Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
First of all, Ugly_Jim mentioned in his review that the President was "a sports guy", and I'll expand on that in this paragraph to mention the hilarious story: Tiny Lister (yes, that's his name) was a villain opposite Hulk Hogan in the horrible movie No Holds Barred. That movie flopped so hard that the WWF tried to promote it desperatelyto wrestling fans by making Lister a wrestler who had left the silver screen and entered the real world (or the "real world" that is the mini-universe of the WWF, of course) to extract revenge on Hogan. And he had about as much wrestling skill and experience as your usual Hollywood type.

Uh... Yeah. Anyway, enough of him. This movie is pretty good as a tongue-in-cheek (don't you just hate that phrase?) scifi flick, and the special effects still hold up although I would have sworn the Star Wars prequels were going to blow them away at the time. Bruce Willis plays any of his other interchangable action hero characters except one who's struggling a bit to adapt to this futuristic world, Milla Whatshername is born to save the world and show off her perky boobs (same thing?), and Chris Tucker plays Chris Tucker with an overly fruity fashion sense, the role which probably introduced him to most people. Though Tucker went on to more or less play the same character in more modern clothing, the few scenes he shows up in here are still pretty funny despite how nerve-grating he became in Rush Hour and other movies.

The thing that I don't get about this movie is how it's reached a level of popularity that's second bananna to Star Wars and The Matrix, but is still really high up there. Is it Milla Jojohovomobovich? Is it the film's depiction of the future (which looks like a hellish recreation of Walt Disney's old vision of flying cars and self-powered cities)? Is it the fact that the bad guy wields a really massive gun?

All I know is that the plot of this movie is really dumb. I enjoyed it, but I also enjoy most iterations of Power Rangers and this movie's plot is just a bit above that level. It's not nearly as philosophical as Star Trek, and usually isn't anywhere as action-oriented as Star Wars. So while it makes sense that I of low tastes would enjoy the dumb dialogue and gritty Tomorrowland stuff, I'm still not sure why such a large collection of other people, who DON'T wake up early on Saturday Morning in their adult years, actually do.

3/5, a collection of sci-fi cliches crammed together, but at least a different collection of cliches than the likes of George Lucas provide you. Also, any movie where airline stewardesses show more cleavage than that Britney Spears video simply can't get a two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU