Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Directed by: Luc Besson
Starring: Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker

A futuristic dystopian story where Bruce Willis must save the universe.

This movie is a gritty, grimy, dirty story of a futuristic crisis where big money, a priest, and an ex-Army guy all fight over the same thing. Zerg wants the stones for a client who is willing to pay big money. The priest wants them so he can complete an ancient ritual and save the world. Bruce Willis wants them so he can save the world himself.

Earth is a rubbish-filled dystopia. It is terrible. The Police have great powers, and they regularly use them. Every apartment has a place marked on the wall for where you stand when the Police come searching for criminals. The place is equipped with sirens and alarms built into the wall which the Police can activate during a search. Police cars are fitted with machine guns which they use on fleeing suspects. Your license automatically deducts points and cancels itself as you break traffic laws.

Another sign of the overbearing control is the size of the filter on cigarettes.

Yet if you're rich enough you can fly away on a holiday to Flouston Paradise.

The film is visually stunning, not just because of Milla Jovovich, but also because of the special effects.

Worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is one of my favorite films. It think the reviewer overstated the "dystopian" aspect. That isn't AT ALL what the focus of this movie is about. It's actually a sci-fi comedy. Chris Tucker is hilarious in this film as a future DJ who meets Bruce Willis' character as a result of Willis "winning" a rigged promotion that results in him and Leeloo (Jovovich) traveling on a space cruise ship. There they try to investigate the whereabots of these magical stones. Of course, other groups are looking for them too...and all hell breaks loose. Highly recommended.

Triumph of the ill
Mar 4, 2004

you gotta fight for your right to party
absolutly fabulous. The production design is... incredible. The costumes are magnificent, The spaceships are rad, the city is off the chain, all around good stuff.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
My favorite movie of all time. Don't ask for an explanation. I just like it that much.

notary sojac
Jun 29, 2003
foo
visually, this movie is superb. but chris tucker gets on my last nerve, expecially in this flick. milla jovovich is quite the feast on the eyes, and bruce willis is (as always) a good action hero to watch throughout the film, but the opera singing thing at the end and the discovery of what the fifth element is was kind of lame. 3 stars out of 5.

Ugly_Jim
Jan 23, 2004
Hello
I loved this when it came out, but I was also 13. I rented it last year, and it was quite a letdown. The President was the worst actor ever, isn't he some sports guy or something? A said, when you actually find out what the fifth element is, it's incredibly lame. Bruce Willis and Chris Tucker bring this from 2 stars to 3 stars.

Be warned: I rate movies on how entertaining they are, not technical aspects like editing, sound effects, etc.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Not your typical Sci Fi movie, but not your typical action movie either. The whole film has a very unique visual style to it, and is very fun to watch. If you haven't seen it, please do.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
The opera/fight scene was highly, highly cringe worthy. Other than that it was pretty good, with that screaming black guy being the highlight. Three for thee.

CorporatePunk
Sep 24, 2003
kick out the jams!
Definetly one of those movies you either love or hate. I love it, but i like a lot of bad movies. I'm not going to say this is a great film, but I agree that this movie is very fun to watch. Plus you get to watch Milla Jovovich run around in some cleverly positioned strips of tape..... mmmmmm. She really is .... perfect.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

When I first saw this movie in theaters I absolutely loathed it, but then I went in expecting your standard bang-bang action flick. In repeat viewings on DVD or on TV I have come to appreciate this movie more and more. While there is a great deal of action in the movie, it's nonetheless some weird different genre unto itself. It's highly goofy, but the goofiness is all part of the fun. Easily the best part of the movie is the raw style it oozes -- everything from the design of the gigantic vertical city down to the incredible costumes the characters wear. The mysterious aliens are like big shuffling jukeboxes and the stewardesses wear bizarre future-retro suits with crescent-moon boob cutouts and big pillbox hats. The actors generally appear to be enjoying themselves, except for the out of place uber-deadpanning of the President, which I assume was intentionally done to make the plot that much more weird. Bruce Willis does all his standard action-movie mugging, and Milla Jovavich is super hot with her bright orange hair, moon language, and crazy-rear end outfit. Gary Oldman deserves special mention as one of the weirdest villains in recent history, with a French name, a southern drawl, and a general so-unthreatening-hes-threatening demeanor.

Overall The Fifth Element is a highly entertaining romp that throws all sorts of influences and styles into an action pastiche and lets it roll around in its own juices. Just be prepared to have a good time and not to take it too seriously.

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
The movie has really good art direction, although it was loaded down with cheesiness as far as plot/acting/characters. I still enjoy watching it sometimes, it's likeable in a bizarre way. Alright, and I like flying cars :/

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

quote:

Arm Unit 700 came out of the closet to say:
The opera/fight scene was highly, highly cringe worthy.

That's one of Besson's trademarks, putting together an intercut scene like that. I'll admit, the soundtrack at that point really detracts, though, making it one of the least enjoyable examples of the effect in his career.

Much respect to kimihia for providing the thread, but this movie is about as far from dystopian as sci-fi movies get. Most of the jaw-dropping visuals are drenched in light and squeaky clean. The Fifth Element earned my respect for being one of the first movies where digital effects played a major, yet not over-blown part of the show. In nearly every case they enhance the scene, rather than attempting to steal it. Beyond the visuals, the setting shares the vibrant, optimistic outlook of the photography. It's a future that works. That's where the grime and garbage creep in; they're natural parts of a busy future - no different than a little detritus on the streets of movie set in modern New York.

It's definitely goofy, light-hearted and easy on the brain cells. And yet one of the things that makes it so enjoyable is that as simple as the plot and characters are, the world in which they exist is meticulously, lovingly crafted - a sort of "Lord of the Rings in Space" effect. There are dozens of little moments in the movie - mostly visual - that will tickle your fancy when you notice them. Linguica noted some of them - I'll add my personal favorite: I love the Rastafarian ground crew passing a joint while they prepare the space liner for takeoff.

All in all, it certainly ain't Kubrick. But it's not Bruckheimer, either - it's got personality, and personality goes a long way.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I love this movie. Everything about it is top-notch.

5/5

TheFlaurosEnigma
Feb 14, 2002

Ask me about my Gap turtleneck.
What I love about this film is that it DOESN'T try to conform to elements of Sci-Fi while being one. There are no overacting alien-yet-british space lords and there isn't focus on explanation for things for being sci-fi and futuristic. It's a simple movie beautifully directed by Luc Besson. The sci-fi humor is all tongue in cheek and almost seems to poke fun at other sci-fi fims for being so serious on technicality. Look at Zorn, HE SPEAKS TEXAS.

I've seen this movie about a dozen times, give or take, and I'm still not tired of it. And seriously, who didn't fall in love with Leeloo when they first saw this? seriously...

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
good movie... I don't know why, exactly, but I really enjoy it.

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna
I gave it a 4. The style is very cool and original. The city is almost like a more colorful version of Blade Runner. The story itself is not the most amazing, but the presentation defintely makes it worth watching.

Chris Tucker steals the show as a flamboyant radio DJ. Bruce Willis is the standard tough guy with a soft heart. Jovovich is nice to look at, but her acting is not the greatest thing I've ever seen. Unfortunately this is not one of Gary Oldman's best performances. He's a little too over the top in this one. It's kind of sad because Oldman usually gives the best performance in any movie in which he stars. His role in True Romance for example is amazing.

Overall the film has a nice story of good and evil, lots of cool creatures, guns and a hot chick. I highly recommend it as it's a really fun movie to watch and I guarantee you've haven't seen anything exactly like it before.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
Corbin Dallas Multipass

Yeah, I always liked this movie. 4/5

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Good movie, Luc Besson's direction makes for interesting and quirky characters. A visually pleasing film, in more ways than one.

4/5

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
LOVED this movie. I like the offbeat Bruce Willis stuff. With the exception of Last Man Standing, he NEVER lets me down.
Of course this got panned by the critics and most non-geeks hated it but I suspect that's because it didn't fit in the love story/comedy/sci-fi box very well.
Unusual and original. 5/5

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
How much is it a dystopia?

Well it definately is not the focus of the movie, but after watching my DVD a bit closer the dystopian aspects were more noticeable. They were there in the background but I just never paid attention to them.

The society was under a very tough police state. The interrogation circles, flashing lights hidden in the ceiling, police brutality, machine guns mounted on police cars, machine guns by the ticket office, etc.

I think it was just a subtle black comedy twist. I wish the DVD had commentary.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

"Are we green, Corbin Dallas?"

5/5, enjoyable funny scifi movie

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
4.5/5 The movie was great overall, but the villian was a bit out there.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Probably my favorite Bruce Willis movie besides the Die Hard series. Weird, but in a fun kinda way.

4/5

Aliks
Nov 20, 2003
efflorescent
goes above your standard cgi+guns+spaceships movie because it's so re-watchable, simply because of the detail. kimihia mentioned the 3/4 filter cigarettes, but there's also the crosseyed cat (betcha didn't see THAT one!) and all the cameos are pretty cool too, especially Tricky. eric serra's soundtrack is also awesome, and adds to the mood of the movie by being offbeat, futuristic, and terrificly exciting

such a fun film
4/5

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
This movie I always thought was best summed up as a "live action anime movie". Lots of fun, don't expect it to change the world. 4.5

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
Whenever I watch this movie I think to myself, "Wow, how did I not like this movie? This is great!"

And then the 2nd half of the movie happens and I remember why i dislike the movie so much...

2.5/5

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld
A classic for me.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I love this movie. It is your basic Bruce Willis with a lot of guns type movie set in the future. A fun movie to watch if you don't ask for too much out of it. 4/5

sans
May 1, 2004

The mind, that ocean where each kind does straight its own resemblance find; yet it creates, transcending these, far other worlds, and other seas
Just like others said, it's the attention to detail that always gets me watching this film. I feel that this movie was a labor of love for a large portion of the people involved. Very fun to watch.

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
I found it entertaining when I saw it in theater, and still find it entertaining today. Chris Tucker (post Friday, pre rush hour). It would still do well if it was released this year.

Jargon
Apr 22, 2003

A very enjoyable movie, most notable for being the only one that Milla Jovovich looks REALLY REALLY hot in.

4.5/5

GBS POSTER 2000
Nov 25, 2003
The reason that I like this movie so much is because of how ludicrous it is. It's so absurd that it ends up making the world that it creates believable. Aspects like Tucker's character, big blue singing aliens, giant blobs of evily sentient chaos, and oversize smart guns all do the same thing -- they are presented without a shred of doubt or shame, so it makes the surreal world seem absolute and really draws the viewer in. Despite this the movie doesn't take itself too seriously (it would be hard to take Ruby Red seriously), which makes it an easy thing to watch over and over again. The film is stylistic and visually stunning. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd compare it to the universe created by the comic book SCUD. One of my favorite movies of all time, 5/5.

Sequel Police
Jul 11, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Looks great, casted well, basically a dumb, fun movie not to be taken seriously. 4/5, one of my favs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
First of all, Ugly_Jim mentioned in his review that the President was "a sports guy", and I'll expand on that in this paragraph to mention the hilarious story: Tiny Lister (yes, that's his name) was a villain opposite Hulk Hogan in the horrible movie No Holds Barred. That movie flopped so hard that the WWF tried to promote it desperatelyto wrestling fans by making Lister a wrestler who had left the silver screen and entered the real world (or the "real world" that is the mini-universe of the WWF, of course) to extract revenge on Hogan. And he had about as much wrestling skill and experience as your usual Hollywood type.

Uh... Yeah. Anyway, enough of him. This movie is pretty good as a tongue-in-cheek (don't you just hate that phrase?) scifi flick, and the special effects still hold up although I would have sworn the Star Wars prequels were going to blow them away at the time. Bruce Willis plays any of his other interchangable action hero characters except one who's struggling a bit to adapt to this futuristic world, Milla Whatshername is born to save the world and show off her perky boobs (same thing?), and Chris Tucker plays Chris Tucker with an overly fruity fashion sense, the role which probably introduced him to most people. Though Tucker went on to more or less play the same character in more modern clothing, the few scenes he shows up in here are still pretty funny despite how nerve-grating he became in Rush Hour and other movies.

The thing that I don't get about this movie is how it's reached a level of popularity that's second bananna to Star Wars and The Matrix, but is still really high up there. Is it Milla Jojohovomobovich? Is it the film's depiction of the future (which looks like a hellish recreation of Walt Disney's old vision of flying cars and self-powered cities)? Is it the fact that the bad guy wields a really massive gun?

All I know is that the plot of this movie is really dumb. I enjoyed it, but I also enjoy most iterations of Power Rangers and this movie's plot is just a bit above that level. It's not nearly as philosophical as Star Trek, and usually isn't anywhere as action-oriented as Star Wars. So while it makes sense that I of low tastes would enjoy the dumb dialogue and gritty Tomorrowland stuff, I'm still not sure why such a large collection of other people, who DON'T wake up early on Saturday Morning in their adult years, actually do.

3/5, a collection of sci-fi cliches crammed together, but at least a different collection of cliches than the likes of George Lucas provide you. Also, any movie where airline stewardesses show more cleavage than that Britney Spears video simply can't get a two.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

quote:

Eunabomber came out of the closet to say:
"Are we green, Corbin Dallas?"

5/5, enjoyable funny scifi movie

Supergreen.

5/5. :megaman: Willis :megaman:

brains
May 12, 2004

Everytime I watch this movie, I see another piece of tongue-in-cheek humor that is inherent to the film and is quite amusing. An excellent movie all around, not too over-the-top sci-fi fanfare, and one of my personal favorites.

"Mul-ti pass!"
"Yeah, we know it's a multipass!"

5/5.

Domicron
May 10, 2004
I always hated this movie.

Never understand why people loved it so much... I found it cheesy, though bruce willis is still the man.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I enjoyed this film. It's a great fusion of fantasy plus science fiction, and pretty much every character is cast properly. I even enjoyed Chris Tucker's way-over-the-top character more than I thought I would (he was chewing more scenery than Gary Oldman, which is unusual).

I would have given it a 4.5, but it loses half a point (to 4) because you get beaten over the head with the "message" of the film right near the end. hurrrrrr war is bad hurrrrr Little subtlety please?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
This is one of my three favorite Movies That Don't Take Themselves Seriously. The other two are Big Trouble in Little China and Tank Girl(not furry). Unlike these, The Fifth Element includes decent to excellent acting. This means, basically everyone is decent and Gary Oldman is EXCELLENT. We have Chris Tucker playing Chris Tucker, Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis, and Milla Jovavich(did I slaughter this? Prolly.) playing HOT.

Ahem. The acting's not what's important in this movie, even though Oldman might make you smile a bit. It's the sense of humor and panache that make the movie what it is. Despite the haters who have posted previously, I proudly declare that I think the opera scene is mid-level badass. I also love all the fun bits that are thrown in, from an oriental (Thai?) dude who sells Bruce some soup, to Lt. Stonewall, the movie has a great sense of immersion.

The score is also top-rate, given you like the opera theme. Most of the other stuff is assorted electronica and the slightly lovely 'Light of Love' theme.

Did I mention the hotness? Oh, okay. Well, it always helps.

Overall, I love this movie and give it a 5/5.

PS. AZIZ, LIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
I still don't know what to make of this. It's decent popcorn sci-fi, and it certainly defies convention, but there are some conventions that need to be kept to.

I thought the Diva scene was really tasteful and pretty and kind of made me appreciate opera little. Then the techno music kicked in and ruined the whole thing. Super loving gay. I don't care if it was supposed to be tongue in cheek and funny, it was loving stupid.

Chris Tucker is not funny, nor has he ever been funny, and he single-handedly made me want to hate this movie despite some of its strengths. High-pitched-voice-squeaky-annoying-pussy-human being characters like his are not comedy relief. They are infuriating irritation in its purest form.

Milla Jovovich does some good acting, and is hot. Her fight scenes are over the top stupid, but the scenes where she actually has to act are really good.

Bruce Willis can do no wrong in my eyes. "Anyone else wanna negotiate?" is the best line in the movie and I really, really love that scene.

Gary Oldman is another guy that can do no wrong. The BFG 9000 demo scene is my 2nd favorite scene in the movie, and his character really needed a lot more screen time.

Oh yeah, and hiring the ugliest, worst actor in the universe to play the loving PRESIDENT? Give me a loving break.

And we never found out what the big evil asteroid thing in space WAS that made Gary Oldman's head bleed crude oil. WTF was that all about?

I don't see how so many people went so ga-ga over this. I guess I just took it more seriously than I should have.

Since I can't make up my mind whether I truly hated it more than I liked it, I'll give it a 2.5/5.