Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

When I first saw this movie in theaters I absolutely loathed it, but then I went in expecting your standard bang-bang action flick. In repeat viewings on DVD or on TV I have come to appreciate this movie more and more. While there is a great deal of action in the movie, it's nonetheless some weird different genre unto itself. It's highly goofy, but the goofiness is all part of the fun. Easily the best part of the movie is the raw style it oozes -- everything from the design of the gigantic vertical city down to the incredible costumes the characters wear. The mysterious aliens are like big shuffling jukeboxes and the stewardesses wear bizarre future-retro suits with crescent-moon boob cutouts and big pillbox hats. The actors generally appear to be enjoying themselves, except for the out of place uber-deadpanning of the President, which I assume was intentionally done to make the plot that much more weird. Bruce Willis does all his standard action-movie mugging, and Milla Jovavich is super hot with her bright orange hair, moon language, and crazy-rear end outfit. Gary Oldman deserves special mention as one of the weirdest villains in recent history, with a French name, a southern drawl, and a general so-unthreatening-hes-threatening demeanor.

Overall The Fifth Element is a highly entertaining romp that throws all sorts of influences and styles into an action pastiche and lets it roll around in its own juices. Just be prepared to have a good time and not to take it too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU