Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Overrated and almost unbearably corny. I was recommended this as "The ultimate feel-good movie" and it just didn't cut the mustard. The entire film just insults your intelligence from start to finish; with its extreme use of sentimentality and all that goes wih it (the cheesey dialogue, men in prison feeling their hearts lift when they hear music over the speakers, the "redemption", the bird imagery etc) has all the subtlety of a bulldozer. This is not to say that being direct with the audience is a bad thing it's just that "The Shawshank Redemption" puts on a pretence of being something a lot more significant, intelligent and meaningful than it actually is.

As big a fan of Morgan Freeman as I am, I would give this movie 2/5 which is about as high a rating as I would give for a movie so heavily drenched in clichés.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU