Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Directed by: Luc Besson
Starring: Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker

A futuristic dystopian story where Bruce Willis must save the universe.

This movie is a gritty, grimy, dirty story of a futuristic crisis where big money, a priest, and an ex-Army guy all fight over the same thing. Zerg wants the stones for a client who is willing to pay big money. The priest wants them so he can complete an ancient ritual and save the world. Bruce Willis wants them so he can save the world himself.

Earth is a rubbish-filled dystopia. It is terrible. The Police have great powers, and they regularly use them. Every apartment has a place marked on the wall for where you stand when the Police come searching for criminals. The place is equipped with sirens and alarms built into the wall which the Police can activate during a search. Police cars are fitted with machine guns which they use on fleeing suspects. Your license automatically deducts points and cancels itself as you break traffic laws.

Another sign of the overbearing control is the size of the filter on cigarettes.

Yet if you're rich enough you can fly away on a holiday to Flouston Paradise.

The film is visually stunning, not just because of Milla Jovovich, but also because of the special effects.

Worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
How much is it a dystopia?

Well it definately is not the focus of the movie, but after watching my DVD a bit closer the dystopian aspects were more noticeable. They were there in the background but I just never paid attention to them.

The society was under a very tough police state. The interrogation circles, flashing lights hidden in the ceiling, police brutality, machine guns mounted on police cars, machine guns by the ticket office, etc.

I think it was just a subtle black comedy twist. I wish the DVD had commentary.