arrest him? I'm sure he went round being brutal because he could get away with it. Any ideas?

That he shot Tommy (I think that was his name), the dude Andy was helping get a high school diploma, to shut him up about being bunked with the guy who was bragging about killing Andy's wife and lover. Although, they did say that Tommy tried to escape, which is why he was shot, so I don't know how he'd have proof that Tommy wasn't trying to escape. Maybe Andy hosed with the guy's tax information, since he was doing taxes for all of the guards.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
Better than the book I tell ya, the movie was better than the book.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
This movie truely captures the "hope" that the short story had, and the acting is wonderful. It is, in my opinion, the best adaptation of King's work.

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet

quote:

I'm thinking that when he escaped he simply put all of the warden's shady financial dealings in the folder for the proper authorities to see.

Amazing movie. Acting, writing, directing, message: everything was just brilliant.
5/5

Google Ron Paul
Jul 12, 2003

What was your face before Max Factor was born?

quote:

He once cut off James Bond's head. :)

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. That's goddamn right.

5/5

Pale Sickly Trevor
Sep 28, 2001
This is one of the best movies ever made, without any loving question.
5/5

The Handeman
Oct 2, 2002

holy shit video game thumbs!!!
There is nothing more to say except this is one of the greatest movies ever made.
It is my all time favorite and I would recommend anyone who hasnt seen it to go get it and see it now!

5.5/5

I'm The Handeman and I approve this movie

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Amazing stories and incredible characters.

Definatly one of my favorite movie's of all time.

5/5

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Absoultely beautiful. Just a wonderful piece of cinema. Should have won Best Picture in '94, but the Academy chose Forrest Gump instead. (Pulp Fiction was also nominated in 94)

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Definitely some of Morgan Freeman's best work ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boom316
May 28, 2003
tl ;dr is bannable

quote:

King Abe came out of the closet to say:
If you don't feel your heart skip a beat during the opera broadcast scene, or be held in utter captivation throughout any and all of Morgan Freeman's exceptional narration, I question your understanding of humanity.
This is so true. Nothing can make this a bad movie. Everything in it is right, down to the acting, writing, directing, and the score, which is nearly unnoticable until the "sewer scene", as has been said, when it becomes particularly moving.

5/5