Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

quote:

Arm Unit 700 came out of the closet to say:
The opera/fight scene was highly, highly cringe worthy.

That's one of Besson's trademarks, putting together an intercut scene like that. I'll admit, the soundtrack at that point really detracts, though, making it one of the least enjoyable examples of the effect in his career.

Much respect to kimihia for providing the thread, but this movie is about as far from dystopian as sci-fi movies get. Most of the jaw-dropping visuals are drenched in light and squeaky clean. The Fifth Element earned my respect for being one of the first movies where digital effects played a major, yet not over-blown part of the show. In nearly every case they enhance the scene, rather than attempting to steal it. Beyond the visuals, the setting shares the vibrant, optimistic outlook of the photography. It's a future that works. That's where the grime and garbage creep in; they're natural parts of a busy future - no different than a little detritus on the streets of movie set in modern New York.

It's definitely goofy, light-hearted and easy on the brain cells. And yet one of the things that makes it so enjoyable is that as simple as the plot and characters are, the world in which they exist is meticulously, lovingly crafted - a sort of "Lord of the Rings in Space" effect. There are dozens of little moments in the movie - mostly visual - that will tickle your fancy when you notice them. Linguica noted some of them - I'll add my personal favorite: I love the Rastafarian ground crew passing a joint while they prepare the space liner for takeoff.

All in all, it certainly ain't Kubrick. But it's not Bruckheimer, either - it's got personality, and personality goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU