Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quote:

Saint_Rukus came out of the closet to say:
A weird benefit to this though is that when I actually do watch it on DVD its just that much better without the commercials and crap.

I refuse to watch movies on a channel that will interrupt it with commercials, but this movie is the exception. I, like so many others, will watch it from whatever point I came in on, all the way to the end regardless of when the last time it was on. I don't know why, but this movie doesn't lose its appeal on repeat viewings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I just watched this on my bus ride home from massachusetts. My battery died just a few seconds after the credits started to role

voted 5.5

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
My favorite movie ever. Just terrific. The scene where Tommy gets shot is so powerful, I sometimes skip over the entire Tommy segment just so I don't have to be upset by him being killed. Last parts of the movie, starting with Norton finding the hole is very uplifting. You can feel the hope Andy was talking about. I wish I had a HQ screencap of Red, Norton, and Hadley looking into the tunnel to use as wallpaper.

My favorite part of the movie might be the part where Red, narrarating, says "the guards all remembered to bring their W2s." I love it because for that one instance, Andy is in charge. He tells them to bring the papers and they do it.

I've read the original story and the screenplay. The screenplay had some interesting scenes:
1. The completion of Hadley and another guard beating up Bogs. He crawls onto the balcony and blood drips down and hits Red on the shoe.
2. Norton sends some kid into the tunnel and when he gets down to the pipe he says "It smells like poo poo. Oh God, it is poo poo." Red laughs his rear end off and Norton sends him to solitarie. Red says he understands what Andy meant by easy time in solitarie (since he was laughing his rear end off).
3. When Red sees Andy on the beach, they exchange their lines upon meeting each other for the first time. I think they should have put that in the movie, to round it off nicely.

BTW, Richie Aprile was one of Andy's friends in jail.

Put your trust in the Lord; your rear end belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 10, 2005

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I just saw this for the first time (late to the party, I know), and it was amazing. While it wasn't perfect (the score is a bit excessive/overly manipulative at points and having all 3 badguys be PURE EVIL was a little over the top), it was gripping throughout and made me cry at the end to an extent that hasn't happened in a long time. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

5/5

keerus
Dec 27, 2004

I'm gonna miss her...
A bit cliché by page 3, but simply one of greatest movies of all time. 5.5/5

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
A fantastic movie, with great performances from the cast, a very uplifting ending and some excellent scenes during the course of the movie. 5/5.

One thing has bugged me ever since I saw it though - I've never understood how Andy could put the poster back on the wall after he'd gone out through the tunnel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GazChap posted:

One thing has bugged me ever since I saw it though - I've never understood how Andy could put the poster back on the wall after he'd gone out through the tunnel.

He flipped it up, then back down. It was hung from 2 pieces of tape.

5/5, btw...a great movie with a great message. Solid performances, Morgan Freeman is absolutely magnificent in this movie and basically became a star after it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Overrated and almost unbearably corny. I was recommended this as "The ultimate feel-good movie" and it just didn't cut the mustard. The entire film just insults your intelligence from start to finish; with its extreme use of sentimentality and all that goes wih it (the cheesey dialogue, men in prison feeling their hearts lift when they hear music over the speakers, the "redemption", the bird imagery etc) has all the subtlety of a bulldozer. This is not to say that being direct with the audience is a bad thing it's just that "The Shawshank Redemption" puts on a pretence of being something a lot more significant, intelligent and meaningful than it actually is.

As big a fan of Morgan Freeman as I am, I would give this movie 2/5 which is about as high a rating as I would give for a movie so heavily drenched in clichés.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Like all fairy tales, the filmic adaptation of Stephen King's novels are very simple without being simplistic. Characters' one-dimensionality is intentional, since they are archetypes, caricatures of various aspects of human behavior. The stories are exceedingly simple, but a general theme to all of them is one which is of universal and singular interest to all children, including the child still remaining within an adult: the terrifying introduction of innocence to the cruelty of the alien world around us.

Some boys go on a journey to meet death face-to-face for the first time. A man is held against his will and tortured by a deranged psychopath he helped to create. An innocent man's body is imprisoned but try as they might his surroundings cannot imprison his soul. All of these stories start out within a false cocoon of safety and gradually the protagonists learn to deal with the unknown and unknowable catastrophes into which they suddenly are thrown.

Much like the first time young boys and girls meet a bully, or find out their parents cannot always protect them, or any number of other introductions of youth to the world at large, they cannot understand why anyone or anything would wish them harm. Most any of us have had similar experiences of these sort, and they often leave a bewildering and fearful impression deep within the psyche.

Unlike in the other films adapted from King's stories, like Misery or Stand By Me, Dufresne's triumph is so utterly complete as to be mythical. Of course it's cartoonish and unrealistic, but that is what is so satisfying about it. It takes a victory over evil as quintessential as his is to quell that fear of the world that still dwells within each of us. The film is equivalent to someone soothing a lover after they awaken from a nightmare; the words told us are baby-talk, but because of this, they remind us of a time when we knew nothing of harsh reality, and in this way they soothe our fear.

I think an important message, if there is one, can be found not in Dufresne's story but in the reactions of those around him to his story. His hope and triumph lifts them up even after he is gone. Oftentimes I think of people around me to whom I look up, and I fear that to them, the triumphs and accomplishments of their lives probably seem small, of little consequence, unimportant or not living up to expectations. They cannot see how their heroism affects those around them, gives them hope, that most precious and easily lost living commodity.

The film is written like a children's story, and for some of us this simplicity is insulting, and that is understandable. Whether the motivation for such an exaggerated, overwrought motion picture is a result of producers, screenwriters and a director avoiding adult complexity because of a lack of faith in their audience, or because they themselves are dripping in lachrymose sentimentality I don't think really matters in the end. The result was a story as universally appealing as The Runaway Bunny or "This Land Is Your Land".

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm no student of film, so I hesitate to call any movie objectively great or the best at what it does. However, I can subjectively say that the Shawshank Redemption is probably the most enjoyable film I know of, and one I can take pleasure from time after time. The escape scene and everything that comes afterward is ridiculously satisfying -- "mythical" seems to fit the bill quite well -- and a lot of that satisfaction is owed to how the sequence is edited. What movie is the greatest? That's a tough question. What movie do I like the most on a rainy afternoon? Easy.

Two beers apiece for each of my co-workers.
5/5

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop
This is the movie that an overrated movie like Citizen Kane wishes it was.

I just dug through six binders of dvd's to find this movie because after reading through this thread I realized I hadn't watched it in awhile.

5.5 for being loving awesome

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
As far as movies about Tim Robbins being anally raped go, this one was pretty good.

3/5

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I've probably never been more engaged in a film than this one. It would be high in my top 10. Never a dull moment.

5/5

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is literally the worst film I have seen this year.

Tim Robbins character is insufferably perfect, he wins over the entire prison cast, folksy salt of the earth characters every one of them (except those inhuman homosexual rapists!) in the first hour with his brilliant plans and audacity, he bears his unjust imprisonment with a martyr-like dignity and eventually outwits the guards and escapes prison with a plan straight out of MacGuyver. At no point does this man who has had his liberty taken from him unjustly, who is gang raped for two years, who witnesses his friends suicides and murders ever cry or show anger or frustration. Every time things are looking down he simply shows the audience how brilliant he is with another amazing plan or victory over the authorities, which made him utterly unlikable and completely unrelatable.

Another issue is the unpleasant class and gender politics of the film. The prison clique Tim Robbins interacts with are all portrayed lovable working class rogues, apparantly serving decades in jail yet never showing personalities which would suggest their imprisonment in the first place. Futhermore, after an initial hazing they all come to look up Robbins Ubermensch as a hero and friend. Not once does anyone so much as breath an once of resentment at his fancy learnin' or smug superiority as an upper class superman. All of course except the homosexuals, an insular gang inside the prison who are described by the other prisoners as 'inhuman' and are indeed shown to be rapist monsters. As I understand it prison homosexuality is an understandable phenomena and yet the only prison sex shown in the film is commited by these dead eyed souless monsters. Towards the end of their story arc the auidence is even expected to cheer when the facist head prison guard horrifically beats and cripples the head of the gang.

I could go on about the sarrachine nature of the plot, the shameless use of stock characters who telegraph their own fates as soon as they appear on camera, the excessive length of the film and King's complete inability to leave the viewer to work things out for themselves but I think I covered the main points that pissed me off. View this film with a critical eye and you'll see a blatent author Mary Sue curing the ills of the grateful working folk before abandoning them to live on a tropical island with his pet black man, all wrapped up inside a sugary and predictable yarn which cannot let a shred of ambiguity or doubt exist within it.

1/5

friendlyconsumer
Nov 26, 2007

Focus on caring and sharing and listening and hugging and, uh...

Spooning.
The soundtrack alone honestly brings me to tears. This movie is amazing and nothing will ever come close to it.

5.5/5

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
I always see huge praise for this movie but I just dont get why. I just can't really care about the characters for some reason. Which is weird since another prison movie based on King book; The Green Mile made me cry like little baby. I think the main reason for that is that in my mind this movie tries to create believable prison setting but falls way short, everything just seems so cliché. Again in The Green Mile they don't even try to be believable which fits the movie. All in all I just find this movie rather bland with couple good acting performances, but nothing that would raise this movie from good to great for me.

3/5

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 16, 2010

Swole O This
May 15, 2009
What is there left to say.. I only wish I was the one who directed it. Then I would be content for life.

5/5

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ My feelings exactly.

This is the best movie of all times in my book.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hadley's use of excessive force tickles the inner Hitler in all of us

5/5